Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

beyond6strings

This is my first week here on VA. I noticed there wasn't a thread for one of my favorite vapes; the Lil' Bud from Vapwood. For those of you who participate at FC as well you know the maker as Bravesst.

I am a fan of artisan crafted items. Whether its guitars, beer, bourbon, or vaporizers, I just love the custom nature of the builds, and getting to know the maker along the way. I find I have a lot in common with folks who make things with their hands-there is an immediate kinship.

The Lil' Bud, or LB as most of it call it, is an all-wood, self-regulated on-demand convection vaporizer that uses 1 18650 battery. The coil is rolled by hand, and it's the heart of the LB. And it's the way I start most of my days with cannabis. As with all self-regulated devices there is a learning curve. However, outside of the vapcap, the LB is a breeze to get wonderful tasty vapor without a lot of fuss.

The coil heats up very quickly allowing the user to start a slow draw with almost no pre-heat. After that it's about matching your draw to the heat of the vapor, finding the point to release the button and then finish off a long draw. I find the taste of the vapor through wood to be very tasty. It is different than glass. Woodier as one might expect, but not in a bad way.

And I do use glass stems from time to time, and they work really well too. The taste is different, still very good. With my glass stem the taste is closer to my Solo OG, but still woodier.

The roasting tubes are very consistent in ID size making it very easy to find/adapt screens. I use top hat screens I've found on Amazon or domed screens included with the stems. Both work great. I find I like the top hats in the shorter stems and the domed screens in the longer stems. The top hat creates a bit more restriction which helps me control my draw speed on the wide open short stems much better.

This is my all-Cherry LB from Batch 7B. Mike builds in batches. He's just shipped out Batch 8B and my LB is now called the LB Classic. One of the things that I love about Mike is that he shares lots of updates on his builds. You get to see your vaporizer come to life over the course of a few weeks, and that's very appealing to me.

hywSVOM.jpg

Mike has moved into some more exotic designs over the past couple of months, and his line-up now includes LB Blends and LB Uniques. These use multiple species of woods for switch-box, back battery plate, and may or may not include a center stripe. Most of his LB Classics, Blends and Uniques can be had for under $200. That's a great deal for a handmade item. For me my LB Classic is a piece of functional art, and I use it every single day.

As I type I'm thinking about two possible LB Blend designs to help me celebrate the release of my new album in December. I'm trying to decide between the two, but having a tough time. I may have to just get both. I am a Gemini might as well make both of me happy.

Mike has begun work on a new vaporizer, the Lil' Bud Elite which will be a regulated device using a DNA 75w chip. This will be a bit larger than the LB Classic but similar look. All wood except for the DNA chip, coil and switch mechanism.

If you're into artisan vaporizers, especially on-demand devices, the LB deserves some attention.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hello All,

Let me introduce myself. I'm Mike, founder of Vapwood, and creator of Lil' Bud, the dry herb, on demand, portable all wood vaporizer. LB has been evolving for about a year now, and has seen many changes. Here's an unedited pic of my latest Blended unit. Lil' Bud comes in classic Cherry, Walnut, and blended woods. Currently, I'm working on the Lil' Bud Elite, a fully regulated version of this classic, complete with a DNA 75C chip. The Elite should be ready in about a month or so, but is available for pre-order right now. LB has a stainless steel coil mesh heater that will last for the lifetime of the unit. The air path is stainless steel lined, but all wood, with no electronics, plastics or adhesives.The unit is powered by a single 18650 battery, and inherently highly efficient.

I'd be happy to keep you updated on Lil' Bud progress, if there is any audience here who's interested. You can read more about Lil' Bud on my website, but feel free to ask questions. >>VAPWOOD.COM

20181009-181354.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning VA!

Starting the new week with a clearance sale on Lil' Bud Uniq's. That's a category that kinda formed itself, and where every LB can find a home. Some units are fully assembled, some pre-assembled. Fully assembled units will ship by week's end, pre-assembled units will be finalized over the next month. Today, I'm pricing every unit in the gallery at the absolute bottom line price of $150 (bare bones).

>>Sweet Deals

Nice stuff, sent a message through your site. What exactly do you get for the $150(plus freight), any WPA, stems, battery or what?

Nice stuff, sent a message through your site. What exactly do you get for the $150(plus freight), any WPA, stems, battery or what?

I dearly love this vape. It's my go-to for my first session of the day. It's my favorite on-demand device. I just love the flavor and extraction, but even more I love the hand-feel. I just love wood. And I like controlling the experience. The coil heats up faster than anything like it that I've tried. And for me, the fast heat-up time makes it easier to control, and helps with battery-life. For me the quicker heat up time is like the difference between a sharp knife and a dull knife. It's a bit of a sports car. And those are fun.

