Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Meds Psychoactive Herbs (other than cannabis)

@ClearBlueLou I have been reading this thread and everyone's comments, including yours with interest. I used to make Fire Cider in the fall and took a daily shot, straight up, faithfully every morning as an immune stimulant and preventative. I haven't made it now for a few years. The horseradish was home grown and the rest of the ingredients were purchased oganics. The recipe I used was Rosemary Gladstar's who I believe was the originator of the concoction. It was strong stuff and it put a spring in my step! I'd start it the beginning of Sept and would begin taking a daily dose around the end of November. I kept the chopped up ingredients chunky. I like your blending approach to increase the extraction.

I read an interview with Gladstar(?) and got the impression she merged several older, semi-traditional recipes, but however she came by it, I love the stuff. So much so, that after doing all that fresh reading, I was inspired to start a couple new jars of it - wasabi instead of horseradish - and discovered the local boondocks grocery actually had fresh turmeric root! So of course I had to drop some of that in...Aaand just finished the jars with green cardamom pods, fresh rosemary, stick cinnamon. Nice to be in the kitchen again for a minute.

She may well have, I'm just quoting from memory. The first I learned of Fire Cider was when I took an herbal medicine course from her, maybe 15 years ago. Herbalism is an old and ancient tradition and there are no new remedies, really, they are only adaptations. The one caveat is to choose ingredients that support your intent and whose medicinal qualities readily extract in vinegar.

It is very surprising that sweet flag - Acorus calamus is prohibited in the US by FDA since swingin' 60-ies. This one is considered "weed of eloquence" in North India and Pakistan. I spoke to a seer there, he said to use roots and you make water tincture. The smell is very fresh, and it is like a suble mind-clearer, nothing toxic. I do not understand why it is still prohibited. It is often found in the south down the river banks. I saw it on Missouri.

I miss having salvia. I usually purchased the concentrate because you can smoke plain leaff all day and nothing will happen.

It's not just the immediate effect either, which was generally pretty profound to me, but also the come-down which was relaxing.

To anyone who hasn't had the opportunity to try it, it is very intense and very brief. I would describe it as similar to great sex....I know, weird, but true.

Too bad a few fools on YouTube had to ruin it for the rest of us.

On my bucket list is "do salvia again soon."
Those those who are fearful about its intensity but curious, I suggest nothing stronger than 5x concentrate.
The site that I've bought from that I recommend is arenaethnobotanicals.com.
I find 5x to be perfect because it's not overwhelming or scary, but you get the profound trip experience.
I've heard that you can vape it with a SSV at full blast, but in general it should be smoked from a bong with water, with a torch lighter.
Expect to immediately discorporate from your body upon exhale, so have the set and setting worked out beforehand, including and especially the music.
I find Indian raga music perfect, also Grateful Dead is very good.
Also expect to be compelled to lie down with eyes closed until it's over, the lights should be dimmed,
and the trip will last about 20 minutes.

It's not a fun or party thing to do.

I'm not aware of any dependency or side effect issues.

Salvia divinorum is a well known psychoactive herb, but is quite potent and has some serious side effects, as well as potential for dependence if used regularly. I would not recommend it as a "high", but if someone is looking for a legal out of body/mind experience to kind of cleanse their mental pallet, an expanding of the mind experience, it might be of interest. Fair warning, it can be quite intense, recommend a friend and a controlled setting. Just be sure you read up a bit on Erowid before you choose to dive in.

Personally, I tend to like experimenting with dream herbs. Nothing really overwhelming, but enhanced vividity and dream recall can be an amazing experience! Mind you, these improve dreams, not sleep quality.

I have heard of salviy divinorum but never tried. But from all you read/see on the Internet about it, I would't recommend to consume it or even consume it myself.

This here sounds exciting:

I've had mushrooms several times but it was decades ago. They were always a very pleasant experience. If I were to delve back keto psychedelic drugs, it would most likely be mushroons.

