Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Meds Low Tolerance

Basement Farmer

No, not the bad kind that can shrivel your manhood but the good kind that can help keep your HOH from shriveling.

How do you all manage yours? Or do you not?

I find that growing my own leads to the win-lose dilemma of having a high T. I figs my consumption is a .5 g a day with maybe double that including edibles on my days off. Not sure if that's a lot or not...don't judge me...ha, ha. But eventually I'm going to get to the point where I need to be a little more discretionary......especially if I decide to purchase.

Any advice appreciated

Lol... I'm guessing the 'T' stands for tolerance? :biggrin:

My tolerance is through the roof. I've been using, daily, for more years than I can count. And switching over to, mostly, dabbing has added to that.

Interestingly.... I find I use more when I use herb from a 'provisioning center' (god I hate that term). Maybe because the potency isn't as strong as the herb I get from my caregiver? Or it's older and more dried out? Not sure...

What I do to lower my tolerance is switch up the vapes I use. If I'm dabbing exclusively, I change over to herb. I use the WS or a DV instead of my SSV. And find that that usually does the trick.

But right now? My supply is plentiful so I don't worry about it. If that were to change it would be a different story. Dispensaries charge a whole lot more than my caregiver does... and that would mandate the usage.

Yes Mom. I hate the way big-pharma stole the phrase and spun it as something negative.

glad that I'm not alone and that the struggle is indeed real.

I think if I had less access to flower I'd be more into concentrates and it would only be worse for me.

Doing W&B all day every day would probably be a good starting place to considering dialing it back a bit.

I have a naturally low tolerance whether it be to caffine, aspirin or THC. However I vape cannabis every day, several times a day and so my tolerance does cycle through an increase before I intentionally cut back again. I have access to an abundant amount of weed since I grow my own and it's legal here. However, I find that I enjoy the effects of vaping better when I am able to maintain a microdose and keep my tolerance low.

When I find that I'm vaping more with less effect I start to vape just a little bit less than last time, a little less, a little less. This helps me stay in a happy low tolerance zone.

But it's all relative to why you vape. Lately I've been vaping for the enjoyment of it. When I vape to help with pain or nausea or insomnia, all bets are off and I don't give my tolerance level a sideways glance. Once I am able to enjoy a good toke again just because I love it, I work at lowering my tolerance again.

I find that when comparing my tolerance with that other people's, that it's often an apples and oranges type scenario.

Generally I think I'm quite sensitive to cannabinoids. What would be a large dose for me, is just a starting point for some of my friends.

Dosage really depends on why I'm using, If I'm using for myalgia/nerve pain I don't need large doses 0.05g-0.08 once a day will do. If I'm struggling with sleep or headache then 0.1-0.2 as needed.

I take tea breaks whenever my health allows me.

Would my tolerance go up if I had an inexhaustible supply of medicine? Probably, but I don't think it would go much beyond double of what it is now.(he says tentatively)

@Basement Farmer
I think it is human nature to make hay while the sun shines, to use more when there is plenty, to slow down when it's cold, to cut back when times are lean.

The OP may find this search return interesting....this is Dr Sulak on managing tolerance.

I do try to manage it a bit. I just keep an eye on it and I do take short breaks now and again. I seem to be able to walk my tolerance down a bit just using smaller vapes....like VC...and vaping less for a few days.

Edibles jack my tolerance up almost immediately.

Last edited:
I find that when comparing my tolerance with that other people's, that it's often an apples and oranges type scenario.

Generally I think I'm quite sensitive to cannabinoids. What would be a large dose for me, is just a starting point for some of my friends.

Dosage really depends on why I'm using, If I'm using for myalgia/nerve pain I don't need large doses 0.05g-0.08 once a day will do. If I'm struggling with sleep or headache then 0.1-0.2 as needed.

I take tea breaks whenever my health allows me.

Would my tolerance go up if I had an inexhaustible supply of medicine? Probably, but I don't think it would go much beyond double of what it is now.(he says tentatively)

@Basement Farmer
I think it is human nature to make hay while the sun shines, to use more when there is plenty, to slow down when it's cold, to cut back when times are lean.
The OP may find this search return interesting....this is Dr Sulak on managing tolerance.

