Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Meds Kief

Do you like to collect kief?

• Yes

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • No it's a waste of time

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
Lol it is not plant material at all :rofl: , I use a very fine screen that allows no plant material thru, if you look under a microscope the trichomes are purple, and it’s blackberry from my growing days. See no plant material with non purple buds (see pic), no green as you said, also used the same grinder for years.
View attachment 37320
View attachment 37322
View attachment 37329
Also here’s some purple trichomes, not all clear like you say, or as I preferred my trichomes more cloudy for peak THC, with about 20% amber for a nice stoney relaxing effect
Yes trichs have colours
But even the colours in @bulllee well described post you can see the trichs are still somewhat see through (even the opaque ones)
Flashes will show up more colours than the see through part due to refelction too (try taking pics of your clean bong with and without a flash - I did photography for years pre digital)
The flash is good to show up the colour the trich contains is what the photographer above is explaining
Less light gives less reflection and you can see through more
This is with the big professional camera too - with a phone camera you will be lucky to pick up these colours especially not zoomed in and most often will get the shiny looking "crystals" because all we get is flash reflection and light not colour so much
Have a look at @I'm Ron Burgundy? amazing natural light pics on his phone
He is a sunlight fan for pics and gets amazing results you'd think we're from a professional camera

So even though trichs can have colour in them - there is most definitely plant material in your kief and that is helping create that purple colour, as with the light green in your other pics and the usual yellow/brown you are used to in your kief (btw I can see green in your kief - just like I saw char in your avb, if you can't it's selective vision)
Even a dry sift made from unchopped bud will have a small amount of plant material
Kief from a grinder is littered with tiny bits of plant material that has been ground in the grinder
Pretty sure your space case will have the same screen as others
Even a fine one will let ground up plant material through

This is the difference between kief and either dry sift or ice bubble
They are decidedly different in look, flavour and hit - very noticeable in flavour or in the final hash product made
It's so much cleaner (as @Kellya86 mentioned) and noticeable that it makes kief seem dirty (although kief is still good stuff, especially for rosin)

Look up Frenchie (rip) on YouTube
He made some amazing hash and has great techniques
Or look at motg post on what is kief/hash

Even when I have made ice bubble from fully purple bud the product does not look as bright as your grinder which will be tainted by plant material
Check Frenchie videos and see the colour of 90% of his final product before he turns it into traditional hash blocks

This doesn't mean your kief is shite
It just means it's grinder powder saved up and it is what it is - not just trichs alone though

This isn't to say you or your kief is bad
Just it is what it is
Please try to be less defensive at ppls comments - this isn't about mine is better than yours or some competition ppl make up in there heads
I wasn't trying to have a go at you, we all learn stuff from being in here and it isn't attacks when people give us information

The pic you provided was a nice google search
Do you have zoomed in pics of your trichs for curiosity sake? They are nice buds as a mentioned

Last edited:
Yes trichs have colours
But even the colours in @bulllee well described post you can see the trichs are still somewhat see through (even the opaque ones)
Flashes will show up more colours than the see through part due to refelction too (try taking pics of your clean bong with and without a flash - I did photography for years pre digital)
The flash is good to show up the colour the trich contains is what the photographer above is explaining
Less light gives less reflection and you can see through more
This is with the big professional camera too - with a phone camera you will be lucky to pick up these colours especially not zoomed in and most often will get the shiny looking "crystals" because all we get is flash reflection and light not colour so much
Have a look at @I'm Ron Burgundy? amazing natural light pics on his phone
He is a sunlight fan for pics and gets amazing results you'd think we're from a professional camera

So even though trichs can have colour in them - there is most definitely plant material in your kief and that is helping create that purple colour, as with the light green in your other pics and the usual yellow/brown you are used to in your kief (btw I can see green in your kief - just like I saw char in your avb, if you can't it's selective vision)
Even a dry sift made from unchopped bud will have a small amount of plant material
Kief from a grinder is littered with tiny bits of plant material that has been ground in the grinder
Pretty sure your space case will have the same screen as others
Even a fine one will let ground up plant material through

This is the difference between kief and either dry sift or ice bubble
They are decidedly different in look, flavour and hit - very noticeable in flavour or in the final hash product made
It's so much cleaner (as @Kellya86 mentioned) and noticeable that it makes kief seem dirty (although kief is still good stuff, especially for rosin)

Look up Frenchie (rip) on YouTube
He made some amazing hash and has great techniques
Or look at motg post on what is kief/hash

