Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy Pet Fooled

Helios

Within the Pet Food Industry it seems there is a total lack of Transparency into the Nutritional requirements Cats and Dogs have, compared to what is being served, may I suggest we look into this a bit further and discuss the topic, as only we can speak up for our beloved companions and have the resources to provide a healthy balanced diet for them. The point here is to make awareness and hold these Companies accountable for this massive and negligent oversight.

Thanks for posting this @Helios . I haven't had an hour free to watch the vid yet, but plan to today.

As we discussed in pm, my last dog had horrible skin problems that, I now believe, were linked to the dog food he was being fed. And that food is not regulated like it should be.

Came across an article about this study today and thought it would add to the discussion... too many graphs, etc., to post the entire article. Follow the link. :smile: I was dismayed to see the brand of food I use now on the list.

FDA Investigation into Potential Link between Certain Diets and Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy

@momofthegoons, wow thanks for that great article, my knucklehead is getting some belly rashes lately and they don't seem to go away, its a tough area to heal because he keeps scratching it after we clean and medicate the area. was curious about a CBD salve in another thread u posted regarding allergic Skin rashes. any thoughts on that?
The Video is an Eye opener for sure and every pet owner needs to b aware of this, its out of control.

@Madri-Gal good on ya, we do this too, freeze up food for a week or two, even buying frozen raw food is healthier than dry kibble, its work for sure but worth it. If people do give only kibble I suggest adding at least Raw shredded carrots and some leafy greens with each bowl so at least they receive the Nutrients only Raw food can provide.
It is Heartbreaking to know that we pay these Co's to poison our own.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
We used to use this site for researching dog food.

my knucklehead is getting some belly rashes lately and they don't seem to go away, its a tough area to heal because he keeps scratching it after we clean and medicate the area. was curious about a CBD salve in another thread u posted regarding allergic Skin rashes. any thoughts on that?
I have sent infused coconut/olive oil to two different people who have used it on their dogs for bad rashes that would not go away. In both cases the rash completely cleared up. Now... this doesn't prevent those hot spots from re-occuring. But the rash itself was noticeably better by the next day.

Avoid using essential oils however. Many are toxic to animals. And since they lick...

As an aside, I've been corrected on that salve being CBD. Apparently it is THCa that is made unless you decarb first. The only time you would get a CBD salve is by using only CBD flower. At least that's what 'they' said. Either way it works and does not transfer into the blood stream topically.

I'm all over the map on this. I want to feed the healthiest food to my animals and provide them with the best life that I can. I tried feeding raw to my last dog Max, a beautiful black Chow Chow. He was having none of it. Wouldn't even go near it, but he was around 10 when I tried to introduce it. He ended up eating kibble, what I thought were the best brands, Science Diet for example, along with meal scraps for the rest of his life. He died at 19 years, 7 months and one week old from a sudden stroke. He was a healthy dog, it appeared and suffered from no health issues. I also bought recipe books to make homemade food and never got around to it beyond making some healthy biscuits which he enjoyed.

Then with Caleb, the Bengal cat in my Avatar, we began a raw diet from day one. It was convenient because a small local pet food business was close by and they delivered he frozen raw food once a week. This worked great for two years then Caleb suddenly refused to eat it. So I introduced a top brand kibble (Fromm, which I see is on the suspect list) and tried supplementing with raw. Nope. But he will eat a raw chicken wing when I'm preparing a chicken for myself and he'll chew on cooked leg bones but absolutely won't touch a prepared raw meal. He also has no problem chewing on warm mouse guts from the mice he slaughters in the basement.

When I was a kid, we never bought prepared food for our dogs, they got what we were eating, the leftovers and table scraps. we never had an animal with a health problem.

It is hard to know what to do. Clearly dry commercial food seems to be the worst choice.

@Madri-Gal do you make cat food? Or just dog food? I'd love to hear more about what goes into your pet food.

I'm all over the map on this.
Me too. I was finally able to watch the video and was appalled to see treats on there that I have given to my dogs. And food. The food that Cos is on now was not on the video; fortunately. But it was listed in the article that I posted (Orijen).

So I'm flipping out. I've been scouring the net for how bad some of the ingredients are... and what alternatives are available.

My Wheaten Terrier had awful skin conditions that I had to treat constantly with a medicated soap. Several baths a week. I didn't know better back then and he ate Purina. I'm sure the corn in it was partly to blame. But after seeing that vid I'm thinking the treats had something to do with it as well. When I got Cos, I changed it up and switched to Iams... which caused his coat to get dull after a couple years. When I switched to Orijen his coat became shiny again. Looking at the ingredients they appear 'healthy' but now I'm not so sure....

Except for one thing. I do have control over how many, and what quality, of treats he gets. And since he's a treaty Petey I'll be starting to make all of his treats instead of only some of them.

Unsolved Mystery,
FDA continues investigation into dog heart damage linked to diet.