I noticed this on the Sweet Deals: "Prices are *bare bones* and do not include shipping." Typically bare bones means just the LB, no stem(s) or batts. Still a great deal.

If you decide to go with one I'll gift you a Maple short roasting tube and a long Cherry stem too. It would leave me with two Cherry stems; one short and one long, with two glass-lined long stems on the way from Alan. I've only got one mouth. DM me if you get an LB and I can send you pics of what I can send you.

Thanks for your generous offer but after reading;
LIL' BUD SHOULD NOT BE USED WITH A WATER DEVICE
and
Medium to find grind, or you can dry out and crush by hand (preferred). Too fine a grind will restrict air flow (bad), Too coarse and you'll have air pockets
in the user guide, I have decided it is not for me.:thumbsup:

Thanks for your generous offer but after reading;
LIL' BUD SHOULD NOT BE USED WITH A WATER DEVICE
and
Medium to find grind, or you can dry out and crush by hand (preferred). Too fine a grind will restrict air flow (bad), Too coarse and you'll have air pockets
in the user guide, I have decided it is not for me.:thumbsup:

I believe this style of vape can be readily used with water but you run an increased risk of combustion due to the manual nature & the additional airpath/restriction will make it more challenging due to the manual control. Unless I am missing something that @Mike Vapwood can clarify. The unit is designed for dry use but I have seen an earlier design milk tubes with ease. You will torch a few loads getting it dialled in but like all vapes you get a feel for what it is doing & how it will do it.

I believe this style of vape can be readily used with water but you run an increased risk of combustion due to the manual nature & the additional airpath/restriction will make it more challenging due to the manual control. Unless I am missing something that @Mike Vapwood can clarify. The unit is designed for dry use but I have seen an earlier design milk tubes with ease. You will torch a few loads getting it dialled in but like all vapes you get a feel for what it is doing & how it will do it.

I use mine with water occasionally, and it's not any more difficult than dry. But I'm careful with it as it is a wood vape and wood and water don't get along well.

@LesPlenty it's a smart man who knows what he likes/wants and what works for him and what doesn't. Cheers

Good Morning VA,
Water and wood might not the best idea, but lots of folks do use LB with water, my goal is to keep the unit dry inside.

As I develop the LB Elite, focus has shifted a bit from the unit that started it all, the LB Classic and Blend. A year of hard work went into bringing this SELF regulated unit to where it is today. Lil' Bud's specifications have been ironed out to provide the most user friendly experience possible, with the simplest learning curve. With virtually nothing to go wrong, the LB Classic with the insta heat stainless steel coil, will provide years of service at a very reasonable price. Press the heavy duty 3 amp switch, power the coil, and pull to the sweet taste of pure convection.

>> VAPWOOD SALE

15% off the Lil' Bud Blend Racing Stripe Edition (with coupon code: SPEEDRACER). You can browse what blended woods are currently available (listed in the Vapwood store).
20181003-103146.jpg

various combinations of Cherry, Maple, Walnut, and Purple Heart
20180930-173557.jpg

I'm also going to give 10% off on the unit that started it all, the LB Classic, coupon code: CLASSICO
available in Cherry and Walnut
walnut4short.jpg

These will be shipped with Batch 10, projected turn around time late November to early December.

There is always lots of technique talk around an unregulated, or manually regulated device. LB is no different. What is different about Lil' Bud is the practical design and configuration of coil heater, compartment, and mouthpiece. Trial and error was the only thing that provided the truest results and optimal specs. The Lil' Bud that is sold today has been tweaked, batch by batch, over the past year to make it as effective and user friendly as possible.

With that said, herb prep is still very important in an on demand convection device. Drying, grinding, loading, tamping, are important so as to create the perfect *flower puck* for your draw style. Yes, everybody draw is a bit different, and overall results will vary from user to user. So you need to find the simple formula that works for you, and once you do, it is self regulation heaven.

Yes, the LB Elite with the DNA75 color board, is driving a lot of progress that the Classic is benefiting from, both functionally and cosmetically. I am looking into purchasing a CNC router, which will be capable of doing lots of fine work, making integrating the DNA chip easier, but its uses will spill over I'm sure. I've always wanted to scribe my spiral logo on the side of the unit, this may actually allow that to happen - but no promises until I get my hands on one and know I can use it.

Cold morning on Long Island. Sitting here, at the computer, Reddy on my lap fast asleep. I'm taking a few lil' sips on LB. As progress on the Elite continues, and I wait for Alan to take a look, I want to assemble some more LB 3.0's. Here's my dilemma...

