Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy R.I.P

He was an amazing songwriter, and as soulful a singer as you could want, a terrific sideman and a brilliant producer.

Now I think about it, he was somewhat the Prince of his day: prolific, terrific, and everywhere, better than we stopped to realize - out there in Oklahoma with no distractions and one hell of a muse, he gave me some of my favorite musical moments.

I always liked this guy in the movies.

Danny Aiello, 'Do The Right Thing' star, dead at 86

Veteran film actor Danny Aiello, known for his roles in "Do The Right Thing" and "The Godfather Part II," has died. He was 86.

Reps for Aiello told Fox News the actor died Thursday night.

"It is with profound sorrow to report that Danny Aiello, beloved husband, father, grandfather, actor and musician passed away last night after a brief illness," his manager Tracy Miller told us.

"The family asks for privacy at this time. Service arrangements will be announced at a later date."

Per TMZ, who was first to report the news, the actor’s family said he died at a medical facility in New Jersey where he was being treated for a sudden illness. The outlet reports that he was dealing with an infection related to an injection site and died shortly after his family left following a visit.

‘ALICE’ STAR LINDA LAVIN REACTS TO TV SON PHILIP MCKEON’S DEATH: ‘HE TAUGHT ME HOW TO BE A GOOD MOM’

Portrait of American actor Danny Aiello, in costume (as 'Sal') smiles as he poses on the set of the film 'Do the Right Thing' (directed by Spike Lee), New York, 1989.

Portrait of American actor Danny Aiello, in costume (as 'Sal') smiles as he poses on the set of the film 'Do the Right Thing' (directed by Spike Lee), New York, 1989. (Anthony Barboza/Getty Images)
The veteran of stage and film got his big break in the early 1970s in the Robert De Niro-led baseball drama “Bang the Drum Slowly.” However, he is perhaps best known for his role as Sal the pizza guy in Spike Lee’s 1989 film “Do The Right Thing” for which he earned an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor.

COMEDIAN CHRIS COTTON DEAD AT 32

Cinema fans may also recognize Aiello from his role in “The Godfather Part II,” where he played Tony Rosato, the man who uttered the now-famous line: “Michael Corleone says hello!"

His breakthrough was as the hapless lover dumped by Cher in Norman Jewison's hit comedy "Moonstruck." His disillusion contributed to the laughter, and although he wasn't nominated for a supporting-role Oscar (Cher and Olympia Dukakis won in their categories), Aiello was inundated with movie offers.

In this June 29, 2009 file photo, Director Spike Lee, right, and actor Danny Aiello attend a special 20th anniversary screening of Do the Right Thing, in New York.

In this June 29, 2009 file photo, Director Spike Lee, right, and actor Danny Aiello attend a special 20th anniversary screening of "Do the Right Thing", in New York. (AP)
"Living in New York City gave me training for any role," he said in a 1997 interview. "I've seen people killed, knifed. I've got scars on my face. I have emotional recall when I work; the idea is simply to recreate it. I've seen it and experienced it. I've played gangsters, teachers but most of my work has been in the police area. And for that I'm adored by the police in New York City."

‘ALICE’ STAR LINDA LAVIN REACTS TO TV SON PHILIP MCKEON’S DEATH: ‘HE TAUGHT ME HOW TO BE A GOOD MOM’

Among his other movies: "Fort Apache, the Bronx" (as a cop who threw a boy from a building), "Once Upon a Time in America," "Harlem Nights," "Jack Ruby" (as Ruby) and"City Hall." He also appeared in TV miniseries, including "The Last Don," "A Woman Named Jackie" and in the 1985-86 police series "Lady Blue."

In this April 28, 1981 file photo, Actor Danny Aiello hugs actress Beatrice Arthur at a party following their opening performance in Woody Allen's play, The Floating Lightbulb, in New York.

