Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tips new to concentrates - need guidance for proper rig

jeffp

Recently my favorite undocumented pharmacist convinced me to try a gram of Supreme live resin - gorilla glue. We vaped it in my silver surfer mixed with flower and the effect was noticeably more intense. I then, with a minimal amount of searching, bought the Atmos Greedy concentrate adapter. I paired it with an Eleaf iStick tc-100w running it about 18-20 watts. When it works it's phenomenal, a total game changer. But just as often it doesn't fire at all and I've replaced the atomizer coil a few times, but not sure if the attys are fried or not because it may be an issue with the battery. So clearly adjustments must be made.

I'm not locked in to the Greedy, or anything. What would you do if you were me? A new concentrate adapter and battery, or a totally different setup? Portables are great because it's small and tidy but it's all for home use so I don't really care one way or the other, I just would like to buy a setup that's reliable and high quality. Thanks alot!

You've got a plethora of options @jeffp .....

For one, since you already have a SSV, you could buy a dab dish for it... It would be a cheap fix for now... until you figure out whether or not to invest in an e-nail (my preference) or another type of unit (Ditanium, NewVape set up, etc). There are also a bunch of portables. But I still prefer an enail over anything out there. And I also use at home; for the most part. It gives you complete and precise temperature control. What I would not do is go the torch and banger route. Way too easy to 'over cook' your rosin and wreck your hit.

Recently my favorite undocumented pharmacist convinced me to try a gram of Supreme live resin - gorilla glue. We vaped it in my silver surfer mixed with flower and the effect was noticeably more intense. I then, with a minimal amount of searching, bought the Atmos Greedy concentrate adapter. I paired it with an Eleaf iStick tc-100w running it about 18-20 watts. When it works it's phenomenal, a total game changer. But just as often it doesn't fire at all and I've replaced the atomizer coil a few times, but not sure if the attys are fried or not because it may be an issue with the battery. So clearly adjustments must be made.

I'm not locked in to the Greedy, or anything. What would you do if you were me? A new concentrate adapter and battery, or a totally different setup? Portables are great because it's small and tidy but it's all for home use so I don't really care one way or the other, I just would like to buy a setup that's reliable and high quality. Thanks alot!

@momofthegoons gave you pretty much gave the answer I would have. Ill just add be careful of homemade solvent extracts from an undocumented pharmacist because improperly purged solvent extracts aren't good for you. For homemade extracts rosin is king, well rosin and hash. Rosin or hash have no solvents to purge and all the terpenes are still intact so the flavor is usually much better than of solvent extracts.

Just my 2 cents and apologies to your herbal consultant., err pharmacist.

thank you both very much for the suggestion. it's a good, simple solution and it will be nice not to have to worry about frying atomizers, etc. Shredder - i believe that the live resin i'm getting is a legit dispensary product because of the packaging but who knows? Thanks for the overview of the purity of concentrates; I can see a rosin press in my future. Mom - the dab dish is my next purchase! thank you so much.

dab dish ordered along with hosing and titanium pick with a 10 percent coupon discount.
my guess is that my undocumented pharmacist will approve - he himself wants a SSV and our mutual friend Eddie (both live in the building across the street) has one that's not currently being used but he won't part with it but I digress...
seriously my SSV is the old "standard" model. will the dab dish fit the standard heater cover?
thanks again..

Hi Mom - I was hoping to say everything is great and it will be but not yet. the adapter doesn't quite fit right and with the dish connected it's wobbly and very little vapor is inhaled. played around with it, adjusting the height of the heater,etc., but no dice. ultimately the adapter came out of the unit attached like glue to the dish from the adhesive quality of the concentrate. so... if i can find some 99 percent ISO, which is hard to find now, i'll let the adapter/dish soak to separate and from there contact 7th floor. I'd actually like to send the SSV with the adapter back to them to ensure a proper fit, which is fine, but I'm self isolating now in NYC so waiting on line at the post office will be for another day. It's going to be good, just not yet...

Thanks, I know - the company has always been outstanding with customer service. Thanks for the ISO link - around me it's a dollar store item but these are urgent dab rig times...Soon enough I'll have the dab dish adapter seated properly, it might just require a phone call to Elev8 for guidance - but if you were going to suggest a relatively inexpensive enail route, what would you recommend?

