Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Meds Restless Leg Syndrome

momofthegoons

Vapor Accessory Addict
Staff member
I find it interesting that the author found the greatest relief using a topical....

Study Suggests That Cannabis Can Help Treat Restless Leg Syndrome

By Johnny Green
on July 25, 2017

It is estimated that 7-10% of Americans suffer from restless leg syndrome. I am one of those Americans, and I can assure you, it is no fun at all.

Restless leg syndrome involves unpleasant or uncomfortable sensations in the legs, usually starting in the late afternoon and into the evening.

The sensations that are felt result in an irresistible urge to move your feet or legs. It may not sound like too bad of a nuisance, but it leads to long nights with no sleep, and can drive some people to the breaking point.

Anyone who suffers from the condition will be quick to tell you that it can drive a person crazy. I know that has been the case with me!

It doesn't just affect the person suffering from restless leg syndrome either, it can also affect loved ones who have to deal with the virtually constant movement by the person with the condition.

Non-cannabis treatments
Doctors recommend a variety of treatments to treat restless leg syndrome. People who suffer from mild cases of the condition can usually move their feet and legs and the sensation(s) go away on their own.

For more severe cases, doctors tend to try to treat other conditions that may be contributing to restless leg syndrome such as diabetes, eripheral neuropathy, or iron deficiency anemia.

Someone may not know that they have one or more of these other conditions, with restless leg syndrome leading to the diagnosis of one or more other conditions.

When the other condition or conditions are treated, it can reduce the frequency in which the patient experiences restless leg syndrome.

It is generally accepted in the medical world that there is no one-size-fits-all treatment for restless leg syndrome, but a recent study has shown that a non-traditional treatment may show some serious promise.

Cannabis may be able to help
In_Article_image_copy3.jpg

Another reason why cannabis education is so important.
A recent study in France found that a number of patients suffering from restless leg syndrome found relief after consuming cannabis, with some stating that their condition completely went away.

Five of the patients in the study said that their condition completely went away after smoking cannabis, and another said the condition went away after using cannabidiol (CBD) oil.

Various reasons were cited as to possible reasons why cannabis may have worked, with researchers pointing to cannabis' pain-relief properties as the most likely reason.

The study was not without its limitations. For starters, the population size of the study was not very large. Also, the study relied on the subjective testimonies of study participants.

Researchers that led the study called for robust clinical trials to learn more about how cannabis works as a treatment for restless leg syndrome.

Anecdotal testimonies
In_Article_image_copy2.jpg

Do you know anybody with restless leg syndrome?
A quick search on forums and social media yield an enormous amount of stories about how cannabis has helped people who suffer from restless leg syndrome and have found relief by using cannabis.

The anecdotal stories are obviously not scientific studies, but they do shed some light on how many people are turning to cannabis to treat their condition instead of using pharmaceutical drugs.

Dopamine agonists are the most common pharmaceutical drugs prescribed for restless leg syndrome, the side effects of which include nausea,vomiting,orthostatic hypotension, hallucinations, and delusions. For obvious reasons, cannabis is a much safer alternative.

One thing that I would like to see as part of future studies is how topical cannabis products can help treat restless leg syndrome.

I have tried countless treatments, and rubbing a high strength balm on my feet at night is the only thing that I have found that works. If you suffer from the condition, or know someone that does, tell them to give it a try!

I wonder how potent ointments are supposed to be?
Every recipe for salve that I've ever researched calls for 1 - 2 oz. of flower (bud, trim, stems) per 16 oz. of coconut oil. That formula has worked for me (using trim) for the salve I've made for pain, anxiety or skin conditions. The difference between those products isn't the strength of the oil; rather what essential oils I add and how much beeswax. Beeswax can be a barrier for the meds getting into your skin so I tend to use oil rather than salve if the condition needs a stronger dosage. Coconut oil can also be a barrier oil so if I was really wanting the salve to absorb I might try making it with something like rice bran oil instead.

What I don't know is if there is a 'saturation point' in making salve. In other words; does there come a point where it doesn't matter if you put in more flower or not for strength.

If it were me making a salve for a patient with RLS I would start with my basic formula. Then if that wasn't effective, I would try eliminating the beeswax and using oil rather than salve. And if that wasn't quite strong enough, I guess I would try my infusion with more flower and see if there is a difference. :twocents:

I can vouch for this personally!

Was prescribed Tramadol and took it for a while to combat this condition.
Took it because it beat walking up and down the stairs at night instead of sleeping!

Read the part under Important Information:

https://www.drugs.com/tramadol.html

Very thankful that MMJ cured this for me! :aaaaa:
Ouch brother! I'm glad you're not on that tramadol anymore! Did you find that the tramadol helped with the restless legs at all after all that?

Ouch brother! I'm glad you're not on that tramadol anymore! Did you find that the tramadol helped with the restless legs at all after all that?
Thanks Friend!

Yeah, wicked side effects for something that looks like an advil! hahaa!

it actually did help... but really glad MMJ does exactly the same, without the risk.

Thanks Friend!

it actually did help... but really glad MMJ does exactly the same, without the risk.
Me too man, I wouldn't wish those side-effects, let alone the addiction/withdrawal on anybody, let alone a stand up guy like yourself! Glad to hear that our favorite plant helped you to get away from that shit :weed: :biggrin:

I'm a little confused...tramadol is a narcotic and toradol is a NSAID. Very different so when you mentioned Advil (a NSAID), I wonder which we are speaking of here??