In this April 28, 1981 file photo, Actor Danny Aiello hugs actress Beatrice Arthur at a party following their opening performance in Woody Allen's play, "The Floating Lightbulb," in New York. (AP)
Daniel Louis Aiello Jr. was born June 20, 1933, to Italian parents. His father, a laborer, left the family of seven children, and Daniel started working at age 9 selling newspapers, working in a grocery store and bowling alley, shining shoes and loading trucks. In his teenage years, he joined a street gang and, he claimed, engaged in burglary and safe-cracking. He dropped out of high school before graduating, got married in 1955 and joined the Army.

After three years in the service, he worked at several factory jobs, landing as a baggage man at Greyhound. The ambitious Aiello rose to become president of the transit union.

CHILD ACTOR AND BALLET DANCER JACK BURNS DEAD AT 14

In this July 28, 2001 file photo, Danny Aiello poses for a photo at Gigino restaurant in New York.

In this July 28, 2001 file photo, Danny Aiello poses for a photo at Gigino restaurant in New York. (AP)
"I wanted to become a politician," he told a reporter in 1995. "I always thought that I could talk, that people liked me, that I can represent them." But when Greyhound accused him of starting a wildcat strike and the union leaders agreed, Aiello quit his job.

He worked at one job after another, and in 1970 was hired as a bouncer at the New York comedy club, Improvisation. One night, he was asked to act as an assistant emcee. "It was no big deal; it was just 'Danny, go up and announce the acts,'" he recalled in 1997. "There was a little bantering between acts, and I kept that short. I was terrified."

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Aiello, the blue-collar character actor whose long career playing tough guys included roles in “Fort Apache, the Bronx,” The Godfather, Part II, “Once Upon a Time in America” and his Oscar-nominated performance as a pizza man in Spike Lee’s Do the Right Thing, has died.

Aiello, the blue-collar character actor whose long career playing tough guys included roles in “Fort Apache, the Bronx,” "The Godfather, Part II," “Once Upon a Time in America” and his Oscar-nominated performance as a pizza man in Spike Lee’s "Do the Right Thing," has died. (AP)
Yet Aiello soon branched out, playing small roles in the movies "Bang the Drum Slowly" and "The Godfather, Part II," and as the bartender lead in a musical play "Lamppost Reunion." Starting in 1980 he averaged three films a year, plus appearances in theater and television. Off-Broadway, he appeared in “The Shoemaker” in 2011.

Aiello and his wife, Sandy, lived in Ramsey, New Jersey. He also is survived by three children: Rick, Jamie and Stacy. A fourth son, stuntman and stunt coordinator Danny Aiello III, died in May 2010 of pancreatic cancer.

Ram Dass, Beloved Spiritual Teacher, Has Died

ram-dass-swim.jpg

If there is an enduring figure emblematic of the consciousness revolution of the 1960s and 70s, it is arguably the Harvard professor and LSD researcher-turned-spiritual leader born Richard Alpert but known the world over as Ram Dass. With Timothy Leary, his colleague in the Harvard psychology department, he forever changed a generation of Americans through his explorations with psilocybin, LSD-75, and other psychedelics before reinventing himself as a spiritual teacher and humanitarian—a bhakti yogi with love as his path. When Ram Dass died on Sunday evening, one of the most beloved voices of the counterculture fell silent. He was 88 years old.

It was Leary who famously exhorted American youth to “Turn on, tune in, drop out,” but it was Alpert who became a model of awakening that wasn’t dependent on drugs. Fired from Harvard in 1963 for giving LSD to an undergraduate, Alpert moved to Millbrook, New York, with Leary, who had been fired ostensibly for not showing up for his classes. In Millbrook, the two continued their psychedelic experimentation with an ever-changing cast of psychonauts and acidheads. But in 1967, Alpert, still searching, left for India. There he found his guru, the Hindu sadhu Neem Karoli Baba, known as Maharaj-ji, characteristically wrapped in a blanket and seated on a wooden tucket, a low Indian bed. Curious to see how a spiritual adept would react to LSD, Alpert gave Maharaj-ji a whopping dose. It had zero effect on the holy man. Over the next few years until Maharaj-ji’s death in 1973, Alpert—by then renamed Ram Dass, or Servant of God, by Maharaj-ji—periodically returned to be with his guru. Resettling in America in 1974, he started a new life based on a different kind of turn-on—meditation—and his own synthesis of Buddhist, Hindu, Advaita, and Sufi teachings, and later, Jewish mysticism.

