Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Law Pennsylvania

Gov. Tom Wolf Wants To Legalize Recreational Marijuana To Help During Coronavirus Pandemic

Gov. Wolf called on the legislature to legalize recreational marijuana with the proceeds going to existing small business grant funding.

PITTSBURGH (KDKA/AP) – Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf is calling on the legislature to legalize recreational marijuana in an effort to help businesses and individuals hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic.

During a press conference on COVID-19 recovery, Gov. Wolf called on the legislature to legalize recreational marijuana with the proceeds going to existing small business grant funding.

According to a press release by the Governor’s office:

“Fifty percent of the funding would be earmarked for historically disadvantaged businesses. Along with the call to the General Assembly to pass legislation legalizing the sale and use of recreational marijuana, the governor proposes that a portion of the revenue be used to further restorative justice programs that give priority to repairing the harm done to crime victims and communities as a result of marijuana criminalization.”

Also, the governor wants the General Assembly to pursue criminal justice reform policies that restore justice for individuals convicted of marijuana-related offenses.

In addition, Gov. Wolf’s is proposing extra hazard pay for workers on the frontlines of the coronavirus pandemic.

The press release says, “$225 million to increase hazard pay to Pennsylvania workers, using the overall structure of the current PA Hazard Pay Grant Program administered through the Department of Community and Economic Development. This funding would cover a $3.00/hour increase for 208,000 frontline workers across the commonwealth.”

He is also calling for a “PPE Reimbursement Program for employers to cover the cost of masks, face shields, cleaning supplies, hand sanitizers and soaps, and other industry-specific PPE.”

Gov. Wolf would also like to see financial support for small businesses, child care needs, protective equipment and utility shut-offs.

View Gisele Barreto Fetterman through the lens of social media, and one might assume she is among the world’s most upbeat people. But those close to the lieutenant governor’s wife know that she’s waged a lifelong war against chronic pain, with medical marijuana being an effective form of treatment.

She felt compelled to revisit the topic this week after Gov. Tom Wolf said he wants state lawmakers to legalize recreational marijuana.

“I think the outside world has seen me always really happy, kind of joyful, but that is training,” Fetterman said. “You have to work with your brain to make sure you’re going to have a good day even though you’re working through pain. And it takes a lot of practice, decades of practice.”

Fetterman, who lives in Braddock, suffered a few childhood accidents which she said left her with chronic back pain since age 7. Disciplined use of chiropractic care, yoga, inversion tables and “a million stretches” have been the longtime norm for the 38-year-old mother of three.

And, since 2016, when Pennsylvania legalized marijuana for medical use, she signed up for treatment.

“I was one of the first medical marijuana licenses issued; I was first in line at the dispensary,” said Fetterman, whose pain can impede sleep and her ability to walk. “It has taken some trial and error to find what has really helped, but it’s been lifechanging for me.”

Thank you! Legal weed changed my life and can help so many others too. After suffering with chronic pain my entire life, my MMJ card gave me hope and relief. #legalizeit https://t.co/9D35h78HEQ

— Gisele Barreto Fetterman (@giselefetterman) August 25, 2020

Fetterman is one of over 297,000 Pennsylvanians approved for the use of medical marijuana. Obtaining medical marijuana in Pennsylvania requires participation in a registry, a physician’s certification, a medical marijuana identification card and visits to approved dispensaries — a process which costs around $200.

While beneficial to many, Pennsylvania’s medical marijuana program is still insufficient in ways solved by legalizing recreational marijuana, according to Fetterman and other proponents of Wolf’s proposal.

“I think it would be more affordable, and it would vastly improve the access,” said Fetterman. “So many folks whose condition just falls short of it would benefit immensely as well.”

Fetterman will admit that her medical marijuana success story has added to the fervor with which her husband, Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, champions its full legalization in Pennsylvania.

“We’ve seen lives ruined over this, where in other states it’s a normal part of life,” said Fetterman. “We’ve seen young people who have been caught up in this, and it affects every level of their life because they had some weed on them.”

As Fetterman sees it, the stigma associated with marijuana use is one of the biggest hurdles to legalization. Just as the stigma faded with medical marijuana, however, she predicts the same fate for recreational marijuana.

“I had folks who would say, ‘You don’t look like a medical marijuana user: You dress so nice, and you’re so kind,’” said Fetterman. “I still hear some of that, but when I first came out with it, I heard a lot of that. I see how that has changed, and I think it will be the same with this.

“The fact that I have access now to legal and safe marijuana that improved my life and the lives of so many others, it’s hard for me to understand how some folks still oppose it.”

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf is calling on lawmakers to legalize marijuana to boost COVID-19 economic relief—and he’s floating state-run stores to sell cannabis Some revenue would be earmarked for historically disadvantaged businesses & restorative justice https://marijuanamoment.net/pennsyl...uana-sales-to-boost-economy-amid-coronavirus/

Last edited:
I not only disagree with him vehemently, I note that while he wrote "marijuana legalization in Pennsylvania will pose significant challenges for law enforcement resulting from the unanticipated consequences it has on crime and public safety." without citing a single example because....well, its fucking "unanticipated"

Then he goes on to outline issues in Colorado (without any attribution) with said issues being pretty much the opposite of everything I have read about the situation in CO....and, as you can see from my postings in this sub-forum, I read a LOT of legalization articles and studies.

I especially love his citation of the lack of banking for MJ industry as a crime issue in support of his opposition to legalization when the ONLY reason there is no banking available to the industry is because its FUCKING ILLEGAL. Who the fuck publishes this garbage.

He's full of shit and just another old cold drug warrior manning the ramparts against the barbarian MJ users...sigh.

Legalization of marijuana is different from decriminalization | Opinion

As Executive Director of The Pennsylvania Chiefs of Police Association and as a former member of the Pennsylvania Department of Health Medical Marijuana Advisory Board, I would like to express my concerns, and those of many of our membership, about the legalization of marijuana and the relative effects on public safety in or communities.

I believe that marijuana legalization in Pennsylvania will pose significant challenges for law enforcement resulting from the unanticipated consequences it has on crime and public safety.
In our meeting with Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, we supported decriminalization. There is an important distinction to be made here for the commonwealth’s residents. Legalization of marijuana is the process of removing all legal prohibitions against it. Marijuana would then be available to the adult general population for purchase and use at will, similar to tobacco and alcohol. Decriminalization is the act of removing criminal sanctions against an act, article or behavior.
There are insufficient data to determine the true impact of legalized marijuana on crime and safety. However, studies in Colorado show:
  • High-potency THC from marijuana hash oil extractions, which are used in making legalized, laced edibles and beverages, has led to overdoses, potential psychotic breaks, and suicide attempts.
  • Youth use and addiction rates have increased due to ease of accessibility, and there is great concern about the significant health impacts of chronic marijuana use on the youth.
  • Banking systems are unavailable to the marijuana industry because of federal laws, creating a dangerous level of cash that can lead to crime.
  • Difficulties in establishing what is a legal marijuana operation have created problems in conducting investigations, determining probable cause and search and seizure procedures.
  • Marijuana illegal trading through the black and other markets has not decreased. Diversion across state boundaries has created issues for states that do not have legalized marijuana laws.
  • Detecting driving under the influence of marijuana is a significant challenge for law enforcement. Currently, there is no roadside test for marijuana intoxication.
  • Many states have had difficulties caused by conflicting state legislation and local ordinances, policies, and procedures. The situation is even more complex because marijuana remains a Schedule I controlled substance under federal law.
One of the most salient concerns we have relates to the consequences of drug-impaired driving. We have all witnessed our share of crashes and traffic congestion, as well as vehicular, pedestrian and cyclist fatalities. Law enforcement officials are uniquely qualified to discuss the issues and concerns related to impaired driving.
Our efforts to curb drunk driving have met with a great deal of success over the last decade, but drug-impaired driving is not the same as alcohol-impaired driving, and our understanding of the impairments due to drug impairment is limited.
Alcohol is unique among impairing drugs in that there is a documented correlation between blood levels and levels of impairment. This does not exist for other drugs and it has been shown to be non-existent for THC in marijuana. It is not possible to currently identify a valid impairment.

Any who live in a state or county that has government run liquor will immediately recognize this for the idiotic proposal that it is.

Oh yeah, used state stores....that way it can cost much more and deliver much less.

We have county run liquor monopoly where I live and its a disaster but our pigs-at-the-trough politicians will never give up a nickel of revenue that they can spend buying votes so we are stuck with it despite general and wide spread opprobrium.

And look to Quebec for lessons in how to fuck this up.