Even when I have made ice bubble from fully purple bud the product does not look as bright as your grinder which will be tainted by plant material
Check Frenchie videos and see the colour of 90% of his final product before he turns it into traditional hash blocks

This doesn't mean your kief is shite
It just means it's grinder powder saved up and it is what it is - not just trichs alone though

This isn't to say you or your kief is bad
Just it is what it is
Please try to be less defensive at ppls comments - this isn't about mine is better than yours or some competition ppl make up in there heads
I wasn't trying to have a go at you, we all learn stuff from being in here and it isn't attacks when people give us information

The pic you provided was a nice google search
Do you have zoomed in pics of your trichs for curiosity sake? They are nice buds as a mentioned
There is not plant material in my kief, I’ve looked at it under a microscope and it only trichomes, I use a very tight screen, no as I don’t have a good camera with a macro lens, I was a grower, not a photographer, also you are able to zoom in on pics you know. And is isn’t being defensive when you are wrong about my kief that I’ve just looked at again under a microscope to confirm it’s definitely only trichomes not plant material that you seem to think and keep mentioning. you know nothing as you do not have my keif in front of you (and it is not green at all).
I have grown many purple strains and I alway gotten purple trichomes on many occasions with different strains in the purple family. Blackberry was consistently darker purple trichomes thank other I grown. (Some purple strains didn’t have the colour change in trichomes at all). A quick google search and you will see indeed many people have also had purple kief.

Last edited:
There is not plant material in my kief, I’ve looked at it under a microscope and it only trichomes, I use a very tight screen, no as I don’t have a good camera with a macro lens, I was a grower, not a photographer, also you are able to zoom in on pics you know. And is isn’t being defensive when you are wrong about my kief that I’ve just looked at again under a microscope to confirm it’s definitely only trichomes not plant material that you seem to think and keep mentioning. you know nothing as you do not have my keif in front of you (and it is not green at all).
I have grown many purple strains and I alway gotten purple trichomes on many occasions with different strains in the purple family. Blackberry was consistently darker purple trichomes thank other I grown. (Some purple strains didn’t have the colour change in trichomes at all). A quick google search and you will see indeed many people have also had purple kief.
I think you need to read the comments made by ppl (not just me) re your over defensive manner and taking offence at information
Please change the manner of communication and energy brought here

Nobody called you names or insulted you or your kief
ALL kief collected from a grinder has plant material
In fact I would say that even ice bubble and proper dry sift would still have minute bits of plant material

Nobody is trying to make you seem stupid or less than
Just discussing weed, you don't have to take it to heart like I was running your kief down

I asked for a pic not to prove you wrong but to look as the bud is lovely looking and I like seeing weed at many angles
I can't zoom in to the trichs from your pic lol it needs to be a zoomed in pic
If you go look at my pics in what are you vaping thread you'll see close up of trichs from my phone camera
Or if you check @I'm Ron Burgundy? Pics his are way better quality and it's all on his phone in the sun

Now, here in your pic with perfect purple trichs - you can see the ends are still see through - and when taken without a professional camera zoomed in with its flashes you get the shiny crystal look more than those colours
Even the article bullee shared states that all the flashes on his canon help show up the colours (re my bong example in prior post to help understand falshes and photography without sidetracking this topic)
See the clear looking ends

F99403A0-1DE3-4AAB-A7BF-EE670383E8D2.png

I'm not trying to say anything bad about your kief - however as with all kief yours has definitely got plant material in it ....... Now here in your kief pic I can see green bits - tiny, but there and in more than where I highlighted but definitely there and if you can't see it then it may be like when you said there was definitely no charring in your dv - yet when you put a pic up there it was along side green bits in the middle
IMG_20220602_144931.jpg

As for what I have and know - again this is not a pissing contest and I learn off people here everyday......

BUT - here is some kief I have (I don't usually collect kief anymore as I prefer the trichs in my mix and I also make higher quality concentrates now - but a couple of weeks back because of all the talk here I decided to collect some again - which I also may stop doing soon as I remember why I stopped)
Also note - two pictures, same kief
One with phone camera flash, the other with a torch - see how one light makes it look green and the other brown/yellow...... photography trickses
IMG20220602143456.jpg
IMG20220602143446.jpg
IMG20220602143501.jpg

Now as to what I have/know besides kief?