In Be Here Now, Ram Dass‘s first book for the masses, which has sold over 2 million copies since publication in 1971, he offered seekers an engaging, unconventional, slightly zany roadmap for finding a spiritual path and a more enduring connection to higher consciousness than a tab of acid could bring. From then on, in close to a dozen books and countless teachings, retreats, and podcasts, Ram Dass continued to share the wisdom of a journey that had long gone beyond personal transformation to embrace a cosmic worldview and social agenda.

Much of the compassionate service for which Ram Dass became known was in collaboration with others. He launched the Hanuman Foundation to further practical application of the principles and teachings of Neem Karoli Baba—work that continues today through Ram Dass’s Love Serve Remember Foundation. Through Hanuman he also set up the Prison Ashram Project, offering counseling and spiritual practice to the incarcerated, many of whom had contacted Ram Dass after reading Be Here Now.

Inspired by the humane approach to death and dying he had seen in India, Ram Dass was instrumental in co-creating the Living-Dying Project to support caregivers, healthcare professionals, and individuals dealing with terminal illness, and in establishing a hospice and training center in Santa Fe, New Mexico. In 1979, with epidemiologist and Hanuman board member Larry Brilliant and others, Ram Dass founded the Seva Foundation, which works to combat blindness in the Himalayas and provides healthcare there and in other underserved areas of Asia and the Americas. He also helped set up the Social Venture Network to explore ways to bring spiritual awareness to business and served on the board of Creating Our Future, an organization for teens who wanted to lead more spiritual lives. On Maui, where he has lived since 2004, Ram Dass co-founded Doorway Into Light, which helps people prepare for dying. “Sitting by the bed of the dying is sadhana [spiritual practice],” he said. For his unwavering commitment to helping others, Ram Dass has been called “a model of selfless service.”

“My life has been a dance between power and love,” he observed after the massive cerebral hemorrhage in 1997 that left the charismatic, preternaturally articulate teacher groping for words. “First part, till Harvard: power, power, power, power. Up until drugs, I thought power was the end all and be all, because I was a little individual. Then drugs: love, love, love, love. My first mushroom trip was so profound that I saw radiance was inside, and I said, ‘I’m home, I’m home, I’m home.'”

Born Richard Alpert on April 6, 1930 in Boston, Ram Dass was the youngest of three brothers. His father, George Alpert, a prominent lawyer, was president of the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad and the first board president of Brandeis University. The family was Jewish and Richard was bar mitzvahed, but he later called the ritual “hollow” and claimed to have had no interest in religion until he took psychedelics. After graduating cum laude from Williston Northampton, a prep school in Massachusetts, he earned a bachelor’s degree from Tufts, a master’s from Wesleyan, and a PhD from Stanford–all in psychology. In California he met psychologist David McClelland, who became his mentor and brought Alpert with him to Harvard. At Harvard, Alpert was a star, with appointments in the Psychology and Social Relations Departments, the Graduate School of Education, and the Health Service, where he served as a therapist. He also had research grants from Yale and Stanford, and was publishing academic books. “In 1961, at the beginning of March, I was at the high point of my academic career,” he wrote in Be Here Now. “I was making a great income, and I was a collector of possessions,” among them an antiques-filled Cambridge apartment, a Mercedes-Benz, an MG sports car, a Triumph 500cc motorcycle, and a Cessna 172 airplane. “But what it all boils down to is that I was really a very good game player.”