I would get an enail or QB if you can afford it

For portable on the modbox ve10 carts from airistech are good for feco and oils or Hermes 3 from Linx

Rosin is great on the enail or QB

Many options but sometimes it can be best to get the good option at the start
May cost more but saves in long run via efficiency and instead of buying multiple items as most of us seem to tend to keep upgrading our rigs anyway

Halo sic is the goods
QB and torch or coil is great too if have less money

Any vape you own can be used like you have been in the meantime though by sandwiching trates in between weed

If you have any questions or are looking at any units feel free to ask for advice or opinions

but if you were going to suggest a relatively inexpensive enail route, what would you recommend?
There are quite a few 'cheapo' units out there.... but I know you are going to love an enail once you try it. @felvapes has a good point in it's a good idea not to go too cheap... you sort of get what you pay for.

@Baron23 made a post somewhere.... and perhaps he could chime in here... about a set up with an Auber PID that was less money than the D-nail set up. I'll see if I can find the post but hopefully he will respond first.

The DHgate quartz dish enails are actually quite good
Very cheap in comparison to dnail and rather impressed me next to my halo sic
Paired with an auber pid and you would have an affordable unit that I'd be happy to use

Thanks, I know - the company has always been outstanding with customer service. Thanks for the ISO link - around me it's a dollar store item but these are urgent dab rig times...Soon enough I'll have the dab dish adapter seated properly, it might just require a phone call to Elev8 for guidance - but if you were going to suggest a relatively inexpensive enail route, what would you recommend?
There are quite a few 'cheapo' units out there.... but I know you are going to love an enail once you try it. @felvapes has a good point in it's a good idea not to go too cheap... you sort of get what you pay for.

@Baron23 made a post somewhere.... and perhaps he could chime in here... about a set up with an Auber PID that was less money than the D-nail set up. I'll see if I can find the post but hopefully he will respond first.
Hi Jeff - so, their is family friendly budget stuff and then there is just cheap shit. Let's stay away from the cheap shit.

Go to 710coils.com and look at these products. His bangers are, IMO, the equal of USA made bangers that go for 3 to 4 times as much. His bangers are built for him to his specifications. I run one, Mom runs one, I even got Bud at VLF to run one now.

1. I suggest a 25mm banger...he makes 30mm but as a new guy to 'trates I don't think you are doing massive glob dabs and I find the 25mm more than adequate
Get it with a 14mm ground glass joint (and not 10mm, IMO)
1584657966214.png

$45

2. Get the coil clip set to hold your coil on the banger...way better than bailing wire many use.
1584658014206.png

$5

3. You can get carb caps anywhere, but while buying from Shane, he has some nice ones for a reasonable price. IMO, you want this style of cap...a bubble cap.
1584658119018.png

$35

4. You can get a coil from Auber a little bit cheaper than from Shane (710coils) when you buy the controller from them, but he has axial coils (which I recommend) and they are the finest quality of any coils I have seen or handled including from D-nail much less DHGate. In the comment section of your order, ask Shane to fit it for you. He does this almost routinely, but it helps to ask nicely, right?
1584658271176.png

$65

5. Get an Auber RDK-300 PID controller. I'm not going to expound too much on its advantages but its priced well for a very high quality device and Auber is located in Georgia and when you call tech support you can actually understand them. They are mostly an industrial instrument company...and I bet the CS agents are just ever so happy to get calls from out to lunch stoners! haha But, they do answer and they do have USA based support and their documentation is well beyond what I have seen with other cheaper, Chinese controllers.
1584658540367.png

$119

6. Get a dab tool...just anything non-toxic that you can use to put the dab in the banger. A very small screw driver would work but I suggest pencil dabbers...they are glass dab tools in the shape of a pencil...as I find they work well with quartz bangers (and I believe that @momofthegoons went in this direction also). Tons of them out there, just google dab tool.

7. Now you need a glass rig to put all of this through. Its worth considering DHGate glass which is ordered from China which may be totally verklempt at the moment. There are buyer protections there but still....its a bit nerve racking and can take weeks to get your glass and if there is a problem (like its broken) its another hassle. I have bought from DHGate and had no issues. But I suggest that you buy your glass from a USA retailer who sells Chinese glass (USA glass will generally cost a lot more). You will pay somewhat more but these businesses have laid out their money to stock the product and deserve some amount of profit for that effort and the convenience of buying from a USA company.

This from Thick Ass Glass (TAG) will do nicely and its very reasonably priced:
1584659083910.png

$55....hard to find it cheaper, easy to spend a LOT more.

So right now you are looking at $325 for a very good, but certainly not gold plated or too costly, full function dab rig.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Last edited:
The DHgate quartz dish enails are actually quite good
Very cheap in comparison to dnail and rather impressed me next to my halo sic
Paired with an auber pid and you would have an affordable unit that I'd be happy to use

could you could, if you can, provide links? thanks!

So right now you are looking at $325 for a very good, but certainly not gold plated or too costly, full function dab rig.