The units in the Sweet Deals gallery that get most attention are the fully assembled units, as they've been selling off lil' by lil'. The pre-assembled units are all 45 minutes from full assembly, but do not get much interest.

In an effort to not waste effort, which sweet deals would you like to see fully assembled and listed in the Sweet Deals gallery? If you can, please take a peek and help me out, it would be much appreciated.

>> SWEET DEALS

Anyone who helps me out with this will be PM'd a coupon code worth $10, redeemable site wide, and I'll also apply it to any unit in the sweet deals gallery.

I got a couple of 4" glass-lined stems from Alan at Toasty-Top this week and after a little experimenting I'm getting the most enjoyable sessions from my LB Classic. It's such a joy.

And man, does it hit hard.

My days are heading from the recording studio to the computer, as I prepare for 9 months of promotion, so I've had to move my use of the LB to later in the afternoon because it hits twice as hard as my Solo.

But what a way to treat myself at the end of the day. Since I've started vaping the LB has replaced my Meerschaum Pipe as my artisanal delivery system for flower.

Over the last year, LB has *warmed up* a bit, mostly due to a tighter coil, and foil lined oven. It was the reason for me nailing down the distances from coil to stem - and a 19/19 stem will also help with that. What I like about the shorter stem vs loading deep, is the ABV seems less gummy, easier to keep clean. If I can dry out to the screen, it's so easy to keep clean, and maintain the balance. My ABV is definitely dark, but that is because I stir a couple of times to fully extract.

Distance makes LB more user friendly for newbies, and that same level of heat will still be available. It just sits a couple of mm's away, ready to be pulled up. Makes it a bit easier to control with the breath.

Woke up sick. Damn, not gonna get much done today. My goal is to final assemble a few more units and move them via the Sweet Deals gallery. Assembly is an inside, sitting down job, so mostly likely I can get a couple done and posted.

Hello All,

Let me introduce myself. I'm Mike, founder of Vapwood
Mike I haven't given you a proper welcome to the Asylum. It's good to have you here. :smile: We're all about artisan vape manufacturers and accessory makers so you'll fit right in here. :thumbsup:

I took a look through your Sweet Deals gallery and can honestly say that I really like when you blend different woods together. My favorite is 128b:

cr=w-1600,h-1000,a-cc.jpeg

Hope you feel better soon.

Mea Culpa

I got my Alan from Toasty-Top glass-lined 4" roasting tubes about 10 days ago. They were both equipped with screens seated 1/2" into the tube and are the 'resting' spot for the glass tube to sit on.

And I have to admit that I thought that was the screen's only purpose; support for the glass. No way could the screen be effective 1/2" away from the coil. Hah.

After reading a @Mike Vapwood post on FC I finally got it and this morning I took out the 2nd screen I had been using at my usual depth and used the screen seated at a 1/2". Wow. That is how I will use the glass-lined tubes from now because it's way more manageable. Way better for daytime use for me for sure, and I can see how they're much easier on an inflamed throat and lungs.

This is the one I will hand newbies that want to self-regulate. It's hard to fuck up, but really easy to get right. And it's tasty, and almost as cool as going through water with my other vapes.

I'll still use the short tubes from time to time, especially at night, but now that I'm using the glass-lined tubes the way Alan designed them to be used I'm getting such great consistent results with no charring. Charring was something I had to really watch when I had the second screen seated close to the coil. Not anymore.

Mike, you're smart to offer the glass-lined stems through Vapwood.

I seem to have found the Goldilocks zone for screen placement regardless of the length of the tube; 5/8".

After tamping, a typical 'dose' is about 3/32" thick, maybe more maybe less. I've put in loads as thick as 3/16" for longer sessions. But for the most part my flower is a little less than 1/2" away from the end of the tube for all sessions.

And it truly doesn't matter which tube I use. Short original tube or the longest glass-lined tube both work perfectly. As you would imagine the sessions are different.

The short all wood tubes provide a warm, rich, thick vapor with a faint but pleasant roasted flavor. It is much hotter, and would wear my throat out if I used the short tube all day.

The glass-lined tubes provide a cooler, grassier flavor, and the vapor is still thick and potent. And the longer unlined roasting tubes provide cooler but toastier flavored vapor.

I can, and have, used the glass-lined tubes all day over a long day of vaping with no throat or lung irritation.

For me the last hurdle was finding the correct depth to place the OG screens. And 5/8" is it for my LB.

I've been using a glass-lined tube for a couple of weeks now. It has literally kicked every other vape I own to the curb since then. Great tasty thick clouds of very cool vapor. One of these cooling tubes and an LB Classic should be on every vaporist's Christmas list.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back