Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Meds IG vs OG

Basement Farmer

Since there is a vast number of choices to select from in a rec state, I've developed a strong preference for outdoor grown.

Taste is superior IMO. Like hot house tomatoes vs. garden fresh..not nearly as pretty, but just as flavorful. More honest....along the lines of what I remember 'weed' looking and smelling like (minus the skunk) Perhaps an acquired taste tho.

Cost...often because of looks I assume. The more flavorful but ugly apples of cannabis. It seems that a lot of the high-end stuff goes for the cookies, cake and cream appeal. Not that sweets are bad but I can't believe there is enough there to justify the premium price for the day-to-day material.

It's kind of cool to run across the older school stuff that cycles thru the shops. Got some Jack Herrer and White Widow in the can last summer. Both lower grade outdoor grown stuff very reasonably priced = sold out quick.

Often locally sourced and outdoor grown equals perhaps less stress on the environment and good for the economy.

Seasonal, so what is available is usually fresh and lab certified.

Much prefer outdoor and have been extolling the virtues since as soon as "hydro" or any other type of indoor crap was even sporadically available. "Nothing beats the sun" are (some of) my exact words...

Taste is superior IMO. Like hot house tomatoes vs. garden fresh..not nearly as pretty, but just as flavorful.

That's the sun & fresh air you're tasting (rain too)! Nothing beats a tomato fresh off the vine still warm from the sun....! it's a whole other thing, fruit/veggie whatever.

The pounds of Skunk Bud #1, Big Bud, "Pure Indica" & "Purple Indica" (the "Nigerian" and Early Pearl didnt fare so well) that I grew 89-93 were beautiful and potent... even the bagseed "homie" I grew before that had some fairly mature colas, which was good cuz that funded the trip to sensi seeds in the 'dam to get the GOOD ones, mostly SB#1 and Big Bud and the resulting crosses were the reliable big performers in MA.... the pure Indies were wild.... the main stems only pruned once or twice would produce only a giant oblong rugby football-like cola... tho still fully mature they had kinda airy buds too so not a lot of weight.

Last edited:
I'm with you on the OG stuff. I question the tight, dense flower thats been round for like ever & most seem to like , thats grown indoors. Only a few strains I know of can produce flowers this dense grown outside.
Now this is just me & I know just enough about growing to provide laughter for all who watch. But it usually turned just fine. My all time Fav is an old strain, Purple Haze I've talked about before. Stuff off that Hawaiian Island is fantastic. It was entirely grown outside not to long ago. Not so sure about now.

Of course some have no choice

I live in a legal state and a lot of the growers are using hydroponic systems. To grow outside takes a lot of room and you can’t grow in the winter in WA state. They grow a lot outdoors east of the mountains but they are limited due to the weather. It’s probably that way in a lot of the legal states, even northern CA. Great if it’s organic, has a good vapor flavor and gets me high.

We have a huge selection at our cannabis shops. They usually say how it’s grown on the packaging.

Last edited:
To be clear, I'm not super picky. I'd vape indoor grown in a heartbeat. I love outdoor, and I grow outdoor, but in my case it doesn't make much sense to grow indoors because my needs have been more than met growing outside. I'm planning to grow some CBD autoflower indoors to make CBD oil for my dogs. Try to anyway. It's pricy at the dispensery, and I'd like to try doing it myself. Also, I've ordered seeds and plan to start my outdoor crop indoors as soon as the seeds arrive. There is no disrespect for indoor grown. Living in Northern California, having a yard to grow in, having suitable weather, all comes together in such a way to influence my preference. Growing outdoors saves money and effort, and I love outdoor grown cannabis. I've also never had indoor grown I didn't enjoy. When we had Fire Season this year, the sky turned red and I had to hurry and get my crop in before the ash fell and ruined it all. Outdoor absolutely depends on the weather. I also have come to despise cabbage moths growing outdoors. Still, it's my first choice, as I will now need to remind myself as my growing chores increase.

Since there is a vast number of choices to select from in a rec state, I've developed a strong preference for outdoor grown.

Taste is superior IMO. Like hot house tomatoes vs. garden fresh..not nearly as pretty, but just as flavorful. More honest....along the lines of what I remember 'weed' looking and smelling like (minus the skunk) Perhaps an acquired taste tho.

Cost...often because of looks I assume. The more flavorful but ugly apples of cannabis. It seems that a lot of the high-end stuff goes for the cookies, cake and cream appeal. Not that sweets are bad but I can't believe there is enough there to justify the premium price for the day-to-day material.

It's kind of cool to run across the older school stuff that cycles thru the shops. Got some Jack Herrer and White Widow in the can last summer. Both lower grade outdoor grown stuff very reasonably priced = sold out quick.

Often locally sourced and outdoor grown equals perhaps less stress on the environment and good for the economy.

Seasonal, so what is available is usually fresh and lab certified.
I love it that @Basement Farmer prefers Outdoor Grown

I thought this thread was about Instagram so I never looked...hehe, outdoors sounds like fun but I don't like the hassle that goes with it here...spuds, Tulips and poppies are better grown outside here!

I thought this thread was about Instagram so I never looked...hehe, outdoors sounds like fun but I don't like the hassle that goes with it here...spuds, Tulips and poppies are better grown outside here!
Well, I do grow potatoes and California poppies outdoors. I forgot tulips this year. Isn't that the way? I'm kind of nervous about trying this year's crop. I'm still going through last year's, and I suddenly figured out I don't know what I'm doing trying to grow anything. Am I stoned, or is it wishful thinking? A homegrown placebo concept so I don't have to face my lack of grow skills?
God, I do sound stoned.

I found that outdoor was waaaay easier than indoor. Having good intuition over skills can take you pretty far outdoors, other way around inside... Sure, good intuition is always a good thing, but having good skills is more important inside, imo.

I love it that @Basement Farmer prefers Outdoor Grown
Like most, growing outdoors was never really an option due to our rediculously short seasons. Even if it was it would be very difficult to keep the grow secure. That said, my artificial sun grown stuff tasted just as generic as anything lamp grown that I've purchased.

I miss the greenery in wintertime...but not the stress of higher electrical bills, the constant care and attention or the fear of burning my house down or having a crop failure. The joy of growing just doesn't offset the convenience factor for me living in a rec state.

Last edited:
Best of both worlds, crop fails...go to the shop...too nice!

....not that I didn't enjoy growing.

But another advantage of outdoor grown I've discovered is bag seed. There must be something environmentally stressful that causes hermaphrodism in outdoor grown because I'm finding them occasionally..
may have to do something with the small collection that Ive started.

It's like finding a cereal box surprise when it happens. Way too many have gotten roasted along w. the herb tho....unfortunately

But another advantage of outdoor grown I've discovered is bag seed. There must be something environmentally stressful that causes hermaphrodism in outdoor grown because I'm finding them occasionally..
There's that, of course, and if you grow enough, it's gonna happen a little, regardless... then there's always the other outdoor growers in the area... who knows how vigilant they are..? it's out of your control outside.

...bit of a tangent, but....

Had my ankle blow apart a few years ago in the thick of a growing cycle and had no help (pre-rec days)

I had to do everything from crutches or on my hand and one good knee when this was going on. I had over 20 plants in various stages too. Nothing quite like dragging bags of soil around like some kind of invalid.

It was prett awful and made me reconsider how much I really wanted to basement farm.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1610283999262.jpg
    FB_IMG_1610283999262.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 60
  • FB_IMG_1610284004664.jpg
    FB_IMG_1610284004664.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 74

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back