Here is my buckets for making ice bubble "hash" and bubble bags
IMG20220602143529.jpg
IMG20220602143604.jpg

Next I have my dabpress for making rosin
IMG20220602143622.jpg

I have dry sift screens but they are packed away - this is how you make proper trich only (almost) powder
So yea I do understand about the differences and traits of various trates....and have access to them

As a grower I would have thought you would know and utilise a number of methods to process your weed, and highly suggest you research the halls here for ideas
If I was in a position to grow I would have dry screens for trimming time (making yourself dry sift "hash" at the same time)
I would give ice bubble a go too but only if you have lots of material otherwise it can be too much effort to be bothered
A rosin press
Feco for the final process of leftovers and avb to make use of the whole plant

Once you play with these different materials and trates you get to experience different things and flavours etc etc
And as @Kellya86 mentioned, although kief is still a nice product, once you experience the others you both understand the difference and see kief as not as clean

You can dab ice bubble and dry sift
Kief leaves your dab surface dirty - because of plant material

Legal medical weed here you can buy 55% thc powder - its basically kief, the other 45% is plant material

Ice and dry sift are much closer to 90%

I came here 4/5 years ago and had what I thought was much knowledge on weed
I had grown in the past and watched adults grow since I was a kid
Had made hash and oil

In the 4/5 years I've been on here I've learnt soooo much and realised I knew sweet FA prior (I'm getting closer to 50 these days and had a fair bit of experience and knowledge)
What we all knew and our parents knew has changed
With legalisation in other countries they have been able to use new tech and fine tune things
We learn better ways to produce products and we learn about the plant and processing it all the time

Motg shared a post about hash/kief etc recently that helped define differences people debated
We all learn here and no one knows everything
We learn new things here every week
See, like science changes its opinion with the production of new evidence, we too should do so in order to grow in life as people
Otherwise it's just faith and cognitive dissonance

I'm sharing information with you to absorb if you choose to stop blocking incoming knowledge
For me putting away my "I know the most and am the biggest stoner" ego and trying new things has really opened up my weed experience and made my weed world a much better place
I now get to enjoy much better and more enjoyable ways to consume weed and wow is weed life even better than I thought prior
Tastier and stronger and cleaner

Your kief looks great as far as kief goes
And your purple bud looks amazing

Your kief has plant material in it though as does all kief
This is not an insult to you or your kief

Happy vaping

EDIT
and in the same vein as I said I once thought kief was the best thing until I had access to and learnt to make other and better materials to compare
People in other fully legal countries have even more access to things and thus know more about qualities and difference in materials than I do
I learn from motg and others from their posts of what they have access to
There are also people much more anal than I about what is a good quality trate
There's many variables
But kief, especially from a grinder has more plant material than other forms of trayes particularly the powders
Doesn't mean it isn't a load of lovely trichs and it's nothing to be upset by :)

Last edited:
Okay... before this escalates into an argument, I'm going to step into this conversation with some clarification. @felvapes is correct in that if kief has a lot of color... it has plant matter in it.

Here is another article that explains kief in more detail (as to what it should look like if pure):

Note this phrase from it:

the color of the kief will give you an indication of its quality. The purer the kief, the lighter the color will be. If the kief has a greenish color, then it also contains a considerable amount of plant material and therefore is less pure. Kief with an off-white color will be much purer and be by far the better choice.

So what the article tells us is that pure kief will be almost colorless or very light in color. And if there is a greenish (or in this case purple) hue to the kief it DOES have plant matter in it. Now this was a quick Google search and I'm sure I can come up with many more sources. But the bottom line is that if kief has a lot of color... it has plant matter in it. Period. This doesn't mean the kief is not good, nor does it mean that anything is 'wrong' with it. It's just not 'pure' in the truest sense of the word.

All this said... that purple kief is gorgeous and looks yummy. I haven't had a purple strain in ages.

Okay... before this escalates into an argument, I'm going to step into this conversation with some clarification. @felvapes is correct in that if kief has a lot of color... it has plant matter in it.

Here is another article that explains kief in more detail (as to what it should look like if pure):

Note this phrase from it:

So what the article tells us is that pure kief will be almost colorless or very light in color. And if there is a greenish (or in this case purple) hue to the kief it DOES have plant matter in it. Now this was a quick Google search and I'm sure I can come up with many more sources. But the bottom line is that if kief has a lot of color... it has plant matter in it. Period. This doesn't mean the kief is not good, nor does it mean that anything is 'wrong' with it. It's just not 'pure' in the truest sense of the word.

All this said... that purple kief is gorgeous and looks yummy. I haven't had a purple strain in ages.

However, just to be certain about the quality of his BH, Mom, I think it would be a good idea if he sent about 10 grams to you and to me so we can test it!!

