Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Safety Materials Safety Description

herbivore21

Greetings,

I am Herbivore21. Some of you will know of me already, I've had a wonderful time getting to know this community over the years. For those who do not know me, my expertise lies in the sciences, extraction, engineering and technical considerations. The powers that be in this place kindly offered me the opportunity to be a curator of sorts for this site, to help guide users through the complicated and often confusing world of materials safety. I am a professional research scientist with past engineering and technical expertise and I hope to bring my experience to the table to help you guys however possible. I will place reciprocal links to the various parts of the Asylum where I offer assistance as they go live :D

Now that introductions are out of the way, let's get down to what this section is about.

This is a section for materials safety related posts of a general nature (not relating to one specific vaporizer, those should go in the vaporizer safety section).

It is important to know about any safety concerns when you are purchasing a device or accessory to medicate with.

I am not the only one who will be assisting as we try to figure out what is safe and what is not, of course. Many of you have valuable information to contribute, and I encourage each of you to share and join the discussion!

Now that we've covered the important stuff.

This explainer post will be edited with some further information as this new community takes shape, so please check back. Feel free to start creating or contributing to threads on your current general materials safety concerns!

I look forward to shooting the shit with all of you about my favorite topics as this community gets started. Keep an eye out for me in my other haunts and also just floating around the forums.

Cheers,

Herbivore21

Here is a short list of materials and a few off questions to get this thread warmed up. :biggrin:

Ok some portables vaporizers use some form of ceramics that get used. Like my Flowermate and my CFX. There is different types to differ from as far as hardness I'm guessing. How safe is the material heat up to compared to say glass?

I own a UD. Any thoughts about wood? Types of wood. Breathing in and tasting wood. Is that a concern? Even cold air dragging over wood then the warm vapor?

Stainless Steel - SS. SS is great for cooking, but I read there are general two 'types' of foodsafe SS or something for cookware. something about nickel content or being austenitic ,etc. So is there a standard SS for vaporizers? It it O.K to treat them like cookware and consider scouring off a thin layer when needed? Anything related to this material. Oh and SS screens. TX

Here is a short list of materials and a few off questions to get this thread warmed up. :biggrin:

Ok some portables vaporizers use some form of ceramics that get used. Like my Flowermate and my CFX. There is different types to differ from as far as hardness I'm guessing. How safe is the material heat up to compared to say glass?

I own a UD. Any thoughts about wood? Types of wood. Breathing in and tasting wood. Is that a concern? Even cold air dragging over wood then the warm vapor?

Stainless Steel - SS. SS is great for cooking, but I read there are general two 'types' of foodsafe SS or something for cookware. something about nickel content or being austenitic ,etc. So is there a standard SS for vaporizers? It it O.K to treat them like cookware and consider scouring off a thin layer when needed? Anything related to this material. Oh and SS screens. TX
Oh shit sorry I only noticed this now bro, I'll get back to you soon by editing this post so please keep watch :peace:

Will do. These are broad questions on materials of SS, Ceramics and wood. And perhaps several tangents for each one.

There is a Dynacap that is all machined SS. I'm now thinking about things like hardness and screw threads. Oh and titanium is a material I'm getting to know.

There is titanium camping stoves and cookware. Will revisit at least the food safety of that lightweight martial.

Ceramics vary considerably between different designs. They can be porous, or glazed/vitreous/polished/smooth/not porous (here, have some synonyms lol!). Obviously, a glazed ceramic is not all that dissimilar from a glass in that there is a non-porous outer surface and unless there is cracking/breakage, things are safe. The danger with most such ceramics used in vaporizers is only going to be if it is broken. Porous ceramics are a different ball park and I do not like to use porous ceramic products generally.

Typically, grades of stainless steel used for vaporizers are the same as those used in medical applications, such as surgery. One such common grade is 316L. It is a good idea to find out which grade of stainless is used in a product that you own, but typically I find vape manufacturers do well most of the time to choose appropriate grades. I would not be using a scourer and scraping layers off of stainless in a vapor path. This is because if you loosen any shreds or burrs of stainless steel off the surface, you may inhale them and risk injury. Ideally, do not scrape stainless that you breathe off of in any way.

I avoid wood universally in air/vapor paths. As you say, wood imparts a taste even when one is not inhaling vapor through it. Wood is not at all inert, obviously. Your vapor tastes like wood, and over time, your wood tastes like vapor as well! Wood swells with oils and resins over time and to fully clean the wood requires refinishing/treatment of the wood. This is not necessarily a safety concern in all cases, and some of our resident wood people can help here. My decision to avoid wood completely is because it interferes with the flavor and gets filthy without much use :peace:

Hopefully this helps to give a starting overview of these materials from my own point of view!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back