Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tips Should I or should I not decarb my hemp flower in preparation for edibles

jeffp

I like buying hemp flower (smalls by the ounce) and making CBD edibles, and on one hand I've read (I think on the Ardent site) that it's recommended to decarb hemp flower for two cycles in the Nova, which is what I've done in the past. Yet a seemingly very knowledgeable person advised me not to decarb hemp as the heat destroys valuable properties, and that only a slow or cold infusion is advised. I don't know about that, but very soon it will be time to start the process of making edibles again (infusing in sous vide) and I'd like some guidance and viewpoints regarding the decarbing. Thank you!

I like buying hemp flower (smalls by the ounce) and making CBD edibles, and on one hand I've read (I think on the Ardent site) that it's recommended to decarb hemp flower for two cycles in the Nova, which is what I've done in the past. Yet a seemingly very knowledgeable person advised me not to decarb hemp as the heat destroys valuable properties, and that only a slow or cold infusion is advised. I don't know about that, but very soon it will be time to start the process of making edibles again (infusing in sous vide) and I'd like some guidance and viewpoints regarding the decarbing. Thank you!

A lot of people are using hemp right now to go after certain compounds
I think CBGA is one of them
This would require a non decarb extraction

So I guess it depends on what you are using it for

I think for my next go round I'll bypass the decarb and do a cold infusion (flower and oil together in a jar, left alone for a week).
Strange you mentioned this as I'm in the process of making a full spectrum hemp butter. I was told by hemp farmers to decarb my hemp twice as long as weed for maximum decarboxylation. I've been using 80 minutes at 240 degrees. I have noticed the latest thing around here is hemp rosin edibles :thumbsup:. I'm tempted to do an overnight infusion without decarbing before hand for my next batch. Low temp 170 degrees, longer infusing time 12 hours :thumbsup:. Decarb is still being accomplished and minor cannabinoids remain unscathed. How do like the Sous Vide ?

It's hard to discern the loss or retention of properties with cbd because it's so subtle to begin with.
for me, i like the combined effect of cbd edibles with vaping good bud.
actually in that space i think i will be able to discern.
i mainly make cbd edibles to help my girlfriend sleep.
that's my main interest.
so perhaps the double cycle of decarbing in the Nova is what's best.

I love using the sous vide for edibles.
I use the Nova for decarbing but I know the sous vide works very well for that.
The infusions with the sous are excellent. Similar in result to what I've experienced with the
magical butter machine but because it's a slower, more gentle infusion, there's a subtle earthiness and depth to the high, I think as a result,
that's nice.
I had bought the sous vide cheap, used, just as an experiment, and I honestly didn't expect to be as impressed as I am.
It's also great for steak.

Well, if its CBD you are after, then breaking off the acid complex from CBD-A thru decarboxylation is your huckleberry.

If not, then don't.

I don't have much to add about CBD as it has never done anything for me except kill my THC buzz. A lot of people, however, do find it helpful for many things. Just not me.

Good luck

Well, if its CBD you are after, then breaking off the acid complex from CBD-A thru decarboxylation is your huckleberry.

If not, then don't.

I don't have much to add about CBD as it has never done anything for me except kill my THC buzz. A lot of people, however, do find it helpful for many things. Just not me.

Good luck

Yes, agree, decarb is the huckleberry in the room.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back