Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Topical Pain salve (aka Mom's Green Miracle)

momofthegoons

Vapor Accessory Addict
Staff member
I make a wonderful pain salve out of infused cannabis oil. Thought I would share.... :biggrin:

I start by infusing oil; usually a mixture of coconut oil and olive oil. Other oils can be used (i.e. rice bran oil, etc.)

I use about 2 oz. of trim for this infusion. No decarb. I use the Magical Butter machine at it's lowest setting (160°) on the Oil setting.

It turns into a lovely green oil that can be used by itself for a massage oil. Or to add to bath salts, etc. I do not suggest using it for edibles. I like using the coconut oil for the skin enhancement qualities it has. It also helps solidify the salve so that you don't have to use as much bee's wax. You can see little chunks on the sides of the glass that have solidified on their own.

VcNsENL.jpg

Ingredients:

Infused cannabis oil
Bees wax
Essential oils

For this batch, I used about 20 oz. of oil and 3 oz of beeswax. I melt them together in a double boiler set up that I've rigged with items purchased at the local Salvation Army. I use a little cookie cutter on the bottom of the pan so that the glass pan doesn't sit directly on the heat.

6l3ogwq.jpg

22BZkQe.jpg

I set up my tins and put my essential oils into them first. What type of essential oil you use, really depends on what effect you want from the salve. You can make this salve for calming purposes, sleep, etc. For my purposes (pain) I use the oils pictured below. How much you use is subjective.

q5sXubR.jpg

As I pour each tin full, I use a bamboo skewer and stir it to combine the oils. As you can see, it's a real good idea to have something under it. Waxed paper works best... I sort of spaced out and used paper towel.

g56C1vJ.jpg

After a short while, you will have this...

Fg6QDhw.jpg

You can use this liberally. It appears that this does not pass into the blood stream or urine so it is safe for those who are tested. And how do I know this? I had someone who had come off probation and had extra pee test strips test it for me. :wink:

Last edited:
@momofthegoons, so this works for pain? Do you think it's strong enough to work for things like arthritis, sciatica and knee and joint pain?
Is there a recipe for people that don't have a Magical Butter Machine?

Does/will RSO work for pain as a topical?

I was in my local garden shop the other day and the owner could barely walk he was in so much pain. He won't vape or ingest because he can't be high while working, so I thought a topical would help him.

If anyone else has thoughts or recipes, I'm listening.

Thanks!

so this works for pain? Do you think it's strong enough to work for things like arthritis, sciatica and knee and joint pain?
Yes.... but only for some. It works for the inflammation of osteoarthritis, but does nothing for rheumatoid arthritis; for instance. It also does not work for nerve pain. But if you have a sore knee or joint it works wonders.

The oil with no added essential oils works well for burns and skin irritations.

Now sciatica... that's a whole different animal. And I would say that this would not work for that. The only thing I've found that works for sciatica is physical therapy to strengthen your core and anti-inflammatory meds for the inflammation around the sciatic nerve. I would imagine that something ingestible might help though. And the RSO might be the ticket for that.

I haven't heard of anyone using RSO topically...

As far as a recipe without a Magical Butter machine; I would think the standard crock pot method would work just fine. You just need infused oil for your base.

Last edited:
Yes.... but only for some. It works for the inflammation of osteoarthritis, but does nothing for rheumatoid arthritis; for instance. It also does not work for nerve pain. But if you have a sore knee or joint it works wonders.

The oil with no added essential oils works well for burns and skin irritations.

Now sciatica... that's a whole different animal. And I would say that this would not work for that. The only thing I've found that works for sciatic is physical therapy to strengthen your core and anti-inflammatory meds for the inflammation around the sciatic nerve. I would imagine that something ingestible might help though. And the RSO might be the ticket for that.

I haven't heard of anyone using RSO topically...

As far as a recipe without a Magical Butter machine; I would think the standard crock pot method would work just fine. You just need infused oil for your base.

Okay, thanks.

Just fell on this thread again and was wondering how things worked out for you with your salve @Squiby ...
Well, not quite yet. I've finally put everything I need together. The last bit to fall into place were to collect and buy the containers.

Now that I have everything, I should get on it..... wish me luck!

One question... 20 oz of infused coconut/olive oil is used in the recipe. Do you know the ratio of olive oil to coconut oil? I don't want the salve to be too soft.

Thanks!

One question... 20 oz of infused coconut/olive oil is used in the recipe. Do you know the ratio of olive oil to coconut oil? I don't want the salve to be too soft.
You could actually use all oil or all coconut oil. The trick is in how much bees wax is needed. For the above recipe, the beginning infused oil was about 50/50 olive oil to coconut oil. I used 3 oz. of beeswax for the above batch.

