Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Meds Kief

Do you like to collect kief?

• Yes

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • No it's a waste of time

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

momofthegoons

Vapor Accessory Addict
Staff member
Kief
ˈkēf | Noun
Definition:
An accumulation of trichome glands sifted from cannabis flowers with a mesh screen or sieve. Kief is the most potent part of the plant in terms of cannabinoids with a high concentration of tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA).

I've gotten into many discussions with people about whether or not they use a kief catcher in their grinder, or use a pollen box, to collect it. Many prefer to just use the ground up bud without taking any of the kief out of the equation. I like to top off a DV stem with a bit... or make a 'sandwich' with some herb in the SSV for a more powerful hit on days where I need a little extra pain relief. I've also used kief successfully in baking to amp up the strength.

How do you guys feel about it?

AN INTRODUCTION TO KIEF AND SIX WAYS TO PUT IT TO GOOD USE
While admiring your cannabis, you've probably noticed those beautiful, tiny little crystals that cover it. But did you know that what you're seeing is kief? In this blog, you will discover what kief is, how to collect it and its many uses.

Smoking cannabis flower is an age-old and highly effective way to experience the psychoactive effects of THC. However, some smokers like to step things up a notch and opt for concentrates, refined versions of the active constituents of cannabis that make for a fast-acting and hard-hitting high.

WHAT IS KIEF?
One such concentrated form of cannabis is known as kief, which is essentially trichome dust. Trichomes are tiny glands that occupy the flowers and leaves of cannabis plants, excreting a thick and sticky resin that houses molecules we know and love, such as THC, CBD, and many other cannabinoids and terpenes. Trichomes aren’t just there to provide humans with a psychoactive experience; they play an important role in the survival of plants. These small glands produce secondary metabolites that help protect plants against potential threats such as insects and high temperatures.

Creating kief involves detaching these small chemical factories from cannabis flowers and saving them up until a large quantity has been collected. This pile of trichomes can then be used in a multitude of ways to provide a potent high. Because the trichomes contain cannabinoids, kief offers a much more intense high than smoking cannabis flowers, where the smoke would normally contain combusted plant material and other less desirable molecules.

HOW TO COLLECT KIEF
Kief is a simple cannabis concentrate and doesn’t involve much preparation or work at all. The easiest way to harvest kief is from bone dry buds that have been properly dried and cured. Wet and incorrectly dried flowers will not grind up as well, meaning the trichomes will be harder to remove.

The typical way to start building a collection of kief is to use a grinder with multiple chambers, with three layers being ideal. These grinders feature an upper chamber, where the cannabis flowers are placed between metal or plastic teeth and ground up to a powder. The ground up particles then fall through small holes into the second layer where they are collected on top of a metal mesh. This ground plant matter is too big to pass through the mesh, however, the miniscule trichomes easily fall through to a kief chamber that resides below.

Over time, this bottom chamber will fill up with trichomes. Before long, you’ll have a mountain of trichomes ready to be used in whatever ways you wish.

Kief-Costo.jpg

WHAT TO DO WITH ALL THIS KIEF?
Once you have built up a decent supply of kief, it’s time to decide how to use it. This trichome powder can be used in many different ways to provide a potent psychoactive high.

1. LOAD IT INTO A JOINT
Kief can be used as a THC supplement when it comes to rolling joints. If you and your smoking buddies feel like it’s time to blast off, then reach for the kief jar and sprinkle a few pinches inside the joint before rolling. This will add some serious kick, and will be of particular assistance when the flower you’re smoking isn’t as potent as you’d hoped. Alternatively, the more creative joint engineers out there may wish to coat the outside of the joint in kief for an extreme aesthetic appeal. Douse the outside of the joint in wax, or simply lick it and roll it around on a plate full of kief.

