Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Second Grow

I've done some defoliating in my time
And won't be doing that again :)
It stresses the plants and slows everything down too much for my liking
Altho it is good practice for learning to look after bonsai mothers

I'd go lightly with the feed for the next few days and get the fan on any open wounds to dry them out and stop mould taking hold.
You might want to pick up some Superthrive or Revive type additive to minimise the stress while they get used to their new look.

I don’t really understand the point of the experiment. Is it just for shits and giggles? Wouldn’t you want maximize your yield and have healthy plants?

Hold your horses!:horse:
I got your point already.

I'd go lightly with the feed for the next few days and get the fan on any open wounds to dry them out and stop mould taking hold.

Yes, I have been doing it exactly this way.
You might want to pick up some Superthrive or Revive type additive to minimise the stress while they get used to their new look.

I see, you mean something like the following:

As I said, observing the plants and adapting brings me to new ideas but still keeping my approach.
I have thought, now that I have started also with the LST and I can also clearly see what the branches are that need energy to grow and become stronger, having now started with the LST, the defoliation procedure will surely calm down because though basically my experiment is applying a hardcore defolitiation it doesn't mean that the technique will not change along the way. Those branches which are already nicely opened up thanks to the LST won't cover anything beneath, therefore the new fan leaves that will - hopefully - grow will not be any hindrance and removing them would neither make any sense nor justify its pupose for the experiment.

Let's see how things develop.

Now. I need a relaxing vape :smug:

Last edited:
lol OK so there is no point, understood.
There really is nothing new you can do when it comes to growing cannabis. All you’re doing at this point is abusing your plants IMO. But hey, that’s your choice. Good luck.

lol OK so there is no point, understood.
There really is nothing new you can do when it comes to growing cannabis.

:biggrin: I am afraid I don't agree. There is always something new in any field also there where one might think there aren't any more.

"And yet it moves"

All you’re doing at this point is abusing your plants IMO.
No, no, I am not abusing them :smackdown: - IMO -

But hey, that’s your choice.

of course mine! :myday:

Good luck.
Thanks - if it is meant seriously

Thanks - if it is meant seriously
I would say it's meant very seriously. @I'm Ron Burgundy? is no stranger to growing. And since you have been looking for advice, he was trying to give you his opinion to your extreme method of growing. You had also indicated needing more supply since your first harvest was so small. His advice was only towards that goal. :smile:

Let's remember it's hard to gauge intent when looking at the written word.... and give each other the benefit of the doubt.

@sballo
Dude, people have been growing cannabis for hundreds of years. There’s no special technique that’s going to give you super yield or super THC.

yes, we can agree to disagree. You are definitely stressing those plants. But hey, it’s a weed. I’m sure they’ll bounce back… hopefully no hermies.

And yes I do sincerely mean good luck.

I would say it's meant very seriously. @I'm Ron Burgundy? is no stranger to growing. And since you have been looking for advice, he was trying to give you his opinion to your extreme method of growing.

I didn't mean to compare my knowledge with the the experienced one of many growers out there and I am always thankful for advices and feedback. We all are, aren't we?

This is just my journey and this time I am not looking for advice and I know already what the majority would think.
I am just keeping a journal of this second grow but not asking for advice or opinion on the approach that I have been adopting. We all know - me too - that anyone would say: "hey, what are you doing there"?
I explained already the core of it:

here:

and here:

I didn't intent to stir up any wind here but honestly, it makes my journal even more interesting:dog:

You had also indicated needing more supply since your first harvest was so small. His advice was only towards that goal. :smile:

Yes, I need tons of :weed: :biggrin: because I love it

Dude, people have been growing cannabis for hundreds of years. There’s no special technique that’s going to give you super yield or super THC.

This doesn't stop me from experimenting :smug:

yes, we can agree to disagree.
:dancing:
You are definitely stressing those plants.
Of course I am! I do not doubt it!

But hey, it’s a weed. I’m sure they’ll bounce back…
I also think so, That is why I am doing, watching, observing, adapting, experimenting, watching, observing, adapting, learning.......

hopefully no hermies.

Let's see what transpires.
And yes I do sincerely mean good luck.
Thank you very much!:cheers:
:thumbsup:

Yes - or something like that

I've done some LSTing in my time tooo
And WILL be doing that again in the future :)
That's the skill to learn this grow imo ;)

Speaking solely of the LST. I am convinced that it makes more sense to apply it at this stage and condition of the plants rather than applying it right at the beginning of the vegetation stage (as I did in my first grow) , when the plants still have just a couple of branches.

Last edited:
@sballo i wasnt trying to offend or be pesimistic.. its just its only your second grow mate, you havent had an actual successful grow yet.. you are yet to pull 4oz of perfectly grown flower off a plant yet..
I just feel you should just get a few normal grows under your belt to learn from it..
What you are doing is just delaying your learning process imo..
Experimenting is all fun and games once you know what you are doing and you probably wouldnt experiment with the whole crop..