All that changed on March 6, 1961, the day he took psilocybin for the first time. Psychedelics led to his second great awakening: his encounter with Maharaj-ji and spiritual transformation. Then in 1997, as Ram Dass was finishing Still Here, the second volume of his spiritual memoirs, he had his third great awakening, the stroke that began the final phase of his life. He was given only a 10 percent chance to survive.

Long an outspoken advocate and support for the sick and dying, shortly before his stroke, Ram Dass told an audience: “Something has happened to me as a result of my meanderings through consciousness over the past 30 years that has changed my attitude towards death. A lot of the fear that denial of death generated has gone from me. Death does not have to be treated as an enemy for you to delight in life. Keeping death in your consciousness as one of the greatest mysteries and as the moment of incredible transformation imbues this moment with added richness and energy that otherwise is used up in denial.”

After the stroke, those observations seemed hopelessly naive, he said. The stroke had given him a far deeper understanding of what the suffering of aging, infirmity, and dying really means. Characteristically, he viewed it in spiritual terms: “I don’t wish you the stroke, but I wish you the grace from the stroke,” he said in Ram Dass, Going Home, a 2017 documentary by Derek Peck. “The stroke pushed me inside even more. That’s so wonderful.”

It also meant that the man who had spent much of his life helping others had to let others help him. Noting that before the stroke, he had co-authored a book about service called How Can I Help?, “after the stroke I would have titled it How Can You Help Me?” he said. “In this culture dependency is a no-no. The stroke showed me dependency, and I have people who are dependable.”

Following a near-fatal infection in 2004, Ram Das was largely confined to his home on Maui. A sprawling, light-filled aerie with lush vegetation and a panoramic ocean view, it was a gift from devoted friends. One of his pleasures was his weekly swim in the ocean, accompanied by a clutch of neighbors. After being wheeled to the shore in a dune buggy with enormous yellow balloon wheels and orange floats as armrests, he would launch himself into the sea. There, buoyed by a large black life jacket, he would paddle gently with yellow webbed mitts, a look of delight on his face.

Rum Dum to his father, RD to his friends, Ram Dass was a true original. He lived out loud, with a rollicking laugh and seemingly irrepressible esprit de corps. Even when his stroke rendered him virtually immobile with halting speech, he could summon his far-ranging mind to be totally present for his weekly podcasts and the friends and followers who gathered around him, some coming to Maui for his thrice-yearly retreats. His door was open to a steady stream of visitors, many of them strangers, seeking comfort, inspiration, or advice.

Ram Dass’s spunk and determination were the energetic benefits of years of spiritual practice and a bodhisattva-like commitment to sharing it with others. Mirabai Bush, a “guru sister” from their days with Maharaj-ji in India and his collaborator on his last book, Walking Each Other Home: Conversations on Loving and Dying, summed up his life’s work in her introduction. “Ram Dass’s journey has been a search for love and for finding a way to stay in the space of love once he experienced it,” she wrote, adding, “Ram Dass was always loving, but now he is love.”

Unsinkable, Ram Dass survived great challenges to remain one of the most colorful and memorable spiritual leaders of his age. When he finally surrendered to death, it was with what filmmaker Mickey Lemle, in his 2001 documentary about RD, called “fierce grace.”

Yepper, read his "Be Here Now" in 1972 and that launched me into 2 years of intense experimentation with a combination of meditation and hallucinogens. Even received some college credit for it at Ohio University for a course I designed through independent study. Of couse it was all done under the radar, so to speak, so that my tenured professors and I would be protected.
:rofl:

Over the following year or so the same professors and I traveled on several occasions to hear Ram Dass speak. It turned out that one of those professors, and eventually my good friend, (a PhD Mycologist at Ohio University) knew Richard Alpert and Timothy Leary both, back in the days of the Sunshine blotter acid group in N.Y.

