Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Extraction Rosin press - perfect construction and components?

Hogni

Master of pleasure joy
Hi,

how I've told here and on FC currently I'm working with a friend in developing rosin presses for different needs for the european market. From small diy heat controlled plates for personal stash up to large commercial presses with 100t.
Im not involved in his buisiness just a consulatant and beta tester.
My friend is an absolut pro. Mechanical engineer and for many years head of construction of a company which is building commercial machines (bakery, brewing, filling systems) with automatization, heat and pressure controlling.
Now he also wants to develope and offer a "Hop Rosin Press" :biggrin:

I need your help! Your experiences and thoughts would be very valuably and helpfully for me!

Current state

- plates in different sizes/shapes out of alu for optimized heat transfer with a thinner stainless plate on the press side for better scratch resistance and dimensional stability or completely out of a more pressure resistant kind of alu (still to test).

- heated with heat cartridges

- controlled by arduino

- complete presses should be made for the ability of directional flow.

What a your important aspects and wishes?

- sizes of plates?
- heat up times?
- insulated plates?
- general aspects of construction?

Regarding the rosin pros: What are your wishes for construction? What are the lacks (handling, performance)of your current setup for your needs? Any advices appreciated!

Ok, I'm writing this as somebody who has never squished a bud in his life but has been dilligently researching/reading up on this for a good while. So, take my comments with a grain of salt due to my inexperience, but at least its some input back (hint to the rest of the board to generate FUCKING CONTENT!! LOL).

- plates in different sizes/shapes out of alu for optimized heat transfer with a thinner stainless plate on the press side for better scratch resistance and dimensional stability or completely out of a more pressure resistant kind of alu (still to test).

Since you are talking home to 100T commercial presses, I imagine design and requirements being a bit different for one vice another. Personally, I like rectangular plates as they seem more versitile and better for use with the rectangular squishing bags. As for alum with thin steel heating surface....well, yeah, the alum will heat up faster but the transfer rate to the SS will still be transfer to SS. I would rather all SS and be done with it. Of course, your mech eng friend would know way more than I about thermal transfer.

My limited understanding is that the long cartridge heaters will heat more evenly than a flat coil heater. Only concern is supply issues for replacement parts in the future. If cartridge heaters are as easily available and standardized as Hot Runner type coils, great. If not, perhaps not so great for home enthusiasts. Commercial squishers would, I should think, have no problem researching and sourcing heaters like this.

- controlled by arduino

Why? Omron PIDs can be had super cheap, the software and circuit design is already done, the community is very familiar with the Omron PID settings, and let's face it....while we want good control this isn't nuclear particle collider facility...I should think that there are plenty of temp controllers already out there (like Omron) that can just be put in a box. Just my first thought.

Yes, very much so.

- sizes of plates?
- heat up times?
- insulated plates?

Rather really important to me are the following:

1. Very well calibrated and accurate temp reading
2. Very accurate pressure indication
3. Guide rails or other features to ensure rigidity and eliminate flexing when pressing
4. Any little features to make it user friendly like little clips to hold the parchment paper perhaps, etc.

I do think that there is such a big gap between a guy like me who wants a pretty damn good home model and somebody who is commercially pressing. I imagine our desires and priorities to be different to some extent.

I found what these guys have done to be very interesting, but is scaled up for commercial and a bit much press and $$ for home use.

https://gopurepressure.com/collections/rosin-presses

Thanks

Ok, I'm writing this as somebody who has never squished a bud in his life but has been dilligently researching/reading up on this for a good while. So, take my comments with a grain of salt due to my inexperience, but at least its some input back (hint to the rest of the board to generate FUCKING CONTENT!! LOL).

Since you are talking home to 100T commercial presses, I imagine design and requirements being a bit different for one vice another. Personally, I like rectangular plates as they seem more versitile and better for use with the rectangular squishing bags. As for alum with thin steel heating surface....well, yeah, the alum will heat up faster but the transfer rate to the SS will still be transfer to SS. I would rather all SS and be done with it. Of course, your mech eng friend would know way more than I about thermal transfer.

My limited understanding is that the long cartridge heaters will heat more evenly than a flat coil heater. Only concern is supply issues for replacement parts in the future. If cartridge heaters are as easily available and standardized as Hot Runner type coils, great. If not, perhaps not so great for home enthusiasts. Commercial squishers would, I should think, have no problem researching and sourcing heaters like this.