Pennsylvania Senator Calls Cannabis State Store Idea A 'Nightmare'

I would like to say kudos to Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf for finally calling on the Pennsylvania General Assembly to legalize adult-use cannabis. It would have been better if he had actually thought through what he was proposing and meant it.
Last week, the governor said that he would like to legalize cannabis in order to bring in more revenue for the state and he thinks that selling cannabis in the state liquor stores is the way to do it.

“My hope is that with the pandemic and the hit that we have taken to revenues that there might be a little more interest in it now. And I think that we have had a little more time to see what’s happening in places like Colorado with revenues for example. This might be one way to plug a hole….We have a state store system that would be an ideal way to distribute it,” said Wolf.

Wolf spoke about how he would like funds left over from the CARES Act and tax revenue from cannabis sales to help turn the tide of the pandemic induced recession that has hit the commonwealth, but Senator Daylin Leach the sponsor of SB350 known as the “gold standard” for adult use legalization calls the governor’s plan a nightmare.
“I think it would be unresponsive to the consumer, a bureaucratic nightmare, discourage innovation and kill large parts of the industry right off the bat. Sure, we could do it. We could do it in a way that is less profitable, less advantageous, we can do it in a way that is lesser all around. I don’t know why we would do this,” said Leach.
Wolf’s proposal would make Pennsylvania the only state-run cannabis market in the country and we all know how well things go when the government takes over. If the state runs cannabis sales, it eliminates the retail market opportunity, a key driver of market competition, which means consumers will be the ones taking the hit in their pocketbooks. It will also constrain the product market, keeping out the smaller less capitalized brands, less flexibility in what brands will be sold and less chance of innovation.

Leach says that the governor’s plan is a political nonstarter and his state store announcement did more damage than good.

“He has made it (legalization) far less likely to pass. Republicans hate the state system, they are looking to shut down the state system, not expand their portfolio. Other than sign medical, he did nothing to help us pass medical. Wolf’s efforts to pass legalization have been clumsy and ham-handed enough.”

Knowing that Republicans are opposed, and every other state has passed on a government takeover of their cannabis markets, doesn’t it seem obvious that his proposal is a poison pill? Does it not seem intentionally designed to fail? There is plenty of precedents that makes it clear from every state why no government in its right mind would take this approach.

Pennsylvania Governor Slams GOP Lawmakers For Not Legalizing Marijuana

Pennsylvania’s governor and lieutenant governor renewed their support for legalizing adult-use marijuana in the state during a press conference Thursday afternoon, criticizing the Republican-led legislature for failing to move on a proposal put forward last year.

“There’s nothing going on,” Gov. Tom Wolf (D) said at the event. “That’s why we’re having this press conference. We’re saying, ‘Remember a year ago?’”

Wolf and Lt. Gov. John Fetterman (D) in recent months have been at loggerheads with the Republican-controlled House and Senate over unrelated policies, such as COVID-related school and business closures. But while GOP leaders have criticized the pair’s legalization plan as a distraction from more pressing issues, Wolf and Fetterman said Thursday that an infusion of marijuana tax revenue could be routed toward education, small businesses and criminal justice reform programs.

Pennsylvania’s governor and lieutenant governor renewed their support for legalizing adult-use marijuana in the state during a press conference Thursday afternoon, criticizing the Republican-led legislature for failing to move on a proposal put forward last year.

“There’s nothing going on,” Gov. Tom Wolf (D) said at the event. “That’s why we’re having this press conference. We’re saying, ‘Remember a year ago?’”

Wolf and Lt. Gov. John Fetterman (D) in recent months have been at loggerheads with the Republican-controlled House and Senate over unrelated policies, such as COVID-related school and business closures. But while GOP leaders have criticized the pair’s legalization plan as a distraction from more pressing issues, Wolf and Fetterman said Thursday that an infusion of marijuana tax revenue could be routed toward education, small businesses and criminal justice reform programs.

“It’s a turnkey solution for Pennsylvania,” Fetterman said, challenging critics to name a single other solution that could so immediately and effectively route hundreds of millions of dollars to the state at a time when revenue is hurting. “I would pitch this as much as a jobs bill, as much as anything.”

Sen. Sharif Street (D), who has led the Senate push for legalization and who joined Wolf and Fetterman at the press conference, noted that the state auditor general estimated adult-use legalization could bring in as much as $600 million dollars in annual recurring tax revenue for the state. Washington State saw $319 million in cannabis revenue in 2018, while Colorado made $266 million, Wolf said. “Both of those states are much smaller than, of course, Pennsylvania.”

Street, whose grandfather was a dairy farmer, also pointed out that marijuana could effectively be grown by Pennsylvania farmers alongside other crops, providing another potential revenue stream at a tough economic time. “Cannabis is a crop—and this is something people may not know—that works very well in rotation with corn for dairy farmers,” he said, adding that “the excess parts of the plant that aren’t traditionally good for commercial purposes can be used for feed.”

All three speakers also emphasized the effect legalization would have on criminal justice. In Pennsylvania, Street said, Black and Latino people are four to five times more likely to have a cannabis-related encounter with police than white people despite similar use rates. Fetterman pointed to a chart showing the past decade of the state’s marijuana-related arrests, which average about 20,000 per year. “If you go over the span of a decade,” the lieutenant governor said, “you’re talking nearly a quarter of a million Pennsylvanians.”

Wolf and Fetterman are proposing a plan that would legalize, tax and regulate the sale of commercial marijuana. It would route half the revenue to restorative justice programs “that give priority to the harm done to crime victims and communities as the result of cannabis criminalization,” according to a press release, while the other half would go to aid the state’s historically disadvantaged businesses, “many of which have had difficulties attaining other assistance because of systemic issues.”

The governor initially came out in favor of legalization in September of last year, urging the legislature to “seriously debate” passing legislation to allow marijuana commercial sales while simultaneously pursuing more immediate steps to decriminalize cannabis possession and expunge past criminal convictions. That followed Fetterman embarking on a listening tour across the state, during which he talked to communities and gathered mailed and online comments from tens of thousands of residents.

At Thursday’s event, the pair said that 65 to 70 percent of people they heard from supported legalization. And despite Republican leaders’ opposition to the proposal, Street said that he knows of “a significant number” of GOP lawmakers who he thinks would vote for a marijuana bill.

Republican lawmakers have accused the governor of “legislating by press conference” but failing to take up formal negotiations with lawmakers. Wolf pushed back on that claim at the press conference, saying he’s “inviting that conversation to start.”

“We unveiled that a year ago, and nothing’s happened,” he said. “It’s been dead silence.”

Republicans have also criticized a plan to legalize a drug when other, more dangerous drugs such as opioids are already causing problems in the state. The speakers at Thursday’s press conference said those criticisms don’t make sense.

“Safe, legal access to cannabis is exactly what we need to combat that,” Fetterman said. “I think quite frankly they’re trying to deflect because they know it’s popular.”

Street predicted that marijuana use by teens would actually go down after legalization—a phenomenon that’s been seen in other states—as licensed retailers replace unregulated sales that currently meet the state’s demand for marijuana.

“I think what we ought to be focusing on is programs that help people,” Wolf added. “This is a heaven-sent opportunity to do that.”

Despite raising the issue a year ago, Wolf and Fetterman have vocally returned to the issue this summer. Last week the governor held a press conference touting the economic benefits of legalization and hinted that the state itself might run adult-use marijuana retail stores—a plan that would be unique among legal states and could potentially increase revenue, though he didn’t mention that specific idea at Thursday’s availability with reporters.

Repeatedly during the latest press conference, Fetterman declared that supporting ongoing cannabis prohibition has become a minority, even fringe viewpoint. Legalization, he said, is an obvious path forward. According to some recent polls, majorities of all major political groups, including Republican voters, support cannabis legalization.

“This isn’t shocking, this isn’t something that’s controversial,” Fetterman said. “We know we’re right.”

But Sen. Majority Leader Jake Corman (R) isn’t so sure. In a response posted after Thursday’s press conference, he said not to expect movement on legalization anytime soon.

“We look forward to receiving specifics about [Wolf’s] broad concepts including who would regulate this new industry, where it would be sold, strategies for enforcement and plans to minimize the impacts on the medical marijuana industry,” Corman said. “Like with any issue, a bill would need to work its way through the Senate Committee process to be vetted. Movement on this issue should not be expected his fall.”

The idea isn’t so popular with leadership on the other side of the state capitol either. In a statement issued by a House GOP spokesperson, the caucus criticized Wolf for trying to legalize marijuana while at the same time declaring that drug overdoses in the state have reached disaster proportions.

Republicans added that rather than “legalizing drugs as a way to tax and spend on new government programs,” the governor should work on getting people back to work, returning kids to school campuses and providing “the return to normalcy Pennsylvanians long for.”

