Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Recipe Infused Gummies and Gum Drops

momofthegoons

Vapor Accessory Addict
Staff member
vegan-gummies-683x1024.jpg

Add a little FECO, tincture or decarbed concentrate to this recipe and...... :nut:

How to make Gumdrops

25939461143_f5f03b84bd_c.jpg

Prep Time - 20 min.
Yield - 16 - 20 pieces

I believe many of you are very familiar with these little cutie chewy and gummy sweets, namely gumdrops, and how wonderful they taste. Many of you may have also passed by some tutorials on how to make gumdrops at home just as I did before. However, while I did know quite many homemade gumdrop recipes, I was hesitant to try them for a long time. The main reason was that I did not really believe it would be possible to replicate the famous Haribo gummy bears at home only with gelatin, sugar and water.

Only recently, when I had gelatin piling up in my kitchen, I finally decided to give it a shot. What a big, pleasant surprise! My gumdrops were fairly on par with Haribo gummy bears in terms of chewiness as well as tastiness. Besides this humbly acknowledged success, making gumdrops at home is just a lot, I mean, a LOT of fun. I was able to let my creativity run wild and produce gummy candies of any flavors I possibly could, from classic flavors like fruits, mint, or coffee, to more “oddball” ones such as liquors, cotton candy, or red velvet cake.
10.gif

To be frank, homemade gummy candies aren’t much cheaper than buying them from the store, because gelatin is quite costly anywhere. What I love about producing them at home though, besides the vast range of flavors, is that I can make them from fruit juice extracts. Homemade gumdrops, therefore, at least contain a certain amount of vitamins, which is certainly better than store-bought packs of empty carbohydrates. Some people even make them with diet sugars, like Stevia. I haven’t attempted that yet, but if you can make gumdrops at home from healthier ingredients, then that’s definitely a win over industrial confectionery.

GUMDROP/ GUMMY CANDY RECIPE
INGREDIENTS

This recipe is for 16 – 20 candies. You may double, triple or multiply the amounts of ingredients if you want to have more.

• 25 gram gelatin (powder or sheets/ leaves)
  • 70 ml (1/4 cup + 2 tsp) water at room temperature – to soak and soften gelatin
  • 110 gram caster sugar (1/2 cup)
  • 80 ml (1/3 cup) hot water – to make sugar syrup
  • 5 ~ 10 ml lemon juice (1 ~ 2 tsp) – optional
  • Other food flavors and colorings – see Notes below
  • Candy molds: Feel free to use anything at hands: cake pan, chocolate molds, ice cube molds and trays, food storage box, etc.; silicon molds make it easier to remove the candies.
Homemade Gumdrops with different flavors: strawberry (red), orange (bright yellow), passion fruit (orange), lavender (purple), vanilla (blue), mint (green), coffee (dark brown)

INSTRUCTIONS

Making gumdrops is very simple and easy, but please do read these following notes before we start:

– What is gelatin? Is it safe? Gelatin is collagen derived from pork skin and actually harmless. Thus eating gelatin does no harm to your health, since it’s more or less similar to eating pork skin (but make sure to use gelatin of good quality and origin). In some references, gelatin is considered a nutritious food in several diet plans and it’s especially good for skin and joints. It is safe for an adult to eat 20 – 30 gram of gelatin per day. So unless you eat these gummy candies for food at every meal, there will be nothing to worry about. Notes: ALWAYS soak gelatin in cold water until softened before melting it in hot water.

– Can gelatin be substituted by agar powder? The answer is No. Firstly, I have tried using agar powder for this recipe and it didn’t work. Secondly, the final products using agar powder are hard and crunchy, while those using gelatin have a firm and chewy texture. Thus, you may risk failing to make the firm and gummy texture of the candies if you use agar powder instead of gelatin.

– If you prefer making gumdrops with fruit flavors, feel free to substitute the hot water part with fruit juice.

– Lemon juice is optional for this recipe, since it’s just to add a little sour taste to the candies (which I prefer). Don’t use lime juice, for it may have a bitter taste.

– Food flavorings are not necessary if you use fruit juices. If you don’t, then add those flavorings of your preference or at least vanilla extract to enhance the candies’ taste. It also helps weaken the strong taste produced by using quite a lot of gelatin.

– The firm texture of gumdrops may vary from changing the proportion of gelatin over water: the more gelatin is added to the same amount of water, the firmer and harder the candies will be. If you find the gumdrops a bit too hard, you may want to boil the sugar syrup for a shorter time, decrease the amount of gelatin or increase the amount of water.

– Gumdrops harden in the refrigerator but they get softer after being brought to room temperature (20°C/ 68°F). The temperature range from 20°C to 23°C (68 to 73 °F) is perfect for keeping the candies from melting. I’m not quite sure whether they can keep their shapes at higher temperature. Gumdrops with sugar coating can stay longer than those without.

Detailed step-by-step instructions and notes can be found in the video in Savoury Days’ YouTube channel (don’t forget to sign up and subscribe to receive the latest notifications as soon as our videos come out). You can watch below or at this link.

Don’t forget to select HD to view the video with the best definition and quality
1.gif

MAKING GUMDROPS IN STEPS

1. Add gelatin to a bowl of water. Gelatin sheets can be cut into pieces for faster water absorption. If gelatin powder is used, stir well until dissolved into the water. It takes about 15 – 20 minutes until gelatin softens.