I do try to manage it a bit. I just keep an eye on it and I do take short breaks now and again. I seem to be able to walk my tolerance down a bit just using smaller vapes....like VC...and vaping less for a few days.

Edibles jack my tolerance up almost immediately.

Thanks guys. Yeah, one way or the other I think I need to learn a little self control.

I often find myself not really feeling much effect after a hard of vaping, so I think I'm going to start there. Baby steps, ya know.

After 2 weeks off at xmas vaping all day from morning, iv gone back to work and gym so now im not vaping till 8pm, and only 1 or 2 vapcaps..
Funny how easy it is to go without it after consuming so much.. just goes to prove cannabis is not addictive.. unless smoked with tobacco....

I gave up cannabis for almost 3 years..when I did it again those first couple of hits were glorious and very effective.
If it could just be like that every time. Guess it's what they used to call it chasing the dragon's tail?
I suspect much of my usage can be attributed to simple habitual use. The act of doing it is reward in of itself .

You just need to extend your growing season :smile:

Decided that today would be the day that I begin using in moderation.

I broke out my Vapmans because they are great for micro dosing.
I grew six lbs for $234 (seeds and inputs), outdoors. That suits me fine. I might start my seeds indoors sooner, but I already grow enough to where I am content. I admire people that grow indoors, I just am ready to take a break come October. With P.G.& E. randomly cutting off power for days, I think I'd be too stressed about power loss with indoor gardening.
I am on a T-break, but mostly because I developed pancreatitis as a complication from surgery, and have to be careful about what I eat while I recover. Munchies are my down fall.

I grew six lbs for $234 (seeds and inputs), outdoors. That suits me fine. I might start my seeds indoors sooner, but I already grow enough to where I am content. I admire people that grow indoors, I just am ready to take a break come October. With P.G.& E. randomly cutting off power for days, I think I'd be too stressed about power loss with indoor gardening.
I am on a T-break, but mostly because I developed pancreatitis as a complication from surgery, and have to be careful about what I eat while I recover. Munchies are my down fall.

Damn Gal, if I had 6 lbs. at the end of a season I would be consuming with reckless abandon.

Take care of yourself.

Has anyone tried cutting their cannabis tolerance for THC by just using CBD for a few days?

I have cut edible/capsule tolerance before by just vaping (no edible cannabis in any form) for a few days.

That's a reallygood idea.

I used kratom to help give it up completely a few years ago. The stuff is nasty, but I really didn't have the habitual craving for THC that I had expected. I was a heavy user too. Maybe anecdotal, but it did happen all the same.

Damn Gal, if I had 6 lbs. at the end of a season I would be consuming with reckless abandon.

Take care of yourself.

That's a reallygood idea.

I used kratom to help give it up completely a few years ago. The stuff is nasty, but I really didn't have the habitual craving for THC that I had expected. I was a heavy user too. Maybe anecdotal, but it did happen all the same.
Reckless abandon sounds good, especially as I'm still on a T- break. I do give quite a bit away to friends that can't grow. I figure it's like tomatoes. Only so much you can use, then it's next year.

Reckless abandon sounds good, especially as I'm still on a T- break. I do give quite a bit away to friends that can't grow. I figure it's like tomatoes. Only so much you can use, then it's next year.

Yearly consumption? hmmmm

8 years ago I went a year without growing. I went through one pound. I was smoking joints then, but my wife hardly ever indulged. No concentrates and a few medibles. Now we both vape and she goes through much more than me, lol. And now with the rosin, and medibles only black Jesus knows what our yearly consumption is. Safe to say its over a pound. Just herb though, since vaping so so much more efficient, even though its two of us, id say yearly consumption is roughly the same. But I use a fair amount of rosin, and we both take more medibles.

Yearly consumption? hmmmm

8 years ago I went a year without growing. I went through one pound. I was smoking joints then, but my wife hardly ever indulged. No concentrates and a few medibles. Now we both vape and she goes through much more than me, lol. And now with the rosin, and medibles only black Jesus knows what our yearly consumption is. Safe to say its over a pound. Just herb though, since vaping so so much more efficient, even though its two of us, id say yearly consumption is roughly the same. But I use a fair amount of rosin, and we both take more medibles.
A pound lasts me approx 4 months using rosin and feco too
I have had a break a couple times over the years and I also have consumed but less heavy
But I go through about an oz a week by myself - some of that oz is turned into rosin, and feco is made from pucks/avb

Here's an article thats speaks to high tolerance.....