Interestingly, we've reached a new horizon with psychoactive drugs being used with talk therapy! Actually, it's a bit of a return to what was happening during the 1950s and first half of the 1960s. In fact, about 6 or 7 years ago there was a well-documented and supervised trial with terminal cancer patients and psilocybin up in New York City at some major hospitals. You can read and even watch some YouTubes regarding their experiences if you like.

What's happening now is something called integrative psychoactive therapy (IPT, I think it's called). Young, progressive MSWs, and in some cases psychologists, are having their patients acquire the psychoactive substances on their own through a third party, the patient then sets the time and date with instructions from the therapist, takes the substance, hopefully enjoys the trip, and then the next day reports back to the therapist to "integrate" the psychoactive experience with their individual lives and circumstances. If you can believe what you read many people are having amazing progress in their therapy. Some have been to talk therapy for 5 to 10 years with little or no progress but they take some psilocybin and then it's, bada bing bada boom, MAJOR PROGRESS! And that scenario is playing out all over our country, not just on the east and west coast but in the midwest as well including Ohio and Michigan as a matter of fact.

Actually, I've been looking into it for 6 or 7 years now and hoping to get hooked up with a group or an individual practitioner who might help me make this happen in my own case given I have terminal cancer. I have reservations however, not the least of which is about sourcing the substance, it's purity, and it's accurate dosage.

Back in 1972-1973, as an undergrad at a university in Ohio, I pursued this area of "research" with a professor on campus who was a PhD in Mycology. He also had lots of experience with The Sunshine People out of New York. I Incorporated the psychoactive substances with meditation practice to see where things would go. I did this for about a year and a half and ultimately reached a rather amazing and culminating therapeutic trip, so to speak.

After that final experience, I had no more need for psychoactive substances. Instead, in October, 1974, I regrettably pursued a spiritual teacher out on the West Coast of Northern California that turned out to be just another American-style Guru asshole trying to take advantage of his devotees . So I returned to Ohio in 1975 and went back to school, wondering what the hell was next in my life. And so it went.

But now, my life circumstances are radically changed once again, so I've been giving IPT serious re-consideration.

What do you all think? Under the right circumstances would you pursue IPT?

1663781056775.png

In fact, about 6 or 7 years ago there was a well-documented and supervised trial with terminal cancer patients and psilocybin up in New York City at some major hospitals. You can read and even watch some YouTubes regarding their experiences if you like.
I saw that documentary and the positive benefits reported by the patients were astonishing. Their attitude and perspective became more positive and peaceful which allowed them to focus on living in the moment in a more meaningful way.

Absolutely I would.

I've had mushrooms several times but it was decades ago. They were always a very pleasant experience. If I were to delve back keto psychedelic drugs, it would most likely be mushroons.

I have also had mushrooms some times. The last- after many years - was two days ago. More about my experiences with mushrooms below.

What's happening now is something called integrative psychoactive therapy (IPT, I think it's called). Young, progressive MSWs, and in some cases psychologists, are having their patients acquire the psychoactive substances on their own through a third party, the patient then sets the time and date with instructions from the therapist, takes the substance, hopefully enjoys the trip, and then the next day reports back to the therapist to "integrate" the psychoactive experience with their individual lives and circumstances. If you can believe what you read many people are having amazing progress in their therapy. Some have been to talk therapy for 5 to 10 years with little or no progress but they take some psilocybin and then it's, bada bing bada boom, MAJOR PROGRESS! And that scenario is playing out all over our country, not just on the east and west coast but in the midwest as well including Ohio and Michigan as a matter of fact.

Yes, I also know about it. It has also become a new self-therapy trend to use microdosing. Apparently, there are lots of benefits.
As @momofthegoons drew my attention to @Kellya86's experience with psylocibin as a treatment, psylocibin seem to really have lots of benefits and as you also said it is being also used in the psychoactive therapy.