2. At the same time, add sugar, hot water and/or fruit juice (fruit juice doesn’t need to be heated in advance) to a saucepan. Bring them to a boil at high heat while stirring well to dissolve the sugar. Then let the syrup simmer at low heat for 10 – 15 minutes. There’s no fixed simmering time for the syrup, for it is determined by how firm you expect the candies to be (See Notes above). If you’re not sure as this is the first time you make gumdrops, don’t worry, the thickness of sugar syrup is also a good indication: the thicker the syrup, the firmer and harder the candies.

3. Add softened gelatin (after 15 minutes soaking in water) to the syrup pan together with the soaking water. Stir well until gelatin dissolves into the sugar syrup. Simmer the mixture for 2 – 3 minutes more before turning off the heat. If it is cold, let the saucepan stay there to keep it warm, since the candy mixture quickly thickens at low temperature.

4. Pour the mixture into the molds, let it cool down, and then keep it in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours until completely cool and firm.

5. Remove the gumdrops. They’re quite sticky so it’s recommended to dip a sharp knife into hot water and then run it around the sides of the molds to remove the candies.

6. Cut the gumdrops into small pieces, then roll onto granulated sugar (optional). Make sure the candies are dry enough; otherwise, sugar lumps will form. Let the gumdrops stay on a rack at a cool place until the sugar dries and sticks to the candies to form coatings (about 1 – 2 days). Note: It’s better to dry the gumdrops on a rack rather than a plate, for they easily melt when coming into contact with the plate.

7. Keep the gumdrops in an airtight bag or jar at a cool place; those with sugar can stay for several weeks.

Thank you for this post! I looooove gummies.

For the recipes that require gelatin can it agar be substituted gram for gram?
I'd be cautious with that... imo the only recipes above suited for using agar are the first two. Definitely not the last one I posted. And unfortunately, the last recipe is the only one I've tried so I can't give you a personal recommendation on this.

If you are using agar, make sure you bring the mix to a rolling boil for a few minutes. Otherwise the agar wont set.

Some good tips....

4 Mistakes to Avoid When Making Homemade Gummies

ebf120dd3cfa76e09da310eba0ed79a96fc1357d.jpeg

(Image credit: Laure Volo)
Making gummies at home is even more fun than it seems. By mixing plain gelatin with sugar, fruit, or other flavored liquids, you can create gummy treats in every form. Now, plain gelatin does require a little more know-how than the box of flavored gelatin, but once you master these mistakes to avoid (and tips for mastering gelatin) you can whip up no-bake gelatin treats any ol’ time with ingredients from your pantry and fridge with ease.

What Is Gelatin?
Gelatin is the processed version of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue. Here at Kitchn we typically call for powdered gelatin for recipes, as it is easiest to find (it should be on grocery store shelves near the flavored gelatin products) and because it is easy to measure.

Gelatin is set by rehydrating (or blooming it) in cool water, heating the hydrated gelatin, and then cooling it again to set. The set, or firmness, of the final dish depends on the liquid-to-gelatin ratio used. It is pretty easy to work with once you understand those basics, which is one of the reasons I love making gelled treats with my children.

Read more: What’s the Difference? Gelatin Powder, Gelatin Sheets, and Leaf Gelatin

d1558db5f593cc8ddd34af3ccd5442b5e5142b79.jpeg

(Image credit: Lauren Volo)
1. Forgetting to hydrate the gelatin.
Because powdered gelatin is so fine, it may seem like it will dissolve in the warm liquid. Blooming, the other term often used for hydrating, ensures that the gelatin will dissolve completely in the warm base and also ensures a clear, even gel.

Follow this tip: You can bloom gelatin in any cool liquid, water is typical, but you can also use a portion of whatever juice, wine, or tea you plan to set too.

Gelatin for all: 3 Vegetarian Substitutes for Gelatin (Because Vegans Love Jello Too!)

2. Adding the hydrated gelatin to hot base.
While the gelatin is blooming, you likely be prepping the liquid you plan to set. Impatiently adding the bloomed gelatin to the base while it is hot will weaken the gelatin’s setting power.

Follow this tip: Be sure to cool the base liquids before adding the gelatin. And avoid boiling any liquid that has the gelatin added. Your patience will be rewarded with a stronger gel.

d21d25ea26e88e9f74dcf1c9660643b1adbdd15d.jpeg

(Image credit: Lauren Volo)
3. Not using the gelatin mixture right away.
Gelatin begins to set immediately as it cools, so it is best to keep it warm and to work relatively quickly when filling molds.

Follow this tip: Have your molds or prepared dish for setting ready before you even start blooming the gelatin. And work quickly in filling small molds to avoid lumpy-shaped blooms. A bulb baster or small syringe (think: those plastic ones that dose out kids’ medicine) are really great for filling small molds like gummy bears.

4. Using ingredients that interfere with gelling.
Certain fresh fruits including pineapple, kiwi, mango, ginger root, papaya, figs, or guava can prevent gelatin from setting completely or at all and are best avoided. Protease is an enzyme present in these fruits that degrades the gelatin’s gelling.

Alcohol can interfere with the setting properties of gelatin in high portions, so don’t increase the proportion of alcohol to non-alcoholic liquid in recipes that call for it.

Follow this tip: Cooking the alcohols, like wine, reduces the alcohol content and makes them easier to gel. Canned, cooked, or dried versions of these fruits can be used to successfully set them in gelatin.

Oh looky what I found...... wilton.com carries a gummy mix that has been reported as fool proof for making infused gummies. Just add some QWET, FECO or tincture and you are good to go. Rumor has it that the green apple flavor is just like Jolly Rancher's. They only had the fruit punch gummy mix in stock when I looked. Apparently it is also available in some Walmarts. And I've also seen them at Michael's.

