Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Recipe RSO or Cannabis Oil

Like @Shredder I've recently switched from Soy to Sunflower, as well. I've also been able to find liquid, which is handy. And then I discovered that you can make powdered into liquid by, umm, adding water to powdered and let it sit for an hour or so.

I found a poorly written article that was full of great info about using lecithin to infuse honey, and using that infused honey to sweeten drinks. In the article, if I can find it again I'll post it, it mentioned a premise that one of the two versions of lecithin worked better for water, while the other worked better for oil. I've read nothing elsewhere to substantiate it. This is an interesting writeup all the same - https://durablehealth.net/lecithin/soy-sunflower-lecithin-benefits-uses-side-effects/

@asdf420 - The Skunk Pharm recipe for Holy Shit is a real brain squeezer. Make a batch up some time - it made for a couple of really freaky days for moi, and I'd be interested in hearing another trip report!
I've pretty much stopped making Green Dragon style tinctures, mainly due to the amount of alcohol required. I make my own alcohol every now and again (google sugar alcohol for instructions), but I've discovered that DMSO is also a polar solvent. I started using it in topicals, and now use it in a lot of different ways. It's the stuff they used to use to dose LSD onto blotters. It has a lot of other uses, as well, but it's a long and complicated topic with a bazillion rabbit holes to distract you. Here's one: https://www.gaylordchemical.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/GC-Literature-106.pdf

PSD - I use the term 'budder' to mean Infused butter :)

that DMSO thing is crazy. have you found it easy to make THC 'tabs' with it? Or topicals that get you high?

yeah, maybe i should have dissolved the lecithin in water first. I also got some activated Durban poison BHO!! maybe i could make it into holy shit. oh shit. did you have high tolerance when you tripped?

I wonder how Quillaja saponin compares to sunflower lecithin.

Last edited:
did you have high tolerance when you tripped?

At the peak, while dealing with chronic issues and detoxing from a collection of pharma, I was going through about 10 grams per day. I don't tend to get much psychotropic effect, and didn't really expect the trip I had. Holy Shit is a real brainsqueezer. It's basically decarbed shatter, mixed with a little coconut oil, and works really quickly. It can sneak up on you and smack you quite hard. Here's a link for those that haven't heard of it:

Holy Shit:

10 grams BHO Cannabis oil
3 grams Coconut oil
.7 grams Cinnamon Bark oil
.7 grams Cinnamon Leaf oil
.3 grams Myrrh Gum
1 gram Cinnamon candy flavoring oil

We make these oils, by adding the other ingredients to the decarboxylated cannabis oil, while the oil is above 82C/180F, and stirring until well mixed. Bottle and use as is. For decarboxylation instructions, check out the tab on our home page, under that name.

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/holy-anointing-oil-and-holy-shit/

I'm not sure what THC Tabs are. I've been using infused DMSO in glass/stainless roller bottles directly on pain spots. Between infused DMSO and infused topical creams I'm able to manage pain levels quite well. I'm also doing other pain therapies, including IMS, Proliferation Therapy (Prolo), and Radio Frequency Ablations - when the pain won't go away these treatments help. The pain clinic doctor approves of the topicals he's been gifted.

DMSO is also surprisingly effective on mosquito, spider and wasp bites. A neighbour had 3 wasp bites on his forearm, which was swollen and rock-hard. He tried some comfrey topical that his wife had, and the pain levels were slightly decreased, but it was still hard. We swabbed the affected area with DMSO and the hardness and swelling were down in a short time.

Here's a link to a book that makes for handy reading. Much of this is online. https://books.google.ca/books?id=mLAyJBF1sVoC&pg=PA31&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

You might need to look up decarboxylation. Products meant for smoking need to be heat treated to convert Thca into thc.

There is a lot to learn, and The Asylum can help. Enjoy :)

Just the opposite, cannabis that will be vaped or smoked does not require decarboxylation only for edibles and topicals. Best Decarb times/temps 240 F for 40 minutes.

asdf420 take a small piece of the RSO and melt it in a few mls of warm coconut oil. The coconut oil helps the bio-availability of the RSO.