Pennsylvania: Federal Judge Says Fired Worker Can Sue After Being Terminated for Use of Medical Cannabis

Harrisburg, PA: A judge for the District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania has determined that a medical cannabis patient may pursue legal action against her former employer after she was terminated for failing a job-related drug test.

The judge denied a motion by the employer, Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals, Inc., to dismiss the plaintiff’s suit. The plaintiff, a former security analyst for the company, registered with the state’s medical cannabis access program while recovering from spinal surgery. She was subjected to a drug screen upon her return to work and was fired after testing positive for the previous use of cannabis. The plaintiff argued that the action taken by her former employer was discriminatory and violates civil rights under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Although the suit may go forward, reporting from Bloomberg News indicates that the plaintiff must refile her lawsuit under the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act and the Philadelphia Fair Practices Ordinance.

In recent months, courts in various other jurisdictions – including Arizona, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New Jersey – have issued similar opinions affirming the rights of employees to lawfully use medical cannabis while off-the-job.

The case is Hudnell v. Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals, Inc., No. 2:20-cv-01621.

Pennsylvania Governor Continues Push For Cannabis Legalization

Legalizing marijuana could help Pennsylvania weather the economic turbulence brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic.

That was the argument put forth on Tuesday by the state’s governor, Tom Wolf, who continued to urge Keystone State lawmakers to take up the issue.

“This year, I again went to the General Assembly and asked them to make legalizing adult-use cannabis a priority for the fall as we work to find ways to overcome the economic hardships of the COVID-19 pandemic. To date, there has been no movement to advance legislation,” Wolf said during a morning visit to Monroe County, Pennsylvania, as quoted by local television station WGAL.

According to the station,
Wolf likened the legalization of recreational pot to the “economic growth that the historic farm bill of 2018 did for hemp farming after decades of prohibition.”

That farm bill prompted many states to establish their own rules for hemp cultivation, with local farmers eager to capitalize on the CBD boom in recent years.

For Wolf, a Democrat currently serving his second term as Pennsylvania governor, marijuana legalization has emerged as a major legislative priority as he winds down his tenure. After expressing support for legalization for the first time last year, Wolf has repeatedly ramped up public pressure on legislators to pursue the reform.

Commitment To Cannabis Reform​

Last month, Wolf and his lieutenant governor, John Fetterman, urged members of the Pennsylvania General Assembly to join the ranks of other states and cities to end prohibition of recreational pot use.

“Now more than ever, we see a desperate need for the economic boost cannabis legalization can provide. So today I am proposing we legalize adult-use cannabis here in Pennsylvania with a portion of the revenue going toward existing small business grants,” Wolf said. “Half of these grants would be earmarked for historically disadvantaged businesses, many of which have had difficulties obtaining other assistance because of systemic issues. The other portion of the revenue will go toward restorative justice programs that give priority to repairing the harm done to crime victims and communities as a result of cannabis criminalization.”

Fetterman made his pitch on restorative justice grounds, saying that the state “must stop prosecuting people for doing something that most Pennsylvanians don’t even think should be illegal.”

In yet another pitch for legalization back in August, Wolf called out Pennsylvnia Republicans.

“House and Senate Democrats have been fighting for these things for years, and certainly since the beginning of the pandemic,” Wolf said at the time. “They’ve been stopped at every turn by the Republicans who’ve been focused on ignoring the public health crisis and actually trashing me. That has to stop. We’ve got to get back to doing things that actually matter to people.”

Wolf and Fetterman would appear to be correct in their assertion that most Pennsylvania voters have their back on the matter. A poll last year from Franklin & Marshall College found that nearly 60 percent of Pennsylvanians support marijuana legalization, which was unchanged from what the pollsters found when they asked the question in 2017.

Pa. House amends DUI law decriminalizing trace amounts of medical marijuana

Wednesday afternoon, the Pennsylvania state House passed a bill amending the state’s existing DUI law to decriminalize driving while traces of marijuana are still in the system of legal medical-marijuana users.
In Pennsylvania, the current laws and provisions related to driving while under the influence of alcohol or substances, aka DUI, criminalize driving while tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), a component of marijuana, is still in a driver’s system, even if it has been weeks after ingestion. This currently also applies to those with medical-marijuana cards.

“I think you can ask any veteran or anybody that’s using medical cannabis that if they took a prescription on Monday, [by] Wednesday they’re not high and if they got pulled over, they darn sure shouldn’t be charged for being intoxicated or under the influence of medical marijuana and the last time they took it was Monday,” said state Rep. Ed Gainey (D-East Liberty) on the state House floor on Oct. 21.
The act amended this provision on grounds to decriminalize residual traces of THC left in the system of legal marijuana users. The amendment was introduced by state Rep. Mike Carroll (D-Luzerne). It passed 109-93 with unanimous support from Democrats, and 16 Republicans crossing the aisle, including local state Rep. Mike Puskaric (R-Elizabeth)
Moreover, the amended bill states that an individual may not drive under a controlled substance with the exception of “marijuana used lawfully in accordance with the act of April 17, 2016, known as the Medical Marijuana Act.”
Opposition to the bill included Pa. House Speaker Bryan Cutler (R-Lancaster) and all Allegheny County Republicans with the exception of Puskaric. They include: State Reps. Bob Brooks (R-Murrysville), Valerie Gaydos (R-Aleppo), Natalie Mihalek (R-Upper St. Clair), Lori Mizgorski (R-Shaler), and Jason Ortitay (R-Cecil).
Republican state Rep. Doyle Heffley (R-Carbon) claimed that this amendment would allow people to, possibly, “get away with murder.” State Rep. Barry Joziwak (R-Berks) said that the state Fraternal Order of Police union asked representatives to oppose the amendment, according to Pennsylvania Capital-Star reporter Stephen Caruso.
However, Gainey argued that “it would make no sense to put [medical marijuana users] in that type of situation when we are giving them some type of fine that says you got to pay this or go to court, be put in the judicial system, the whole nine.
The entire bill will need a concurrence vote in the state Senate if it is to reach the governor's desk.

Why medical marijuana in Pennsylvania is some of the most costly in the U.S.

Bill Cobb uses medical marijuana to treat PTSD and chronic back pain.

“I’m a 50-year-old Black man who’s been a civil rights worker,” said Cobb, now a criminal-justice activist in Philadelphia. “I smoke to have my brain slow down. But to be honest, I also smoke because I enjoy it.”

Alleviating his physical and mental pain is difficult when he feels another sting: His doctor-recommended medicine is not covered by insurance. He pays out of pocket — as much as $120 a week.

“It’s way too expensive,” Cobb said. “It’s ridiculous.”

Cannabis is most often sold in eighths of an ounce, which can be rolled into about seven joints. An eighth of Gorilla Glue 4 marijuana sells for $35 in California. It’s $40 in Maine. It costs $58 in Pennsylvania.

In Colorado, a full ounce of average weed often sells to consumers for $190. In Pennsylvania, the price is closer to $500. Some especially rapacious growers charge $600.

Why is this legal weed so expensive? Blame it on many unexpected factors that have plagued the 2½-year-old medical-marijuana program. They range from old-fashioned profiteering to a state law that has kept supply to a minimum, from a host of expensive regulations to an embryonic agency timid about using its legal authority to drive down prices.

That said, key state officials aren’t even willing to talk about the issue. A spokesperson for the Office of Medical Marijuana said its director, John Collins, paid $133,000 yearly, would not grant an interview.

In written replies to questions, the agency said only, “We continue to work to assist patients to ensure we have access to medical marijuana.” It provided no details.

The state’s new medical-marijuana law permits the agency to cap prices and set up a fund to help defray costs for the poor. But such steps may not be taken for years, if at all.

Agency staff said the law blocks it from tackling prices until it has first adopted final regulations and paid back the state $3 million in seed money. And officials say it won’t meet those conditions until late 2022 at the earliest.

The agency also disclosed to The Inquirer that $20 million in early marijuana revenue had been transferred to the state’s general fund in recent months, to help make up for pandemic-related shortfalls. That siphoned off millions that could have assisted lower-income customers.

Drawing upon analyst reports, national data and interviews with experts and industry executives, here is an examination of prices in a new marketplace that the state has turned into what economists term an oligopoly — a sector dominated by a small group of powerful players watched by a handful of impotent regulators.

Demand vastly outstrips supply

Cannabis growers and dispensary owners charge what they want. Patient counts have exploded during two years of the medical marijuana program, paced by the addition of “pain” and “anxiety” as qualifying conditions. There are constant shortages — even as COVID has jacked up demand far more.

Pennsylvania requires medical marijuana to be grown indoors

Growers in western states and Maine may cultivate cannabis outside. That’s why customers can buy marijuana there at rock-bottom rates. The benefit of indoor growing is consistent quality and purity. Growers have greater control over the crop indoors. In a warehouse, growers can turn over more than five harvests a year. But it all comes at a cost.