Seriously, I really wouldn't mind taking the time to do that for a fellow VA member.

Squibs, you in?

:aaaaa::aaaaa:

If it doesn't fully melt, its got plant material.

Love the series of the unfortunately late Frenchie Cannoli

This the first vid of four (I think four total....been a while since I watched) where he takes you thru his entire process and does discuss where in his series of bags he gets the true top shelf and how that appears to him as he works with it.

I always wanted some of his hash (even though it was quite expensive) but it was only sold in CA and then he died rather young.

Oh, and fuck YouTube....LOL

I was wondering if any of you have ever bought kief at your dispensary and then used a pollen press to press the kief into pucks of "hash"?

If so, how was it?

I'm thinking of trying it.
I have with mixed results. The stuff in the dispensaries is of mixed quality, I pressed some and it was ok. It did start to crumble after a couple days. The next time I pressed the kief, I threw the whole pollen press in a warm oven 180 Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. The color became a light amber and it did stick together . The taste was good, almost as good as the 70's :biggrin: . I was able to score some hand rubbed hash not too long ago :wink:, yummy stuff.

I have with mixed results. The stuff in the dispensaries is of mixed quality, I pressed some and it was ok. It did start to crumble after a couple days. The next time I pressed the kief, I threw the whole pollen press in a warm oven 180 Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. The color became a light amber and it did stick together . The taste was good, almost as good as the 70's :biggrin: . I was able to score some hand rubbed hash not too long ago :wink:, yummy stuff.

Yepper, I'm thinking that trying to make a blond hash via a pollen press is probably highly dependent on getting heat into the equation somehow

About 10 years ago I drove up to Ann Arbor and found some hash in a fancy downtown dispensary...bought a large chunk of it about the size of the palm of my hand for $100...it was
G R R R E A T!

Ohio has lots of concentrates at their dispensaries but none of that stuff (hash) from the 70's...at least that I can find! ☹☹☹

Hey @MOTG

I was athinkin'...I do that from time to time...haven't harmed anyone yet..least not seriously. :myday:

What if a certain Michagander would travel to:

Then she could tell all of us Cannabis Elders here at VA all about her experience so that we might also enjoy a little vicarious "old school "time travel" as well?

No hurry...some time this summer maybe?

OOOPS! Sorry about the btb posts!

Hey @MOTG
LOL..... I would be happy to accommodate. However.... I do not see hash anywhere on their menu. I see hash infused pre-rolls and hash rosin... but no hash. And at $210/8th for their rosin, it's a bit steep. I get it for $32/gram from my caregiver.

I haven't seen any hash in the dispos. Then again... I haven't really been looking. I'll keep an eye out. I know @Squiby gets hash. Hey Squibs... care to take over as the one they live vicariously through? :lol:

Buuuuuuummmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeererrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

I had read the post (below) they had made on their website and didn't look any further. Maybe if some of you Michiganders request they put you on their mailing list they might contact you when they make up the next batch?

===========================================================

"With hydrocarbon extracted extracts and dabable non-solvent products dominating the market we were stoked to respond to the numerous requests for Bubble Hash.

All the old school heads that talked us into making the Hash don’t need this advice but our retail sales staff has had multiple questions on how best to use it. You can use it however you like including edibles (with some minor preparation) but we found two techniques that seem to work the best:

• The first technique is easy, provided you know how to roll a joint. Break up the desired amount of hash (1/8th to 1/4th of a puck) into small pieces. Roll the joint as usual but before folding the paper onto itself, sprinkle the broken-up hash onto your bed of ground flower. Small chunks of evenly distributed hash will help the joint roll smooth.
  • Another age-old technique that doesn’t require any previous canna-skills is layering the hash in a traditional cannabis pipe or bong. Prepare the hash by breaking up the desired amount into small pieces. Lightly pack a very small amount of ground cannabis flower on the bottom of the bowl to create an organic “filter” for your hash. Once the hash is loaded into the bowl, cover the hash completely with more ground flower. This top layer will act as a buffer between your lighter flame and the hash and allows the hash to slowly smolder for a more pleasant smoking experience. Using a lighter or hemp-wick, light a corner of the bowl and allow the hash to be combusted by the burning herb. Once the hash is burning, it should stay lit for a while allowing for a relaxing, if slightly intense smoke session.
Whether you are an old school hash head looking to add a bit of nostalgia to your cannabis routine or a modern connoisseur, looking for a natural way to crank up your flower sessions, we think you will enjoy our Winewood pressed bubble hash pucks."

Buy Bubble Hash Now

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back