Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tips In praise of squishing the brown bud

Shredder

Dogs like me
My last two rosin pressing sessions were with brown 6+ month old buds that were stored in glass with 62% boveda packs.

The first session I pressed tangerine cookies. I pressed at 190F for about 2 minutes, folded my 2x4 inch pucks and repressed later at 210F. The return was less than the same buds when they were fresher. But still respectable. I havnt actually weighed and figured out the exact amounts but I have a rough idea based on grams per puck.

The rosin turned out dark, very dark, but not black. The taste had mellowed. When fresher the rosin tasted strong of oranges and had a bite kinda like orange zest. But now the rosin is smooth as can be, the orange taste is still there but less pronounced. And it's some of the cleanest I've ever pressed. Very little residual left on the nail, and my saionara stays clean for an incredible amount of time.

Session 2 I used older blue dream buds. I pressed at 190F for 2+ minutes, folded the puck in half and repressed at 210F. Both first and second presses get mixed. The return was about the same as it was when fresh.

The taste difference was less dramatic than the tangerine cookies, but I'd say it was smoother, and a little sweeter. I like the taste of blue dream anyway, it's one of my favorites taste wise. It's too early to tell if it's as clean as the tangerine cookies. I just pressed it today, but I suspect it will be.

Ussually I dont have buds long enough to get fully mature, and when I did it was ussually dry and didn't return well. But with the boveda packs that seems less of a problem. And this was only 2 sessions with 2 varieties that I've pressed many times when fresh, but I think I need to fully age more buds for pressing after this. I kinda suspect my patients would still prefer the fresh blond looking rosin (eye candy), but I'll have no problem keeping that old stuff for myself. :smug:

My white widow has always pressed dark, like not very appealing at all but the flavor is amazing. My orange hill special which was harvested with mostly cloudy and some clear trichomes pressed light yellow after 1 month, now it's a gold color at 6 months. The way I use my medicine I usually go for the mids first and end up with the choicest tops last, right now I'm almost 7 months into cure and pressing some really nice buds, flavors held up for the most part, yields I'm not sure if I notice as I'm pressing my best last so it's been a slightly upward trend. That's an interesting observation though and makes sense since the vape is different at 6 months vs 1.

I'm not convinced color matters, I've tried so many BHO cultivars and their colors always varied from cream to chocolate, most being gold or peach. I'm not sure where the logic on that comes from other than "cleanliness", even though it's not necessarily obvious (i.e. melted waxes and such are invisible compared to debris). I'm more picky about the consistency! That's one of the problems I've heard of people pressing old material is it turns to shatter, but mine hasn't. Sap or budder is pretty much what I am working with even with older bud. I'm guessing the cool storage has helped.

My white widow has always pressed dark, like not very appealing at all but the flavor is amazing. My orange hill special which was harvested with mostly cloudy and some clear trichomes pressed light yellow after 1 month, now it's a gold color at 6 months. The way I use my medicine I usually go for the mids first and end up with the choicest tops last, right now I'm almost 7 months into cure and pressing some really nice buds, flavors held up for the most part, yields I'm not sure if I notice as I'm pressing my best last so it's been a slightly upward trend. That's an interesting observation though and makes sense since the vape is different at 6 months vs 1.

I'm not convinced color matters, I've tried so many BHO cultivars and their colors always varied from cream to chocolate, most being gold or peach. I'm not sure where the logic on that comes from other than "cleanliness", even though it's not necessarily obvious (i.e. melted waxes and such are invisible compared to debris). I'm more picky about the consistency! That's one of the problems I've heard of people pressing old material is it turns to shatter, but mine hasn't. Sap or budder is pretty much what I am working with even with older bud. I'm guessing the cool storage has helped.

My tangerine cookies came out like butter, but my blue dream is more pull and snap. Quite a bit stiffer than when fresh.

I imagine there's less thca in the older buds as well. The terpenes have changed and the oil glands have darkened. So there are differences. Strength? IDK, my guess is that it's close if not even.

I have no idea why it's cleaner though. Less wax, but why?

I'm always intrigued how the rosin turns out and love watching it along the way. I wish I would keep better track of trichome colors and weights along the way, seems there's a lot to the story and pressing buds makes things a lot different with all the plant matter. Surely time changes the chemical composition of the bud as it slowly degrades, but the wax I'm not sure how that would get reduced unless the viscocity is much higher than the other material flowing and it gets clung to the plant matter? Have you had any of your rosin tested?

I'm always intrigued how the rosin turns out and love watching it along the way. I wish I would keep better track of trichome colors and weights along the way, seems there's a lot to the story and pressing buds makes things a lot different with all the plant matter. Surely time changes the chemical composition of the bud as it slowly degrades, but the wax I'm not sure how that would get reduced unless the viscocity is much higher than the other material flowing and it gets clung to the plant matter? Have you had any of your rosin tested?

I had herb tested before but the testing facility was sold and moved and I'm a long ways away from a lab now. So no, I have not had it tested.

One difference between old and fresh buds is choraphyil. Maybe there's a relationship somehow between wax and choraphyil. Perhaps the lack of choraphyil and maybe the change in the terpenes could influence it. Im sure thats the reason for the smoothness. Maybe wax gets bound tighter to the other plant material. All guesses, but the answer is related to some kind of difference between fresh and aged buds. I've also found a lot more wax in RSO made from stripping used pucks than from the rosin itself. I've winterized both and found big differences..

Last edited:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back