Hope this is helpful to you.

wow thanks!

i'll digest all of this, and thanks for these suggestions, i would have never put this together on my own at this stage.

Something like the above is what I am talking about
I have just the quartz fish and use on my dnail occasionally
But I believe it should work pretty much as well on these Ti nails if the budget is lower

I do have 710 coils QBs but I don't use them much if at all anymore
My halo sic gets more use or if I want quartz I use the above dish

QBs are good and work though as a start point, but long term I no longer use

I buy my glass dab rigs from DHgate
Cheap and very functional

You can also buy the quartz dish and Ti nail from DHgate with a pid controller for a lot less cash

I have not had experience with the gate pids and I use an auber 300 as posted above
However I know @LesPlenty has one and it worked well for him - only issue he had was the wiring was different when he bought a dnail and it needed re wiring
It worked fine with the coils it came with though

For more Universal use in case you upgrade in the future it may be good to buy a coil from 710 the single Ti nail and quartz dish from dhgate and an Auber 300 plus a glass dab rig from the gate with a drop down piece

Good luck making a decision and in getting an upgraded dab setup
You will love your trates so much more on a setup like any of the above suggestions people have given

i just want to say thanks for the very detailed suggestions; it's a lot to digest and study. I'll have questions along the way, most likely. $300 is fine for a decent setup and as I see it, in early June I'll be receiving my first social security check so I can't think of a more fitting commemoration than to use it for a dab rig. Meanwhile the Atmos Greedy is doing its job and it's fine for as long as the coil lasts, and the SSV adapter has been released from the dab dish so there's good progress happening...

i just want to say thanks for the very detailed suggestions; it's a lot to digest and study. I'll have questions along the way, most likely. $300 is fine for a decent setup and as I see it, in early June I'll be receiving my first social security check so I can't think of a more fitting commemoration than to use it for a dab rig. Meanwhile the Atmos Greedy is doing its job and it's fine for as long as the coil lasts, and the SSV adapter has been released from the dab dish so there's good progress happening...

Seems to me your going about it the right way.

My first ever nail was an enail from dnail with the sic halo dish. My controller came from thick ass glass. I don't think they sell them anymore. Anyway it was about $500 total and another $90 for my glass pipe. But at the time I was starting to make my own rosin and I got tired of using my herb vapes, and I did not care for torch rigs my friends had. It was more than any vape I had purchased up to then, and now too come to think about it. But now im glad I did take the chance and its my favorite vaporizer of all that I have.

If I did it over now, id get a cheap controller, you just need to to heat and hold the temp, cheap is fine here imho, and any of the high rated rigs that have been mentioned already. And then find, if you haven't already, a good source for rosin.

I have the cheaper Auber RDK200 and it works great, the rotary dial for temp changes on the Aubers is soo much better than the cheapo units button mashing,
I went with the cheaper RDK200 purely for the cable positions.
I would definitely get a 710coils 25mm axial heater as they are built so much better than the DHGate 'stuff' and better than the DNails too.
I like my cheapo 25mm bangers instead of Shanes at 710coils though as they are very easy to clean and are a lot cheaper but bot opaque but I use a ruby insert anyway,
The ruby insert is an extra option to look at as well as it allows you to vape your material at lower temps that helps to make the experience even tastier and smoother,
As @Baron23 said Shane will fit your heater up to his banger just right for you so that would make sense for starters and you can add a ruby insert later.
Also get a couple of terp balls, they are cheap and work well.

I'm kind of blown away by the depth and detail of response to my question, so thank you all.
Sorry for delayed response - we're sort of in not exactly but sort of like survival mode here right in the epicenter of the epicenter.
The main focus is food and avoiding proximity with people when we must venture outside because not everything can be found online.
If anyone's interested, a great inexpensive food delivery service is misfitsmarket - organic produce that's cosmetically imperfect sold inexpensively.
If they deliver to your area I highly recommend it.
But if you do, don't touch the carton for a good hour after it's delivered and clean it with alcohol before opening - for anything delivered.
Anyways, regarding concentrates I'm actually finding that sandwiching a few "diamonds" with bud in the silver surfer is not just a fallback method but maybe an ideal method because the effect is there; albeit without the punch you get with the concentrate alone, but it also lasts a lot longer.
At least that's been my experience. Also the concentrate live resin gums up the screen pretty rapidly which is actually a good thing, an opportunity.
When that happens I turn the surfer up to maximum heat and vape concentrate resin off the screen and it goes on for awhile and it's a strong heady experience.

I'll delve deep into these suggestions when I can put more attention into it. And thanks alot again...

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back