710-4327_FrPuGu_46318-pkg.jpg

Oh looky what I found...... wilton.com carries a gummy mix that has been reported as fool proof for making infused gummies. Just add some QWET, FECO or tincture and you are good to go. Rumor has it that the green apple flavor is just like Jolly Rancher's. They only had the fruit punch gummy mix in stock when I looked. Apparently it is also available in some Walmarts. And I've also seen them at Michael's.

View attachment 7528

Do you know how many milligrams worth of FECO to add? I guess we divide up the pieces as usual? I have MBM molds and might give this a go.

Edit: I corrected this post.

Last edited:
Do you know how much/many mags worth of FECO to add?
I think it would depend on how strong you want them to be. And to properly figure that out, you would need to know the thc percentage in the FECO.... it gets complicated.

In this recipe from Magical Butter, it says to use 10 - 15 grams of FECO to 4 pkgs. of Jello. I'm not sure how many oz. of powder are in the Wilton mix compared to the Jello packages... But that should be a guideline for you.

Finally found a recipe for gummies that calls for infused coconut oil on the Magical Butter site...

Coconut Oil Gummies

Ingredients
Coconut Oil Gummies
  • 1 Package of Jell-O (3oz pack)

• 4 Packets of gelatin (1oz)

• 1 1/2 Cup juice (Apple juice or juice of your choice)

• 1/2 Cup honey or agave

• 1/4 Cup MagicalButter Coconut Oil

• In a sauté pan on medium-low heat, combine the Jell-O and 1 cup of juice. Add the honey and infused coconut oil while stirring frequently.

• In a small bowl, mix together the gelatin and remaining juice (1/2 cup) and allow to sit/bloom for 5 minutes. The gelatin will look chunky and somewhat solid.

• Add the gelatin to the Jell-O and cook over low heat for 5-8 minutes. Whisk constantly to fully incorporate the coconut oil. Using an immersion blender helps ease this process!

• Once fully incorporated together, pour the gummy mixture into silicone molds and allow to cool at room temperature before placing into the fridge to chill.

• Remove the gummies from the mold and enjoy!

Finally found a recipe for gummies that calls for infused coconut oil on the Magical Butter site...

Coconut Oil Gummies

Ingredients
Coconut Oil Gummies
  • 1 Package of Jell-O (3oz pack)

• 4 Packets of gelatin (1oz)

• 1 1/2 Cup juice (Apple juice or juice of your choice)

• 1/2 Cup honey or agave

• 1/4 Cup MagicalButter Coconut Oil

• In a sauté pan on medium-low heat, combine the Jell-O and 1 cup of juice. Add the honey and infused coconut oil while stirring frequently.

• In a small bowl, mix together the gelatin and remaining juice (1/2 cup) and allow to sit/bloom for 5 minutes. The gelatin will look chunky and somewhat solid.

• Add the gelatin to the Jell-O and cook over low heat for 5-8 minutes. Whisk constantly to fully incorporate the coconut oil. Using an immersion blender helps ease this process!

• Once fully incorporated together, pour the gummy mixture into silicone molds and allow to cool at room temperature before placing into the fridge to chill.

• Remove the gummies from the mold and enjoy!
I want some gummies?

Received a request for gummies. A first batch, with agar, turned out fine, but the texture is too much like that of agar petri plates to ever be associated with candy. If you add the agar powder to 190F water while whisking, it should dissolve instantly. A beaker on a magnetic stirrer/hotplate is ideal. The agar solution is clear and easy to pour (just like agar plates), but it sets quickly at room temperature.

Ordered a "vegan gelatin" made from carrageenan, which is similar to agar, so not very hopeful.

Found the video funny, in a certain frame of mind.

Pleased to report the above recipe with "vegan gelatin" produces perfect vegan gummies with a pleasantly elastic texture, far superior to agar, IMO.

There is, however, a trick. Following the instructions precisely never achieved a pourable liquid consistency. The mixture would always be too thick. But - supplying the water and part of the sugar as simple syrup, produced much better results.

Modernist Pantry's recipe calls for 190ml water and 300g sorbitol (or sugar). So, first mix the water with 160g sugar, bring to a boil, and simmer for 3-5 minutes to make simple syrup. Let cool. Dry mix the gelatin and remaining 140g sugar as per recipe. Whisk into your cool simple syrup, bring to a boil and voila! Pourable vegan gummies!

A note on sorbitol. (Tried, thinking this might be the problem.) If you have poor impulse control and consume a half-batch (undosed), you're in for some memorable GI distress. :uhoh:

gumdrops.jpg

Are gum drops the hard, dense candies that stick to your teeth? That's what these are, following the above recipe except substituting 4.5g iota carrageenan for the vegan gelatin. Another difference was cooking to 250F. A big step in the right direction. Didn't expect these to be so big, more than 50mg shatter per.

Even simply dumping this out into the center of a cocktail ice cube tray, a substantial amount was left behind to quickly harden in the saucepan. Could use some candy-making secrets. :secret:

Last edited:
Some people don't want to use alcohol based tinctures in their gummies. This article has some solutions for that.

CANNABIS GUMMIES MADE WITH OIL OR BUTTER

Cannabis-Oil-Gummies-Ingredients-Process-Collage.png

This tried and true, no-fail recipe for cannabis gummies made with oil is the perfect recipe for delicious cannabis-infused gummies that do not sweat or separate. This guide includes options for different infused oils, flavorings, sugar-free options, and more.