Tramadol.

In appearance, looks like a simple advil.

In side effects, so much more... :ugh:
Thanks you for the reply, Dave. I often get confused between the two drug names and yes, Tramadol is some rough stuff.

I have RLS as part of my fibro bundle. Interesting that others also observe links with anemia. I had neighbors once, and 2 of the sisters, one had Fibro, and Epilepsy other mentioned RLS- Canna was the only answer the sis with RLS found, and the one with the dual conditions keeps being told by the Allopathic docs that she has to choose between treating her epilepsy or her fibromyalgia- when Canna helps both. In my own experience, besides the link to anemia, I have noticed that RLS symptoms are some of the issues that escalate when I am experiencing fatigue and or stress flares, but RLS issues are not limited to those times either. Vaping has helped greatly, and Canna moreso then any other remedy I have tried- I have not tried topicals often-I find vaping alone or in concert with edibles to be more efficient due to how many different symptoms I may need to address at any given time.

I have RLS as part of my fibro bundle. Interesting that others also observe links with anemia. I had neighbors once, and 2 of the sisters, one had Fibro, and Epilepsy other mentioned RLS- Canna was the only answer the sis with RLS found, and the one with the dual conditions keeps being told by the Allopathic docs that she has to choose between treating her epilepsy or her fibromyalgia- when Canna helps both. In my own experience, besides the link to anemia, I have noticed that RLS symptoms are some of the issues that escalate when I am experiencing fatigue and or stress flares, but RLS issues are not limited to those times either. Vaping has helped greatly, and Canna moreso then any other remedy I have tried- I have not tried topicals often-I find vaping alone or in concert with edibles to be more efficient due to how many different symptoms I may need to address at any given time.
Friend, I'm sorry to hear about the RLS (and the bundle). For a while, I found some relief with Tramadol... but with MMJ I almost don't remember having RLS at all. I use MMJ primarily for vertigo, the RLS relief... just a great side benefit... ;)

Never tried topicals for RLS, interesting thought though as some RLS episodes almost feel "physical"... like an anxiousness right under the skin.... maybe a topical... but I'm thinking out loud.

Cannabis for Restless Leg Syndrome
A potential way to control dopamine dysfunction.

No one fully understands how the myriad blend of chemicals in the cannabisplant acts within the brain. One way to advance our knowledge is to examine what happens when our brain’s endogenous cannabis neurotransmitter system dysfunctions. One particular condition of interest is Restless Leg Syndrome.

Restless Leg Syndrome generally worsens with age and often disrupts sleep. The main symptom, as the name suggests, is a nearly irresistible urge to move the legs. Getting up and moving around helps the feeling temporarily go away; however, there is no cure and the symptoms can last a lifetime. The effectiveness of one novel therapy provides insight into a potential link between the endogenous cannabis neurotransmitter system and the neurotransmitter dopamine.

What is the role of dopamine in the brain? The function of each neurotransmitter depends entirely on the function of the structure in which it is located. Deep within your brain is a region called the basal ganglia. The neurons in the basal ganglia are responsible for producing normal well-controlled smooth movements. The level of the neurotransmitter dopamine in these nuclei is much higher than in most surrounding brain regions. Therefore, scientists have concluded that dopamine within the basal ganglia is critically involved in the control of movement. Furthermore, if we expose our brain to a drug that impairs the function of dopamine, then our ability to move is greatly impaired. Dopamine is obviously critical for movement and it is easy to see how dopamine dysfunction might be involved in Restless Leg Syndrome.

Dopamine is also found in the retina of your eye and in your hypothalamus, structures that have nothing to do with movement. Dopamine also is released into small regions deep within the frontal lobes; when this happens, you experience a feeling of pleasure. Dopamine is not the brain’s only “feel good” neurotransmitter. For example, the release of acetylcholine in the septal area produces a feeling a well-being and joy, while the release of the neurotransmitters enkephalin or anandamide within the brain produces a feeling of euphoria. Surprisingly, dopamine plays virtually no role in the euphoria produced by cannabis. In fact, cannabis reduces (!) the release of dopamine, which is why levels of dopamine increase when using cannabis. Essentially, the levels of dopamine increase in the brain after cannabis use because the neurons have stopped releasing it.

So, what explains the benefits of cannabis for Restless Leg Syndrome? The brains of patients with Restless Leg Syndrome may be in what is called a “hyper-dopaminergic state” – too much dopamine is being released inside the basal ganglia.
Recent studies have shown that chronic cannabis use is associated with reduced dopamine synthesis capacity. Thus, the efficacy of cannabis in patients with Restless Leg Syndrome may be due to its ability to prevent the excessive release of dopamine and restore normal neural activity in the basal ganglia.

It is too soon to claim that we understand the role of the brain’s endogenous cannabis system in Restless Leg Syndrome. However, as more information accumulates it might one day be possible to design effective cannabis-like drugs for a variety of human disorders of the brain.

References
Ghorayeb I (2020) More evidence of cannabis efficacy in restless legs syndrome. Sleep and Breathing (2020) 24:277–279. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11325-019-01978-1
Bloomfield MA et al (2014) Dopaminergic function in cannabis users and its relationship to cannabis-induced psychotic symptoms. Biol Psychiatry 75(6):470–478. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopsych.2013. 05.027.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back