Don’t Knock a Strong Cannabis Tolerance, It Could Help You Heal

Cannabis tolerance — the gradual acclimation to the sensory impacts of use — is usually framed in a negative light; something to be avoided or remedied. But being able to handle larger doses of cannabinoids can actually mean increased medical benefits.

Cannabis has a bad reputation when it comes to building up a tolerance. Countless articles describe the problem: you start using cannabis and it works great, but after a few weeks you find you need more. You increase your dose, only to soon find that this new dose is also insufficient — it just doesn’t get you ‘high’ the same way.

The prescription for this problem is usually to go on a tolerance break, a few weeks where you stop using cannabis and let your system reset. When you go back to using cannabis again, your tolerance will be back down to where you started. The message being communicated is clear: tolerance isn’t something you want to have.

But developing a cannabis tolerance isn’t all bad. For many, especially medical patients, it is a crucial factor in their cannabis use. Many medical patients starting cannabis worry about side effects like difficulty thinking, problems with memory or lack of coordination.

One of the great benefits of developing a tolerance to cannabis is that many of these side effects go away: Studies show chronic cannabis users do not suffer from the same disorienting effects that leave occasional users unable to do everyday tasks, such as driving).

I saw this firsthand as a cannabis patient. For me, cannabis was always disorienting. It wasn’t a bad thing, but it did make it impossible to get much done while under the influence.
I remember marvelling at a close friend and classmate who could smoke throughout the day while remaining completely normal. He would go to class, have complex conversations about analytic philosophy, work on his doctorate — all while using cannabis.

When I asked him about it he explained that he had a high tolerance. He was just used it.

At that time, I was dealing with intense chronic pain and missing a lot of school and work due to these struggles. Cannabis helped, but I was only using it at night when I didn’t have any work to do. It was like a time-out from the pain, but it didn’t help me with the real problem — my inability to work when I was in pain.

My friend suggested something that ran counter to everything I had read — I should build up my tolerance.

“Smoke right before you write that paper” he suggested. “It will be weird for a few days, but then you’ll be used to it”.

Time to build up a cannabis tolerance
To my surprise, he was right. Within a week of starting to use cannabis during my regular work and school activities, I was no longer feeling the disorienting side effects. I was free. While I still had relief from my pain and anxiety, I was thinking clearly and felt… normal.

While I worried my cannabis tolerance building would lead to continual increases in use, at a certain point my tolerance increases seemed to plateau: I have been on a relatively stable dose for the last five years. If I use the same strain of cannabis for too long, I develop a tolerance to that strain and need to switch it up to keep getting relief. Otherwise, I haven’t experienced any tolerance-related problems and always avoid taking tolerance breaks now.

While tolerance breaks are fantastic for recreational users or those with occasional medical needs, I never suggest them for medical patients who have chronic issues they are managing. Just like you would be unlikely to have a doctor suggest you take a few weeks off from an antidepressant or a heart medication if you are using cannabis for daily medical needs, interrupting this can be disruptive and confusing for your body. And of course, any symptoms you were managing will no longer be getting the help they need.

Still, last summer, I was forced to take a tolerance break: I got a lung infection (unrelated to the cannabis) which was aggravated by smoke, so I spent months unable to use my medicine.

When I started to smoke again a few months later, my cannabis tolerance was back at its starting point and I experienced tolerance free cannabis use again. I was totally useless! So, I spent the next few weeks building my tolerance back up. Only then was I able to again use cannabis effectively as medicine.

I thought I might be able to use a lower dose after such a long break, but I quickly found myself back at that stable dose I had been using for years. For all the discomfort of the break, it turned out that I did best on the dose I had already been on.

While tolerance breaks are great for some (and there are certainly medical and recreational users alike who swear by them), for others developing and keeping a certain level of tolerance may be the better route. This can vary drastically from person to person based on their needs and biochemistry.

As a patient consultant, I often work with clients to track their cannabis experiences in a journal. Looking back over a few weeks of entries, many of them are able to better understand what is working for them and what isn’t.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back