“Replicating the sun is a very expensive proposition,” said David Tuttleman, the operator of an indoor-grow facility near Las Vegas

In fact, growing under lights and carefully calibrated conditions doubles the cost of producing marijuana, Tuttleman said. In Colorado, for instance, retailers in November paid $970 wholesale for a pound of outdoor weed, according to Cannabis Benchmarks, a trade publication. In Pennsylvania, an indoor pound sold for at least $3,500 and as much as $4,160.

And dispensaries, like retailers of many products, mark up the wholesale product 100%.

Regulations unique to Pennsylvania drive up the price

Owners of weed businesses grumble about having to comply with Pennsylvania requirements nonexistent in other states.

Pennsylvania demands that producers test their cannabis for molds and other impurities not once, but twice — at harvest and again when the crop is packaged. Few other states impose a second test.

Moreover, Pennsylvania is the only state to require producers to destroy crops if the second test fails, executives say.

Unlike in other states, Pennsylvania producers can’t legally “remediate” crops found to have trace amounts of mold. Industry practice elsewhere calls for growers to reprocess a slightly tainted batch into oils or concentrates. Pressure and heat from the process kill any foreign substance.

“Remediation is a big issue in Pennsylvania,” said a grower. “I fail half of my tests — I lost over 1 million dollars of product just last month.”

“We can’t extract the oils from a failed batch under the current regulations,” said another grower. “That’s 80% of the reason why flower is so expensive and why there’s constant shortages of it.”

Additional regulations, many well-meaning, further drive up costs.

Pennsylvania requires marijuana businesses to retain enormous amounts of high-definition surveillance footage. That can cost $100,000 a year per store.

“In Illinois, you have to keep a record of all your cameras for three months. In Pennsylvania, it’s two years,” according to the president of one multistate cannabis company. “That’s a $30,000 upgrade just to get that. The amount of storage I need is through the roof.”

Guards must protect all Pennsylvania weed businesses. In other states, security is left to the choice of owners.

“It costs me $250,000 a year just in manpower to guard one store,” said Chris Visco, owner of TerraVida Holistic Centers, a dispensary chain in suburban Philadelphia. “Since we started curbside pickup with COVID, we need security both inside and out. And that has doubled the expense.”

Said one cultivator: “It’s easier to get into a nuclear facility than it is into my grow.”

Another costly requirement: Every dispensary must hire a full-time pharmacist. “Most of the time they’re sitting at a computer, bored out of their heads,” said one dispensary owner.

According to the former Pennsylvania legislator considered to be the father of medical marijuana here, pharmacists were added to the law to win over resistant lawmakers.

“We needed to convince the conservative Republicans that this was really medicine,” said Daylin Leach, a former Democratic state senator from Montgomery and Delaware Counties. ”They needed assurance marijuana dispensaries wouldn’t be run by a bunch of hippie guys with goatees. There had to be someone professional on site.”

The state has created an oligopoly. The number of growers has been kept artificially small.

Some states put no limits on the number of growers — Colorado, Oregon, and Oklahoma among them.

According to Leach, Pennsylvania lawmakers wanted to be sure there wasn’t an oversupply. “We didn’t want it to be ubiquitous like in the Wild West where pot was growing and sold everywhere,” he said.

Further limiting supply is that the conflict between antimarijuana federal law and Pennsylvania’s statute means that weed cannot be shipped across state lines. What’s consumed in Pennsylvania must be grown in Pennsylvania.

Moreover, legislators put a specific ceiling on in-state cultivators, limiting permits to a total of 33.

Yet only 20 of those permittees are actually producing marijuana medicines. While more production would drive down prices, health officials have done little to force laggards to get into gear.

“We have to have more competition,” said Jason Mitchell, a cofounder of Soulful Cannabis, a marijuana-advocacy organization in Media. “There’s nothing we can do because it’s all funneled through a handful of license holders. What’s the incentive for them to compete?”

In an economy of scarcity, it’s hardly surprising profiteering is rampant

Many wholesalers simply charge retailers more in Pennsylvania.

A pound of wholesale marijuana grown indoors in Oregon sells to retailers for about $1,600. In Pennsylvania, wholesalers charge $3,700, according to an Inquirer survey.

To be sure, some growers reject this criticism, instead pointing especially to extra charges imposed by government. In Pennsylvania, the state elected to charge $200,000 for a permit, plus an annual $10,000 fee. Colorado charges $4,000, Florida $6,100. Arizona $10,000.

Still, a former grower who sold his business last year to a multistate cannabis corporation said the permit fee actually had a “negligible impact.”

In his view, profiteering was driving costs.

“The profitability on the wholesale side is disgusting,” he said. “The cost to build a marijuana facility in Arizona is similar to what it costs to build one in the middle of Pennsylvania. What they’re charging is simply what the market can withstand.”

Ultimately, of course, the patient pays.

“And there is no reason for the price to be that high,” said Peter Marcus, spokesman for Terrapin, a grower with operations in Colorado, Michigan, and central Pennsylvania.

Terrapin was founded by Phish fans and Deadheads. It sells to retailers for at least 20% less than competitors. If a consumer can find the product, Terrapin’s smokable flower can cost as little as $280 an ounce.

“We decided what’s fair for our company’s revenue growth and what’s fair for the consumer,” Marcus said. “We don’t need to gouge.”

The state marijuana program has yet to take action under key provisions of state law that could cut prices

Under the 2016 law, a sizable share of marijuana taxes — 15% after expenses — may be tapped to subsidize the cost for poorer patients. Asked when that might take place, agency spokesperson Nate Wardle wrote, “we do not have a time frame at this point.”

Instead, $20 million of the program’s surplus revenue was grabbed by Gov. Tom Wolf this year to plug the yawning budget hole created by the pandemic, Wardle confirmed last week. That was two-thirds of the program’s money in the bank.

Predictably, many users have turned or returned to the illegal market.

There, street dealers typically price an ounce at $350, undercutting legal prices — by a little.

Still, “there’s no reason cannabis, legal or from the traditional market, should cost more $65 an ounce,” said Chris Goldstein, a regional spokesman for NORML, the organization that has long lobbied for more lenient marijuana laws.

Nonetheless, one Philadelphia underground dealer was recently selling premium marijuana to consumers for $400 an ounce

Pennsylvania Governor Includes Marijuana Legalization In 2021 Priority List

The governor of Pennsylvania is including marijuana legalization in his list of 2021 legislative priorities.

In an agenda released on Thursday, Gov. Tom Wolf (D) said enacting the cannabis policy change should be part of the state’s economic recovery and would also promote social equity.

With neighboring states moving toward legalization, he said “Pennsylvania cannot afford to be left behind.”

“Legalizing adult-use cannabis has strong bipartisan support among Pennsylvanians,” the governor’s agenda states. “The revenue generated from legalization will be used to support historically disadvantaged small businesses through grant funding and provide them the assistance they need to build back from the economic crisis and strengthen our economy.”

Wolf is set to deliver a budget speech to lawmakers on Tuesday. It’s not yet clear if he will include cannabis-related reforms in his formal spending request, as lawmakers in other states such as New York and Rhode Island have done.

The Pennsylvania governor, who came out in favor of adult-use legalization in 2019, said in the new agenda that the state will also use part of the tax revenue from cannabis sales to “support restorative justice programs to help the individuals and communities that have been adversely harmed by the criminalization of marijuana.”

Establishing a regulated cannabis market will build on the state’s success in enacting a medical marijuana program in 2017, the governor said.

Since adopting a pro-legalization position, Wolf has repeatedly called on the Republican-controlled legislature to pursue the reform.

In September, he took a dig at the Republican-controlled legislature for failing to act on reform in the previous session. And in August, he suggested that the state itself could potentially control marijuana sales rather than just license private retailers as other legalized jurisdictions have done.

Shortly after the governor announced that he was embracing the policy change, a lawmaker filed a bill to legalize marijuana through a state-run model.

A majority of Senate Democrats sent Wolf a letter in July arguing that legislators should pursue the policy change in order to generate revenue to make up for losses resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic.

Meanwhile, reform advocates also have a strong champion of legalization in Lt. Gov. John Fetterman (D).

The top official, who is weighing a run for the U.S. Senate, previously led a listening tour across the state to solicit public input on legalization. He’s credited that effort with helping to move the governor toward embracing comprehensive reform.

While Republican lawmakers have resisted these calls, Fetterman has put his support centerstage, including by hanging marijuana-themed flags at his Capitol office.

In an interview with Marijuana Moment on Wednesday, he said the decor was removed this week at the behest of certain GOP members who passed a temporary budget restricting the types of flags that can be flown on government property—but he promptly put them back up.