With so many different cannabis gummy recipes available online with different instructions and methods, it can get overwhelming when trying to pick the perfect one.

Luckily, I have tried them all and worked to put together this no-fail guide on making the perfect cannabis gummies made with oil or butter.

By following these easy directions, you can create a delicious cannabis gummy that is the perfect texture and consistency, with no separation or sweating.

However, gummy taste and texture preferences are subjective, and for this reason, I recommend you try this recipe with *non* cannabis-infused products first.

That way, you know you like the taste and texture of this recipe before incorporating your hard-earned cannabis products into the recipe.

• Cannabis-Infused Oil - I've covered every type of cannabis-infused oil you can use below. Just pick your oil of preference and get cooking.
  • Flavored Jello - In this recipe, jello is included to add color, taste, and sweetness to the gummies. Jello is a simple gelatin dessert mix that can be found at any grocery store. Each box comes in a variety of different flavors ranging from lemon, lime, orange, grape, raspberry, black cherry, and more. This recipe does not work without the addition of jello. Note that jello typically comes in two different package sizes, a 3-ounce, and 6-ounce package. For this recipe we will be using one 3-ounce package of Jello.
  • Unflavored Gelatin - Unflavored gelatin may be a new ingredient for some cooks but have no fear; it's a simple ingredient to work with. It can easily be found in the baking section of your local grocery store or purchased on Amazon. Gelatin is a colorless, flavorless, protein-based ingredient that helps to create the gummy texture we are looking for in this recipe. This recipe will not work without the addition of gelatin. For this recipe, we will be using ¾ ounces of gelatin, equivalent to 3 Knox packs.
  • Powder or Liquid Lecithin - Lecithin may be a new ingredient you're not used to cooking with, but it is an important staple ingredient for any cannabis kitchen. Traditionally, lecithin is used as a binder to keep opposing ingredients together in recipes, like oil & vinegar in salad dressings. Liquid lecithin is thick and sticky like molasses, but it is virtually tasteless. It can also come in liquid or granulated or powdered form. For cannabis cooking, I prefer to use liquid sunflower lecithinbecause I feel it mixes in better. Many members of my Well With Cannabis Community report that using powdered lecithin in this recipe works great as well. If you skip this ingredient's addition, your gummy's will separate and leave a hard film of oil on the bottom of the gummy.
  • Super Strength Flavoring Oils - The Jello packet itself provides this recipe both color and flavor but for some people, that may not be enough to mask the cannabis taste. For those who want the extra flavor boost to help cover the taste of the cannabis in the gummies, these super-strength flavoring oils are the perfect addition. Available in a wide variety of flavors, these oils can help mask the cannabis taste and make the flavor of your gummies really pop.

REQUIRED AND HELPFUL KITCHEN ITEMS​

CANNABIS INFUSION OPTIONS​

Cannabis-Oil-Gummies-Emily-Kyle1.png

As you can see with the visual above, the final texture and appearance of your gummies will vary slightly depending on what type of ingredients you use.
Below I will go over all of the infusion options that will work with this recipe in detail, including the pros and cons of each option.
At a quick glance, here are our oil recommendations ranked from favorite to least favorite:
  1. Cannabis-Infused MCT Oil
  2. Cannabis-Infused Coconut Oil
  3. Cannabis-Infused Butter
  4. Other Cannabis-Infused Oil, i.e. infused olive oil, infused hemp seed oil, infused avocado oil, etc.

INFUSED MCT OIL​

Cannabis-Oil-Gummies.png

Our favorite option for making these gummies is to use a cannabis-infused MCT oil. MCT oil is a type of saturated fat extracted from coconuts that are rapidly digested and absorbed by the body.

Many people prefer liquid MCT oil for infusions because it is tasteless, remains liquid at room temperature, is completely clear with no color, and has no flavor.

However, it is important to note that some people find MCT oil more difficult to digest than other oils and it can potentially cause digestive distress in some.

Using infused MCT oil for your infusion will result in a more clear gummy that is less dense and more 'jiggly' than a gummy infused with traditional coconut oil.

The process for infusing MCT oil with cannabis is the same as making traditional infused coconut oil using either refined or unrefined coconut oil.

If you haven't made MCT cannabis oil yet, click here for full instructions. You will need to have this ready before starting the gummy making process.

Cannabis-Oil-Gummies-Emily-Kyle2.png

Our next favorite option for making infused gummies is traditional cannabis-infused coconut oil.

If you only have cannabis-infused coconut oil on hand and not MCT, have no fear, these gummies still turn out great with no separation.

Coconut oil remains solid at room temperature, is opaque in color, and has two primary different options: unrefined and refined.

Unrefined coconut oil is made from the ‘meat’ of fresh coconuts and then cold-pressed, leaving just the oil which has a pure coconut flavor.

Unrefined coconut oil has a more natural, more prominent, topical coconut taste and smell.

Refined coconut oil is an oil made from dried coconuts that have been put through additional processing.

The biggest draw to refined coconut oil is that it has a very neutral taste and flavor, making it easier to work within certain recipes where the coconut taste is not wanted.

Many people prefer refined coconut oil because it has a less prominent coconut taste.

As noted in the image above, when gummies are made with traditional coconut oil, they tend to be more opaque in appearance, are slightly more dense in texture, and have an almost 'creamy' texture and mouthfeel.

Cannabis-Gummies-With-Oil-By-Emily-Kyle34.jpg

GUMMIES MADE WITH CANNABUTTER​

It turns out these gummies work perfectly when made with cannabutter in place of the MCT or coconut oil.

