Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Meds How Medical Cannabis is Perceived

momofthegoons

Vapor Accessory Addict
Staff member
@Baron23 made two comments recently that resonated with me:

I have often thought; 1) that we too often exaggerate the benefits of MMJ to the detriment of our credibility and; 2) we are too quick to embrace homeopathic type treatments while being far to quick to dismiss standard medical treatments.

I'm four square an advocate for full and open legalization. On the other hand, I'm not so supportive of people fraudulently playing the medical MJ system as this just gives support to asshats who believe that MMJ programs are just a cover for recreational use.

I happen to agree with him on both items.

On the first (embracing it as a 'cure all') it is critical that people are careful not to dismiss real medical concerns; thinking that if they only use cannabis they will be cured. For instance, it is claimed that cannabis can cure cancer. And that may very well be true in some circumstances. But to withhold all traditional medicine and treatment in favor of only using cannabis would be fool hardy imo. A better alternative, also imo, would be to combine treatments. The best of both worlds; so to speak.

Then again, I know of several people who have been able to get off of many pharmaceuticals (@Killick springs to mind first :biggrin: show them that pic you posted recently of all your old meds.....) using cannabis as an alternative. I think that pharmaceuticals are often overprescribed and can create dependencies and a disadvantage to the patient. Some of those pharmaceuticals create a need for other drugs to combat side effects.

Then there's the people who fake illness to receive medical cannabis. When it was first legalized, here in Michigan, that practice was rampant. And successful. Many (most) people were 'certified' in janke 'clinics' for back pain, etc. with no validation or supportive evidence whatsoever. That changed the year I got legal and you now have to bring in substantiation that you've been treated for the ailment. At least that's the way it's supposed to work. The clinic I go to is a good one and does. And has you come in for a follow up visit with the doctor one year into your two year certification. But there are tons that will still get you certified with no proof at all. Point to your elbow and say it hurts. You're in.

IMO I think cannabis should just be legal and skip all this nonsense. But if we are going to differentiate between medicinal and recreational cannabis usage and the medical patients have to pay substantial fees to the state for the 'privilege' of using it medicinally (another thing that yanks my chain.... we don't pay for the privilege of using Xanex, Oxy, etc. beyond the doctor visit) I would think the process should tighten up. And that the medicinal patients (who have paid the fees) should get substantial discounts on their meds. And not have to pay tax on their medicine since they are not taxed on any pharma meds they've been prescribed. Let the higher prices and taxes be paid by those using recreationally. :twocents:

Great post, @momofthegoons (well, you DID agree with me, right! LOL...that's a great post in my world haha).

And that the medicinal patients (who have paid the fees) should get substantial discounts on their meds. And not have to pay tax on their medicine since they are not taxed on any pharma meds they've been prescribed. Let the higher prices and taxes be paid by those using recreationally. :twocents:

As I mentioned in another thread, in Maryland we are not taxed directly for our medical. Its like pharma drugs, no tax. However, they levy a $50/once excise tax at the cultivators, which of course is passed down, so we are essentially paying a tax. Most galling is that as prices come down, the tax rate will go up as the $50/once is fixed and independent on market prices for the product.

Great post, @momofthegoons (well, you DID agree with me, right! LOL...that's a great post in my world haha).

As I mentioned in another thread, in Maryland we are not taxed directly for our medical. Its like pharma drugs, no tax. However, they levy a $50/once excise tax at the cultivators, which of course is passed down, so we are essentially paying a tax. Most galling is that as prices come down, the tax rate will go up as the $50/once is fixed and independent on market prices for the product.
I had to quit work at 52?
Once while surfing near my home when I was 45 maybe?
This man 60 in excellent condition said to me: “if you’re not healthy your not wealthy ?

Auto-Immune suck’s as the wave’s are firing ?
That is Why I read so much!
CANNABIS is my friend.
I hope we all share this wonderful plant?

Last edited:
More people use marijuana to treat illness than to get high, study says
A survey of more than 165,000 people found nearly half of regular marijuana users are treating a medical condition

Marijuana use study illnesses

THOM CARROLL/PHILLYVOICE

Roughly 46% of regular marijuana users do so because of a medical condition, compared to 22% who use marijuana for recreational purposes.

Nearly twice as many people in the United States use marijuana to treat illnesses as those who use marijuana to get high, according to a new study.

Roughly 46% of regular marijuana users do so because of a medical condition, according to a study published Friday in the JAMA Open Network, compared to 22% who use marijuana for recreational purposes. The study surveyed more than 165,000 men and women across the country between 2016 and 2017.

"Adults with medical conditions, especially those with respiratory conditions, cancer, and depression, were more likely to use marijuana," the study's authors noted in its conclusions. "At present, marijuana use prevalence decreases with age, even among people with medical conditions. Because public perceptions of marijuana are becoming more favorable and medical conditions increase with age, older adults might also become frequent consumers of marijuana."

Hongying Dai, an associate professor at the University of Nebraska Medical Center and lead researcher on the study, told U.S. News & World Report that there's still a relative vacuum of data and information about marijuana's usefulness.

"Patients who are taking marijuana for a medical condition should be informed of evidence of efficacy and adverse effects for that condition," Dai said.

Roughly one in four 18- to 24-year-olds use medical marijuana, according to the study, compared to just 2% of people who are at least 65 years old. The most popular way to use marijuana, across all demographics, is smoking, accounting for 77.5% of regular users.

Earlier this year, Pennsylvania added anxiety disorders to a growing list of treatable symptoms in its medical marijuana program. The program currently has 23 approved conditions.

Just this week, the National Institutes of Health launched a number of grant-funded studies intended to determine whether cannabidiol, one of the active ingredients in marijuana, effectively relieves pain.

One of the studies will be conducted by Temple University researchers, and will evaluate how the effects of four different components of cannabis could protect against pain development.

I really don't understand why you feel this way about medical marijuana. She does not claim to be a cure for all diseases. Usually, medical cannabis is used to treat headache, abdominal pain, mild anxiety, and more. About a year ago, I also started using this tool. Even if they create a placebo effect, they do work. Unlike regular pills that harm the liver, medical cannabis has almost no flaws. At the beginning, I didn't believe it would help either, but a friend of mine who visited the dispensary advised me to try medical marijuana. It really helped me get rid of a headache that lasted a very long time.

Mod note: edited to remove link

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't understand why you feel this way about medical marijuana. She does not claim to be a cure for all diseases. Usually, medical cannabis is used to treat headache, abdominal pain, mild anxiety, and more. About a year ago, I also started using this tool. Even if they create a placebo effect, they do work. Unlike regular pills that harm the liver, medical cannabis has almost no flaws. At the beginning, I didn't believe it would help either, but a friend of mine who visited the dispensary advised me to try medical marijuana. It really helped me get rid of a headache that lasted a very long time.

Mod note: edited to remove link
When life was a dreamily dazed esoteric false reality marijuana was the word used for this demonized plant?
I was guilty of living a dream as a young gun?
As a OLD DUDE I found CANNABIS to help medically?
Enough of my take!
I agree with you’re take for what it’s worth?

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back