1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. You can now add Instagram posts to your replies by pasting the IG url.
    Dismiss Notice

Puffco!

Discussion in 'Concentrate Vaporizers' started by Vinson Puffco, Mar 21, 2017.

1. herbivore21

herbivore21 The Asylum's Scientist and Safety Advisor

Excellent review my friend! I really agree with your points about pricing.

One thing that stands out to me here is that whilst the Peak is an all in one offering (your rig and vaporizer are providing all together in one package), I have read in that other forum where I used to post that a number of users have experienced one, or even multiple failures of the heater in their Puffco peak. This should not be surprising, and this is not necessarily an indictment of Puffco: We gotta be real here, pen style heaters are just not generally as durable and reliable as enail style heaters. My source nail atomizers died within minutes/days of use respectively!

However, by comparison, an enail setup and rig (which can be had cheaper, as you pointed out) is generally very reliable and will not have problems in the foreseeable future. Even the heaters, a consumable item, do not require frequent replacement at all. I've used the same enail coil for 3+ years in some cases!

I can appreciate that from a cursory marketing point of view, initially one may think that it is fair to price the Peak similarly to an entire enail + dab rig combo since the Peak is an all in one device. However, frankly, it is not reasonable from my consumer's perspective to spend that amount of money unless the product in question provides similar reliability and durability to those comparably priced enail + rig setups.

I think that the Peak looks wonderful, it is legitimately a new product that fills an important niche - we might expect the first gen of such a product to be a bit unreasonably expensive. However, I hope that future iterations will reduce the price or at least improve reliability to be comparable to similarly priced enail products. :twocents:

2. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Absolutely so...its is just a larger ceramic plate heater element in there...but they did make the atomizer section owner replaceable (for...maybe $40!! :yikes: LOL)

I have not heard of failures but really don't know that many people with the Peak (yet?).

Yep, when Braun, Black and Decker, and Mr Coffee get into the business we will see prices come down significantly on this type of integrated appliance. Now, whether I live long enough to see that is another story! haha

3. mvapes

mvapes Member

Hey guys, I finally got my hands on a Peak. I have to say, this is one of the most impressive vapes I've seen. I has 4 temp settings, blue (coldest), green (medium), red (high), and white (hell). I have issues dabbing at time because it hurts. I end up hacking andd choking and by the time I;m ready to hit again everything in my banger is burnt. For that reason I stick with blue. After it's initial charge (2hrs) it's honestly as simple as this.

• Fill and mount water filter.
    • Place material into the ceramic bowl. (My dabs are typically the size of a pen tip.
    • Place quartz cap over your bowl.
    • Click the only button on the device twice. And after about 20 seconds the unit will lightly vibrate letting it know your meds are ready.
    • Inhale until vapor stops!
    Seriously, thats it! I let mine charge while I sleep and that gets me an entire day without a plug. I've also learned that the unit can be used while plugged in as well.

A couple things to keep in mind. That single dab gets me about 4 to 5 hits on each dab. Half way through your initial draw you'll fell a light vibration. This is to let you know that the heater unit has turned itself off. This is why between that initial draw and the last bit of vapor taste the same. Now of course there's maintenence, qtip the bowl after each use and when need be you'll have relace the atomizer.

I know the price tag is a much, it is for all us. But look for sales and specials because this ones a keeper. Easiest session I've ever had.

Oh and btw, numerous glass are already making glass adapters for the peak. I've even seen quartz and ruby inserts.

4. herbivore21

herbivore21 The Asylum's Scientist and Safety Advisor

Excellent to hear feedback from you here bro - I hope that you are yours are very well!

It is good to hear that the unit can be used while charging too! I wonder, have you tried to use it while charging when the battery is flat btw? If that is possible, that is impressive in something that uses USB charging!

The device sounds very straightforward to use and I think that this form factor is going to make dabbing more accessible to a lot of people.

This is a compromise that I'd be happy to accept, if the dab takes a little longer to finish, I'm cool with that so long as the flavor remains great. Sounds like it ticks those boxes! :biggrin:

I will keep an eye out for specials no doubt, I'd love the chance to check this unit out and the price issue is the only thing that could possibly stop me from doing so :weed:

I've noticed this too, I hear there are SiC inserts that also work apparently! Although I did read that YMMV when using these inserts, additional heat-up time etc can be required due to the thermal properties of the different materials. Still, I'm so pleased to hear that we are now getting dab portables that allow us to use truly next-gen materials like SiC and ruby :biggrin::weed: Even if this vape ends up having a limited appeal at first due to the price, I think that this is the start of a positive development in vaporizers in the long run. I could imagine most people who dab using units like this in the future. :twocents:

I am glad that they did make this component replaceable, I must say! I do think that I would probably end up checking out these after market dishes if I ended up getting one in any case - it'd be wonderful to get a SiC dish for it!

5. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

I passed my unit along to another patient.
    I had never used other than the original cup... never even had tried the extra cup they send.
    The patient that now owns the unit has had it over two weeks, and has also not yet used the spare ceramic cup.
    He uses the peak more often than I did, as his main tool, and reports that he is still very happy with it's performance.

BD9, invertedisdead, Baron23 and 2 others like this.
  6. momofthegoons

momofthegoons Nurse Ratched Staff Member

BD9 likes this.
  7. nosmoking

nosmoking Member

I would imagine a counterfeit is going to be just about as good as the real thing conaidering the Peak is made in China. Its probably the same manufacturer even. The device itself is rather simple. Its a ceramic plate heated by 4 different algorithms that could easily be replicated. I would rather buy direct from Puffco, however they have a price range that does not match the production costs of their product. They must have a 200% mark up or more with the asking price. Its like the Puffco Plus. It really only costs about $15 to make one complete device. You used to be able to buy clones of the Plus atty at close to cost at The Moon (a LHS in DC) until they stopped making them.

BD9 and momofthegoons like this.
  8. momofthegoons

momofthegoons Nurse Ratched Staff Member

The glassblower that put this information up is on Instagram and goes by the name of boro_mojo. He implied that it was the same factory.

When the Peak first came out I thought it was a bit expensive. If a counterfeit can be made of it, even if it uses cheaper materials, and sold for this much lower it stands to reason that the profit margin is pretty large for Puffco.

nosmoking and BD9 like this.
  9. BD9

BD9 Leaf Dawg

10. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

Perhaps as in the case of the Fury 2... the unit is sold non exclusively to buyers....
    Healthy Rips was first to market the Fury 2, but they did not pay for exclusivity.
    Perhaps this is the case with Puffco Peak, and they are inviting all comers to the party, if they buy enough.

momofthegoons likes this.

Proudly sponsored by

PuffItUp
VapeFully
Dynavap
Vaposhop