“There’s one great way to get them down for good and we can end this,” the lieutenant governor said. And that’s by enacting legislative reform.

Fetterman previously told Marijuana Moment that pursuing legalization through the governor’s budget request is a possibility. But in the meantime the administration is exploring the constitutionality of issuing “wholesale pardons for certain marijuana convictions and charges.”

He’s also said that farmers in his state can grow better marijuana than people in New Jersey—where voters approved a legalization referendum in November—and that’s one reason why Pennsylvania should expeditiously reform its cannabis laws.

In September, the lieutenant governor hosted a virtual forum where he got advice on how to effectively implement a cannabis system from his counterparts in Illinois and Michigan, which have enacted legalization.

Pennsylvania Governor Grants 69 Marijuana Pardons As Lawmakers Move Bipartisan Legalization Bill

As Pennsylvania lawmakers are set to take up a new bipartisan marijuana legalization bill, the governor on Monday announced that he granted expedited pardons for low-level cannabis offenses for 69 more people.

Gov. Tom Wolf (D) signed off on the clemency actions last week as part of the Expedited Review Program for Non-Violent Marijuana-Related Offenses through the state Board of Pardons. With this latest round, a total of 95 people have had their cannabis convictions pardoned through the initiative to date.

The governor also issued pardons for 241 unrelated offenses for a total of 310 last week. He said in a press release that the clemency gives these people “a chance to put the conviction behind them, offering them more opportunities as they build careers, buy homes, and move on with their lives free of this burden.”

“In particular, the nonviolent marijuana convictions-associated pardons have been expedited to make what was a years-long process now a matter of months,” Wolf said.

Lt. Gov. John Fetterman (D), a strong proponent of legalization, said he’s “proud to be a partner with Governor Wolf in our historic reinvention of second chances for Pennsylvanians.”

Brandon Flood, the secretary of the Board of Pardons (BOP), said that the expedited pardon program will soon expand to include other offenses.

“In addition, BOP is actively working with the governor’s office to develop a more streamlined review process for both commutation applicants and certain types of pardon applicants whose applications are recommended by BOP to the governor,” he said.

The clemency action comes days after after Sens. Dan Laughlin (R) and Sharif Street (D) announced plans to introduce legislation to tax and regulate cannabis in the state. Advocates are hopeful that it’s the bipartisan nature of the bill that will move the GOP-controlled legislature to advance the policy change.

The governor said last month that marijuana legalization is a priority as he begins annual budget negotiations with lawmakers—even though his formal spending request doesn’t contain legislative language to actually accomplish the cannabis policy change.

The governor has repeatedly called for legalization and pressured the Republican-controlled legislature to pursue the reform since coming out in favor of the policy in 2019. Shortly after he did that, a lawmaker filed a bill to legalize marijuana through a state-run model.

A majority of Senate Democrats sent Wolf a letter in July arguing that legislators should pursue the policy change in order to generate revenue to make up for losses resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic.

Fetterman, who is running for U.S. Senate, previously led a listening tour across the state to solicit public input on legalization. He’s credited that effort with helping to move the governor toward embracing comprehensive reform.

While Republican lawmakers have resisted these calls, Fetterman has put his support centerstage, including by hanging marijuana-themed flags at his Capitol office.

In an interview with Marijuana Moment in January, he said the decor was removed this week at the behest of certain GOP members who passed a temporary budget restricting the types of flags that can be flown on government property—but he promptly put them back up.

He also said that farmers in his state can grow better marijuana than people in New Jersey—where voters approved a legalization referendum in November—and that’s one reason why Pennsylvania should expeditiously reform its cannabis laws.

In September, the lieutenant governor hosted a virtual forum where he got advice on how to effectively implement a cannabis system from his counterparts in Illinois and Michigan, which have enacted legalization.

In terms of state-level clemency actions, Wolf isn’t alone in using his authority to give people with marijuana convictions a second change.

The governor of Illinois in December announced more than 500,000 expungements and pardons for people with low-level cannabis offenses on their records.

Colorado Gov. Jared Polis (D) used a recently enacted law to grant nearly 3,000 pardons for people convicted of possession one ounce of less of marijuana.

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy (D) has faced pressure by civil rights groups to systematically issue pardons for people with marijuana convictions to supplement the state’s voter-approved move to legalize cannabis.

In June, more than 15,000 people who were convicted for low-level marijuana possession in Nevada were automatically pardoned under a resolution from the governor and Board of Pardons Commissioners.

Washington State Gov. Jay Inslee (D) has also issued pardons for cannabis offenses.

Pennsylvania Marijuana Poll Shows Highest-Ever Support For Legalization

New poll results out of Pennsylvania show that nearly 6 in 10 (58 percent) adult residents support the “complete legalization” of marijuana in the commonwealth, the highest level of support for legalization since the Muhlenberg College’s annual public health poll began tracking the issue.

“The trend on public support for legalization of marijuana in Pennsylvania is clear, with support growing for the eighth year in a row,” Chris Borick, director of the college’s Institute of Public Opinion, said in a statement accompanying the survey results. “As the state government considers this policy option, the public is increasingly coming to the conclusion that they support legalization.”

Just over a quarter of respondents (26 percent) said they were opposed to legalizing cannabis in Pennsylvania. Another 14 percent neither favored nor opposed legalization, while three percent said they weren’t sure.

Screen-Shot-2021-04-26-at-12.49.25-PM.png

The poll, published last week, surveyed 421 Pennsylvania adults during the latter half of March. Its finding have a margin of error of +/- 5.5 percent.Nationally, public support for legalization is also pushing an all-time high. A Quinnipiac poll released this month found that 69 percent of all Americans now favor ending prohibition, an all-time high since Quinnipiac University began tracking the issue in 2012. Three other polls, released this month by Pew Research Center, CBS News and Ipsos, show strong majorities in favor of legalization.

The Muhlenberg survey also asked about a range of other unrelated issues, including COVID-19 vaccines, government responses to the pandemic and attitudes on universal healthcare. Its only other drug-related questions focused on opioids, asking how serious of a problem “heroin abuse in America is” and whether respondents knew anyone “who has been addicted to heroin or another opiate.”

An overwhelming 81 percent of Pennsylvanians said opioid use disorders are “very serious,” with 16 percent saying the issue is “somewhat serious.” Only one percent of respondents said it was “not at all serious,” while two percent were unsure.

Fifty-nine percent, meanwhile, said they knew someone with opioid use disorder.

In Pennsylvania, a bipartisan Senate duo is currently crafting legislation that would legalize cannabis across the commonwealth. Sens. Dan Laughlin (R) and Sharif Street (D) announced some details of the proposal earlier this year, though the bill has yet to be formally introduced.

“I ran for public office because I wanted to solve problems—and you can only solve problems when you are honest about what people think and how people really feel,” Laughlin said at a press conference in February. “It’s clear to me that public attitudes towards marijuana have changed dramatically in the past decade, maybe more than any other issue in recent memory.”

On the House side, meanwhile, a handful of Democrats earlier this month introduced a separate bill, HB 1180, which would legalize the purchase and possession of marijuana by adults 21 and older. Adults would be allowed to grow up to six plants in a private residence for personal use and would also be able to gift other adults up to an ounce of cannabis.

Outside the legislature, Gov. Tom Wolf (D) said earlier this year that marijuana legalization was a priority as he negotiated the annual budget with lawmakers, however, his formal spending request doesn’t contain legislative language to actually accomplish the cannabis policy change.

The governor has repeatedly called for legalization and pressured the Republican-controlled legislature to pursue the reform since coming out in favor of the policy in 2019. Shortly after he did that, a lawmaker filed a bill to legalize marijuana through a state-run model.

Lt. Gov. John Fetterman (D), meanwhile, has been vocal in his support of legalization.

Fetterman, who is running for U.S. Senate, previously led a listening tour across the state to solicit public input on legalization. He’s credited that effort with helping to move the governor toward embracing comprehensive reform. The lieutenant governor even festooned his Capitol office with marijuana-themed decor.

Late last year, the lieutenant governor hosted a virtual forum where he got advice on how to effectively implement a cannabis system from his counterparts in Illinois and Michigan, which have enacted legalization.

The COVID-19 pandemic, and its financial fallout, have also given lawmakers a reason to consider legalization, which make tens of millions of dollars in tax revenue. A majority of Senate Democrats in July sent the governor a letter arguing that legislators should pursue the policy change in order to make up for revenue loss resulting pandemic, but it’s not clear whether legalization could pass the state’s GOP-controlled Senate.