From there I dropped out of school, worked in factories to earn money and then in October of '74 headed to San Francisco to meet up with the Dawn Horse Communion, an ashram in northern California. Turned out it was just another cult with an abusive leader. Sill, it was a worthwhile experience, truly a learning experience, but after a year-and-a-half in the big city I was ready to return to the sweet deciduous enclave of Athens, Ohio.

RAM DASS changed my life!

See you on the other side, Namaste!

Yepper, read his "Be Here Now" in 1972 and that launched me into 2 years of intense experimentation with a combination of meditation and hallucinogens. Even received some college credit for it at Ohio University for a course I designed through independent study. Of couse it was all done under the radar, so to speak, so that my tenured professors and I would be protected.
:rofl:

Over the following year or so the same professors and I traveled on several occasions to hear Ram Dass speak. It turned out that one of those professors, and eventually my good friend, (a PhD Mycologist at Ohio University) knew Richard Alpert and Timothy Leary both, back in the days of the Sunshine blotter acid group in N.Y.

From there I dropped out of school, worked in factories to earn money and then in October of '74 headed to San Francisco to meet up with the Dawn Horse Communion, an ashram in northern California. Turned out it was just another cult with an abusive leader. Sill, it was a worthwhile experience, truly a learning experience, but after a year-and-a-half in the big city I was ready to return to the sweet deciduous enclave of Athens, Ohio.

RAM DASS changed my life!

See you on the other side, Namaste!

The lsd part of that era is covered pretty well with the book, ORANGE SUNSHINE, a worthwhile read. I heard there was supposed to be a movie as well but I haven't heard of any yet. Im kinda internet friends with an old brotherhood of eternal love member. Interesting times.

Neil Innes, 'Monty Python' collaborator, dead at 75

Neil Innes, a writer, musician and "Monty Python" collaborator, has died at the age of 75.

Innes was also part of the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band and The Rutles, a Beatles parody group.

"Neil Innes passed away unexpectedly," his agent, Nigel Morton, told CNN on Monday.

191230074619-01-neil-innes-obit-restricted-exlarge-169.jpg

Innes died suddenly of natural causes, according to a statement on his website.
Innes joined the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band while studying at Goldsmiths College School of Art in London in the early 1960s.
The group's biggest-selling single was "I'm the Urban Spaceman," which reached number 5 in the UK charts in 1968. The band broke up in 1970.

Innes then became part of the band GRIMMS and developed a close relationship with the "Monty Python" team in the mid-1970s, writing music for their albums and TV series, and appearing in both their large- and small-screen outings.

Innes later went on to form The Rutles, a pastiche of The Beatles, off the back of his work on a sketch show called "Rutland Weekend Television."
Music writer Mark Lewisohn was among those to pay tribute to Innes.

"Deeply saddened by the death of Neil Innes," he wrote on Twitter.

"Loved his brilliant witty music, loved him. Mankind will miss his wry sagely wisdom."

40 years of 'Holy Grail': The best of Monty Python

40 years of 'Holy Grail': The best of Monty Python

Comedian and actor Diane Morgan also tweeted farewell to Innes.
"One of the nicest people I've ever met and a towering talent," she wrote.

A statement posted on Innes' website Monday said he "died of natural causes" on Sunday, "quickly without warning and, I think, without pain."

Buck Henry Dies: ‘The Graduate’ Writer, ‘Get Smart’ Co-Creator & Early ‘SNL’ Favorite Was 89

Buck Henry dead

Shutterstock

Buck Henry, the legendary screenwriter behind The Graduate and What’s Up, Doc? who also co-created Get Smart and was a regular presence in the early years of Saturday Night Live, died tonight of a heart attack at Cedars-Sinai Health Center in Los Angeles. He was 89.
A family member confirmed the news to Deadline.

heaven-can-wait.jpg

Warren Beatty in ‘Heaven Can Wait’Paramount/Kobal/Shutterstock

Henry scored a pair of Oscar nominations — one for his and Calder Willingham’s adapted screenplay for The Graduate and another for directing with Warren Beatty the 1978 movie Heaven Can Wait. He also won a writing Emmy in 1967 for Get Smart, the spy spoof he created with Mel Brooks, among many other accolades.

