Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
@momofthegoons because it's pressed with a resin it'll get a full length SS condenser keeping any nasties on the outside.
Blackwood ends as usual.
The only reason I can use acrylics, stabilised and these types of blanks is due to the SS set up I use otherwise I'd be avoiding them.
It's got some weight to it and is twice as heavy as Blackwood, polishes like marble.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll admit to being a bit of a vapor snob these days.... And the thought of any glues and bonding materials usually turns me off. But that's just my personal preference.... And I know there are some adhesives that are safe. Not trying to throw shade. :smile:

I'll bet it polishes beautifully. That's one of the reasons I love Cocobolo; the sheen. I love materials that finish sleek like that.

I have to say that Phattpiggies skill in turning these treasures places him in the fine woodworker of functional art category, beautifully made, meant to be used and admired, held and caressed. Stunningly beautiful stems, each and every one.

I took my new stems for a jaunt around the yard to hang out with some favorite flowers. This is the time of year to be outside with every opportunity. Here's a pic of the new family. Each one is more beautiful than last. My favorite keeps changing. They are all fantastic and poorly represented by these pics.
KwthpEk.jpg

Here is a Blackwood Segmented Honey Bee hanging out with another Honey Bee.
fGahJXa.jpg

The tulips are long gone, so this Tulipwood Twist with integrated mp found a clematis instead.
kKs5heo.jpg

Another Honey Bee stem with an exposed condenser. The Honey Bee is totally pearly and iridescent. Really a wonderful material.
nqOsxbg.jpg

Here is a Harry Potter Paduak Twist. The Paduak is so deep and rich and luxurious. The twist is turned in the direction that compliments and somehow assists the twirling action. It's like its magic or something...
tQe02x7.jpg

This Blackwood Telescopic Twist has finely carved sharp twist ridges. It is wonderful to hold and the twist again mirrors the direction of my twirl technique. The Blackwood is such sophisticated wood and finishes to a deep sheen. The mp can be pulled out to expose the condenser and increase the airpath length. It is stunningly beautiful.
QEjtCeU.jpg

And here is the Segmented Honey Bee again hanging out with yet another honey bee busy at work.
TRvx5Zm.jpg

So, then it started to rain so I came inside to hang out with my most favorite flowers of all. CB Dream. Wonderful pain meds.
zMrucaV.jpg

You will notice that the mouthpiece end of the stems are narrower than the Dynavap mps. I really love this smaller mp profile. Very sleek and so comfortable to use. Beautiful and functional.

Thank you Phattpiggie for all your total awesomeness!!!

Last edited:
Sat watching 'Shaft', Samuel L Shaft, Mrs. PP has never seen it. Rather never stayed awake thru it.
Mrs.PP. 'You only wanna watch it for the music'
Don't take much to work out the answer to that one........

@momofthegoons since I began this I've had my eyes opened as to what people consider 'safe', I'm trying to be as transparent as possible with everything I'm doing.
I also encourage everyone to do a bit of background on material safety, be it plastic or wood.
If you are at all sensitive to anything look it up.
http://www.wood-database.com/
I personally use and send out a hemp seed oil and beeswax wood finish as I figured it was the least problematic.
I would hate for a wood or my finish to give someone 'Nutty Professor' lips.

Garden looks full on @Squiby enjoy it while you can.
Fantastic picture, thank you so much.
GiT1C4H.jpg

Had a good couple of days, been busy working out other social media shit, IG. My brain ain't wired up for that kind of thing.
But it can do this type of thing.
Birds Eye Maple coned, taped and set out ready for the file.
Hbkf7FY.jpg

Some time later.....
qbvyH25.jpg

140mm Figured Walnut
HmWlTXf.jpg

173'ish mm Blackwood, Tasmanian Myrtle Burl with brass Daddy Long Toke
ON8DEtL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Amboyna burl before and after a final shape and couple of coats of wood finish.
8GMR9Hs.jpg