Cresco to acquire Cure Pennsylvania’s 3 cannabis dispensaries for $90 million​

Published 10 hours ago

Chicago-based marijuana multistate operator Cresco Labs announced a $90 million cash-and-stock deal to acquire Bay, also known as Cure Pennsylvania, and its three medical cannabis dispensaries.
Cresco did not specify how much of the acquisition would be paid for with cash and how much would be paid for with stock.

The transaction, which is subject to approvals, is expected to close in the fourth quarter of this year, according to a Thursday news release.
Cresco said the dispensary operator “outperforms the average revenues per-store in Pennsylvania.”
Cure Pennsylvania’s three locations – in Lancaster, Phoenixville and Philadelphia – will add to Cresco’s four existing Sunnyside-brand dispensaries in Butler, New Kensington, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.
The deal “is expected to expand our retail footprint in Pennsylvania, increase profitability, and strengthen our wholesale leadership position in the state,” Cresco CEO Charlie Bachtell said in a statement.
Recreational marijuana remains illegal in Pennsylvania, although the state’s medical marijuana market has become a hot target for cannabis mergers and acquisitions.
MSO Ayr Wellness recently announced an $80 million deal to buy three MMJ dispensaries in Pennsylvania.
Cresco shares trade as CL on the Canadian Securities Exchange and as CRLBF on the over-the-counter markets.

Philadelphia Will Vote On Marijuana Referendum Calling For Statewide Legalization Next Month

Philadelphia voters will get the chance to send their state representatives a clear message this November with a referendum on marijuana legalization on the ballot.

While multiple Pennsylvania cities, including Philadelphia, have enacted ordinances decriminalizing low-level cannabis possession, legislation to enact broader reform statewide has consistently stalled. So the City Council has placed a referendum on the local ballot with the hopes of further motivating the legislature to move ahead with legalization.

Councilmember Derek Green (D) sponsored the measure to put the cannabis question on the ballot, and it was unanimously approved by the Council and signed by the mayor in June.

The resolution stipulates that “the citizens of Philadelphia call upon the Pennsylvania General Assembly and the Governor to pass legislation that will decriminalize, regulate, and tax the use, and sale to adults aged 21 years or older, of cannabis for non-medical purposes.”

While it would not make any immediate changes to the law if approved by voters in the state’s most populous city, it would add pressure on state legislators to act.

Gov. Tom Wolf (D) and Lt. Gov. John Fetterman (D) are already on board with legalization and have encouraged lawmakers to make the policy change. However, the GOP-controlled legislature has so far resisted calls from both the top officials and the public.

But it does seem that some GOP lawmakers are beginning to see the writing on the wall.

A Republican Pennsylvania senator and former federal law enforcement agent announced on Monday that he will be filing a bill to legalize marijuana in the state—and he’s asking his colleagues to join him in the effort.

Asked about both the senator’s new proposal and the Philadelphia referendum, Fetterman told Marijuana Moment in a phone interview on Monday that “it just speaks to the inevitability” of reform statewide.

“As I’ve said time and time again, [legalization is] a farm bill. It’s a veterans bill. It’s a jobs bill. It’s an economic development bill. It’s a revenue bill,” the official, who is running for U.S. Senate, said. “It’s an incredibly powerful public policy lever that, once we pull it in Pennsylvania, everyone will be better off.”

Just last week, a separate pair of state lawmakers—Reps. Jake Wheatley (D) and Dan Frankel (D)—formally unveiled a legalization bill they’re proposing. That one would specifically prioritize social equity for communities most harmed by the war on drugs.

At the same time, a bipartisan Senate duo is also in the process of crafting separate legislation to legalize cannabis across the commonwealth. Sens. Sharif Street (D) and Dan Laughlin (R) announced some details of the proposal earlier this year, but their bill has yet to be formally introduced.

While broad cannabis legalization proposals have not moved forward in the GOP-controlled legislature, Pennsylvania senators heard testimony last month on a bill to protect medical marijuana patients from being prosecuted under the state’s “zero tolerance” DUI laws.

Sen. Camera Bartolotta (R) first introduced an earlier version of the bill in June 2020. She said at the time that the state needs to “ensure that the legal use of this medicine does not give rise to a criminal conviction.”

Months after the standalone reform legislation was introduced, the Pennsylvania House approved a separate amendment that would enact the policy change.

Outside the legislature, Wolf said earlier this year that marijuana legalization was a priority as he negotiated the annual budget with lawmakers. However, his formal spending request didn’t contain legislative language to actually accomplish the cannabis policy change.

Wolf, who signed a medical cannabis expansion bill in June, has repeatedly called for legalization and pressured the Republican-controlled legislature to pursue the reform since coming out in favor of the policy in 2019. Shortly after he did that, a lawmaker filed a separate bill to legalize marijuana through a state-run model.

In May, Wolf pardoned a doctor who was arrested, prosecuted and jailed for growing marijuana that he used to provide relief for his dying wife. That marked his 96th pardon for people with cannabis convictions through the Expedited Review Program for Non-Violent Marijuana-Related Offenses that’s being run by the Board of Pardons.

Overall, legalization is popular among Pennsylvania voters, with 58 percent of residents saying they favor ending cannabis prohibition in a survey released in April.

Another poll released in May found that a majority of voters in the state also support decriminalizing all currently illicit drugs.

Meanwhile, voters in more than a dozen Ohio municipalities will decide on ballot measures to decriminalize marijuana next month.

Pennsylvania Lawmaker Files Bill To Expand Medical Marijuana Growers, Prioritizing Small Farmers

A Pennsylvania lawmaker on Friday introduced a bill to expand the number of medical marijuana cultivators in the state, prioritizing small farms to break up what she characterized as a monopoly or large corporations that’s created supply problems.

Rep. Melissa Shusterman (D) filed the bill, which she said would help to resolve supply chain issues resulting from limits on how many cultivators can operate in a given geographic zone.

“Pennsylvanians shouldn’t have trouble accessing medication prescribed by a doctor for relief from pain and sickness,” Shusterman said in a press release. “The restrictions placed on growers and processors hurts small businesses, farmers and patients alike.”

Shusterman first raised the issue in a co-sponsorship memo to colleagues in March. The lawmaker said at the time that it’s “crucial that Pennsylvanians have accessible and equitable entry into the burgeoning medical cannabis industry.”

Under her proposal, which was filed with 14 initial cosponsors and has been referred to the House Health Committee, there would be a new definition added to the state’s medical cannabis law for “farmer-growers” who could obtain a marijuana business licenses.

A farmer-grower would be limited to cultivating cannabis on a single site that does not exceed two acres of land, but its products would be taxed less than other growers. Under the current system, producers face a gross receipts tax of 5 percent on sales to dispensaries. That would be set at just 1 percent for farmer-growers.

And whereas current cultivators need to meet municipal zoning and land use requirements for manufacturing, processing and production facilities, farmer-growers would have to meet the requirements for agricultural operations.

The hope is that creating this new permit category and empowering small farmers to grow cannabis will drive down prices for consumers, as well as unlocking opportunities for more businesses.

“The studies have shown again and again the benefits of medical marijuana for certain medical conditions,” Shusterman said. “It’s not fair that only big corporations control the market, hurting consumers and small businesses.”

The legislation would still not allow medical cannabis patients to grow their own medicine, however. Efforts to add that right have been defeated in the legislature.

The new bill’s introduction comes as Pennsylvania lawmakers work to advance adult-use legalization and other drug policy reforms.

A much-anticipated bipartisan Senate bill to legalize marijuana in Pennsylvania that has been months in the making was formally introduced earlier this month.

Sens. Dan Laughlin (R) and Sharif Street (D) unveiled the nearly 240-page legislation months after first outlining some key details back in February. It would allow adults 21 and older to purchase and possess up to 30 grams of cannabis, five grams of marijuana concentrate products and 500 milligrams of THC contained in cannabis-infused products.

Meanwhile, Rep. Amen Brown (D) recently announced his intent to file a reform bill that he’ll be working on with Sen. Mike Regan (R), who expressed his support for the policy change a day earlier.

Additionally, a separate pair of state lawmakers—Reps. Jake Wheatley (D) and Dan Frankel (D)—formally unveiled a legalization bill they’re proposing.

While each measure generally seeks and end to marijuana criminalization by creating a regulated, commercial model for cannabis, there are some provisions that make each piece of legislation unique. For example, the proposals vary in how they would approach taxes, revenue and social equity.

While these recent moves to enact reform in the GOP-controlled legislature are encouraging to advocates, a spokesperson for House Majority Leader Kerry Benninghoff (R) recently tempered expectations, saying that there’s “no significant support for the legalization of recreational marijuana in the House Republican caucus.”

