Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Seeds

I'm thinking of starting seeds soon. The seedlings will have to be under light until they are big enough to move outside. I need to set up a light, and figure out number of hours a day. They will be moved, so I don't want them used to 18 hours or anything. I've had enough light issues with clones. Still, it's time to start, so I have reading to do. I also don't know if any place in the house is warm enough. I'm hoping the lights will warm the sprouts.

I'm thinking of starting seeds soon. The seedlings will have to be under light until they are big enough to move outside. I need to set up a light, and figure out number of hours a day. They will be moved, so I don't want them used to 18 hours or anything. I've had enough light issues with clones. Still, it's time to start, so I have reading to do. I also don't know if any place in the house is warm enough. I'm hoping the lights will warm the sprouts.

Ive had pretty good luck with both cfl and led lights that resemble regular light bulbs. And now the prices have come down.

For plants they need light. 18 to 24 hr is what I always use. What screws them up is lights going on and off at strange times or 12 hr of dark that puts them in flower. Moving shouldn't hurt them as long as the dark period isn't too long. A good weather app should tell you hours of light and dark to use as a guide. Temperature wise it helps to harden them off with increasing hours of outside time until they get conditioned.

One tip for seeds is to use very little dirt and then add dirt as the stem shoots up. You keep burying the stem. That way the plant has more stability than those long thread like stems that commonly happen.

Ive had pretty good luck with both cfl and led lights that resemble regular light bulbs. And now the prices have come down.

For plants they need light. 18 to 24 hr is what I always use. What screws them up is lights going on and off at strange times or 12 hr of dark that puts them in flower. Moving shouldn't hurt them as long as the dark period isn't too long. A good weather app should tell you hours of light and dark to use as a guide. Temperature wise it helps to harden them off with increasing hours of outside time until they get conditioned.

One tip for seeds is to use very little dirt and then add dirt as the stem shoots up. You keep burying the stem. That way the plant has more stability than those long thread like stems that commonly happen.
Thank you, @Shredder. I actually have a 4 x 6 tent and led lights. I'm thinking my closet might be the best place to start. I got a late start last year, then tossed everything, then started over and was really late. This year I hope to do better, but doesn't every gardener say that?
I love clones, but around here 24 hour lights seem common for dispensaries and even if I wait until May to put them out, they aren't happy and want to flower too soon.. As long as I can keep my seeds from thinking they are clones, I think we all stand a chance. The temperature in the house doesn't get much above 50*, so I might need a heat matt if the lights don't warm the seedlings.
I'm trying to start early so there is time for mistakes. The tip about burying the stem seems like a great idea. Thank you again, @Shredder. The grow book helps, but nothing like hearing from an expert.

@Shredder, my seeds are in pucks, and some have sprouted. Do I add extra soil to stems right away? Is Foxfarms potting soil OK? I've never grown indoors, and as much as I know this is for an outdoor grow, it sure looks indoors to me.
It went like this, soak for 24 hours Oh My Lord, I Have The Flu, then crawl over, move seeds from cups to pucks. Now panic because we have no heat, and it's cold in the house. @Madri-Guy drug up grow lights from the tent in the basement (a terrible place to try and grow) and put them up in my closet. He drug a fan in. He brought up a timer. It's starting to look a lot like Christmas. That is, I'm not growing indoors, and until I run water and vents into the closet, I don't think it counts. But, looks like growing indoors. Maybe if I drag plants outside each day...
I have nice books by Ed and George. I have pictures of bud growing in Spain. How have I managed to figure anything out, and ever get a crop in? Is it late to start? Would a cold frame/greenhouse be better?

@Shredder, my seeds are in pucks, and some have sprouted. Do I add extra soil to stems right away? Is Foxfarms potting soil OK? I've never grown indoors, and as much as I know this is for an outdoor grow, it sure looks indoors to me.
It went like this, soak for 24 hours Oh My Lord, I Have The Flu, then crawl over, move seeds from cups to pucks. Now panic because we have no heat, and it's cold in the house. @Madri-Guy drug up grow lights from the tent in the basement (a terrible place to try and grow) and put them up in my closet. He drug a fan in. He brought up a timer. It's starting to look a lot like Christmas. That is, I'm not growing indoors, and until I run water and vents into the closet, I don't think it counts. But, looks like growing indoors. Maybe if I drag plants outside each day...
I have nice books by Ed and George. I have pictures of bud growing in Spain. How have I managed to figure anything out, and ever get a crop in? Is it late to start? Would a cold frame/greenhouse be better?

Now that they have started I would plant them in dirt. I start seedlings in beer cups with drain holes in the bottoms Foxfarms should be ok.

I'd wait on nutrients until roots become developed. Too early can kill shorties. And be gentle until they're older.

Judge water needs by the cups weight. Too much water can rot young roots.

Young plants do better with warm temps. A seedling mat is helpful. I like at least 70°F. Temps up to 90°F is ok.

You won't need much light for shorties. But with light comes heat, so with light heat, that might be enough, and no supplemental heat would be needed.

Great tip! I had some fall over and die due to not doing this (a few years ago).
I am thinking it is time for another try at some different strains, looking at these,
1670901764322.jpg

That Cafe Racer is 70% Sativa with up to 35% THC!
Apple Betty grows huge (up to 92 Oz per plant outdoors) and may have a chocolate taste with 60% indica @32% THC
I went with high THC and Cannabis Cup winners so should be a good spread of traits...anything/strain I should add?
I usually have 100% success rate taking clones but sprouting seeds is pretty foreign to me but I think my cloning kit should work fine for the job...I only use perlite and vermiculite so seed raising mix will be a new experience...I hope I don't get my hands dirty! :rofl:

It's good to see that you are thinking about how to get seeds for those who need them. The legalization of cannabis in Canada has indeed brought with it many restrictions. However, it's important to remember that cannabis laws are constantly evolving and changing. And this is true until cannabis becomes genuinely legal. There will always be "gray areas" regarding rules and regulations.

Last edited:
Speaking of seeds.
I wanted to germinate two new seeds (Lemon Shining Silver Haze & HulkBerry)
The Lemon germinated extremely quickly, the HulkBerry a bit slower but both hat their radicle emerged.
The radicle of HulkBerry was still very small as I panted both sprouts in two small disposable coffee cups.
The Lemon has already four small leaves:weed:
The Hulkberry did not come out of the soil. I have just given it a check and I found the seed but no radicle on it!:myday:

I have just put the seed back into a wet tissue paper. Let's see.

Has everyone ever experienced the same? Am I wasting my time or will the seed sprout again? :idon'tknow:
I will wait a couple of days and then maybe throw it away?!...

bonghit

It sounds like it rotted away and died. The seed won't sprout a second time. But there's nothing wrong with waiting a bit to see what transpires. Not every seed is viable.

I also fear that it is like that; A seed would never sprout a second time, right?.....hm...I think it won't...:rip:

But I will just wait for a bit more to see what transpires :science:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back