However, they had a much more noticeably strong cannabis taste compared to the previous two options. They also had a creamier mouth feel, similar to the coconut oil gummies.

I opted to pair them with lime-flavored jello which worked well for both color and taste. If you're interested in making cannabutter, I have a step-by-step guide to get you started here.

Cannabis-Gummies-With-Oil-By-Emily-Kyle13.jpg

OTHER CANNABIS-INFUSED OILS​

Whether you're allergic to coconuts or simply looking for a different oil to infuse, this recipe will work with just about any cannabis oil you desire.

The only caveat is that you run the risk of absorbing any flavors from the oil you're using, especially with stronger oils like infused hemp seed oil or infused olive oil.

Below are the following cooking oils you can experiment with to substitute the coconut oil:

Cannabis-Gummies-With-Oil-By-Emily-Kyle49.jpg

STORAGE INSTRUCTIONS​

Once removed from the gummy molds, you can choose to either air-dry these gummies or simply store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

HOW TO AIR DRY CANNABIS GUMMIES​

If you want to enjoy the gummies right away, they do not need to dry out on the counter or in a dehydrator, but many people prefer to air dry them for enhanced texture and less moisture.
To successfully air dry, or cure the cannabis gummies, you first need to remove them from the molds.
Once free from the molds, you can place them on a wire baking rack, parchment paper, or a paper towel. Allow these gummies to dry at room temperature for at least 24 hours.

Many people will drape a piece of cheesecloth over the gummies to prevent any contaminants from falling on them. If you do this, ensure you are using a breathable fabric.
If you have a food dehydrator available, you can place the gummies to speed up the process.
Note: If you use a food dehydrator to dry your gummies, you must ensure it does not use heat. Any low-temperature dehydrators (~90°) will cause your gummies to melt.
Finally, some people prefer to lightly dust their air-dried gummies with a small amount of cornstarch to remove any last bits of moisture.

NOTES & EXPERT TIPS​

• Run a Test Batch First: As always, I recommend you make one *non-infused* test batch of gummies before trying with your actual product to ensure you like the taste, consistency, and process.
  • Unflavored Gelatin Note: If you are using butter or solid coconut oil, use ¾ ounce (3 packs) of Knox gelatin. If you are using a liquid oil, such as MCT oil, use 1 ounce (4 packs) of Knox gelatin.
  • Mold Inhibitors: In this recipe, I've used lemon juice as a natural preservative and mold inhibitor. It does not lend a strong or noticeable flavor to the gummies. You can also use LorAnn Mold Inhibitor or potassium sorbate in place of the lemon juice.
  • Lecithin Options: Yes, you can use powdered lecithin in place of the liquid lecithin in the exact same amount. If your infused oil has sunflower lecithin, you should still add the 2 teaspoons of lecithin called for in this recipe.
  • A Word of Caution When Air Drying: Humidity will cause an issue of oil sweating if you are air-drying your gummies, especially if they are made with MCT oil. If it is humid where you live, you must air dry your gummies in the refrigerator where the temperature and humidity are better controlled. If you use a food dehydrator to dry your gummies, you must ensure it does not use heat. Any low-temperature dehydrators (~90°) will cause your gummies to melt.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS​

Below are answers to some of the most important frequently asked cannabis gummy questions that I get from my Well With Cannabis Community.
Can you freeze these gummies?
If you don't plan on consuming your gummies within two weeks, you can easily freeze them. Freezing gummies does not alter the potency of the gummies, and in fact, may even help preserve potency over time.

Can you make cannabis gummies with sugar-free jello?
Yes! We made these gummies with sugar-free Jello and they turned out just fine. Simply swap a 0.3oz packet of sugar-free jello for the traditional 3oz packet of regular jello. (The weight difference comes from the lack of regular sugar).

Can I toss these gummies in sugar?
Yes, but only after they have been cured, or air dried for at least 24-hours. If you try to coat them in sugar before air drying, they will melt and turn into a wet soupy mess.

HOW TO DETERMINE THE DOSING​

Want to get a more accurate guesstimate of the potency of your cannabis infusions and extractions? Try our popular edibles calculator!

WANT TO MAKE THIS EASIER? USE A MACHINE!​

If the process of decarbing and infusing feels like too much work, these countertop devices may be a perfect all-in-one solution!

Two of the most popular brands include the LĒVO and the Ardent. Review the six most popular infusion machines here.

Cannabis Gummies Made With Oil or Butter​

This no-fail recipe for cannabis gummies made with oil is the perfect recipe for delicious cannabis-infused gummies that do not sweat or separate once prepared.

Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Additional Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 55 mins