Lt. Gov. John Fetterman (D), who is running for U.S. Senate, told Marijuana Moment in a recent phone interview that he’s optimistic about the prospects of reform with these latest proposals, though he acknowledged that there may be disputes between legislators over how tax revenue should be distributed.

Gov. Tom Wolf (D), for his part, has said that a bipartisan approach to legalization “would be a great thing. I think the time is right.”

Meanwhile, the Philadelphia City Council has placed a referendum on the local November ballot urging the state to enact legalization. The hope is that the local vote could further motivate the legislature to move ahead with legalization.

While broad cannabis legalization proposals have not moved forward in the Republican-led legislature, Pennsylvania senators heard testimony last month on a bill to protect medical marijuana patients from being prosecuted under the state’s “zero tolerance” DUI laws.

Sen. Camera Bartolotta (R) first introduced an earlier version of the bill in June 2020. She said at the time that the state needs to “ensure that the legal use of this medicine does not give rise to a criminal conviction.”

Months after the standalone reform legislation was introduced, the Pennsylvania House approved a separate amendment that would enact the policy change.

Separately this month, a bipartisan coalition of Pennsylvania lawmakers introduced a bill that’s meant to promote research into the therapeutic potential of psilocybin mushrooms for mental health conditions such as post-traumatic stress disorder.

Outside the legislature, Wolf said earlier this year that marijuana legalization was a priority as he negotiated the annual budget with lawmakers. However, his formal spending request didn’t contain legislative language to actually accomplish the cannabis policy change.

Wolf, who signed a medical cannabis expansion bill in June, has repeatedly called for legalization and pressured the Republican-controlled legislature to pursue the reform since coming out in favor of the policy in 2019. Shortly after he did that, a lawmaker filed a separate bill to legalize marijuana through a state-run model.

In May, Wolf pardoned a doctor who was arrested, prosecuted and jailed for growing marijuana that he used to provide relief for his dying wife. That marked his 96th pardon for people with cannabis convictions through the Expedited Review Program for Non-Violent Marijuana-Related Offenses that’s being run by the Board of Pardons.

A survey from Franklin & Marshall College released this week found that 60 percent of Pennsylvania voters back adult-use legalization. That’s the highest level of support for the issue since the firm started polling people about it in 2006.

DUI Protections For Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Patients Derailed Following Police Pushback

An attempt to provide protections for Pennsylvania medical marijuana patients from being charged with driving under the influence was derailed in the legislature this week, apparently due to pushback by the state police association.

Lawmakers have been working to pass standalone legislation on the issue, ensuring that registered patients aren’t penalized for having cannabis metabolites in their system, which can be detected for weeks after a person consumers cannabis. During a floor session in the House on Monday, Rep. Chris Rabb (D) sought to attach the language of the legislation to a broader vehicle-related bill as an amendment.

But the amendment was later withdrawn from consideration after the Republican co-prime sponsor, Rep. Todd Polinchock (R), pulled his name from the standalone bill, which Rabb said was “due to concerns expressed to him” by the Pennsylvania State Troopers Association.

The association recently circulated a position statement expressing opposition to the proposal, according to the lawmaker. Rabb told Marijuana Moment that he did not see the statement until after he learned that Polinchock removed his name from the legislation.

Rabb met with a liaison for the police association on Thursday—days after the House floor action—and said the group expressed concern about “the potential muddling of what law enforcement could do in terms of proving impairment.”

“There’s a perception—generally speaking, not just with state troopers or law enforcement, but generally—that somehow this amendment to this bill, which is identical to the standalone legislation I introduced, would somehow give impaired drivers who were impaired by cannabis a free pass, which it wouldn’t,” Rabb said. “It merely seeks to have parity for drivers, irrespective of the prescribed medication.”

Meanwhile, bipartisan Pennsylvania senators on Wednesday said they are introducing a bill that would also impact medical cannabis patients, allowing them to cultivate their own plants for personal use.

Rep. Mike Carroll (D), co-chair of the House Transportation Committee, spoke about the DUI protections issue on the floor on Monday before withdrawing the amendment. He said “we simply cannot have people using medical marijuana charged and convicted of a DUI when they’re not impaired.”

“It’s patently unfair and currently happening,” Carroll said. “District attorneys across the state have reached out to me and asked that something be done. House Bill 900 is the remedy. And in the absence of House Bill 900, this amendment is the remedy.”

After another lawmaker moved to table the amendment, Carroll, who did not mention the police concerns on the floor, said that other members of the legislature had asked him to withdraw the measure, which he then did.

Rabb, who is himself a medical cannabis patient and a founding member of the bicameral Pennsylvania Cannabis Caucus, said next steps for advancing the reform would involve “getting more stakeholders in law enforcement” to offer their support and promoting “public literacy around this issue—not just cannabis, but how it intersects with law enforcement.”

The broad driving legislation the Rabb wanted his amendment attached to has now passed the House and is on its way to the Senate.

In that chamber, the Transportation Committee held a hearing in September on a nearly identical standalone bill that’s being sponsored by Sen. Camera Bartolotta (R).

Health professionals, lawyers and law enforcement officials highlighted the unique complications that cannabis patients and police face under the current statute and the constitutionality of the proposed reform.

The legislation would specifically amend state law to require proof of active impairment before a registered patient could be prosecuted for driving under the influence. The current lack of specific protections for the state’s roughly 368,000 patients puts them in legal jeopardy when on the road, supporters say.

The measure would essentially make it so medical cannabis would be treated the same by law enforcement as Schedule II and III drugs such as prescription opioids and anti-anxiety medication.

Bartolotta first introduced an earlier version of her bill in June 2020. She said at the time that the state needs to “ensure that the legal use of this medicine does not give rise to a criminal conviction.”

Months after the standalone reform legislation was introduced, the Pennsylvania House did approve a separate amendment that would enact the policy change.

Pennsylvania legalized medical marijuana in 2016, with the first dispensaries in the state opening in 2018. But the state’s zero-tolerance DUI law still doesn’t reflect those changes.

Experts and advocates have emphasized that evidence isn’t clear on the relationship between THC concentrations in blood and impairment.

A study published in 2019, for example, concluded that those who drive at the legal THC limit—which is typically between two to five nanograms of THC per milliliter of blood—were not statistically more likely to be involved in an accident compared to people who haven’t used marijuana.

Separately, the Congressional Research Service in 2019 determined that while “marijuana consumption can affect a person’s response times and motor performance… studies of the impact of marijuana consumption on a driver’s risk of being involved in a crash have produced conflicting results, with some studies finding little or no increased risk of a crash from marijuana usage.”

Outside of the driving issue, Pennsylvania lawmakers are also pursuing separate marijuana reforms in the state.

For example, a lawmaker introduced a bill last month to expand the number of medical marijuana cultivators in the state, prioritizing small farms to break up what she characterized as a monopoly or large corporations that’s created supply problems.

The legislation would still not allow medical cannabis patients to grow their own medicine, however. Efforts to add that right have been defeated in the legislature.

A much-anticipated bipartisan Senate bill to legalize marijuana in Pennsylvania that has been months in the making was formally introduced earlier last month.

Sens. Dan Laughlin (R) and Sharif Street (D) unveiled the nearly 240-page legislation months after first outlining some key details back in February. It would allow adults 21 and older to purchase and possess up to 30 grams of cannabis, five grams of marijuana concentrate products and 500 milligrams of THC contained in cannabis-infused products.

Meanwhile, Rep. Amen Brown (D) recently announced his intent to file a reform bill that he’ll be working on with Sen. Mike Regan (R), who expressed his support for the policy change a day earlier.

Additionally, a separate pair of state lawmakers—Reps. Jake Wheatley (D) and Dan Frankel (D)—formally unveiled a legalization bill they’re proposing.

While each measure generally seeks and end to marijuana criminalization by creating a regulated, commercial model for cannabis, there are some provisions that make each piece of legislation unique. For example, the proposals vary in how they would approach taxes, revenue and social equity.

While these recent moves to enact reform in the GOP-controlled legislature are encouraging to advocates, a spokesperson for House Majority Leader Kerry Benninghoff (R) recently tempered expectations, saying that there’s “no significant support for the legalization of recreational marijuana in the House Republican caucus.”

Lt. Gov. John Fetterman (D), who is running for U.S. Senate, told Marijuana Moment in a recent phone interview that he’s optimistic about the prospects of reform with these latest proposals, though he acknowledged that there may be disputes between legislators over how tax revenue should be distributed.

Gov. Tom Wolf (D), for his part, has said that a bipartisan approach to legalization “would be a great thing. I think the time is right.”

Philadelphia voters also approved a referendum on marijuana legalization this month that adds a section to the city charter saying that “the citizens of Philadelphia call upon the Pennsylvania General Assembly and the Governor to pass legislation that will decriminalize, regulate, and tax the use, and sale to adults aged 21 years or older, of cannabis for non-medical purposes.”

