Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow How big should my grow room be

Very good, practical questions sir. I have no light whatsoever atm, been looking at the AutoCobs. I’d need four in either case, they’re both 7>8-feet tall and there’s just a $20 difference. I’m also open to LEC/CMH lighting and the extra heat generated might be quite beneficial, considering the location. It’s a detached brick garage, tall peaked roof w/ typical English tiles and of course it’s not insulated.

Yield requirements would be minimum of 1 ounce a month, which would represent a nice increase to my current rations. Multiply that by 50% for the hell of it, so 18 oz annually. Of course if I wanna squish some then we better say 24 oz per year. Is that reasonable?

The tent will be situated in a back corner of the room, both back corners have double GFC Mains outlets. I’ll line the floor and both walls of the corner with rigid foam insulation 2 inches thick. With an appropriate length of greenhouse tube heater and/or reptile heating pads under the pots, I should be okay. I’m leaning towards a DWC system but also heard good things about coco coir/drip systems for noobs.

I love y’all and appreciate your help and input more than you know! So fucking great to have such a nice, modern, secure and civilised place to talk about this most important topic. I’m excited to get my feet wet on a tiny scale where the stakes aren’t too high! But I’m still buying a decent tent so if/when I expand, I can still use it in some capacity.

If you can benefit from the heat, HID's are really hard to beat. The nugs from HPS flowers are very potent and dense, even at 600W in a 4x4. I think LED's are fun and can be really good but they're more expensive. Your yields in a tent come from canopy management, scrog method works well gotta learn to top and train so the whole canopy produces the same quality tops.

DWC is a lot of work in my experience unless you get the plumbing. I think coco coir can give the same sort of benefits with a lot more work =/ Organics and no till gardening can give you some really damn good buds and easy as hell to feed, just water.

In a tent? Like in those air fabric pots? Can you buy the organic medium? I’m wanting to get started ASAP, so don’t have time to build up a homemade mix. I thought that DWC would be easy for two plants, I know absolutely zilch though.

Yeah, though not really sure what size pot you'd want, a big one preferably. Check this guy out on youtube, he has an amazing operation going on in a room. Trying to replicate nature in the soil.

You could go either way, there are organic mixes you can use right away though I've heard some are still a little hot. I've used ocean forest mixed with light warrior for an organic base soil, you will have to make compost teas to feed it through bloom. Coco coir with hydroponic nutrients is more work on the feeding but quick to get started. IDK which one I prefer to be honest, it's all fun to mess around with. I wanna do a flood/drain table one of these days. My good friend does that with LED's and has great results.

Last edited:
I find mixing 4ml per liter of part A and 4ml per liter of part B (whatever the instructions say) is the easiest way to go (a $10 digital ph pen to get the ph to 5.08 to 6.3), Canna nutrients are my preferred Hydro nutrients. I grow in a nix of perlite and vermiculite 66% perlite, 33% vermiculite (both reusable)
I have just gone through a heap of research to upgrade my 600w hps (magnetic ballast uses 725w of power) and decided CMH is the best bang for your buck ATM, a single 315w would suit your 3x3 tent perfectly and would be cheaper to buy than those 4x cobs(they would draw 215w but put out way less than the CMH.

In a tent? Like in those air fabric pots? Can you buy the organic medium? I’m wanting to get started ASAP, so don’t have time to build up a homemade mix. I thought that DWC would be easy for two plants, I know absolutely zilch though.

If you want to grow organically, I know England has a lot of organic growers, you are in England, right? A long long time ago I stumbled on an English organic forum that had a wealth of knowledge. Unfortunately I can't remember the forum, but you might want to look at some local help. In the forum I mentioned they used a lot of stuff I did not have access to. And I don't know if what I use is available there. I found the forum researching comfrey. A plant I grow for fertilizer. Not that you want to grow a separate plant for fertilizer, my point is there is a lot of English knowledge out there you might wanna tap if you grow organically.

To each there own, but I think if I were you, I might look at a 4x4 tent with 600 watts of light in whatever form that fits your situation. You could get your yearly supply in two yearly grows. In my old house I built a grow box that was 3x3 inside and used a 600 watt hps light. That box more than supplied me and my wife with 2-3 grows per year.

There is no greater indicator of grow success than light to sq footage. Of course you also have to have a plan to cool that light. So you need a lot of air flow. And that brings up smell. Flowering mj puts off very pungent odors that you probably wanna control.

Not sure if this helps, but it's something to think about.

Hey, pxl_jockey!

Re: lights and spaces - I’m gonna echo what Shredder said, and unpack it a bit.

The “magic number” is 40...by which I mean, the *minimum* watts per square foot. If possible, higher.
A single CMH, 315w, translates to 35 in a 3x3 (9 sq.ft). A 600w anything in the same space gives 100, which may be enough to burn your plants, but in a 4x4 (16 sq.ft) gives you 37.5. A 630 CMH in that tent gives 40 watts per foot.

A popular choice is 30”x30” (5 sq.ft) which gets 52.5w per.... Whether or not that’s room for more than one plant, I can’t say, but I know of a few folks who have no trouble pulling 12+ ounces per grow out of this configuration

As you can see, the choices of light and of tent size are intertwined.

Second run about to kick off as soon as I can be reasonably sure I’m not gonna be sent back to hospital. No way I can be gone for 10-14 days for IV drugs & observation and let good beans go to waste. I wish I could get my cannameds easily and inexpensively so there wasn’t any pressure. Pressure pushing down on me - Pressing down on you, no man ask for. Know what I’m saying?

It’s funny, after one decently successful crop of autos I now know that I would still provide for myself even if we had dispensaries in the UK. Don’t get me wrong, I’d definitely take advantage of the variety but the experience is really empowering. Just knowing what’s been done at every stage and realising that the horticulture bit isn’t so difficult as some might want you to believe. Thanks people!

Second run about to kick off as soon as I can be reasonably sure I’m not gonna be sent back to hospital. No way I can be gone for 10-14 days for IV drugs & observation and let good beans go to waste. I wish I could get my cannameds easily and inexpensively so there wasn’t any pressure. Pressure pushing down on me - Pressing down on you, no man ask for. Know what I’m saying?

It’s funny, after one decently successful crop of autos I now know that I would still provide for myself even if we had dispensaries in the UK. Don’t get me wrong, I’d definitely take advantage of the variety but the experience is really empowering. Just knowing what’s been done at every stage and realising that the horticulture bit isn’t so difficult as some might want you to believe. Thanks people!
I hope you don't have to go to the hospital. I'm so sorry you are ill, and am wishing you good health. It is wonderful you had a successful crop, and you are right. It is empowering to know you can grow your own meds. I think we grow inside a bit with every plant we cultivate. We can then share our crops and our wisdom, and help others grow as well.
I'm wishing you only the best, @pxl_jockey :weed:

I do...and a happy Bowie Sunday to you!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back