INSTRUCTIONS​

• This recipe moves quickly, and it can help to prepare your workstation before getting started. Gather your equipmente and measure out your ingredients. Place your gummy molds on baking trays so they don't flop when being moved.
  • In a small bowl, add ½ cup of the water or juice. Gently stir the unflavored gelatin into the liquid. The mixture will become very thick. This is called blooming the gelatin. Set aside.
  • Next, prepare a double boiler by putting one cup of water in the bottom pan. Add the top pan and place over medium-high heat. Once near boiling, turn the heat to low and let simmer.
  • Add the cannabis oil (or cannabutter) and lecithin to the top of the double boiler. Allow butter or oil to melt as needed, and then whisk to incorporate. Leave over low heat while working on the next step.
  • In a separate small saucepan on the stove, add the remaining ½ cup of water or juice. Turn the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
  • Once boiling, add the lemon juice or mold inhibitor and the Jello packet to the hot liquid. Whisk well to dissolve. Turn off the heat.
  • Carefully and slowly, pour the Jello mixture into the double boiler that contains the melted oil (or cannabutter) and lecithin. Whisk consistently until all ingredients are incorporated.
  • Take the reserved bowl of bloomed gelatin and add it to the double boiler.
  • Add your desired amount for flavoring oil drops.
  • Whisk consistently for 10 minutes, ensuring no clumps form. This step is very important! You can use an immersion blender to speed up the process, if desired.
  • Working quickly, using a squeeze bottle, pipette or piston funnel, add the gummy mixture to your gummy molds of choice.
  • Allow the filled molds to sit and set for at least 30 minutes at room temperature before attempting to remove the gummies from the molds.
  • Carefully remove the gummies from the molds. Decide whether you want to store them in the fridge immediately or allow them to air dry.
  • If air drying, place the gummies in a single later on a wire baking rack. Allow the gummies to dry at room temperature for 24-72 hours, depending on your texture preferences. *See air drying notes below.
  • If you plan to add sugar or citric acid to your gummies, do so after they have been fully air dryed. Do not try to do this immediately after they come out of the molds, the will melt.
  • Store in an airtight container and enjoy!

NOTES:

*Make a TEST batch first:
As always, I recommend you make one *non-infused* test batch of gummies before trying with your actual infusion to ensure you like the process, taste, and consistency of the final product. This ensures no 'good stuff'gets wasted.
  • Unflavored gelatin note: If you are using butter or solid coconut oil, use ¾ ounce (3 Knox packs) of gelatin. If you are using a liquid oil, such as MCT oil, use 1 ounce (4 Knox packs) of gelatin. If you want an extra firm gummy, use 1¼ ounce (5 Knox packs) of gelatin.
  • Lecithin notes: You can use powdered or liquid lecithin in the exact same amount. If your infused oil was already made with lecithin, you should still add the additional lecithin called for in this recipe.
  • Mold inhibitors: In this recipe, I've used lemon juice as a natural preservative and mold inhibitor. It does not lend a strong or noticeable flavor to the gummies. You can also use LorAnn Mold Inhibitor or potassium sorbate in place of the lemon juice.
  • When air drying: Humidity will cause an issue of oil sweating if you are air-drying your gummies, especially if they are made with MCT oil. If it is humid where you live, you must air dry your gummies in the refrigerator where the temperature and humidity are better controlled. If you use a food dehydrator to dry your gummies, you must ensure it does not use heat. Any low-temperature dehydrators (~90°) will cause your gummies to melt.

NUTRITION​

Serving: 1gummy | Calories: 29kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 10mg | Sugar: 2g

Some people don't want to use alcohol based tinctures in their gummies. This article has some solutions for that.

CANNABIS GUMMIES MADE WITH OIL OR BUTTER

View attachment 32018

This tried and true, no-fail recipe for cannabis gummies made with oil is the perfect recipe for delicious cannabis-infused gummies that do not sweat or separate. This guide includes options for different infused oils, flavorings, sugar-free options, and more.

With so many different cannabis gummy recipes available online with different instructions and methods, it can get overwhelming when trying to pick the perfect one.

Luckily, I have tried them all and worked to put together this no-fail guide on making the perfect cannabis gummies made with oil or butter.

By following these easy directions, you can create a delicious cannabis gummy that is the perfect texture and consistency, with no separation or sweating.

However, gummy taste and texture preferences are subjective, and for this reason, I recommend you try this recipe with *non* cannabis-infused products first.

That way, you know you like the taste and texture of this recipe before incorporating your hard-earned cannabis products into the recipe.

• Cannabis-Infused Oil - I've covered every type of cannabis-infused oil you can use below. Just pick your oil of preference and get cooking.
  • Flavored Jello - In this recipe, jello is included to add color, taste, and sweetness to the gummies. Jello is a simple gelatin dessert mix that can be found at any grocery store. Each box comes in a variety of different flavors ranging from lemon, lime, orange, grape, raspberry, black cherry, and more. This recipe does not work without the addition of jello. Note that jello typically comes in two different package sizes, a 3-ounce, and 6-ounce package. For this recipe we will be using one 3-ounce package of Jello.
  • Unflavored Gelatin - Unflavored gelatin may be a new ingredient for some cooks but have no fear; it's a simple ingredient to work with. It can easily be found in the baking section of your local grocery store or purchased on Amazon. Gelatin is a colorless, flavorless, protein-based ingredient that helps to create the gummy texture we are looking for in this recipe. This recipe will not work without the addition of gelatin. For this recipe, we will be using ¾ ounces of gelatin, equivalent to 3 Knox packs.
  • Powder or Liquid Lecithin - Lecithin may be a new ingredient you're not used to cooking with, but it is an important staple ingredient for any cannabis kitchen. Traditionally, lecithin is used as a binder to keep opposing ingredients together in recipes, like oil & vinegar in salad dressings. Liquid lecithin is thick and sticky like molasses, but it is virtually tasteless. It can also come in liquid or granulated or powdered form. For cannabis cooking, I prefer to use liquid sunflower lecithinbecause I feel it mixes in better. Many members of my Well With Cannabis Community report that using powdered lecithin in this recipe works great as well. If you skip this ingredient's addition, your gummy's will separate and leave a hard film of oil on the bottom of the gummy.
  • Super Strength Flavoring Oils - The Jello packet itself provides this recipe both color and flavor but for some people, that may not be enough to mask the cannabis taste. For those who want the extra flavor boost to help cover the taste of the cannabis in the gummies, these super-strength flavoring oils are the perfect addition. Available in a wide variety of flavors, these oils can help mask the cannabis taste and make the flavor of your gummies really pop.