Wolf said earlier this year that marijuana legalization was a priority as he negotiated the annual budget with lawmakers. However, his formal spending request didn’t contain legislative language to actually accomplish the cannabis policy change.

The governor, who signed a medical cannabis expansion bill in June, has repeatedly called for legalization and pressured the Republican-controlled legislature to pursue the reform since coming out in favor of the policy in 2019. Shortly after he did that, a lawmaker filed a separate bill to legalize marijuana through a state-run model.

A survey from Franklin & Marshall College released this week found that 60 percent of Pennsylvania voters back adult-use legalization. That’s the highest level of support for the issue since the firm started polling people about it in 2006.

Cannabis Testing Prohibited for Most Philadelphia Job Applicants Starting 2022

Starting in 2022, most Philadelphia job applicants won’t be tested for cannabis, except in special situations.

When the calendar flips to 2022 in a few days, most job applicants in Philadelphia will no longer have to sweat out a drug test for cannabis.

As of January 1, the city will prohibit most employers from conducting a cannabis drug test for new hires. The new ordinance, passed easily by the Philadelphia city council earlier this year, will be “the first of its kind in Pennsylvania,” according to local television station KDKA.

Recreational pot is still illegal in the state, but medical cannabis is not. The latter was the impetus for Philadelphia City Councilmember Derek Green to author the ordinance, telling KDKA that his chief focus was on medicinal cannabis.

“Cannabis is a unique product. Unlike alcohol and others, it metabolizes in your system a lot differently,” Green said, as quoted by the television station. “We’re having this conversation across the commonwealth and in the general assembly about whether we allow adult-use cannabis. But for me, those who really need medical marijuana, especially to improve their quality of life, shouldn’t be restricted from getting a job because that’s what we all want to see.”

There are a number of exemptions for the new ordinance, “including law enforcement, employees who need a commercial driver’s license, many health-care workers, and a broad category that includes ‘any position in which the employee could significantly impact the health or safety of other employees or members of the public,’” according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

The city council approved the ordinance in April by a 15-1 vote, with the lone vote against coming from David Oh, a Republican.

The legislation was signed into law by Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney shortly thereafter.

While Philadelphia may be the first city in the Keystone State to enact such a measure, it has been done elsewhere—including in nearby New York City, which had its own ban on pre-employment cannabis drug testing go into effect last year.

Lawmakers in Nevada, where recreational pot is legal for adults, implemented its own ban last year, and earlier this year, not long after it ended prohibition on pot, New York made the ban statewide.

Much like in Philadelphia, New York City’s ban on pre-employment marijuana drug testing came before recreational pot was made legal.

The measure passed the New York City council in 201 after it was brought by Jumaane Williams, the city’s public advocate and a candidate for governor of New York.

“Marijuana testing isn’t a deterrent to using the drug, it’s an impediment to opportunity dating back to the Reagan area—one that disadvantages low-income workers, often workers of more color, many of whom we now call essential but treat as expendable.” Williams said after the ordinance took effect last year.

“Particularly now, as we are grappling with how to recover from the economic crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and the worst levels of unemployment in a century, we need to be creating more access points for employment, not less—and if prospective employers aren’t testing for past alcohol usage, marijuana should be no different. This is an economic recovery issue, a worker justice issue, and one that New York City must lead the way on.”

Green, the Philadelphia city councilmember, said that it didn’t make sense for employers to screen for something that is often recommended by doctors in the state.

“We’re using pre-employment testing for a product that is being recommended by physicians, for individuals within the city of Philadelphia, that’s authorized for them to be used,” Green said after it was approved in April, as quoted by the Philadelphia Inquirer. “That seems very contradictory.”

Pennsylvania Senate Committee Holds Second Marijuana Legalization Hearing As Reform Bill Is Drafted

A key Pennsylvania Senate committee on Monday held the second of three hearings it has scheduled on marijuana legalization, taking testimony meant to help inform a forthcoming reform bill that the panel’s chairman is actively drafting.

The Senate Law and Justice Committee meeting focused on the experiences of other states that have enacted legalization, with industry stakeholders, advocates and representatives of the Koch-backed Americans for Prosperity testifying on the issue.

Sen. Mike Regan (R), who chairs the panel, circulated a cosponsorship memo last year along with Rep. Amen Brown (D) to build support for the reform, and these meetings are designed to give lawmakers added context into the best approach to legalization for the state.

At an initial hearing earlier this month, much of the discussion focused on whether creating a regulated market would be sufficient to eliminate illicit sales, how police would be affected and the impact on impaired driving.

This time around, committee members talked about varying tax structures and other regulatory approaches that have been created in states like Illinois and California.

“There has been a demand from many of my colleagues in both the Senate and the House that any adult-use legislation needs to be comprehensive and include best practices from other states,” Regan said in opening remarks. “We have gone to great lengths to bring together an extremely knowledgeable and diverse group of individuals with experience in many of those states.”

While reform bills have been introduced in past sessions and the policy change has the support of Gov. Tom Wolf (D), Monday’s event marks only the second time a legislative panel has debated recreational legalization in the Republican-controlled Pennsylvania General Assembly. One more hearing will soon be scheduled in the panel.

The latest hearing provided a broad overview of the experiences in out-of-state markets, rather than specific legislative proposals like a bipartisan measure introduced last year by Sens. Dan Laughlin (R) and Sharif Street (D), who also participated in the hearing.

Those senators also recently filed introduced a bill that would allow medical marijuana patients to cultivate their own plants for personal use. Street had attempted to get the reform enacted as an amendment to an omnibus bill this summer, but it did not advance.

“Since first announcing my intention of introducing legislation to legalize adult-use marijuana, I have expressed my desire to learn from those states who have taken that step,” Regan said. “I want to fully understand which states are models of success, which ones we should look at for guidance on specific aspects of establishing an adult-use cannabis program in Pennsylvania and which states have failed in one way or another.”

“It is not necessary for us to go about this blindly when 18 other states have navigated the process already,” the chairman said. “Learning from them is important so that we can answer questions our constituents and colleagues have raised about how adult use marijuana will be will be implemented in Pennsylvania.”

Meanwhile, Street is behind another recent cannabis measure to provide state-level protections to banks and insurers that work with cannabis businesses.

Jeremiah Mosteller, senior policy analyst for criminal justice at Americans for Prosperity, testified at Monday’s hearing that the organization is contributing “as a neutral voice to help states set up fair, safe and efficient markets that can undermine the black market.”

He said that other states like Michigan could be viewed as a model for taxation, for example, by creating a tax scheme that is phased in over time. He also emphasized the importance of “empowering local companies and farmers to be a part of this market.”

Regan concluded the hearing by thanking the witnesses and saying that he’s “cognizant that the legalization of adult-use of marijuana is concerning for many members—but as more surrounding states legalize marijuana, we cannot sit idly by, and that’s why these hearings are so vitally important.”

In the interim, Lt. Gov. John Fetterman (D), who is running for U.S. Senate this year, said one of his key goals in his final year in office is to ensure that as many eligible people as possible submit applications to have the courts remove their cannabis records and restore opportunities to things like housing, student financial aid and employment through an expedited petition program.

Pennsylvania lawmakers could also take up more modest marijuana reform proposals like a bill filed late last year to expand the number of medical marijuana cultivators in the state, prioritizing small farms to break up what she characterized as a monopoly or large corporations that’s created supply problems.

Additionally, another pair of state lawmakers—Reps. Jake Wheatley (D) and Dan Frankel (D)—formally unveiled a legalization bill they’re proposing last year.

Philadelphia voters also approved a referendum on marijuana legalization in November that adds a section to the city charter saying that “the citizens of Philadelphia call upon the Pennsylvania General Assembly and the Governor to pass legislation that will decriminalize, regulate, and tax the use, and sale to adults aged 21 years or older, of cannabis for non-medical purposes.”

Wolf, the governor, said last year that marijuana legalization was a priority as he negotiated the annual budget with lawmakers. However, his formal spending request didn’t contain legislative language to actually accomplish the cannabis policy change.

The governor, who signed a medical cannabis expansion bill in June, has repeatedly called for legalization and pressured the Republican-controlled legislature to pursue the reform since coming out in favor of the policy in 2019. Shortly after he did that, a lawmaker filed a separate bill to legalize marijuana through a state-run model.

A survey from Franklin & Marshall College released last year found that 60 percent of Pennsylvania voters back adult-use legalization. That’s the highest level of support for the issue since the firm started polling people about it in 2006.

An attempt to provide protections for Pennsylvania medical marijuana patients from being charged with driving under the influence was derailed in the legislature last year, apparently due to pushback by the state police association.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back