SaGHwHI.jpg

Betel nuts turned up yesterday so I roughed some out and there natural shape led to something every lathe owner should have turned once or twice.
01qLLqn.jpg

They turn and polish lovely, Padauk stem mushy 45mm.
H7zSmtc.jpg

And of course a stem Blackwood and Betel Nut, 105mm. They are very porous and require a bit of extra work to try and keep clean.
HgtcGXk.jpg

I don't know where to start I've had a hard time with a supplier who's fried my head with his lack of communications and if it wasn't for the fact that he is the only UK supplier of M3 Metal blanks I've had washed my hands of him. He put a bit of a downer on the situation for me as to order them from the States means a $63 shipping cost, FFS.
Anyways he came thru and was very apologetic and as we had a conversation it turned out he has a full time job as well as selling blanks.
He's only a bloody policeman lol, he won't be meeting Phattpiggie and I will have to skirt around conversations concerning what I do.
So how about a bit of M3 Metal, a 100mm Blackwood with brass Red and Gold Lava, the BW has some fantastic chocolate colors in it.
zG3zrCg.jpg

BW with aluminium Black and Cobaltium Lava
qBoKIAu.jpg

I had 2 deliveries of blanks which was good.
Top to bottom, Cherry and then a Thuya Burl, Figured Mango, Lava Explosion and Blue River acrylics, Buffalo Horn and another Cobaltium M3.
z2hwLk1.jpg

And these ones, I was hoping the grain would remain when I turned the top Osage one
QVNPdDe.jpg

It did next to a Chakte Kok
T0aEVvO.jpg

I keep taking group shots to remind me of what it is exactly I'm doing
jOTaypI.jpg

Enjoy the holidays which ever part of the continent you're on.

One in, one out, jigs are a lifesaver. Time lost making them is made up ten fold.
eO0ijZn.jpg

How about a lighter coloured wood for a change, this was destined to be Blackwood and Blue River acrylic but the person it's destined for asked if the Birds Eye Maple I have would work.
It's turned out pretty well.
HsYr4Qa.jpg

And it all looks better after a fone upgrade 13MP camera is way better.
DYSptdR.jpg

@Aezhenn many thanks.
So far the feedback on the longer stems has been good.

They perform differently to the shorter ones and to be fair I'm not sure why.

I've tried to explain it and the best I can come up with is the extra length combined with the narrow diameter seems to accelerate the vapour which helps to pull more thru the tip and cap.

I got my package from @phattpiggie this week and I am extremely excited. Below are two pics of the body and stem for the @Pipes project. They line up beautifully from the same blank. I'm not sure which I am happier with at this point, pp's quality of work/attention to detail, or his customer service. He was extremely patient with me while I changed my mind multiple times during the process. I also got a vapcap square stem which will get its own post at some point later. I love that one in its own right, but I am highlighting the eraser body/stem with these pics. At first I thought it had a bit of a "finger" feel with the "knuckle" on the stem. However, I am now leaning toward the Harry Potter wand vibe. "Five inches, cocobolo with a stainless steel core." If Harry had just sat down with one of these and some Death Eaters, I think they all would have just been Eaters after a while. :mental::rofl:
HbL8usp.jpg

tZNavuS.jpg

Shipping to Canada is a nightmare, USPS let's you track all the way, Canada Post just disappears when it lands over there.
Glad they arrived safe and sound @fluffhead.

Three things here for you, when I cut the Cherry Burl down for a pen blank I squared off the edges leaving a 'corner', ran it over the belt sander and gave it a lick of polish.
78sbVl9.jpg

I've collected a few bit, a lot smaller than this one, it's hard to bin any bits when they are so pretty. This one is for the friend who drops off interesting bits and pieces.

The Walnut Induction Heater 'power bank' is nearly there, just got to decide if I go for magnets or an antique leather strap.
Batteries in my pocket, a thinner more flexible cable and a nice wood surround for the heater and I should be good to go if beer garden VC'ing.
2SKMbik.jpg

Also had a go at an 'off centre' platter. Everything is bouncing around due to the imbalance.

