Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Mold

Guess you told her to get on her bike :rofl2:
No, I just wasn't specific when I said "Bring equipment if you got any, girl!"

She was getting all cocky about having so many legs.

I didn't have a vial to blast her with bright light, but...I did my best.

She really *shouldn't* have taken any pics of the unholy results, though. But...oh yeah I did sign something about video rights - for my life there at the end, so...

:goofy:

EDIT: Okay, back on topic - I go with my nose and a hygrometer, and never try to moderate the cure or the RH with any humidity pack like a Boveda. And since then? Not a single problem.

and never try to moderate the cure or the RH with any humidity pack like a Boveda.
Boveda specifically states that their product is not for use during the cure. Its a long term storage aid. I use the big 62% packs in half gallon Mason jars and it keeps my flowers in tip top shape.

I tried to teach someone how to grow...
And failed, he was too lazy and arrogant...

Anyway after his harvest, against my advice, he just chucked all his fresh flower in jars with boveda, and he was done... only opeing to take herb...

To my amazement, it didn't have any sign of mold, but after 3 months his flowers smelt awfull... he locked that freah taste into it...
Ruined...

But just goes to show how good boveda are at providing a mold free environment...

A couple of articles to help @Kellya86 make his point and to show that vaping mold and fungi can be toxic.

Researchers at UC Davis identified potentially lethal bacteria and mold on cannabis samples from 20 Northern California dispensaries

Mold and bacteria on marijuana a risk to some patients, say researchers

http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/02/08/marijuana-mold-bacteria-california/73294/

Is your medical marijuana safe? UC Davis doctors say dangerous bacteria, fungi can lurk in pot

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/health-and-medicine/article131391629.html

In uneasy news for medical marijuana users, UC Davis researchers have identified potentially lethal bacteria and mold on samples from 20 Northern California pot growers and dispensaries, leading the doctors to warn patients with weakened immune systems to avoid smoking, vaping or inhaling aerosolized cannabis.

A couple of articles to help @Kellya86 make his point and to show that vaping mold and fungi can be toxic.

Researchers at UC Davis identified potentially lethal bacteria and mold on cannabis samples from 20 Northern California dispensaries

Mold and bacteria on marijuana a risk to some patients, say researchers

http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/02/08/marijuana-mold-bacteria-california/73294/

Is your medical marijuana safe? UC Davis doctors say dangerous bacteria, fungi can lurk in pot

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/health-and-medicine/article131391629.html

In uneasy news for medical marijuana users, UC Davis researchers have identified potentially lethal bacteria and mold on samples from 20 Northern California pot growers and dispensaries, leading the doctors to warn patients with weakened immune systems to avoid smoking, vaping or inhaling aerosolized cannabis.
Thanks for sharing this. :D

In the end, we will have a section to share studies like this over in the Research Labs (IIRC, @momofthegoons can clarify for us if we can do this still). I will make sure to share some scholarly studies on mold as well as cover some more in-depth discussion on the molds that can effect cannabis and which are dangerous here when I get a moment :)

One thing I'll point out is that the most common mold found on cannabis, Botrytis Cinerea (aka bud rot, gray mold etc), is not a mold that carries aflatoxins or anything else harmful. It is a mold that will cause the resin on your flower to rot though, so if you want your flower to actually produce the desired effect, we still should prevent even these safest of molds.

In fact, botrytis cinerea is deliberately exposed to wine grapes in dry conditions to produce what is called 'noble rot', which produces a sweeter taste in the grape sought after for dessert wines!

But before you guys buy a bunch of 49% boveda packs and start giving your nugs mold; no, this will not make them sweeter :rofl:

Last edited:
botrytis cinerea is deliberately exposed to wine grapes in dry conditions to produce what is called 'noble rot', which produces a sweeter taste in the grape sought after for dessert wines!

Yes, and they are magnificent. Not an Eiswein, but a Napa area dry berry Riesling and it was out of sight!

My experiment is on hold until I return from the US of a....

Just don't have the time to do it...

After I dried it down to around 60% RH, I jarred it with a 62% bodeva pack.

Then every week for a couple of months or so I opened the jars, dumped out the flowers and let them sit for 10 minutes or so before re-jarring with a bodeva pack. Now, just lately I'm noticing that the RH has creeped up. ?????

Maybe, I need to dump them out and let them dry for a half hour and re- jar again. :idon'tknow:

I am unsure about the benefit of taking everything out and in but if you do it pay attention to RH of your place: depending on season and the region you are living in, it can be way more than 62%. Also temperature differentials can play a role: if your storage is colder than the place you use to take your herbs out, yet again you are adding little moist by condensation twice.