Again i mean no offence.. i just struggle to fathom your reasoning for this...
Also completely honestly its kinda funny.. if i posted this on grow forums.. well.. its funny..

@sballo i wasnt trying to offend or be pesimistic.. its just its only your second grow mate, you havent had an actual successful grow yet.. you are yet to pull 4oz of perfectly grown flower off a plant yet..
I just feel you should just get a few normal grows under your belt to learn from it..
What you are doing is just delaying your learning process imo..
Experimenting is all fun and games once you know what you are doing and you probably wouldnt experiment with the whole crop..

No, no, I do not feel offended at all :cheers::weed:

Thank you for your thoughts. Yes, I know what I am doing and I am curious to see how things develop/change.
As I said myself, "from a scientific point of view..."

Again i mean no offence.. i just struggle to fathom your reasoning for this...
Also completely honestly its kinda funny.. if i posted this on grow forums.. well.. its funny..

Yes. being honest, frank and direct has always been something that I prefer. The opposite of the Japanese way of doing :doh: - always hiding behind a mask -
I have now become accustomed to our nice forum here :treadmill:, therefore I do not have the need to post my journal on a grow forum - though it wouldn't make a big difference indeed because although our forum is rather a vaporasylum than "specifically" a growform nevertheless we have a grow room section here and experienced growers in our forum are also not missing.

Therefore, I wouldn't hesitate to post it on "grow forums" either. Why should I?
So if you or other - or even all other growers on this planet - found/find it funny, then I am pleased to know that this journal will somehow entertain/amuse you :thumbsup:, especially because "funny" is an interesting word which has more than one meaning depending on the context: amusing, strange, suspicious, cheeky, sick, crazy.
It's really funny, isn't it?! :biggrin:

By the way, I have just applied some more LST to other branches.

1664363553035.jpg
1664363553053.jpg
1664363553062.jpg

Last edited:
You might say, I'm a dreamer but I am convinced that the hardore-defoliation-approach did something positive -apart from the momentary stress that it caused.
As I said already, from a scientific point of view, it would make sense to have an empiric comparison because without comparison I can't tell with certainty whether the results that I have noticed are really due to my approach. Nevertheless, I feel quite sure of this and it makes sense to me that all those small new branches :weed: would not have arisen otherwise.

:myday:I can reckon that it doesn't meant that the more branches a plant has the better the yield will be or that all those branches will ultimately bring good results. In fact, there are experienced growers who swear by the fact that pruning your plants thus removing small branches will make sure to bring more energy to the bigger branches and achieve better results. Along the way, I will see/recognise/learn what branches might as well be removed but I think that I will not remove any in this grow.
I'll be focusing on those branches which though indeed still small nevertheless seem promising, apart on the bigger ones of course!

1664421797901.jpg

Anyway, my plan is not to - as some might think - defoliate the plants like a crazy :spidey: just for shits and giggles, without even having a plan/purpose or reasoning. :doh:

Let's sum up what I have done so far:
  • After circa 10 days of the vegetation stage,I carried out a light defoliation first, slowly focusing on the first coming branches.
  • After that, I have carried out two drastic defoliation-sessions:smackdown:with one week recovering time in between.
  • Afterwards I started with the LST.
There is still much to do with the LST but I think that this is really a good start. All the branches are exposed and pointed towards the light source.
From this point, the next step is to focus on all the existing branches and supporting them. This means that the intensity of the defoliation is going to drop.
From now on, I am not aiming at new branches. Now it is time to make them all - more or less - grow and become stronger.
Thanks to the LST and the exposition of the branches, there will be no need any longer to remove more fan leaves than needed. I will stick to my plan adopting both the defoliation and LST but I consider this now to be

the next stage of the plan, whose aim is not exposing as much of the plant as possible thus encouraging/supporting the grow of new branches but to focus on the existing branches and make them grow. Only fan leaves that - in my personal opinion - cause hindrance will be removed.

As I said: I am stickig to my plan but always observing how the plants react. They will show me on the way what should be done next. I will adapt but stick to my plan.:myday:

Last edited:
Did you know that if you think about setting light to a plant, it knows and releases stress hormones.. this is a fact.. feel free to google..

Point is i bet everytime you unzip your tent, your poor little plants crap themselves...
Oh noo its the plant butcher again..
If only they had legs to run...

Joking aside.. they seem to be recovering.. hopefully at not too much expense of growth.. i defo would not defoliate again at this point...:whipit::weed:

You might have not noticed it but in this defoliation session (see the above posting) I removed less leaves. As I said already:
Anyway, my plan is not to - as some might think - defoliate the plants like a crazy :spidey: just for shits and giggles, without even having a plan/purpose or reasoning. :doh:

So, yes this time I removed "only" specific leaves. In fact, this was the next step that I explained here:

The next stage of the plan, whose aim is not exposing as much of the plant as possible thus encouraging/supporting the grow of new branches but to focus on the existing branches and make them grow. Only fan leaves that - in my personal opinion - cause hindrance will be removed.