REQUIRED AND HELPFUL KITCHEN ITEMS​

CANNABIS INFUSION OPTIONS​

View attachment 32019

As you can see with the visual above, the final texture and appearance of your gummies will vary slightly depending on what type of ingredients you use.
Below I will go over all of the infusion options that will work with this recipe in detail, including the pros and cons of each option.
At a quick glance, here are our oil recommendations ranked from favorite to least favorite:
  1. Cannabis-Infused MCT Oil
  2. Cannabis-Infused Coconut Oil
  3. Cannabis-Infused Butter
  4. Other Cannabis-Infused Oil, i.e. infused olive oil, infused hemp seed oil, infused avocado oil, etc.

INFUSED MCT OIL​

View attachment 32020

Our favorite option for making these gummies is to use a cannabis-infused MCT oil. MCT oil is a type of saturated fat extracted from coconuts that are rapidly digested and absorbed by the body.

Many people prefer liquid MCT oil for infusions because it is tasteless, remains liquid at room temperature, is completely clear with no color, and has no flavor.

However, it is important to note that some people find MCT oil more difficult to digest than other oils and it can potentially cause digestive distress in some.

Using infused MCT oil for your infusion will result in a more clear gummy that is less dense and more 'jiggly' than a gummy infused with traditional coconut oil.

The process for infusing MCT oil with cannabis is the same as making traditional infused coconut oil using either refined or unrefined coconut oil.

If you haven't made MCT cannabis oil yet, click here for full instructions. You will need to have this ready before starting the gummy making process.

View attachment 32021

Our next favorite option for making infused gummies is traditional cannabis-infused coconut oil.

If you only have cannabis-infused coconut oil on hand and not MCT, have no fear, these gummies still turn out great with no separation.

Coconut oil remains solid at room temperature, is opaque in color, and has two primary different options: unrefined and refined.

Unrefined coconut oil is made from the ‘meat’ of fresh coconuts and then cold-pressed, leaving just the oil which has a pure coconut flavor.

Unrefined coconut oil has a more natural, more prominent, topical coconut taste and smell.

Refined coconut oil is an oil made from dried coconuts that have been put through additional processing.

The biggest draw to refined coconut oil is that it has a very neutral taste and flavor, making it easier to work within certain recipes where the coconut taste is not wanted.

Many people prefer refined coconut oil because it has a less prominent coconut taste.

As noted in the image above, when gummies are made with traditional coconut oil, they tend to be more opaque in appearance, are slightly more dense in texture, and have an almost 'creamy' texture and mouthfeel.

View attachment 32022

GUMMIES MADE WITH CANNABUTTER​

It turns out these gummies work perfectly when made with cannabutter in place of the MCT or coconut oil.

However, they had a much more noticeably strong cannabis taste compared to the previous two options. They also had a creamier mouth feel, similar to the coconut oil gummies.

I opted to pair them with lime-flavored jello which worked well for both color and taste. If you're interested in making cannabutter, I have a step-by-step guide to get you started here.

View attachment 32023

OTHER CANNABIS-INFUSED OILS​

Whether you're allergic to coconuts or simply looking for a different oil to infuse, this recipe will work with just about any cannabis oil you desire.

The only caveat is that you run the risk of absorbing any flavors from the oil you're using, especially with stronger oils like infused hemp seed oil or infused olive oil.

Below are the following cooking oils you can experiment with to substitute the coconut oil:

View attachment 32024

STORAGE INSTRUCTIONS​

Once removed from the gummy molds, you can choose to either air-dry these gummies or simply store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

HOW TO AIR DRY CANNABIS GUMMIES​

If you want to enjoy the gummies right away, they do not need to dry out on the counter or in a dehydrator, but many people prefer to air dry them for enhanced texture and less moisture.
To successfully air dry, or cure the cannabis gummies, you first need to remove them from the molds.
Once free from the molds, you can place them on a wire baking rack, parchment paper, or a paper towel. Allow these gummies to dry at room temperature for at least 24 hours.

Many people will drape a piece of cheesecloth over the gummies to prevent any contaminants from falling on them. If you do this, ensure you are using a breathable fabric.
If you have a food dehydrator available, you can place the gummies to speed up the process.
Note: If you use a food dehydrator to dry your gummies, you must ensure it does not use heat. Any low-temperature dehydrators (~90°) will cause your gummies to melt.
Finally, some people prefer to lightly dust their air-dried gummies with a small amount of cornstarch to remove any last bits of moisture.

NOTES & EXPERT TIPS​

• Run a Test Batch First: As always, I recommend you make one *non-infused* test batch of gummies before trying with your actual product to ensure you like the taste, consistency, and process.
  • Unflavored Gelatin Note: If you are using butter or solid coconut oil, use ¾ ounce (3 packs) of Knox gelatin. If you are using a liquid oil, such as MCT oil, use 1 ounce (4 packs) of Knox gelatin.
  • Mold Inhibitors: In this recipe, I've used lemon juice as a natural preservative and mold inhibitor. It does not lend a strong or noticeable flavor to the gummies. You can also use LorAnn Mold Inhibitor or potassium sorbate in place of the lemon juice.
  • Lecithin Options: Yes, you can use powdered lecithin in place of the liquid lecithin in the exact same amount. If your infused oil has sunflower lecithin, you should still add the 2 teaspoons of lecithin called for in this recipe.
  • A Word of Caution When Air Drying: Humidity will cause an issue of oil sweating if you are air-drying your gummies, especially if they are made with MCT oil. If it is humid where you live, you must air dry your gummies in the refrigerator where the temperature and humidity are better controlled. If you use a food dehydrator to dry your gummies, you must ensure it does not use heat. Any low-temperature dehydrators (~90°) will cause your gummies to melt.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS​

Below are answers to some of the most important frequently asked cannabis gummy questions that I get from my Well With Cannabis Community.
Can you freeze these gummies?
If you don't plan on consuming your gummies within two weeks, you can easily freeze them. Freezing gummies does not alter the potency of the gummies, and in fact, may even help preserve potency over time.