QynjM4W.jpg

The air has hot, humid and full of Thunder Flies, cutting corn at the moment, doing this Blackwood Telescopic with a Twist was great fun, sodding things crawling all over me.
0tODe1w.jpg
wY8VLWW.jpg

Three more stems to get done and it'll all start over. I'll make sure and give people plenty of notice and time when I begin taking anything new on.

There are some great things going on in the background and I was blown away by one of the pieces I saw on IG this week.
It's took a bit of logistical work to sort out but I am really looking forward to getting some absolutely stunning pieces of art.
Unreal VC stems.

I put the final two stems together today, turned them round and tomorrow will they will get finished up. The Bog Oak is looking like it'll need sharp chisels and various grade of grit to get them smooth.
zXJM3LT.jpg

IeFfgrA.jpg

Tomorrow is my first anniversary in the Shed, it's been a very 'interesting' time.
New list will get under way tomorrow and I'll explain how it works.

Today marks the first anniversary of Phattpiggies Wood Shed and it's been an eye opener.
Great fun but scary at the same time.
Everyone has been great and it's been a pleasure, I can't thank everyone enough for their support and encouragement.

And toady I'm ready to start taking on new orders.
This is how I ran the list last time and it worked well so I shall been doing it the same way.

I shall be leaving all the conversation and my inbox will be cleared tonight, the date of our original contact relates to your place on the list.

No messages will be showing my side so you must contact me with the original PM not a new one.

There is going to be plenty of time for folk to get back to me as I am well aware not everyone is here daily, weekly or in some cases monthly.
This gives everyone who's been in touch a fair chance.

I'm on here, FC and IG and have had enquiries on all three, I've no idea what's coming so cannot offer any kind of time scale, patience is all I ask and when it's your turn we will be in communication.

Any and all ideas and suggestions are more than welcome.
I've been asked about an alternative to Paypal and can pass on my banking details for any one who'd prefer.
Paypal may well catch up with me at some point but I'll cross that bridge as and when, after all I sell 'pen stems'.

Once again thank you.

Had a couple of days 'nannying' a friend who's house is falling to pieces around him, which kinda threw my turning a bit.

Back at it and I turn a piece too thin, which made me swear a lot.
It's only wood and acrylic so I stop that and do another job.

If I'm not feeling it then I have to turn away and set to on one of the many bits and bobs that need working thru.

Had some good response for new orders, I'll keep the list open for a bit longer and then it all starts over.

The break is giving me time to build up some stock.
Some 150mm'ish stems, all with a 4mm sleeve inside to catch the crud.
gB0EwKC.jpg

Left to right
Osage Orange, Figured Walnut, Pink Ivory, Cocbolo, Yew, Macsar Birch, Goncalo Alves, Padauk, Tasmanian Figured Blackwood and Ovangkol.
And here's how I gently persuade 145mm of 4mm tube into a piece of wood.

As you can see some of the blanks like to take the drill bit for a little wonder around. All good at the point of entry...
Td49nItm.jpg
03O8p9pm.jpg

You end up centering again and it looks like this, you can see how much has to taken off for it to be correct. All worth the effort when they get put in their packaging.
efFHuK3m.jpg
lPCTtbvm.jpg

I bought this and am in the middle of working the internals out, now it's in bit's I can see how it'll come together
yc49CUZ.jpg

I'll get an induction heater in one side and some storage type thing in the other.
HPuU0EJ.jpg

Also got these done
Blackwood, brass and green acrylic stem starts life like this
nySancE.jpg

All gets screwed together and turned into a cylinder
CLEEnZq.jpg

After a bit of chisel love and a caress with some 600 and 1200 grit paper this is where they ended up, I'll get some video as these pictures don't show the 3D quality this acrylic has.
JLDOlyd.jpg

GlFg044.jpg

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back