Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy Nerd Culture - Comics & Films & Games & Cosplay & Collectibles & All Things Camp!

istockphoto-146910879-612x612.jpg

Its a bit bubble gummy since my foot injury but some incline on the treadmill should have me at mooning garden Gnome

Mythology is something I'm generally interested in.

It started when I was in jail. And the selection of books is mostly Dan Brown, Robert Ludlum, Frank Herbert. Yes, Herbert. That's where I read all the original Dune novels.

So one day they bring in a cart of books that had been in the sludge of the scums of the detritus of the back corner of the sub-basement and there was a collection of Greek mythology. And I became obsessed with the story of Medea. You know ... the woman who killed some of her children for revenge? The different versions of the story make this debatable, but in any case, Medea was fucked up in the head.

So while I'm reading this collection, the guard whom was liked by everyone because he gave anyone as much respect as he was given, saw me reading Greek mythology. An interest of his.

After he had done his rounds, he went back to Dante's 9th circle of Hell's Easy Bake Oven and returned with a copy of Edith Hamilton's mythology collection and explanations. I became obsessed with these stories and they contiue to get me through some rough times.

It meant the world to me at the time that anyone gave one bloody diarreah shit about me because no one else did at the time. But he was a kind man who read every shred of information on any prisoner he was responsible for and he knew the bad seeds from the troublemakers from the bad-luckers from the boys poisoned by sadness.

So ... the book changed my life. I was let out of jail rather early due to overcrowding and I never got the chance to speak to him again.

There is this general rule that a person is not to ever talk to a jail officer for at least two years after being released, and preferably never.

I saw him about a year after I got out at a thrift store and started to walk toward him to say hi. He immediately gave me the no-go sign and he walked out.

I find it depressing that I will never be able to tell him how much his kindness and understanding kept me alive during a dark time.

So ... Sierra wanted to watch the Zack Snyder cut of Justice League. I told her it's 4 hours long. She decides to play hostess with the mostess again and invites "the girls" over so they can make a day of it. Kinda dark and rainy here today so a good time for staying in.

So the cats ... they all act like they're princes and eat up all the attention. And Rocket the Racoon even made an appearance and put on a little show for them. He was the star today. All he had to do was lay there and open his eyes once in a while and the ladies were swooning over him.

Now, I played bartender. I've been a bartender before and I'm not terrible at it. But I didn't have much to work with because Sierra "planned" this at the last minute. So, I told them all, look, you can have a Moscow Mule, a Kentucky Mule, or a vodka margarita.

Surprisingly, most went with the Kentucky Mule. I think because they didn't know what it was. It's just a Moscow Mule with bourbon instead of vodka. So bourbon, ginger ale or ginger beer, a little mint and lime. Boom. Done. Next.

And, like any good bartender, I saw when they had reached their limit. So I brought them in a big ass pitcher of "vodka ice water" and watched them gulp it down. Yeah. There was no vodka in that water lol.

They are currently on hour 3 downstairs and eating pizza I drove and picked up for them. My thank you? "What took you so long?" For fuck's sake.

ANYWAY ... Snyder's cut of Justice league is 4 hours long, so yes, a bit bloated and self-indulgent. It's also incredible, at times, and redeems Leto's Joker, and is clearly Synder's last gasp of a DCEU project so he put everything he could into this movie.

I don't mind 4 hours. Hell, people will watch an entire season of Game of Thrones in a day - that's about 10 hours.

If you don't know, Snyder's daughter took her own life when nearing the completion of the film. That coupled with WB not being happy with his work, led to him walking away / getting fired.

The campaign to get the Snyder cut released, not only got it released, but also raised half a million dollars for suicide prevention programs.

I can't believe I was this guy ... for over a decade.

I also can't believe I had to drive Sierra home at 6 pm. Watch her sleep for two hours. And then?

"I want to read Flashpoint."

"What? You don't even know what that is. You have about 100 more Spawn comics to read, who knows how many Hellboys, and you've got Alita, plus the Silver Age collection of Joker, and Ninja Turtles, and The Crow, and more Dune. And you want to what?"

"I want to read Flashpoint."