Interesting.... I asked my vet a while back about a grain free diet. I had heard so much about grains being responsible for allergies in dogs (especially skin allergies). He immediately nixed the idea of a grain free diet saying that that type of diet actually created more health problems. I was really surprised.

I'll be getting a puppy in a few months and was just thinking about what food to use for it last night. Funny you should post this article today.

I'll be getting a puppy in a few months and was just thinking about what food to use for it last night. Funny you should post this article today.
Great news! If you wanna go a little pricey for otc kibble, might I suggest Wellness or Whole Foods private label...? If out by you, cheaper is (was) a local fav Blue Seal you can usually get at feed stores...

Blue Seal​

Blue Seal Feeds was founded as the H. K. Webster Company in 1868 in Lawrence, Massachusetts by Henry K. Webster. Webster had rented a small gristmill to produce animal feed and grain products. His son Dean K. Webster began selling products under the "Blue Seal" brand name. In 1941, H.K. Webster Company expanded by acquiring a Quaker Oats plant in Richford, Vermont. By 1954, the company was earning $15 million in annual revenue and Ralph Kingman Webster, H.K. Webster's great-grandson, joined the company.

By 1988, the firm had grown to eight plants and seventeen retail stores in New England producing $150 million in annual revenue. That year, Varied Investments (which would later become Muscatine Foods and, eventually, the Kent Corporation) acquired the H.K. Webster Company and officially renamed it "Blue Seal Feeds." Blue Seal moved its headquarters to a new facility in Londonderry, New Hampshire in 1994. In 2008, the company acquired the I.L. Richer Company, another feed company based in New York.

Blue Seal produces a number of branded items, including pet foods and animal feed as well as a line of lawn and garden products. Blue Seal products are primarily sold in the Northeast and along the Eastern Seaboard. Blue Seal also operates several retail stores in New England.

Kent Nutrition Group

Last edited:
Great news! If you wanna go a little pricey for otc kibble, might I suggest Wellness or Whole Foods private label...? If out by you, cheaper is (was) a local fav Blue Seal you can usually get at feed stores...
I've used Wellness in the past... but switched to Orijen the last few years; which was no cheap date lol. I noticed a huge difference in my dog's coat using the Orijen; much shinier. I'll check out the Blue Seal...

We have used Purina dog,puppy,kitten and cat food for years.
Bred dogs with it for several decades with no issues.
All short haired game dogs in Florida,daily swims in the salt water with extreme emphasis on physical performance.
My biggest personal loss from my health was giving up my bulldogs.

@momofthegoons orijen is quality but $$$,
@Bologna, I'm going to look into blue seal, we go through chewy mainly for delivery, its tricky to discern which companies are in it for profit only and which actually provide nutritional Benefits for our companions. We always shred carrots into and toss in a few leafy greens in with kibble.
@arb, how many bully's did you own?
How's the gimpy ankle?

@Bologna, I'm going to look into blue seal, we go through chewy mainly for delivery, its tricky to discern which companies are in it for profit only and which actually provide nutritional Benefits for our companions. We always shred carrots into and toss in a few leafy greens in with kibble.
Oh, please don't get me wrong, we haven't used their food in many years, but only cuz my wife gets it close to her work (was at Whole Foods for 30+ prior) at Whole Foods (Lifetime 20% off, baby!!!). I really have no idea the quality and it was never anything special, just good, cheap locally made dog food (with very few, if no recalls, I think). And yes, we supplement our dogs food quite a bit with fresh food(s).

Unless you're smack in the middle of the Adirondacks, I bet you'll have no problem finding any:

@Bologna thats a significant discount! I used to call that place 'whole paycheck' haha.. We are using pro pac now it's fine Cosmo never really complains about eating the same thing twice a day he's good like that.
20210312_132254.jpeg

@momofthegoons orijen is quality but $$$,
@arb, how many bully's did you own?
How's the gimpy ankle?
We kept 4 in the house and did a couple litters a year.
The breed got called American bulldogs and ruined by breeders show clubs just like the pit bull terrier.
My Pops bred pits and I grew up with them knuckleheads........ loves me some game dogs.

American Pit-Bull Terrier = UKC
American Staffordshire Terrier = AKC

All AmStaffs can be APBTs, APBTs CANNOT be AmStaffs (unless they were already registered as AmStaff)

Both breeds are "Pit-Bulls", including a few others..

It's a Kennel club thing... AKC is way more strict about appearance... UKC not anywhere near as rigid (more emphasis on temperament), which is why "Pure" APBTs can be under 40lbs and over 150...

Last edited:
I'm in a year long war with my kitties
They were my mothers before she passed but we got them from the shelter, did the ear mites medicine, anti-biotics and a few other medications to bring them up to speed before leaving them with her
After getting them set they ended up free range feeding meow mix
All became overweight and were inactive
Moved them to Weruva brand and they lost the weight but were not happy with the feeding schedule
I fear another food change will set off a nuclear exchange
They are pissed off and organized!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back