He became a familiar face to a new generation of TV viewers by hosting Saturday Night Live several times during its first five seasons. He might be best remembered as John Belushi’s foil in the classic “Samurai” skits.

Henry also had more than three dozen other acting credits.

“I wish I could do what writers of my generation do, which is just — open the gate and let it come out,” he said in a 2009 “The Interviews” sit-down for the TV Academy Foundation. “I envy them. It’s hard for me to do. That’s why I liked writing for television because I had to do something every day. … So the best secret is — and it’s not a secret — is just when [you] get stuck in a scene, write nonsense. But do something to keep your hand moving, doing something on the page. That’s all. There are no great insights.” Watch a clip of Henry discussing writing comedy about dark topics below.

Henry got his start writing for Steve Allen and Garry Moore’s TV shows in the 1960s before penning the script for The Graduate, Mike Nichols’ seminal film starring Dustin Hoffman, Katharine Ross and Anne Bancroft. The film focused on the generation gap of the later 1960s and includes a number of memorable scenes and lines.

Who could forget Hoffman’s college-age Benjamin Braddock telling Bancroft’s older character, “Mrs. Robinson, you’re trying to seduce me.” Later, after she asks Benjamin, “Do you find me undesirable?” he tells her, “Oh no, Mrs. Robinson, I think you’re the most attractive of any of my parents’ friends.”

The film — which was adapted from Charles Webb’s book and featured the timeless-but-Oscar-ineligible Simon & Garfunkel hit “Mrs. Robinson” — scored seven Oscar noms including Best Picture, with Nichols winning Best Director. The pic made the top 10 in the AFI’s 100 Years … 100 Movies list in 1998.

get-smart.jpg

Don Adams as Agent 86 in ‘Get Smart’Moviestore/Shutterstock

Get Smart, starring Don Adams as the bumbling yet somehow effective Maxwell Smart, aka Agent 86, debuted on NBC in 1965. Driven by the popularity of the James Bond films, the CONTROL-vs.-KAOS sitcom was an early hit, finishing the season No. 12 among all primetime programs. Co-starring Barbara Feldon and Edward Platt, it moved to CBS for its fifth and final season in 1969-70. Along with one of TV’s greatest opening credits, a number of the show’s catchphrases would become pop-culture lore: “Missed it by that much,” “I think it’s only fair to warn you …,” “Sorry about that, Chief,” “I demand the Cone of Silence,” “… and loving it” — the list goes on.

Adams would reprise his iconic role for the 1980 feature The Nude Bomb, and — would you believe … — Steve Carrel starred in a 2008 Get Smart movie.

In his TV Foundation interview, Henry recalled how he and Brooks got the idea for Get Smart. “Nobody seems to remember it but me,” he said. “I go to [Talent Associates partner Danny Melnick’s office], and he says, ‘I want to give you guys an idea: What are the two biggest movies in the world today? James Bond and Inspector Clouseau. Get my point?’ … It’s parody and satire.”

ABC paid for the Get Smart pilot but passed on the series. Melnick then took it to NBC titan Grant Tinker, who was looking for a project for his contract actor Adams.
Henry would focus his writing on the big screen during the 1970s, co-penning the Barbra Streisand starrer What’s Up, Doc? and writing or co-writing book-to-screen adaptations for such films as Catch-22, The Owl and the Pussycat, and The Day of the Dolphin.

john-belushi-buck-henry.jpg

Henry and John Belushi on ‘Saturday Night Live’SNL/Shutterstock

He had appeared onscreen in numerous films and comedy shows by the mid-’70s when he was chosen to host Saturday Live Night during its first season i
n early 1976. Appearing alongside the Not Ready for Primetime Players, he would go on to host nine more times through 1980, becoming the first person to do the gig five times — and later 10. Among his memorable characters was the Samurai interviewer/straight man; the creepy Uncle Roy, who menaced children he was babysitting; a sadistic stunt coordinator; and Mr. Dantley, the father of Bill Murray’s uber-nerd Todd in the latter’s famous sketches with Gilda Radner.