"Can you even see right now? How stoned are you? "

"I'll see fine."

"You know, if you hadn't shown me your Poison Ivy costume for tomorrow, you'd be in such trouble."

" ... So ... where's Flashpoint? And I think I need a grilled cheese. And that blood orange raspberry juice."

The things I do for her.

Well, I knew it was going to happen. Sierra et all are way fucking late to The Walking Dead Party. And then they got to the Negan introduction episode. Complete silence. Not a word.

The Walking Dead is not my favoirite comic, but it's what I've read the most from. I've read all 16 years. Even the one-offs.

It basically comes down to Negan. I always love the villains more. Ever since I was 9 and saw Burton's Batman movie with The Joker.

Negan's character is a handful.

In the comics, he's even darker. So we'll leave that alone. Jeffrey Morgan's version of him is more likable. Because Jeffrey's natural charisma makes you want to like him. His looks, his control, his costume, his dominance, the whole production.

This is why I have gone out as Negan for the last several Halloweens.

I wouldn't call him evil. I would say he's been dealt a hand of cards and has to work with it. In a zombie apocalypse, there's not a whole lot of room for pragmatism.

Also, you get to see Lucille in this scene. Lucille is a barb wire bat Negan has named after his dead wife who died at the beginning of the apocalypse and comics and he never got over it. A rather beautiful piece. He uses it to remember her.

If you watch the show and are a fan of Negan but wonder if he's too dark ... try reading the comics. You'll be shaking by the end.

The Walking Dead is a show that suffers from being on basic cable. IT IS DARK AS FUCK. If HBO or Showtime or whatever the hell woulve have had the balls to greenlight it, it would be incredibly better. But they passed on it. Like they passed on Breaking Bad, one of the most crazy popular shows ever. Fucking morons. Two of the most popular show of all time and they thought it was too dark. Idiots.

So Negan gets introduced in #100 issue of Dead. The author, Robert Kirkman, says he did it because when you've read a hundred issues of something, maybe it's time to stop. So he brought in Negan to give the audience something new.

And if you're a fan of the show, and think The Governor is a dark character? Yeah, there's that scene where he sits back and looks at his wall of zombie heads in aquariums, still alive, and smiles. That is straight out of the comics.

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about the show. Sometimes, it's brilliant, sometimes it's dog shit.

But they definitely got this one right. This is the episode that got Sierra and her friends to go silent as fuck.

I would put this in the top 10 of any TV show. Right up there with The Twilight Zone To Serve Man or The Outer Limits Solider, or The X-Files Jose Chung's From Outer Space or Star Trek The City On The Edge of Forever or whatever the fuck else.

So, Sierra and her girl pals are continuing on their Walking Dead path. They are hardcore about it at this point.

Oh, 1 guy with 6 girls in their college age years? That sounds like heaven to every hetero guy. No, it's really not.

Constant demands to make them drinks. Constant demands to make them food. All of them wanting slightly different ingredients and cooking methods. Like I'm their goddamn mother back in the kitchen. All of them laughing any time I enter the room and refusing to tell me what they're laughing about. I'm basically an unpaid babysitter at this point.

That fantasy ... is gone.

And all of them are sleeping over! That must be crazy hot, right? No. It means giggling until about 4 am and by the time Sierra comes to bed, she'll pass out immediately and then no "sexy time."

And it means cooking breakfast for everyone in the morning. And, as it goes with women, a whole lot of special requests and requirements and demands. And no thank you.

And I don't even get to enjoy the view! They all have blankets wrapped around themselves.

What I do get is a lot of jokes about everything about me ever ytime I'm nearby.

ANYWAY.

When I saw they had got to this episode, I knew what was going to happen. And it did. All of them had their eyes wide open, and their hands over their mouths. They couldn't believe someone other than Negan was using Lucille.

* Sidenote. Sierra is not allowed, because of security reasons, to be in a room without our Lucille. I don't know what it is about a simple baseball bat wrapped in barb wire, but when you see that shit, you don't fuck with it. She's become quite good with her.

I gotta admit ... I would definitely watch this guy's version of Star Trek. Closely.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back