Just the opposite, cannabis that will be vaped or smoked does not require decarboxylation only for edibles and topicals
I believe that is what @Killick was saying as well; that products that you usually vape or smoke need to be decarbed for use in an edible :smile:

I would love for you to post your freezer method for tincture if you have the inclination.

Just the opposite, cannabis that will be vaped or smoked does not require decarboxylation only for edibles and topicals. Best Decarb times/temps 240 F for 40 minutes.

Oops - I missed a word - good catch!
The best temp and time for decarb really depends on what your end product is going to be used for.

I guess this RSO must be trash or something. I got some everclear, put what should be like 200mg worth of thc in a dropper bottle and filled it like 1/3 with 151 proof everclear. microwaved for 9 seconds, it got very warm. shook it around, it seemed to dissolve eventually. put it under my tongue, maybe like 1 and a half droppers, not drops, and held it for a minute 3 times in a row. Barely felt anything, I think I felt the alcohol more. the color is a dark green, but not nearly as dark as in the picture above. Maybe mixing distillate with everclear would be better. What sort of ratio should I use, ml of everclear to grams of oil?

Maybe an ABV tincture would work a lot better..

@asdf420 ... so if I've got this right, you diluted your RSO with Everclear to make a tincture? Why not just use the RSO directly sublingually? :thinker:

Where Green Dragon is made from fresh herb, Golden Dragon is made from ABV using basically the same process. You just skip the step in the oven because the abv is already activated. You'll have a more sedative effect from tincture made from ABV than you will from fresh herb in my experience.

have you used rso sublingually before? can it do anything with high tolerance? it didn't do much for me that way. i thought the ethanol would help

one time it took around 6 hours for an edible to affect me, and it was stronger around 10 hours later

Last edited:
have you used rso sublingually before? can it do anything with high tolerance? it didn't do much for me that way. i thought the ethanol would help

one time it took around 6 hours for an edible to affect me, and it was stronger around 10 hours later
Yes I have. With your tolerance you wouldn't start at the rice sized portion they always talk about... not if you are just trying to get high. You would need more. The protocol is for people who are trying to just start with RSO for illness and haven't used cannabis before.

By adding the Everclear, all you really did imo was dilute the RSO and add alcohol. If you think about what RSO is.... it's basically tincture that's been reduced down to a goo.

So I have been making a sort of rso every time I swish out 6 or so mason jars that were being used for storage (cloudy white inside). I just strain the iso with coffee filters and use a fan to purge most of the iso until I have enough left to still be liquid then pour into a puck and leave that on a warm surface for a couple of days to get rid of any lingering iso to be left with this,
IMG_20200206_134608.jpg

Those lines were 1 dab, still pretty strong, not bad tasting, just not as nice as rosin.

So I finally got my bulk iso and was able to do an AVB run, 1 container of AVB in a large container of iso suspended in water in my ultrasonic cleaner just for fun,
IMG_20200214_135910.jpg

I ended up straining it about 8 times through coffee filters after squeezing out with a 25-micron pressing cloth(thanks @Madri-Gal) and ended up with 700ml of black goo,

IMG_20200214_150322.jpg

I first used a fan outside to start the iso purge,

IMG_20200216_153026.jpg

I then used the heater in my UC and a fan to evaporate off the iso, then transferred to a silicon puck to purge the last of the iso, this is what was left,

IMG_20200216_152846.jpg

I whipped the RSO with a needle then put a flame to the needle, at first the traces of iso would burst into flames but once fully purged the oil was very hard to light up with a Bic so I said it was done and left the fan and heat on for an extra couple of hours just to make sure.
Not sure what I will do with it now (I dabbed a bit but it left my nail very dirty and did not taste that great, especially with the rosin I have at hand.
Might just add the lot to the next lot of cannabutter/avb flour brownies for a little extra oomph!