I'm gonna get this going soon...
Just need to figure out a reasonably priced way taking good close up pics.....

I'm gonna get this going soon...
Just need to figure out a reasonably priced way taking good close up pics.....
Look for an entry level digital microscope brother, you'll get serviceable pics that way for our purposes. Try to get something that has 300x zoom or more :peace:

Moldy Weed: How To Avoid It And What To Do If You Find It

You’ve probably encountered mold at some point in your life. Old strawberries in your refrigerator, the bread heels in your pantry, your college bathroom that you routinely cleaned only after letters from the health department. There’s no doubt about it – mold is all around us. Under good circumstances, mold is little more than an inconvenience or a waste of food. But when it comes to smoking, moldy weed can be dangerous.

What Mold Looks Like

moldybud_8406-1024x755.jpg
Save
You can’t always tell you have moldy weed without the help of a black light or a lens, but here are some tips to help you tell if your weed is moldy:

• Dark spots or spores
  • White, grey, yellow, or brown fuzz
  • White, grey, or black web-like material.
  • Musty, urine or sweat-like smell
  • Discolored roots
Why Mold is Bad
Mold isn’t exactly a houseguest you invite over with promises of home cooked meals and superfast Wi-Fi. While some molds are harmless, other types are dangerous. If left alone in a residence, it’s possible for the more troublesome types to cause a respiratory response in those who live there. Symptoms include sneezing, coughing, and sore throat that persists even after a tumbler of Nyquil.

Moldy weed is also dangerous for pot smokers.

Sometimes, people mistake rotten weed for weed that’s laced with other drugs, such as opium

They may experience headaches, vomiting, trouble breathing, diarrhea, and heart palpitations. Pneumonia is also a possibility.

The Causes of Mold
The number one thing conducive to moldy weed is moisture: this is why you’re more likely to find it in your shower than in your wine cellar. A lack of air circulation also helps it thrive, as spores multiply under tight conditions. In grow rooms, fans mitigate this type of welcoming environment, leaving mold less likely to move in and get comfortable. But that doesn’t make your plants immune entirely.

Temperature is important too, as mold can’t flourish in cold conditions (under 40 degrees) or those that are extremely hot (over 100 degrees)

Pot shops in dry climates are typically less affected than those located in areas wet and humid: you might be Sleepless in Seattle because you’ve been up all night drying off your herb.
shutterstock_538934557.jpg

Like us, mold needs food and oxygen in order to survive. It decomposes things such as gypsum board and oak and feeds on those nutrients. While it can’t grow on inorganic material – concrete, for example – it feeds on the dirt and dust concrete harbors. And, of course, it feeds on your marijuana plants. Belly up to the bar, weed is among its favorite meals.

How to Keep Mold Away from Your Plants
The best way to keep mold away from your plants is to understand why it happens in the first place. Is the moisture too high during the drying process? Do you use fruit peels to add flavor to your buds, inadvertently introducing them to fungus? Do you store wet plants in airtight containers?

One way to avoid mold is to purchase plants with an increased resistance. Some of the hardiest strains include satori, pineapple express, hashberry, and cannatonic.

Still, as many of us know, genetics aren’t the end all be all. Care, environment, and sheer luck – for humans and plants – are other pieces of the puzzle.

Well-spread-out-marijuana-plants-1.jpg
Save
A few recommendations on how to avoid mold include buying strains suitable for your region (for outdoor growth, climate is most important), learning the details of the strain (both minor and major), refraining from planting strains that are risky (mold is very contagious), experimenting with new strains in small quantities, and saving cuttings to use as backups for future mother plants (just in case).

You should also grow in an area where your plants will feel a breeze through their leaves, but not so much that they become overwhelmed by wind. Rain is another concern: protect your pot from pours with an overhead tarp (not one placed directly on top of the flowers). If you live an area where dew is common each morning, give your plants a good shake.

When Mold Happens
Cannabis infected mold should be disposed of immediately, not only for human health but also to stop it from spreading to nearby plants. Some people have a harder time than others parting with their buds, mold be damned. But, particularly for those growing commercially, it’s not worth the risk. Plus, smoking moldy weed is sort of akin to Seinfeld’s George Costanza pulling that éclair out of the trash when he thinks no one is looking. Take a lesson from him in regards to fungus-filled hemp: someone’s always bound to notice.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back