Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Second Grow

sballo

My two photoperiodics are there. :weed: I bought the strains El padron and - Chocolate Haze. This time I ordered by Royal Queen.
I haven't given them any nutrients for the first week after popping out, though the General Hydroponics table reads that you should start feeding at the roots stage. I didn't. I started with the nutrients two days ago. I fed them only once. Yesterday I gave them only a bit of Water. (of course with the right PH level).
El Padron is now showing the first signs of discomfort. :ko:
The lights (each plant has its own Mars Hydro Ts-1000) are set at a distance of around 45 cm - maybe too close?? - and I am keeping the light intensity at 75%
It is of course very difficult to find out what the problem is. It could be anything.
What do you guess?

1660710582251.jpg

It is really impressive how fast and happily my two new ladies are growing :aaaaa:
The chocolate haze (the one on the left) is growing quite bushy, isn't it. It might be the characteristic of this strain. Anyway, I am considering removing those huge fan leaves from the top. They are entirely covering all the other leaves underneath.

One positive things that I have noticed of my second growing so far compared to the first one is that both plants haven't stretched. They are nicely low.
This time I made sure to provide them during the first days with light (50 % power) set quite close to them.
Now I am running the light at 100% power and I set the lamps higher (around 50 cm away)

1661833830820.jpg

plants haven't stretched.
They will stretch a little during the 4 weeks after turning to the light to 12/12 to start the flowering period.
The thread title is now incorrect, you have out-grown it! Time to move into,

They will stretch a little during the 4 weeks after turning to the light to 12/12 to start the flowering period.
The thread title is now incorrect, you have out-grown it! Time to move into,

Oh, I have just realized that I am not a "first grower" any more. :thinker:

Therefore, I would like to ask #mom or others who have administration rights of this forum to kindly move my postings starting from this one:

to the most appropriate open thread into this section "The Cananbis growroom". I anyway doubt that it would suit well into the thread "post your Cannabis Plant Pictures"

I anyway doubt that it would suit well into the thread "post your Cannabis Plant Pictures"
It will fit right in...cute babies...how quickly they grow!

Though those gigantic leaves looked great and juicy, I removed them. They were covering all the small leaves underneath.
I feel that it was a good decision.

With my first grow, I started training the plants about this stage but this time instead of bending the main stem as I did with my first grown, I thought I will wait a bit longer (four nodes?!) and then top them. I think that it makes more sense to start training the plants after topping them and after the branches have become a bit longer.

Here a picture of the two ladies after their first defoliation :weed: :

1661926328549.jpg

By the way, I was wondering what are those white stains on the cloth pots?
I thought it could be salt buildup?

1661926476042.jpg

But I haven't been giving them too much nutrients (I think :thinker:)
Do you actually give water your plants always with nutrients in it or how?
The PH is also correct.

I haven't given them any water for the last two days. The pots are getting lighter. I will then water them properly with nutrients to see how they react.
Anyway, this is an update of the two ladies in their process of regeneration after the defoliation.

1662634421751.jpg

By the way, has anyone of you by any chance tried these two strains? Chocolate haze and El Padron?

A short update of my two young ladies. I think that they are doing well.
During my first grow at this stage I would be doing /experimenting with LST but this time I still haven't applied any LST.
I have become a fan of the defoliation :weed:
There are many theories about the defoliation procedure out there, such as when to do it, how to do it, how many / which fan leaves to remove etc etc.
I might be defoliating a lot - for some other growers - but I am simply experimenting with defoliation and always observing how the plants react.
I am giving them some rest - the last defoliation was two days ago - :whipit:before continuing with defoliating them.
Many says that the right time to top a plant is when it has grown 5 nodes. Both :weed:have more than 5. At the next defoliation (looking forward to it:freak:) I might top only one of them though I am tempted to top both of them but it would be reasonable to have the chance to carry out an empiric comparison and see if topping is really worth.

It might be that using the defoliation [also some pruning later on] approach will not require any LST. It is still too early to judge it. Let's see what transpires.

1663154576798.jpg

After exactly one week, another hardcore :whipit::weed: defoliation!
By the way, one of the two - the left one [Chocolate haze] - has been topped.
As I said, I decided to top only one, though I'd like to top both actually, in order to have an empirical comparison.

Before:

1664200999638.jpg

after:

1664200999632.jpg

Still no LST but I might start with it tomorrow - before it gets too bushy again - because I think that the branches have reached a good length to start practicing the LST and now that they are naked, I can see all branches better thus I can apply the LTS more accurately.

to be cotinued...