I take this opportunity to express my admiration for @Kellya86 's efforts and extraordinary commitment to his dear mother. Since his thread is a very specific and personal case, I didn't consider it appropriate to post there because I am more talking about mushrooms for recreational use :freak:

View attachment 40187
Absolutely I would.

Me too!

And now briefly about my experience with mushrooms.
I had already had some LSD trips before trying mushrooms. I can surely say that I prefer mushrooms to LSD.
The LSD trip is surely intense and can be great but you feel the chemical in it and when the effect wears off it might leave you down and shattered. In fact, the When the effect of the mushrooms (psylocibin) wears off it leaves a nice, relaxing feeling.

During my last trip to Europe, I popped over to Amsterdam, you know:cool:...
I bought these ones:

I consumed them two days ago. It was GREAT!:dancing:

I wanted to buy some more but it seems that they deliver only within Europe. You can also buy grow kits. I wonder if there are dispensaries which deliver worldwide.

I wanted to buy some more but it seems that they deliver only within Europe. You can also buy grow kits. I wonder if there are dispensaries which deliver worldwide.

Good question! Worth a phone call perhaps?

I think psilocybin is now legal in Oregon... I wonder if one might be able to receive shipment here in the Midwest by placing an order in Oregon? I mean, just talking theoretically, of course. Certainly I'm not suggesting anyone attempt to break laws in their state!

Good question! Worth a phone call perhaps?

I think psilocybin is now legal in Oregon... I wonder if one might be able to receive shipment here in the Midwest by placing an order in Oregon? I mean, just talking theoretically, of course. Certainly I'm not suggesting anyone attempt to break laws in their state!

Admittedly, it is not clear to me, what it is actually meant with being legal/illegal. It appears to me a bit like an arbitrary interpretation!?
In fact, according to Wikipedia on the legal status of psylocibin, many are the countries in which possession or sale is considered illegal, nevertheless the official dispensaries from the Netherlands deliver everywhere in Europe - where psylocin is illegal. Perhaps they only deliver in Europe for reasons of convenience.
Otherwise I wonder what the difference is with other countries in the world.

Last edited:
Manoj Doss’ interest in psychedelics stems from his interest in human memory, and in particular reconsolidation – reactivating memories to make them more fluid in order to help patients suffering from disorders like depression and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

“Unfortunately, reconsolidation paradigms in humans have not exactly led to clinical breakthroughs, but one reason may be that complex memories maintained over several years are not easily rendered labile,” Doss says.

That’s where psychedelics could come into play, by potentially inducing plasticity in the cortex.

But before scientists can test psychedelics’ role in reconsolidation, they first need to better understand how the drugs affect various aspects of memory. In a preprint analysis, Doss will be presenting at the CNS meeting, he and colleagues looked at 10 datasets from studies investigating how psychedelics influence episodic memory.

They found that while psychedelics such as psilocybin and MDMA impair the encoding of memories that rely on recalling specific details, they can enhance the encoding of memories that rely on familiarity. This differs from hallucinogens like ketamine, which appear to impair both types of memory encoding.

“Interestingly, non-drug studies have found that when recollection fails and familiarity is high, peculiar phenomena emerge, reminiscent of someone on psychedelics, such as déjà vu and premonition,” Doss explains.
“Although psychedelics may actually help some come to tangible insights, much of the psychedelic experience might be turning up the gain of such feelings of familiarity or insight, and like non-drug studies that can induce such feelings through cognitive manipulations, these feelings can potentially be misattributed to unrelated stimuli or ideas, giving rise to false memories and illusory insights.”
The new work suggests that psychedelics may enable the brain to bypass or minimize the need for the hippocampus. The hippocampus is thought to help mediate how the cortex learns with more “permanent” memories arising from regular representations across episodic memories.
This shows psychedelic trees
Cognitive neuroscientists are bringing new rigor to the field, using behavioral and clinical studies to investigate the cognitive effects of psychedelic drugs. Image is in the public domain

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back