Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow new to grow

dny

hey guys 1st time growing here....so I have done a lot of reading and honestly I get more confused as I go but the problem at hand is I have had some seeds germintating a couple I put directly into a seed starter kit the seed went directly into the plug I also have a couple that I soaked for 24 hours and put in paper towels in a plastic bag. its been a week tomorow and nothing. now I have done reading and heard people say the best temp to keep it at some say 75 deg all the way to 90 but most say 75-80 so I have been trying to keep it at 78 deg is that ok? maybe a lil to cold? hoping some of you guys could share your germinating experience? Thanks guys

Welcome to the forum, @dny, I am a cloner so don't know much about seeds, I am sure people with more knowledge about the subject will pipe up shortly.:thumbsup:

Hey @dny I’m a first-timer too, growing in coco coir/perlite & from seed. I used these things called Jiffy 7 pellets because they had been recommended to me more than once. They’re cheap as chips, like 10p each but upon closer examination, I realised that they are in fact just compressed discs of coco coir with a natural fibre “cloth” on the outside that helps it retain a tubular shape after expanding when you soak them. Soaked them for 5 minutes, used a toothpick to make a little hole about 1/4 inch deep and shoved the seed in. Kept them moist under a CFL in a box & a week later I put those into their final pots of coco. So basically arb’s post with an extra step. Lol!

And while I had 100% germination and they’re dirt cheap, the reason I used them was logistical in nature. Using them allowed me to get started with germination in the house while I was still acquiring & assembling the environment in another space. But next time, I’ll skip the pellet and follow arb’s method as it’s easier!

Temps- you don’t need to be exact w/78 degrees, think about it - nature isn’t exact. I think that it’s more helpful to think “springtime” so I shot for a range of like 73 to 88. If it goes a couple degrees further in either direction, it’s still cool. So basically what @arb said. Lol!

Definitely toss the paper towel and bag, seeds don’t germinate this way in nature and it’s much harder to keep the correct environment for the seeds to succeed. I’m sure I sound like a hippie but just thinking about it from a natural science perspective allowed me to make small changes & corrections, on my very first time. Even though I’m sure it could have gone better with greater results, I’m also really stoked about applying what I learned going forward and getting better. Believe me, if I can do it, you can too.

TL;DR Read arb’s post and stop there

hey guys 1st time growing here....so I have done a lot of reading and honestly I get more confused as I go but the problem at hand is I have had some seeds germintating a couple I put directly into a seed starter kit the seed went directly into the plug I also have a couple that I soaked for 24 hours and put in paper towels in a plastic bag. its been a week tomorow and nothing. now I have done reading and heard people say the best temp to keep it at some say 75 deg all the way to 90 but most say 75-80 so I have been trying to keep it at 78 deg is that ok? maybe a lil to cold? hoping some of you guys could share your germinating experience? Thanks guys

Welcome to the asylum!

Being nervous and confused is pretty common. Most of us have been there, the rest lie about it, lol.

Once your seeds pop the fun starts. Keep in mind growing cannabis is no harder than growing tomatoes.

I have a rule of twos that might help. You hardly ever get in trouble by not doing enough. Seriously, remember that. But you can have trouble if you violate the rule of twos.

As in too much water, too much nutrients, too much lime, too much trimming too early, too much pesticides, too much heat/cold, too dry/humid, on and on.

Just remember the rule when panic sets in. If you have leaves die, don't start piling stuff on. That's the time to just feed water, and let it heal. Rather than panic and start taking advice from random people (like me, lol).

I have experience in organic soil, if you have any questions in that regard please post them or pm me. Best of luck!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back