Can you make cannabis gummies with sugar-free jello?
Yes! We made these gummies with sugar-free Jello and they turned out just fine. Simply swap a 0.3oz packet of sugar-free jello for the traditional 3oz packet of regular jello. (The weight difference comes from the lack of regular sugar).

Can I toss these gummies in sugar?
Yes, but only after they have been cured, or air dried for at least 24-hours. If you try to coat them in sugar before air drying, they will melt and turn into a wet soupy mess.

HOW TO DETERMINE THE DOSING​

Want to get a more accurate guesstimate of the potency of your cannabis infusions and extractions? Try our popular edibles calculator!

WANT TO MAKE THIS EASIER? USE A MACHINE!​

If the process of decarbing and infusing feels like too much work, these countertop devices may be a perfect all-in-one solution!

Two of the most popular brands include the LĒVO and the Ardent. Review the six most popular infusion machines here.

Cannabis Gummies Made With Oil or Butter​

This no-fail recipe for cannabis gummies made with oil is the perfect recipe for delicious cannabis-infused gummies that do not sweat or separate once prepared.

Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Additional Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 55 mins

INSTRUCTIONS​

• This recipe moves quickly, and it can help to prepare your workstation before getting started. Gather your equipmente and measure out your ingredients. Place your gummy molds on baking trays so they don't flop when being moved.
  • In a small bowl, add ½ cup of the water or juice. Gently stir the unflavored gelatin into the liquid. The mixture will become very thick. This is called blooming the gelatin. Set aside.
  • Next, prepare a double boiler by putting one cup of water in the bottom pan. Add the top pan and place over medium-high heat. Once near boiling, turn the heat to low and let simmer.
  • Add the cannabis oil (or cannabutter) and lecithin to the top of the double boiler. Allow butter or oil to melt as needed, and then whisk to incorporate. Leave over low heat while working on the next step.
  • In a separate small saucepan on the stove, add the remaining ½ cup of water or juice. Turn the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
  • Once boiling, add the lemon juice or mold inhibitor and the Jello packet to the hot liquid. Whisk well to dissolve. Turn off the heat.
  • Carefully and slowly, pour the Jello mixture into the double boiler that contains the melted oil (or cannabutter) and lecithin. Whisk consistently until all ingredients are incorporated.
  • Take the reserved bowl of bloomed gelatin and add it to the double boiler.
  • Add your desired amount for flavoring oil drops.
  • Whisk consistently for 10 minutes, ensuring no clumps form. This step is very important! You can use an immersion blender to speed up the process, if desired.
  • Working quickly, using a squeeze bottle, pipette or piston funnel, add the gummy mixture to your gummy molds of choice.
  • Allow the filled molds to sit and set for at least 30 minutes at room temperature before attempting to remove the gummies from the molds.
  • Carefully remove the gummies from the molds. Decide whether you want to store them in the fridge immediately or allow them to air dry.
  • If air drying, place the gummies in a single later on a wire baking rack. Allow the gummies to dry at room temperature for 24-72 hours, depending on your texture preferences. *See air drying notes below.
  • If you plan to add sugar or citric acid to your gummies, do so after they have been fully air dryed. Do not try to do this immediately after they come out of the molds, the will melt.
  • Store in an airtight container and enjoy!

NOTES:

*Make a TEST batch first:
As always, I recommend you make one *non-infused* test batch of gummies before trying with your actual infusion to ensure you like the process, taste, and consistency of the final product. This ensures no 'good stuff'gets wasted.
  • Unflavored gelatin note: If you are using butter or solid coconut oil, use ¾ ounce (3 Knox packs) of gelatin. If you are using a liquid oil, such as MCT oil, use 1 ounce (4 Knox packs) of gelatin. If you want an extra firm gummy, use 1¼ ounce (5 Knox packs) of gelatin.
  • Lecithin notes: You can use powdered or liquid lecithin in the exact same amount. If your infused oil was already made with lecithin, you should still add the additional lecithin called for in this recipe.
  • Mold inhibitors: In this recipe, I've used lemon juice as a natural preservative and mold inhibitor. It does not lend a strong or noticeable flavor to the gummies. You can also use LorAnn Mold Inhibitor or potassium sorbate in place of the lemon juice.
  • When air drying: Humidity will cause an issue of oil sweating if you are air-drying your gummies, especially if they are made with MCT oil. If it is humid where you live, you must air dry your gummies in the refrigerator where the temperature and humidity are better controlled. If you use a food dehydrator to dry your gummies, you must ensure it does not use heat. Any low-temperature dehydrators (~90°) will cause your gummies to melt.

NUTRITION​

Serving: 1gummy | Calories: 29kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 10mg | Sugar: 2g
I'm made this recipe for the 1st time. The oil separated. I melted it down again and wished it for a longer period. It looks like the oil is floating to the top again. Ideas?

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back