Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy I'm Not A Prepper

Riverrat

Where's your water come from ? Do you have a back up supply or way to filter or make water potable ? If you dont you are in fact at the mercy of the system in place that provides it. You can go a while with out eating. Not so with out water. If you have not given this any thought you need to reconsider... Jeff

I'm almost a prepper. I always have a good 6 months or more of food and other essentials put away. When Covid hit I still had 80 rolls of toilet paper in the basement and a freezer full of meat. My habit has been to stock up on essentials every fall in case I get snowed in or we have an ice storm and roads are down. I grow a garden and keep veggies in either cold storage or dehydrated and vacuum packed in mason jars. I heat with wood and have a propane furnace for when I'm ill or away or lazy. I cook on a gas stove that doesn't require electricity and can cook on the wood stove as well. My water comes from a well and I filter it for consumption through a Berkey filter which can also filter the water from the pond that's 50ft from the house in case I lose electricity and can't pump water. I grow various medicinal herbs on the property. One day I may add solar. If I had solar power I would consider myself self sufficient.

I'd love to hear how others have organized their households for self sufficiency.

I'm almost a prepper. I always have a good 6 months or more of food and other essentials put away. When Covid hit I still had 80 rolls of toilet paper in the basement and a freezer full of meat. My habit has been to stock up on essentials every fall in case I get snowed in or we have an ice storm and roads are down. I grow a garden and keep veggies in either cold storage or dehydrated and vacuum packed in mason jars. I heat with wood and have a propane furnace for when I'm ill or away or lazy. I cook on a gas stove that doesn't require electricity and can cook on the wood stove as well. My water comes from a well and I filter it for consumption through a Berkey filter which can also filter the water from the pond that's 50ft from the house in case I lose electricity and can't pump water. I grow various medicinal herbs on the property. One day I may add solar. If I had solar power I would consider myself self sufficient.

I'd love to hear how others have organized their households for self sufficiency.
Yeah, but Squibs, you live in Sgt Preston of the Yukon wilderness, right? Haha

and yes, showing my age w that reference.

Where's your water come from ? Do you have a back up supply or way to filter or make water potable ? If you dont you are in fact at the mercy of the system in place that provides it. You can go a while with out eating. Not so with out water. If you have not given this any thought you need to reconsider... Jeff
Anything that can bring on Armageddon is going to roll over my butt regardless of what I can reasonably do.

I’m not a prepper either but I have a well and a back up generator. Some extra canned goods and rice in the cupboard. Enough for a a couple of weeks, not 6 months. I don’t have a stockpile of guns, just a hunting rifle.

howie105,​

It can take far less than a war to cause problems with water. Your feelings are shared with many others. Keep in mind attacking someone's potable, water is extremely easy.
Doesn't need to be an attack.
Can be weather or any of many naturally occurring failures.
Frankly the last worry of mine as an American is a out and out attack.
You city folks should be way more concerned regards the corruption preventing your infrastructure from being properly updated.
Plenty of money for such an endeavor and easy to get the public behind..........see Flint.

I can walk five feet out of my door and collect a days worth of water, in the heat of summer it's going to take me a quarter mile ride, so transient water shortage isn't what I consider Armageddon. The thing that sparked my response was "mercy of the system in place that provides it" If the "system" means that a governmental body has terminated or lost its ability to maintain an essential service the citizens need to survive than that could indeed be a component of Armageddon. You can fix the plumbing but not a government that doesn't care if the citizens needlessly die.

Yeah, but Squibs, you live in Sgt Preston of the Yukon wilderness, right? Haha
That's right. LOL! I'm out in the country, on top of a mountain. Only a few people live on my road permanently, most are summer people. Those of us that are here watch out for eachother. The only services provided to my home are electricity, which can be intermittent, a county maintained road and a phone line. Because it is a relatively remote location with few inhabitants, our road is the last to be ploughed after a storm. The risk of being snowed in is high, but I'm always stocked up and I'm quite comfortable. So far, this winter has been mild and the snow hasn't gotten too deep but February typically has the most severe weather here, so there's that to look forward to. :dog:

That's right. LOL! I'm out in the country, on top of a mountain. Only a few people live on my road permanently, most are summer people. Those of us that are here watch out for eachother. The only services provided to my home are electricity, which can be intermittent, a county maintained road and a phone line. Because it is a relatively remote location with few inhabitants, our road is the last to be ploughed after a storm. The risk of being snowed in is high, but I'm always stocked up and I'm quite comfortable. So far, this winter has been mild and the snow hasn't gotten too deep but February typically has the most severe weather here, so there's that to look forward to. :dog:
Sounds like our place though we do have a mailbox.......a mile down the hill.
Nothing better than extreme isolation.

I went through two of the electric desktop distillers over the years when I lived in the city. Fantastic product! What finally went on mine was the locking gasket. I wasn't able to easily find a replacement at the time.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back