Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Meds Ice Dragon Tincture

momofthegoons

Vapor Accessory Addict
Staff member

Ice Dragon: Cannabis Freezer Tincture Recipe (No Heat)

DSC_0113-scaled.jpg

What if you're too busy to nurse a crockpot, can't find the plug to your Magical Butter MB2 (like me last weekend), and don't feel like waiting several weeks to long steep a tincture?

The answer? The Ice Dragon Tincture Recipe.

Today’s tincture post is written by Fiona (Corinne's assistant) after getting my hands on a copy of Dazed + Infused from the Cannabis Coaching Institute training program. (Yes, I'm finally going for my cannabis coach certification this year because after two years at Wake + Bake, it's about dayum time.)

As a single mom of two lively little boys, I love recipes that are

1. easy to make
  2. quick to finish, and
  3. don't make me feel anxious about making something explode in my kitchen
The Ice Dragon Tincture checks all of those boxes.

Why use the freezer method over the heat method to make a tincture​

I originally started recommending the Ice Dragon Tincture to people who have expressed feeling anxious or paranoid when smoking weed and too terrified of setting something on fire when heating alcohol.

As someone who is clinically diagnosed with schizoaffective bipolar disorder, paranoia is definitely something I've struggled to cope with.

When it comes to cannabis, it's a double-edged sword. For me, a high-THC, low-CBD strain can send me spiraling to a place where I think I'm being chased by elephants, yet the right microdose can stabilize my moods so well I no longer use prescription medication (with my doctor's approval!)

That being said, I get paranoia. It doesn't matter how many experts or science journals say that low heat won't cause alcohol to set on fire in your kitchen – if using heat with your tinctures makes you feel stressed, this method might be worth trying out.

Customizing your tincture for your personal goals​

After my first three weeks of Cannabis Coaching Institute, I learned some interesting things about healing with cannabis (go easy on me, cannabis experts, I'm still learning!):

• If you dumped a bunch of weed into your alcohol and I dumped a bunch of weed into my alcohol, following the same exact recipe, you and I can still get wildly different results.
  • It's not even about sativa vs. indica vs. hybrids. The percentage of THC and CBD in the plant must be considered. The different terpenes (which give specific strains their “flavor” and helps shape the effect) will change the end result.
Knowing this can be so frustrating because tinctures aren't predictable the way popping a Tylenol might be, but you can experiment with different strains, cannabinoids, and dosages to completely customize your experience.

Now that's freakin' dope.

I'd love to write more about the different compounds I learned in Cannabis Coaching Institute to help you shape your fully customized experience, but we'd be here for a while and we all know that food bloggers can get long-winded.

How to use the Ice Dragon tincture​

There are two primary ways you can use your tincture:

• Sublingually (under the tongue)
  • In edibles (swallowed)
Sublingual application is definitely faster. You'll feel the effects within 15-20 minutes and those effects will peak in 60-90 minutes. If you use strong proof alcohol, you can burn the tissue under your tongue so be aware of that.

Swallowing tinctures will take longer for you to feel the effects, at 30-60 minutes. It will peak in 2-3 hours. It's not as the-room-is-spinning dramatic as fat-based edibles might be. These are perfect for putting in your coffee, ice cubes, and gummies.

The Ice Dragon Tincture Recipe​

You will need:

• Two mason jars with a plastic lids
  • Decarboxylated cannabis (THC, CBD, CBG or whatever ratio you choose)
  • Enough 80 proof+ alcohol to cover your cannabis*
  • Room in the back of your freezer
* If you vape, you can also use your AVB (already vaped bud) in this recipe, too!

Instructions:

1. Head over to the THC/CBD calculator and enter your numbers. Keep a record of these numbers so you're aware of how much you're taking per dose.
  2. Place the decarbed cannabis and alcohol in the freezer SEPERATELY. Allowing them to get really cold is said to help the trichomes (which produce the effects you're looking for) break off without the chlorophyll seeping into your tincture (which can be hard on your palate).
  3. Wait 60 minutes.
  4. Place the frozen cannabis into your mason jar.
  5. Pour in enough very cold alcohol to cover your plant material completely.
  6. Put the lid on the mason jar and shake vigorously for several minutes.
  7. Place in the coldest part of your freezer (usually the back).
  8. Shake again every 3-5 hours and place back in the freezer.
The tincture will be ready to use in as soon as a day, though I found it to be more potent after several days. You can leave the tincture in the freezer for a couple of weeks, if you'd like.

When the tincture has reached the desired potency, strain out the plant material and pour the tincture into dark glass dropper bottles.

You can store this tincture in the fridge for up to 6 months.

This recipe was originally published in Dazed + Infused by Corinne Tobias

Final Notes on Ice Dragon Tincture​

This is one of the, in my opinion, easier tinctures to make, especially when introducing other people to different methods of ingestion. It's now my go-to whenever someone is trying to move away from smoking or wants to try cannabis for the first time. You can also infuse other herbs into this tincture if you'd like something more calming or energizing (yay terpenes).

And for my fellow friends who deal with fire-based paranoia or fears, I hope this recipe is something that can give you an alternative to other methods of crafting tinctures.

Like the name, I do cold ethanol extractions with ever clear 190 proof
Newbie to all of this and going to different sites to see what folks are doing with their tincture
Currently working on infusing simple syrup with tincture reduction
IMG_20201012_140711.jpg

IMG_20201110_124018.jpg

IMG_20201003_094447.jpg

IMG_20201003_093807.jpg

Some random pics of my work, having problems with separation of the syrup when poured on its own into club soda/ tonic water
Searching for a remedy

having problems with separation of the syrup when poured on its own into club soda/ tonic water
Searching for a remedy
Your syrup looks awfully thick... and that might be part of the problem.

However, I've purchased RSO Koolaid from the dispensaries and have had the same separation problem. Had to keep shaking the container to mix... so perhaps the only answer for mixing with a cold beverage is a stir stick.

I would think it would mix in well with anything hot you made though.

I bind the reduced tincture to the simple syrup using a product called 210S ( mix of xanthan/acacia gums)
This causes the thickening
I use this to minimize the cannabis taste in my edibles, A water cure and cold ethanol extraction on flower work well
Mostly for folks who cannot get shatter or distillate or if you are growing your own and want to skip the process of making more complex concentrates
Trying for a general purpose syrup, makes chocolate milk to sorbet and a whole lot in between, pie filling etc.
I still have quite a bit to learn, working my way through the different sites
It will dissolve and hold together in carbonation if I add reduced juice like apple or a fruit puree, but the internet is unforgiving and I have to make sure the syrup holds together on its own
This will hold up in tang, no shaking

on second day of water curing AVB, waiting on that brown water to clear up, will use Everclear grain alcohol for the Golden/Ice Dragon this week.
is 2 days or less adequate for the ICe technique? i may FECO half of it and see what comes of it?
ID.jpg

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back