So I finally got my bulk iso and was able to do an AVB run, 1 container of AVB in a large container of iso suspended in water in my ultrasonic cleaner just for fun,
View attachment 16402

I ended up straining it about 8 times through coffee filters after squeezing out with a 25-micron pressing cloth(thanks @Madri-Gal) and ended up with 700ml of black goo,

View attachment 16403

I first used a fan outside to start the iso purge,

View attachment 16405

I then used the heater in my UC and a fan to evaporate off the iso, then transferred to a silicon puck to purge the last of the iso, this is what was left,

View attachment 16404

I whipped the RSO with a needle then put a flame to the needle, at first the traces of iso would burst into flames but once fully purged the oil was very hard to light up with a Bic so I said it was done and left the fan and heat on for an extra couple of hours just to make sure.
Not sure what I will do with it now (I dabbed a bit but it left my nail very dirty and did not taste that great, especially with the rosin I have at hand.
Might just add the lot to the next lot of cannabutter/avb flour brownies for a little extra oomph!

Eating it would be a good way to consume your oil. I find abv derived RSO is good for sleep, it sure knocks me out.

It leaves your nail dirty because of plant waxes in it. Even if you winterize it to take out waxes it doesn't taste like rosin.

Another low tech way to test it is to dip a tooth pick in it and taste. Any iso would sting your tongue.

I had mentioned the 25 micron cloth instead of the larger one in the videos you shared as I found avb to be extra fine

Coffee filters after the cloth
And after freezing if do the winterisation

Nice first go @LesPlenty

It will dirty your nail as @Shredder mentioned due to wax etc

I really recommend the winterisation step

I never used to do it until @Shredder suggested, but it makes the final product so much cleaner and smoother to use plus more pure

It tastes cleaner and like weed oil
Not like rosin though

Great in a ve10 oil cartridge from airistech
Or edible/sublingual (I wouldn't put in a cart before winterisation though due to bits possibly clogging)

This is the way I consume feco most of the time now

It does have a brilliant sedative affect and is good for sleep as @Shredder mentioned

Very strong stuff

@felvapes would this winterized feco work in a cartridge vape like a ccell?

And if it did, how would it taste? I tried a dab with it and although it was powerful it just tasted like oil.
I don't know
I use my feco in the Hermes 3 and in my oil cart that came with the quaser they call it a ve10
I think it is a copy of the Hermes 3 but works better ime

Tastes like weed oil
Not mega strong, nothing like rosin
But the flavour is much nicer winterised and cleaner

Faint weed flavoured oil with a hefty punch and as you say good sedation

I carry this vape outdoors with me most of the time now
Light and looks like an ecig and you only need small hits to maintain

I managed to get most of the oil into a syringe the rest will go into brownies!
I filled the cart that came with my Quaser but have not tried it yet, I almost overfilled it as I could not get the oil to stop coming out of the syringe once it started,
IMG_20200228_204058.jpg

IMG_20200229_135732.jpg

I managed to get most of the oil into a syringe the rest will go into brownies!
I filled the cart that came with my Quaser but have not tried it yet, I almost overfilled it as I could not get the oil to stop coming out of the syringe once it started,
View attachment 16727
View attachment 16728
I don't fill mine that high
Should work the same though
Did you winterise that feco?
Just a thought, I didn't vape the oil in a cart before winterisation as it had more contaminants left on the halo
Was worried about it clogging carts or causing leaks
I've also not used a needle to suck up the oil, just the flat part of the syringe gets most up easily I found

Hope you find it as enjoyable and effective as I have

I've also not used a needle to suck up the oil, just the flat part of the syringe gets most up easily I found

If you warm it up a little, I use a coffee warmer, it gets more liquid and easier to move through a needle or to pour. Although it can also plug a needle.

I fill syringes by removing the plunger and pouring the oil in, then replace the plunger and invert to remove the cap and let out excess air while the oil is still warm and air bubbles move throughout well.

When dosing from a syringe I warm the syringe in a cup of hot water first so it moves easier. Then closely watch the plunger so as to not over shoot the dose. A little pull back on the plunger will stop drips.

To save a little money and effort I wash used rosin pucks with the same iso until it gets dark with oil before I render it down. I also strip older left over buds and scraps, jar kief, glass resins, and whatnot. Then I use much less ethanol to winterize. Ethanol is 5 times the cost of 99% iso for me.

The strength of the oil will be more than of rosin from the same herb. Less from abv, but abv oil is good for sleep and pain. I stopped saving abv cause im lazy, lol. My best guess on my winterized rso is about 85-90%. So proceed slowly on dosing, or expect a possible white knuckle ride. Not the worse thing I guess unless your in court or something.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back