- controlled by arduino

Why? Omron PIDs can be had super cheap, the software and circuit design is already done, the community is very familiar with the Omron PID settings, and let's face it....while we want good control this isn't nuclear particle collider facility...I should think that there are plenty of temp controllers already out there (like Omron) that can just be put in a box. Just my first thought.

Yes, very much so.

- sizes of plates?
- heat up times?
- insulated plates?

Rather really important to me are the following:

1. Very well calibrated and accurate temp reading
2. Very accurate pressure indication
3. Guide rails or other features to ensure rigidity and eliminate flexing when pressing
4. Any little features to make it user friendly like little clips to hold the parchment paper perhaps, etc.

I do think that there is such a big gap between a guy like me who wants a pretty damn good home model and somebody who is commercially pressing. I imagine our desires and priorities to be different to some extent.

I found what these guys have done to be very interesting, but is scaled up for commercial and a bit much press and $$ for home use.

https://gopurepressure.com/collections/rosin-presses

Thanks
I agree with most all of this here. Insulated plates are a must too btw, for the sake of the hydraulic components of the press (if that heat gets up into the hydraulic parts of the press, you're gonna have increased wear and tear) as well as for the sake of energy efficiency (you need to use more power if the unit is putting heat into more surface area than just the plates!).

I will say that I do not care whether we use PID or other kinds of heat control, so long as it works reliably and is not more expensive without any performance gain. I do think that a press could be made to meet these requirements with PID or arduino :peace:

I wanna see appropriately sized pre-press plates supplied with the press and I want to see plates that are able to be fitted to internationally available hydraulic presses. We should have options for 10t, 20t and then larger options - remember that a 100t press is going to be fucking huge and heavy, and will have shipping costs to match.

On that note, it is probably worth designing kits that are sold to be fitted to internationally available mainstream hydraulic/pneumatic presses. Many will likely prefer to be able to find a hydraulic press locally and save on shipping by only ordering heaters, controllers and plates etc to fit to their press. :twocents:

I do think that a press could be made to meet these requirements with PID or arduino

Yes, but you have to program the Arduino and PID controllers are out there at almost a dime a dozen (ok, that's an exaggeration but why program up Arduino when you can buy it done and at least with the Omron, the community knows a lot about how to tweak the variable values.

Re: insulation, I rather agree that you would not want this heat to get into your hydro ram....but I believe on D-nail's unit..well, they brag about not having degradable insulation in the kit. Dunno about that one.

My plates didn't include any insulation material, so I used a piece of plywood cut to the diameter of the ram on the top, and a piece of wood, swapped to leather after the wood experienced uneven compression failure. Just about to swap that to a block of oak...

Presses aren't cheap to ship. But if the form factor of a resin unit were small and less obtrusive than a traditional press, (the NugSmasher has a reasonable footprint, which is much easier to hide in the house. My automotive press looks awkward in the house and will probably get booted to the garage one day soon...

Yes, but you have to program the Arduino and PID controllers are out there at almost a dime a dozen (ok, that's an exaggeration but why program up Arduino when you can buy it done and at least with the Omron, the community knows a lot about how to tweak the variable values.
I know from some peers of mine that plenty of programmer types could do this kind of shit with an Arduino in their sleep brother. I am sure that the Hex-Nail folks are examples of people with this kind of skillset. It is generally very quick to propagate the code to a bunch of units once you have configured the software on one of them too, so this is something that can foreseeably scale and automate reasonably easily.

If I were doing the task myself, I'd opt for a PID rather than sit down to program an arduino just like you my friend, I must admit :dog:

Re: insulation, I rather agree that you would not want this heat to get into your hydro ram....but I believe on D-nail's unit..well, they brag about not having degradable insulation in the kit. Dunno about that one.
Agreed my friend, we would certainly need to make sure that the insulation is safe for these temps and pressure applications and repeated use/wear.

Thanks a lot for your advices! He'll use arduino cause he makes a lot of his control paneels with it for his different other devices and it shall be more versatile.

Insulation - whats the best material in your opinion?

Yepp, there'll come DIY sets for building a rosin press with own hydraulics with universal connections for most common pressure pistons .

Yes, it's intended to produce plates in different sizes with resistance for use with different strong presses.

What do you think about the plate sizes? Which are the most interesting for different amounts of material?

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back