I'm just curious.... how many more times do you plan on defoliating?

I guess that I will do a last one. I still don't know yet..... Maybe this was the last.
I will observe how the plants react.

Anyway I plan to give them at least two weeks 100% peace with no stress at all (no defoliation or LST) bevor the switch.

Did you know that if you think about setting light to a plant, it knows and releases stress hormones.. this is a fact.. feel free to google..
Please stop playing the bitchy teacher:rant: :biggrin:
It's really appreciated :secret:
I know what I'm doing.

Point is i bet everytime you unzip your tent, your poor little plants crap themselves...
Oh noo its the plant butcher again..
If only they had legs to run...
:biggrin:it's true :whipit::weed:

Clearly you don’t. :thumbsup:

I was sure that such a obtuse, dull , brazen insolence would appear again :dog:
I guess: The Dunning-Kruger effect or inferiority complex:argh:
Well, it is not my problem and I am sorry that I cannot help.

Anyway, after one day they are looking really great - in my opinion -
The branches are all exposed and looking up.
I have just applied a bit more LST on two more branches.
They are also very thirsty. Drinking a lot.

1664947944699.jpg

Beat me to it...
I guess: The Dunning-Kruger effect or inferiority complex
Look mate.. no one i just out to be a dick here.. its just you asked for advice, then proceeded to ignor it all and do some unheard of stuff...
Its fun to watch your journey actually as its not a conventional grow..
But i can assure you that if you followed others advice here, you would of got far better yeild of a far superior product..
Thats my guess from what i know from years of cultivation..
Who knows maybe im wrong and this is thr best way to grow... but seems highly unlikely...

When are you gonna flip the switch and go for the stretch ?

Beat me to it...

Look mate.. no one i just out to be a dick here.. its just you asked for advice, then proceeded to ignor it all and do some unheard of stuff...
Its fun to watch your journey actually as its not a conventional grow..
But i can assure you that if you followed others advice here, you would of got far better yeild of a far superior product..
Thats my guess from what i know from years of cultivation..
Who knows maybe im wrong and this is thr best way to grow... but seems highly unlikely...
Wait wait, please now don't turn the tables :biggrin:
I think the time has come to clarify this inconvenient fact once and for all.
I am afraid you that is where you are wrong, dear @Kellya86. You are really changing the tables and I cannot understand the reason why you have this urge.
First of all, please keep your interpretation for yourself. I have not said that someone here is out to be a dick.
You and the other amusing guy/girl are constructing a story all by yourself.

• I did not ask for any advice for this personal journey/experiment. Why would I? It wouldn't make any sense and you know why? because none of you have ever tried/come up with this unconventional approach. Call it crazy, I cannot change it. Deal with it! This is just a journal of my crazy grow :razz2: that I am sharing with you. I think you might want to read my thread again? I have already commented on this and other things. For example, I clearly said what I am doing in this grow and that I am not asking for advice in this grow. :

what I have in mind: https://vaporasylum.com/threads/second-grow.1597/#post-90499

I am not seeking advice in this grow : https://vaporasylum.com/threads/second-grow.1597/page-2#post-90545

Besides, don't call those "smart sayings" of you advice. They aren't. And one doesn't need to be a clairvoyant to feel the irony, laughter and judgement:

Is it just for shits and giggles?

this is even nasty and getting too far.
Beat me to it...
This too.

And come on, stop saying "years of cultivation, experience etc. etc."
It is not about that at all! Nobody - me at any rate - is questioning the experience and knowledge of growers that have been growing for ages. I even said myself the following. You might want to read it again:

In this grow (my second) I want to experiment with a hardcore defoliation approach. I haven't seen either :dog: such a hardcore defoliation anywhere.
It looks insane .:smilie-devil:

Yes, I can follow and comprehend your point and I know that many [even myself] might think: "What the hell is that?" etc. etc.
But I am just sticking to my plan and always observing how the plants react. They will show me on the way what should be done next. I will adapt but stick to a plan

And believe it or not but I am toying with the idea that:

https://vaporasylum.com/threads/second-grow.1597/page-2#post-90595 :smug:

When are you gonna flip the switch and go for the stretch ?

Honestly, I don't know. As I said, I definitely want to give them at least two weeks of peace [no stress at all] before switching.
The current week should be the 7th week?
On the 17th of August I posted the pic of the newly germinated ladies:

I don't know how long I should leave them vegetate. Maybe three weeks?

I think I need now a nice bonghit

I wish you all also a nice bonghit:weed:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back