Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tips Pre-Heating the herb

ddave

Accessory Maker
Greetings VA,

To those who have little time, I'll start by saying "Don't do it!". Please read on if time permits.

So after receiving yet another inquiry this morning relating to whether or not one should pre-heat their herb before vaporizing it, I had to post and see about debunking this practice.

Well, unless you're a huge fan of Burnt Popcorn Flavor.

IMHO, preheating the herb itself (not your vaporizer, which is a good thing) gives no benefits and is actually detrimental to the overall experience for two reasons. The killing of any good herb flavor is one of them.

The other is that you end up coating your vaporizer internals with the goodies, instead of receiving them when you inhale. Don't get me wrong, you won't lose all the goodies to getting stuck to your glass or vaporizer, but you'll lose some regardless.

Just being in the presence of heated air somewhere above 160C will cause trichomes exposed to this air to burst. They do not all burst at once (if they did, every vaporizer would be a one hit quitter), but do so gradually. Micro-bursts of trichomes push previously generated vapor outwards, some of which ends up stuck to you glass. Regardless of the amount, why let it happen at all... Especially taking the first point (negative impact to flavor) into consideration.

DISCLAIMERS & Etc:
  • 160C Temperature mentioned above is subjective and can depend on your individual vaporizer's accuracy in gaining true herb oven temperature in relation to it's setting or displayed temperature.

• These claims were tested using an Arizer EQ and an Arizer Solo. Though the principles should apply across the almost across the board.

• If using moist herb in a vaporizer, all bets are off. Yeah, you'll dry off the herb that way, but session will not be as good as it could be if the herb was dry.

• Some of you already know this, whether from experience or advice. If it's true, back the claim.

• I am not the end authority on all things Cannabis. Just someone who takes special notice of differences, and what caused them to occur. I also happen to really love the flavors and variety of our herb, so definitely take notice to anything that zaps flavor.

Now with saying all that, and adding disclaimers to hopefully keep this topic on topic, I ask you.....

Take away this information and further your enjoyment of vaporizing or convince me otherwise.

Later,
Dave @ DDaveMods.com

Greetings VA,

To those who have little time, I'll start by saying "Don't do it!". Please read on if time permits.

So after receiving yet another inquiry this morning relating to whether or not one should pre-heat their herb before vaporizing it, I had to post and see about debunking this practice.

Well, unless you're a huge fan of Burnt Popcorn Flavor.

IMHO, preheating the herb itself (not your vaporizer, which is a good thing) gives no benefits and is actually detrimental to the overall experience for two reasons. The killing of any good herb flavor is one of them.

The other is that you end up coating your vaporizer internals with the goodies, instead of receiving them when you inhale. Don't get me wrong, you won't lose all the goodies to getting stuck to your glass or vaporizer, but you'll lose some regardless.

Just being in the presence of heated air somewhere above 160C will cause trichomes exposed to this air to burst. They do not all burst at once (if they did, every vaporizer would be a one hit quitter), but do so gradually. Micro-bursts of trichomes push previously generated vapor outwards, some of which ends up stuck to you glass. Regardless of the amount, why let it happen at all... Especially taking the first point (negative impact to flavor) into consideration.

DISCLAIMERS & Etc:
  • 160C Temperature mentioned above is subjective and can depend on your individual vaporizer's accuracy in gaining true herb oven temperature in relation to it's setting or displayed temperature.

• These claims were tested using an Arizer EQ and an Arizer Solo. Though the principles should apply across the almost across the board.

• If using moist herb in a vaporizer, all bets are off. Yeah, you'll dry off the herb that way, but session will not be as good as it could be if the herb was dry.

• Some of you already know this, whether from experience or advice. If it's true, back the claim.

• I am not the end authority on all things Cannabis. Just someone who takes special notice of differences, and what caused them to occur. I also happen to really love the flavors and variety of our herb, so definitely take notice to anything that zaps flavor.

Now with saying all that, and adding disclaimers to hopefully keep this topic on topic, I ask you.....

Take away this information and further your enjoyment of vaporizing or convince me otherwise.

Later,
Dave @ DDaveMods.com

I think for the most part I agree, but if you load a mighty or similar style vape without a capsule, there's no getting around pre heating the herb.

And idk about dry herb vrs moist. What would you say is too moist?

I personally like using the 62% humidity packs, and only grind a days worth of herb at one time to keep it fresh.

Dry herb makes me cough (asthma)

And idk about dry herb vrs moist. What would you say is too moist?

I personally like using the 62% humidity packs, and only grind a days worth of herb at one time to keep it fresh.

Dry herb makes me cough (asthma)
For my own use, any (water) moisture is too much. I know I'm gonna dodge some tomatoes for saying this, but when I re-up my supply... I leave it uncapped in my garage for a few days if it's hot, up to a week if it's cold, to ensure dryness.

I can cough from the herb as well. Most of my own gear has some sort of cooling system to lessen or avoid coughing.

I recently secured a video producer with the intention of not only video presentations of my own offerings, but also cannabis educational and vaping tip related content.... I've definitely made note to get a video on "Impact to your Vaping Sessions", which will include both Pre-Heating vs. Not Pre-Heating comparisons as well as measured vapor production from various levels of moisture.

I leave it uncapped in my garage for a few days if it's hot, up to a week if it's cold, to ensure dryness.
Bloody heathen, I spend months curing my bud to 60 to 63% humidity, you would definitely need water filtering with that dry dust. That sort of thing had to be done to make piss-weak vapes work at all, like a MFLB, grind the dry weed to dust so it will vaporize.
OK, I have run out of tomatoes and will just say,
Each to their own, we all like our own preferences, but avoid the heat soak unless you are chasing clouds, not flavour.

Isn't this indicative of herb being too moist? Lack of produced vapor.

(Not arguing, asking). :)
I do not delieve so, I believe it is getting all the material up to vaping temperature then just add oxygen to vaporize all at once rather than pulling the heat through the load to heat it to the vaporizing temps.

For my own use, any (water) moisture is too much. I know I'm gonna dodge some tomatoes for saying this, but when I re-up my supply... I leave it uncapped in my garage for a few days if it's hot, up to a week if it's cold, to ensure dryness.

I can cough from the herb as well. Most of my own gear has some sort of cooling system to lessen or avoid coughing.

I recently secured a video producer with the intention of not only video presentations of my own offerings, but also cannabis educational and vaping tip related content.... I've definitely made note to get a video on "Impact to your Vaping Sessions", which will include both Pre-Heating vs. Not Pre-Heating comparisons as well as measured vapor production from various levels of moisture.
A video producer! This is exciting news! I can't wait to see what's next.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back