That said... I've found that all beeswax is not 'created equally.' So what I always do is a 'drop test.' After putting in all of the beeswax I think is necessary and it has melted, I will take my skewer and drop a bit onto some waxed paper. If it hardens, you are good. If not? Add small amounts of bees wax till it does.

. If I keep my mix cold it's creamy like.. coconut oil smells so great
Thanks for bringing that up... yes. If you don't put enough beeswax in you can always keep it in the fridge.

Frankly, just the infused oil works well. The added aromatherapy oils enhance it. Putting the beeswax in makes it more lotion like.

Which reminds me.... I need to dig up that lotion recipe.... :sherlock:

I've been branching out a bit and trying different 'recipes' for my salve. The newest batch includes salve for psoriasis and anxiety.

My go to book for this is, "Quick Reference Guide for Using Essential Oils," by Connie and Alan Higley. This book is a wealth of information on which essential oils to use for what ailment.

xhoJ6Ib.jpg

OK. All the stars finally aligned and I made Mom's recipe...sort of.

I mixed it up a bit and took liberties with a Mota Pot Cannabis Oil process. I used half ABV and half cured unvaped bud. The result definitely kills moderate pain.

I'm not sure how strong my infusion is; whether my approach was over kill or not. It took a few batches to use all the weed in the Mota. So I used the same coconut oil over and over with a fresh batch of weed until the half ounce was used up. I put the ground weed through the Mota Pot twice.

This is the recipe I used for this batch and its wonderful. Thanks Mom!!!

Squiby's Pain Salve

1/2 cup cannabis infused coconut oil ~ instructions below
1/2 cup arnica infused oil ~ purchased from Amazon
6 tsp beeswax
4 drops each of:
Thyme essential oil
Peppermint essential oil
Ginger essential oil
Rosemary essential oil
10 drops each of:
Eucalyptus essential oil
Wintergreen essential oil

Melt cannabis infused coconut oil in a small pot over low heat. Add beeswax to melt and stir to blend. Add arnica infused oil. Stir to blend. Place a tiny bit on cold refrigerated plate. The salve will firm up. If it's not firm enough for your liking, add more beeswax and test again. When satisfied with the consistency, remove from heat and cool slightly. Add essential oils, stir to blend and pour into containers. I use salve tins. Once cool, add lid to seal.

Rub on painful area and wait about 10 to 30 minutes for effects to begin.

Infused Cannabis Oil:
7 grams of ABV
7 grams of cured unvaped trim\bud
1/2 cup coconut oil

There are many ways to infused coconut oil. I used a Mota Pot. A Mota Pot is a stove top pressure espresso maker. Fill the reserviour half full of coconut oil and half full of water. Fill the coffee chamber with finely ground cured weed or ABV. Assemble pot and place on high heat. When gurgling begins, turn off the heat and wait a few minutes to cool. Disassemble, pour oil water mixture back into pot and repeat.

Pour finished infused water/oil mixture into a bowl. Refrigerate. The coconut oil will rise to the top and solidify. All your goodies are in the oil. Remove the puck of coconut oil and discard the water. Use the infused coconut oil in topical recipe of choice.

Rub on painful area and wait about 10 to 30 minutes for effects to begin.
I'm so glad you had success with this. :biggrin:

But it takes that long to feel the effects? I find that interesting and wonder why..... My salve works almost immediately.

Also, you list 'infused arnica oil'.... did you infuse that as well?

When I infuse my coconut oil, I usually use 2 oz. of trim and end up with a full quart of infused oil. That will usually make about 3 batches of salve (about 10 - 12 two oz. tins each batch).

But it takes that long to feel the effects? I find that interesting and wonder why..... My salve works almost immediately
It made this for a friend with a degenerative back disease. He will get a tin today and I hope it works well for his pain.

After I made the batch I tried it several times on myself for a pancreas condition that causes moderate to severe pain. The usual course is morphine. Sometimes the pain melted away as I was massaging it in. Other times it seemed like it took longer. It would dull it at first and then half an hour later I noticed the pain had significantly reduced or gone. It may have to do with the intensity of the pain or that it has to absorb deeper to reach the pain. :thinker:???

Also, you list 'infused arnica oil'.... did you infuse that as well?
I bought the arnica oil from Amazon for its pain relieving and anti-inflammatory properties.