Jesus dude why did you takeoff so many fan leaves?
A great question deserves a great answer :ko:

In this grow (my second) I want to experiment with a hardcore defoliation approach. I haven't seen either :dog: such a hardcore defoliation anywhere.
It looks insane .:smilie-devil:

I'm enjoying experimenting with this approach and I might even dare saying that it shows benefits such as more branchese have come out. :myday:

From a scientific point of view, it would make sense to have a comparison with other plants on which I wouldn't adopt such a drastic defoliation in order to see whether it is more beneficial or harmful.

I might carry on a such comparison in my next grow.

In this grow, both plants are subjected to my devil defoliation procedere but one of the two has been topped but the other not. Therefore, I'm comparing a topped plant with a untopped one.

Actually, even this comparison is still not very accurate because the two plants are two different strains.

Anyway, it's impressive how fast and how many new fanleaves had grown in only one week after a hardcore defoliation ( See pictures above).

I took advantage of the situation :goofy: to start doing some LST.
Of course, I didn't deal with all branches! I started with those which could be easily opened up downwards.
It makes much more sense to me starting with LST at this stage and in this way.

In my first grow. I started with the LST right at the beginning of the vegetation stage:

Hier are some pictures:

1664269579636.jpg
1664269579646.jpg
1664269579653.jpg
1664269579661.jpg
1664269579669.jpg

I took advantage of the situation :goofy: to start doing some LST.
Of course, I didn't deal with all branches! I started with those which could be easily opened up downwards.
It makes much more sense to me starting with LST at this stage and in this way.

In my first grow. I started with the LST right at the beginning of the vegetation stage:

Hier are some pictures:

View attachment 40359View attachment 40360View attachment 40361View attachment 40362View attachment 40363
You do like to make like difficult eh???
I really think you should have stuck to the basics for this one.. your first grow didnt get enough attention.. and now you are butchering these poor ladies..
A little stress build a stronger plant yes, but this is like alot of stress.. i certainly wouldnt do it again.. you are likely just losing out on your veg stage.. you want to naximise growth in this short time so as so yield alot of flower... if you continue to be so mean to them, they gonna hermie for sure...

As always good luck..

You do like to make like difficult eh???

No, I am just sticking to my plan for this grow.
I really think you should have stuck to the basics for this one.. your first grow didnt get enough attention.. and now you are butchering these poor ladies.

I appreciate your opinion and yes as for my first grow at the very end the plants did not get enough attention - I was on holiday on the other side of the planet connected via the Internet with a great system that I arranged at home -

But all in all my first grow was a pure success!
It is important to be considered that there was even the question whether to simply let the plants die because they had just started flowering but I had to fly to Europe.
I still remember that @Hippie positive attitude motivated me more and I came up with the idea of arranging a system through which I could water, flush and of course provide with sun the plants left back in Japan.

You said

"Gotta be honest.. if @sballo ends up with useable product.. i will be amazed, and deeply impressed.."

Well, at the end I had - despite of my sloppiness when I was in Europe - a good and useable product that I have been consuming with pleasure.
[I have just had one vape session bonghit:biggrin:)

Here is the result and my admitting having been sloppy while on vacation in Europe:

A little stress build a stronger plant yes, but this is like alot of stress.. i certainly wouldnt do it again.. you are likely just losing out on your veg stage.. you want to naximise growth in this short time so as so yield alot of flower... if you continue to be so mean to them, they gonna hermie for sure...

As always good luck..

Yes, I can follow and comprehend your point and I know that many [even myself] might think: "What the hell is that?" etc. etc.
But I am just sticking to my plan and always observing how the plants react. They will show me on the way what should be done next. I will adapt but stick to a plan.

"Gotta be honest.. if @sballo ends up with useable product.. i will be amazed, and deeply impressed.."

Well, at the end I had - despite of my sloppiness when I was in Europe - a good and useable product that I have been consuming with pleasure.
Yeah fair play i am impressed..

This time ill be impressed if it doesnt hermie and produce seeds.. theres your challege..

Yeah fair play i am impressed..

:smug:
This time ill be impressed if it doesnt hermie and produce seeds.. theres your challege..

Yes, I have noticed your pessimistic view last time already and thank you for creating from it sort of a new challenge but I am not interested in challenges but in investigation. :myday:

However, a new investigation is always a kind of challenge.

Let's see what transpires...

Anyway, I am now curious to see how they recover and how much the branches grow.

Last edited:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back