During that time, Henry also created Quark, a short-lived 1978 NBC comedy starring Richard Benjamin that spoofed the era’s popular space epics. In 1984, NBC debuted variety-sketch series The New Show, on which Henry was a regular alongside SCTV alum Dave Thomas and others. It aired briefly as a midseason replacement.

Henry would go on to co-pen the Nicole Kidman feature To Die For (1995) and the star-laden 2001 pic Town & Country. Early big-screen screenplay credits include the Radner-led First Family (1980) — his only feature directing credit other than Heaven Can Wait — and Candy (1968), whose cast included Marlon Brando, Richard Burton, James Coburn and Walter Matthau.

Buck Henry dead

Henry in ‘Taking Off’Universal/Kobal/Shutterstock

Henry also had acting roles in dozens of movies — including most of the ones he wrote — and appeared as a guest on numerous talk shows including those hosted by Johnny Carson, David Letterman, Dick Cavett, Mike Douglas and David Frost. His most recent acting credits include episodes of Franklin & Bash, Law & Order: SVU, Hot in Cleveland and 30 Rock, twice playing the father of Tina Fey’s Liz Lemon.

Among the many awards Henry racked up during his career are 1994 Golden Globe and Venice Film Festival prizes as part of the ensemble in Robert Altman’s Short Cuts, BAFTA and Writers Guild awards for writing The Graduate and another WGA Award for What’s Up, Doc?

Survivors include his wife, Irene, who was by his side when he died. He had no children.

Wow... first Neil Innes and now Terry Jones...

Terry Jones, Founding Monty Python Comedian, Dead at 77
22-terry-jones-death.w330.h330.2x.jpg

Comedian, co-founder of Monty Python, filmmaker, and author Terry Jones has died at the age of 77. His agent confirmed his death with the BBC on Wednesday. “Terry passed away on the evening of 21 January 2020 at the age of 77 with his wife Anna Soderstrom by his side after a long, extremely brave but always good humoured battle with a rare form of dementia, FTD,” his family wrote in a statement. Jones’ son, Bill, revealed the diagnosis, which left Jones unable to speak, to the public in 2016. “Over the past few days his wife, children, extended family and many close friends have been constantly with Terry as he gently slipped away at his home in North London,” his family shared. “We have all lost a kind, funny, warm, creative and truly loving man whose uncompromising individuality, relentless intellect and extraordinary humour has given pleasure to countless millions across six decades.”

Jones formed Monty Python’s Flying Circus alongside Eric Idle, John Cleese, Michael Palin, Graham Chapman and Terry Gilliam in the 1960’s, going on to revolutionize British comedy. The Welsh comic was known for his over-the-top falsetto voice when playing housewives. He directed Monty Python’s Life of Brian, Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life, and co-directed Monty Python and the Holy Grail with Gilliam. Jones is survived by his wife, Anna Soderstrom, their ten year old daughter, Siri, and two children from his first marriage. “We hope that this disease will one day be eradicated entirely,” his family continued. “We ask that our privacy be respected at this sensitive time and give thanks that we lived in the presence of an extraordinarily talented, playful and happy man living a truly authentic life, in his words ‘Lovingly frosted with glucose.’”

I'm not going to pretend that I particularly liked Kobe Bryant other than as a basketball player nor do I find his death more tragic and lamentable than any other.

With that said, I certainly wouldn't wish harm much less death on him, his daughter, and the other...what, seven passengers and the pilot.

I do note that the press and social media are not renting their clothes and wearing ashes over any of these other, I'm sure, fine people.

I do not really care for the current state of celebrity worship and what it says about what we truly value in our society.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back