When I infuse my coconut oil, I usually use 2 oz. of trim and end up with a full quart of infused oil. That will usually make about 3 batches of salve (about 10 - 12 two oz. tins each batch).
The Mota pot approach was quick and convenient and did not really smell at all but it only makes small amounts.

I am so blown away and impressed with the salve that I'm going to try your method for the coconut oil infusion. It may extract better and I can make a lot all at once and store it in the freezer.

Thanks again for your recipe. You made the steps easy and doable and the salve really kicks the pain out of the park!

Here is a really good guide to the ratio of beeswax to coconut oil and the results.

A Quick Guide to Coconut Oil & Beeswax Ratios

I find my quick guide to liquid oil and beeswax ratios so useful that I knew I’d have to extend it out to soft oils as well. Today we’re looking at beeswax and coconut oil, a perennial favourite in DIY body products. Coconut oil is a soft oil, solid at room temperature. However, it melts at 24°C, which means it’s liquid most of the time in the parts of the world where coconuts actually grow. It’s a very smooth oil that liquifies quickly and absorbs into the skin leaving little evidence it was ever there. I was curious to see how it acted when paired with beeswax.

I used the same method for this experiment as for my other wax and oils guides. Working with 1g increments, I tested ratios of 1:1 through 1:8, increasing the amount of oil (coconut oil this time), and always using 1 gram of beeswax wax. So, 1:1 was 1 gram of each, while 1:8 was 1 gram of wax and 8 grams of coconut oil.

I labelled each little tin, melted them one by one in a water bath, and then let them set up before observing my results.

When it came time for my observations, I used the same criteria as I did with the beeswax experiment:

1. How hard was it? I tested this by pressing on the surface of the mixture with my fingertip (as you would to apply a salve or lip balm), and then scraping with a fingernail.
  2. How quickly did it melt? This was pretty easy to observe by simply handling bits of each mixture.
  3. How sticky was it? I rubbed the mixtures into my arm and tested to see how tacky they were.
  4. How was the slip? I tested this by rubbing bits of the mixture on my lips as they are more sensitive than my arm, and also very familiar with lip balm.
And, as before, I did everything in my house, with an average ambient temperature of about 20°C (so my coconut oil is solid at room temperature). If you live somewhere drastically warmer than I do, you will likely find these observations on the harder side.

1:1 Quite hard, but it can still be dented with a determined finger press. A small amount can be rubbed into the skin pretty easily, and surprisingly it’s not very sticky. Makes a nice lip balm.

1:2 Firm, but can be dented. Smooth, but somewhat tacky on the skin. Melts relatively quickly, could be a firm salve.

1:3 Quite soft, with a firmer top and softer underneath bit. Not sticky, and a bit glossy. Could be a soft salve.

1:4 Quite soft, very smooth. Easily pressed through, fast melt.

1:5 Very soft, nearly liquifies with a small amount of handling. Absorbs quickly, smooth.

1:6 Very soft—I can dent the surface with my finger without the mixture shattering or coming into chunks. Oily, liquifies on touch.1:7 Very soft. There’s a thicker skin on the surface, and then it’s nearly liquid underneath. After it sets up for a bit longer this effect lessens, though it is still extremely soft.

1:8 Super soft. Has a noticeable, flexible skin on the surface. When pressed, the skin cracks and liquidy oil oozes up from underneath. After setting up a bit more this effect diminishes, though the mixture still liquefies within about 2 seconds of skin contact.

A few lessons, after observing everything:

• These mixtures are far less sticky/tacky than the mixtures using liquid oil
  • Raw beeswax + virgin coconut oil smell amazing
  • Give the concoctions at least a few hours to set up
  • Results will definitely be different on a hot summer day
  • This is my first oil/wax experiment where you could use the 1:1, which I really wasn’t expecting at all
Hard? Solid? Melt speed Sticky? Slip
1:1
Firm Yes Slow Very little Pretty good
1:2 Firm Yes Average Very little Pretty good
1:3 Quite soft Yes Fast No Great
1:4 Quite soft Yes Fast No Great
1:5 Soft Yes Very fast No Great
1:6 Soft Yes Very fast No Great
1:7 Very soft Yes Practically liquid No Great
1:8 Very soft Yes Practically liquid No Great

14-05-31-pic34.jpg

BUMP!!! :biggrin:

I made a new batch of salve a few days ago.....

This time I changed things up slightly. I used a new type of pure beeswax that comes in little pellets. It melts much quicker.

IMG_1079.jpeg

And.... I switched out the olive oil for avocado oil. The end result is a much 'silkier' version of the salve. I think I'll start using the avocado oil from now on.

IMG_1080.jpeg

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back