2. GET CREATIVE IN THE KITCHEN
Kief can be infused into cannabutter, which can then be used in practically any recipe to provide a potent edible high. Kief cannabutter can be added to cakes, brownies, sauces, dressings, and a whole host of other options. Just remember the golden rule of cooking with cannabis: decarboxylation. Whatever you’re cooking, make sure to expose your cannabis to a temperature of 110ºC for 30–45 minutes first to convert THCA into psychoactive THC.

Kief-Joint.jpg

3. MAKE SOME E-LIQUID AND VAPE IT
Kief can be used to create some homemade e-liquid that can be loaded into a vape pen and used at home or discreetly whilst on-the-go. To make e-liquid, you’ll need to obtain some propylene glycol and vegetable glycerine, along with a coffee filter, a metal or glass bowl, a cooking pot, and some syringes.

Fill your pot with water and place your bowl on top of it to create a DIY double boiler. Then pour a 1:1 ratio of vegetable glycerine to propylene glycol into the boiler. Add your kief to the mix and turn up the heat to a boil. Wait for the mixture to melt and form a thick and smooth consistency. Then proceed to pour the mixture through the coffee filter into a container and let it cool. Fill up your syringes and you’re ready to load up your vape.

4. TURN IT INTO ROSIN
Kief can be used to make your own supply of hash, considering you have saved up a good quantity of trichomes. To make this, you’ll need some parchment paper and an iron (hair straighteners can also be used). Place your kief within the parchment paper and fold it over. Press the paper with the heating device of your choice for a short period of time under heavy pressure, and watch a brown goo ooze across the paper. This resinous substance is ideal for loading into bong bowl or firing up on the dab rig.

5. MAKE A SIFT-HASH STASH
Hash made from kief is also known as dry-sift hash. This substance has a different consistency than normal hash and is more powdery and crumbly. The key to making hash is compressive force. This force can be applied via the use of a pressing machine or with bare hands. You'll need a fair amount kief to get started on this project, but once you have enough it's very easy to make. Fill a small plastic bag with your kief, roll it up tight, and tape shut. Next, wrap the package up tightly in 3 layers of newspaper and wet the newspaper once it's wrapped. Now, use a hair straightener and apply pressure to the package for a few seconds at a time until it’s properly compressed. Unwrap the package to unveil a compressed, clean block of kief hash.

Kief
ˈkēf | Noun
Definition:
An accumulation of trichome glands sifted from cannabis flowers with a mesh screen or sieve. Kief is the most potent part of the plant in terms of cannabinoids with a high concentration of tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA).

I've gotten into many discussions with people about whether or not they use a kief catcher in their grinder, or use a pollen box, to collect it. Many prefer to just use the ground up bud without taking any of the kief out of the equation. I like to top off a DV stem with a bit... or make a 'sandwich' with some herb in the SSV for a more powerful hit on days where I need a little extra pain relief. I've also used kief successfully in baking to amp up the strength.

How do you guys feel about it?
Eh, I don't seperate kief from the leaf on purpose...but I do have a couple of drying boxes with screens in the bottom and I do seperately collect any that falls through incidental to grinding/drying my herb.

I don't use kief catcher grinders.

Lately, I have been able to buy dry sift kief at our MMJ dispensaries and I caught some on sale so have a few grams of it.....I too like to sprinkle a bit on top of a flower load.

I hate to say it, but I'm an animal. Heck, I'm barely allowed on the furniture. Kief, grinder. That's my jam. I'm kind of ashamed of it, so there might be some binge eating going to happen soon...or mebbe it's the munchies. Don't know. My fault, I'm sure. I have a kief box, but what, I'm going to throw bud in there and shake it around ? I have this fear - almost a phobia, really - of getting ripped wrists. I know it's not a popular opinion, however, I do think I personally look better without overly muscular wrists. Shaking the old kief box is a surefire way to get bulging wrists. Or wrist, if you forget to change hands. What I do is - and you can borrow this if you like - I put some weedy weed weed in the kief box, put the lid on, then put it down on the hardwood floors (yes, I'm bragging a bit, but I had to tear that carpet up on my hands and knees) and then sort of nudge it along with my foot. Just scoot it a bit, every once in awhile. I don't kick it or anything, nothing vigorous at all. More like really slow soccer, where the ball can't leave the ground. But slow, very slow. Stay away from stairs, and be careful to not let it get lost under the couch, and eventually you get some kiefy goodness without too much effort. Keeps the wrists slender. For me, anyway.
Still, I'm about the grinder, mostly. What could be easier ? Time goes by, I open the grinder, I scoop some on a bed of weed, then vape away. Dainty wrists, and I'm happy, happy, happy.

