Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

If you could build the perfect vape.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

momofthegoons

Vapor Accessory Addict
Staff member
Fellow asylum members....

I was recently contacted by Kevin of @Everoll regarding help in designing a few new vapes. He will be collaborating with a company called Everoll. Some of you may remember that Kevin was with Yocan and helped design the Nyx, the Torch and the Evolve series. He left Yocan because he didn't like the direction they were going in; using cheaper materials in their manufacturing and formed Aovape.

The company he is partnering with is interested in what vaporists would like in a dry herb portable vape, a wax pen and a CBD pen (which imo is the same as a wax pen). They would like our suggestions and will design the vapes according to our specifications.

I think this is a great opportunity for our community to help make a series of vapes; designed with our specific needs in mind.

Wax pens
Personally, I'd like to see them steer away from the atomizers that Yocan and Aovape have used in the past; the coils or raised platform ceramic type. I'd love for them to do something more like the Puffco Plus ceramic well. But the one thing I'd love to see added to that (and that was in the wax pens from Yocan and Aovape) is the little cap that encloses the atomizer well and helps with spilling and leakage. I would also like for the pen to not be huge. The Evolve Plus packed a punch but the size of it was off putting to me. I prefer a slimmer pen. They're more discreet.

The flip side would be to use a cartridge and a box mod. That would also be a discreet option. But I would still want the cartridge to have that ceramic well. And if using a pre-filled CBD cartridge that would work as well.

Dry Herb vape
This is where I struggle a bit. I'll be the first to say I haven't tried a lot of the portables out there. A lot of the less expensive portables that I've tried have coils for the heat.. and often the coils are too close to the herb and scorch (or combust) it. Most of the herb vapes that are labeled as convection are a combination of convection and conduction. My jury is out as to which is best/better. I haven't tried enough of them to know tbh.

So I am going to rely on some of you fine members to help out in this department. So how about posting on what you would like to see in each category of vape? There is a good possibility that there will be a few samples coming our way for testing purposes after the initial ideas are put into development. So those who have contributed most in this thread, and have given the most ideas that have been implemented, would be the ones receiving those.

Hopefully Kevin will be joining in on our conversation, but I know he'll be watching in any case. So... who's in for helping?

Last edited:
First, a responsive and helpful customer service dept. is extremely important.

Dry Herb;

I would like to see a nicely shaped and comfortable mouthpiece. Not flat or a thin 'straw' type mouthpiece.

Cool vapor at any temp. Either a built-in or add-on cooling unit similar to the cooling unit add-on for the S&B Mighty.

Well built, with quality, non toxic materials. Nice weight. Not too light, not too heavy.

Thick, but not Pax thick. And not Grass Hopper thin. Somewhere between the two.

I would also like to see for lack of better phrasing, emissions testing. Prove to us that it's safe to use your vape. No off-gassing.

No Wifi/Bluetooth. Automatic shut off after maybe 5 minutes. No holding down a button when taking a pull.

First, a responsive and helpful customer service dept. is extremely important.

Dry Herb;

I would like to see a nicely shaped and comfortable mouthpiece. Not flat or a thin 'straw' type mouthpiece.

Cool vapor at any temp. Either a built-in or add-on cooling unit similar to the cooling unit add-on for the S&B Mighty.

Well built, with quality, non toxic materials. Nice weight. Not too light, not too heavy.

Thick, but not Pax thick. And not Grass Hopper thin. Somewhere between the two.

I would also like to see for lack of better phrasing, emissions testing. Prove to us that it's safe to use your vape. No off-gassing.

No Wifi/Bluetooth. Automatic shut off after maybe 5 minutes. No holding down a button when taking a pull.

My first thought would be a mighty with removable batteries. I really like the mighty mouthpiece in that it cools the vapor so well. I miss that in my fury 2, but the fury 2 is impressively small, and that can be important as well. Cool vapor and taste is important to me. More important than speed or gigantic clouds, or any convection conduction labels.

Pens idk, never met one I really liked. The metal coils are the worst. If somehow they could get a dnail taste in a portable I'd be all over it. It's a shame too because the stealth of a pen is off the charts.

My fave flower vape, RBTs Milaana, remains one of the simpler ones - user replaceable battery, near instant on, and rugged. It took 18 months to break the first one, and it's been dropped a lot. Out of pocket, out of ATV, dropped in a creek, and one good bounce off a tractor tire, with only 1 glass loss due to a bad landing.

Wax pens... I haven't really found a great vape for rosin as yet. The Puffco unit was suggested, but I haven't tried it. The Yocan Evolve+ was a decent unit, but the batteries kept pooching, so I stopped replacing it. I'm currently using a Siaonara atomizer from Humboldt Vape Tech, with donut coils, and it's pretty decent. I *just now* tested it with an F-Bomb hydratube with great success.

CBD vape - Why wouldn't the usual flower and wax pens be sufficient?

I don't know if any of you ever tried the Torch.... it was a pretty nifty concept. The only thing I didn't like about it was the coil atomizer. It had a built in water pipe adapter that could be switched out for male or female connections. While not really a portable option, it was pretty cool. I'd love to see them make something along those lines with a much more refined atomizer.
Of course, if it was something with a built in water pipe that might be even cooler. Like the Puffco Peak.

user replaceable battery,
I think this would be a good idea for any of the portable vapes; herb or wax if they're trying to compete in the current market.

