Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Meds Is Cannabis Addictive

I thought this was a really good video that explains addiction well.

I'm sorry, Mom....just couldn't hang in there for an hour with his deadpan, monotone, delivery.

But I did get to the part where he was making a point about alcohol being addictive, but only to a subsetof people, and that this parallels MJ.

I'm not sure how enthused I am by that point of view. Many people in 12 step programs say that they are alcoholics (and who am I to contradict them) but it is my absolute conviction that the bodies those who are 'real' alcoholics react differently to alcohol than others. They haven't found the smoking gun, but if you have worked with alcoholics enough, you will become (I think) convinced of my point.

To me, MJ is habit forming. No doubt. But having some significant experience with addiction to substances for which there is no ambiguity, I have to say that IMO there is a definite difference.

Just my POV, is all.

I thought this was a really good video that explains addiction well.

I saw this and immediately remembered this guy from the documentary on Netflix called Culture High. Its a great documentary and Dr. Maté really has a good understanding of what addiction is. Here is a link to the clip from Culture High for those who cannot hang with this guy for an hour like me and my buddy @Baron23

But I did get to the part where he was making a point about alcohol being addictive, but only to a subsetof people, and that this parallels MJ.

I'm not sure how enthused I am by that point of view.
I think his point was more than some people are more prone to addiction because of their personalities. That some can drink, or use cannabis, and not form any dependency on it. They fall more into the recreational category.

But I get your point about his monotonous voice. I had to listen in increments, lol.

My feeling about cannabis is that, like any substance, it can be abused. How dependent you become and how that dependency affects you and your daily life is the criteria.

I think his point was more than some people are more prone to addiction because of their personalities.

Yes, but this is where I would use the term habituation as some folks are more easily habituated to drugs and alcohol. To me, this is the difference between a heavy drinker and an alcoholic who goes through withdrawal (DTs, yeah) when they stop. You can feed a lot of booze to a heavy drinking non-alchy, they can get habituated and have it cause issues, but they will not have the DT's and by my definition they are not addicted.

Yeah, psychological addiction...yeah, i get it...biggest marketing scam of the detox/rehab industry ever...well, that and these days we all have to be a victim of some sort of pathology. After all, it couldn't be because we like to get high and aren't perhaps the most self-denying people in the world?? LOL

I fall into that category...I like it and have lousy will power when it comes to denying myself. I'm good for the sprint, but loose interest in the marathon.

I know others will disagree.....but I often think we have stretched the definition of addiction beyond reason.

Yeah, psychological addiction...yeah, i get it...biggest marketing scam of the detox/rehab industry ever...well, that and these days we all have to be a victim of some sort of pathology. After all, it couldn't be because we like to get high and aren't perhaps the most self-denying people in the world?? LOL
Yes! We should only be using formal medical definitions (DSM/ICD) to discuss addiction/dependency. The lay usage of the term has lost all meaning long ago, being used to describe everything from people's fondness for chocolate all the way to a hardcore heroin habit.

I know others will disagree.....but I often think we have stretched the definition of addiction beyond reason.
Again, in the lay usage, yes. The medical literature is actually very clear and when you follow for example the DSM guidelines to diagnose anything cannabis related, you'll note that it is very, very difficult to establish a diagnosis of a dependency/addiction.

Alcohol, on the other hand, is physically addictive in the classic 'if you drink too much of it too often for too long, then you can die from the withdrawals upon cessation of drinking for much time at all' variety. People really need to understand that alcohol is legitimately incredibly addictive in this sense. Any scientist who researches addiction will tell you this (NOT QUACK REHAB DOCTORS, WHO IN MY VIEW ARE NOT DOING SCIENTIFIC WORK - capitalized to spell out my disdain for this industry).

However, where a lot of people have problems is that they think that an addictive substance will have you hooked from your first try. This is bullshit. Even a very real, very physical addiction is more gradual. You use something without any idea/thought of the consequences and after a little while (a few weeks, a month, a year), you try to stop using the drug and realize that this cessation makes you profoundly sick in a way that you never gotten before (This is crucial, if you get sick from something you used to get before already from a pre-existing illness, then this does not meet medical definition for withdrawals and cannot be held to be evidence of dependence).

Some people can and do develop bad habits surrounding cannabis usage which may distract them from arguably more important things in their lives. I certainly do not and of course many others in this community don't either. Some people develop bad habits with video games too. Or watching the tube, or any number of inane, seemingly everyday things. None of these things are addictions comparable to an addiction with a substance like heroin, cigarettes, alcohol etc. They're just bad habits or pre-occupations :twocents: Not to say that these situations cannot become clinically significant in any case, just a different beast to your classic drugs of dependence.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back