I started collecting a free years ago with a RYOT screen box. Have since graduated to a home made tumbler that will hold 1 lb per run. A couple of short runs collects the easy pollen. A 24 hour run can collect it all. This and bubble are becoming my fave solvent-free extraction methods...

sort of nudge it along with my foot. Just scoot it a bit, every once in awhile. I don't kick it or anything, nothing vigorous at all. More like really slow soccer, where the ball can't leave the ground. But slow, very slow. Stay away from stairs, and be careful to not let it get lost under the couch, and eventually you get some kiefy goodness without too much effort. Keeps the wrists slender. For me, anyway.

Yes, but be careful you don't get Cankles. :rofl:

Yes, but be careful you don't get Cankles. :rofl:
You are so right. I've lately thought of getting a Roomba to ride it around. I figure there'd be enough gentle vibration to shake my Ryot box. All keif goodness, clean floors, And no cankles. The only problem is, do I count the purchase as Household or Hobby ? I like to keep my budget as neat as my floors. I keep grabbing household items for weedish usage. Coffee grinder, slow cooker, Instant Pot, hair iron, and now a Roomba ? Still, it's medicinal, and lovely ankles are as much a joy as slender wrists. Thank you, @Baron23 , for pointing out the obvious, that I completely missed.

You are so right. I've lately thought of getting a Roomba to ride it around. I figure there'd be enough gentle vibration to shake my Ryot box.

Nah....just tape your vibrator to the lid and it will be fine! hahaha jk :razz::nut::naughty2::wink:

I have a shaker bag, but I haven't used it much. It's actually a lot of work. I bought a huge mirror at a goodwill store to collect the sift on. I even removed the kief screen from my slx grinder because it took up too much room in the grinder to suit me.

I've seen a homemade shaker deal once made from a silkscreen stretched over a wood frame and was shaken by a vibrator mechanism, lol. It worked but was too small for anything over a half ounce. It all fit in a shoebox.

And i have a rv washing machine and a bag set for making water hash too. Haven't used that in years.

Since I got my press, rosin does it for me.

Try pressing rosin from kief some time. Less heat, less pressure, beautiful smell and texture :)

I have pressed kief several times, at 180F and low pressure in a fine mesh bag, but like I mentioned I don't get a lot of it. I have no problems with it, or water hash, but for me, rosin from buds fills those categories.

A lot of growers use trim for kief, or water hash, but as a caregiver I give trim for free to my patients. It reduces any weight I have around, and is less work for me, plus the patients like the arrangement. Making rosin or even RSO also reduces my herb overall weight, something I have to be aware of. In my state I can have ten oz, but can only hold 2.5 oz for patients. So it's always a juggling act.

I met someone once that buys trim from growers. He has a tumbler that he makes sift hash with, then presses it at high temps. The extra heat makes the rosin shatter like, and he sells it as shatter at a premium on the black market. Misleading along with questionable legality.

I have removed the screen from my grinder and the kief collects on the inner surface of the grinder naturally, but I don't actively collect it. I do scrape it out periodically, but I just toda it right back into the container that holds my ground up material for the session.

I like grinder kief,
IMG_20181209_152113.jpg

Kief (2).jpg

Every grinder manufacturer should at least have the option of a kief catcher, I would more than likely look at more purchases than what I already have if they did, I am thinking of a Gr8tr V2 next lot of sales...maybe.:thumbsup:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back