Now that others have mentioned it, I agree with replaceable batteries.

One thing about my Fury 2 is the USB cord for charging is short. A wireless charging pad like what's used for charging cell phones would be a great option. A dock would also be good.

IMO what both herb and wax options should have is something to cool down/smooth out the hit that is built into the mouthpiece. I think that it is high time that manufacturers start giving us vapes that don't see us sucking vapor directly off of a heater (like the Solo) with no kind of cooling path (like the Mighty/Crafty cooling unit for example). So many vapes are too hot and harsh to use directly!

Most portables on the market at present require a bubbler for my purposes, as the direct vapor with no bubbler is too dry and harsh for my needs. IMO, when you require a water piece on the end of your portable vape to make the hits smooth enough, that vape isn't exactly very portable anymore. This is one of the factors that saw me selling my Grasshopper and has left me feeling uninspired by a lot of the current crop of vapes. :twocents:

To help keep it organized and a bit more concise for Kevin....

We have a common ground in the following:

* We want replaceable batteries whether it be a dry herb or wax portable.
* We want it to be made from safe, quality non toxic materials.
* We would like it to have something built in to cool the vapor so that we aren't inhaling straight off the
heater.
* We would like something portable and on the small side; rather than bulky and needing a water pipe.

@BD9 had mentioned customer service... and since Aovape is a wholesaler that would fall to the retailers that carried the vape. So I don't think we can factor that into our conversation. So how about we just say reliable? We've determined, for instance, that the Evolve batteries pooped out quickly (and some came dead on arrival in my case). We would like the vape to work, and work well, out of the box. So better quality control and testing perhaps at the factory level?

And another thought from @BD9 is a wireless charging pad. This would be another feature that would be innovative in the market.

Did I miss anything?

[QUOTE="momofthegoons, post: 15713,

Did I miss anything?[/QUOTE]

Easy to load and easy to clean is important.

Efficiency, especially with concentrates would be nice. Most concentrate vapes either have to be fed tiny amounts and cleaned often, or your vaping basically reclaim soon after loading and using.

To help keep it organized and a bit more concise for Kevin....

We have a common ground in the following:

* We want replaceable batteries whether it be a dry herb or wax portable.
* We want it to be made from safe, quality non toxic materials.
* We would like it to have something built in to cool the vapor so that we aren't inhaling straight off the
heater.
* We would like something portable and on the small side; rather than bulky and needing a water pipe.

a wireless charging pad. This would be another feature that would be innovative in the market.

Did I miss anything?

Add @Shredder's point about easy to load and clean, and I think that covers it. Hm. It sounds like it should be simple. I don't think anyone made any outrageous or impossible requests. Well, the wireless charging thing may require a good bit of engineering.

What do you all think about magnets instead of threads?

What do you all think about magnets instead of threads?

Just to clarify the question.

Most vapes use threads to assemble and disassemble for cleaning, loading, etc., Threads can wear out or strip. That's why I was asking about magnets.
I don't think magnets would wear out.

What do you all think?

Just to clarify the question.

Most vapes use threads to assemble and disassemble for cleaning, loading, etc., Threads can wear out or strip. That's why I was asking about magnets.
I don't think magnets would wear out.

What do you all think?
I think they would work for certain parts of the pen or vape. Look at the X Max Starry; the mouthpiece/top attaches with a magnet that seems pretty strong. I don't see why it wouldn't be a great option for any type of vape. The key is a strong magnet though.

I had another thought today about temperatures. I prefer a digital temperature readout to set temps in a flower vape. That way you can fine tune your desired temperature. It's sort of nice for wax as well; hence the box mod thought earlier. I like being in control rather than relying on an option of 3 - 5 preset temperatures.

Had another thought this morning of something to add to our list of things desired in a vape; an isolated air path. We want to make sure that the air path is not in contact with any of the electronics, etc. I'd like to see it made, preferably, out of glass like the Fury 2. It lends itself to better flavor.

Had another thought this morning of something to add to our list of things desired in a vape; an isolated air path. We want to make sure that the air path is not in contact with any of the electronics, etc. I'd like to see it made, preferably, out of glass like the Fury 2. It lends itself to better flavor.

Thats one of the most important things for me.. im surprised it wasnt mentioned earlier...

In no particular order.

1: Non Toxic; No off gassing, an isolated air path

2: Cool Vapor

3: Size; Not too big, not too small

4: Easy to load and clean

5: Removable batteries

6: No set temps; Ability for user to fine tune temps.

7: Fast heat up time

8: Efficient

9: Better charging options; Pad or dock, long cord.

10: No leakage; Closed off well. For Concentrates.

11: Sturdy; Well built, able to withstand hot & cold extremes

12: LED readout; Ability to turn lights off for more stealth

Did I miss anything?

I was just perusing some old threads and came across this one. It appears that Kevin has fallen off the face of the earth... I haven't heard back from him so I can only assume that this project never got off the ground.

No point in keeping the thread open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back