Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy Should I wait and buy a 5G phone?

CarolKing

Always in search of the perfect vaporizer
There are a lot of good deals out there with phones right now. I’m an IPhone fan so I will be waiting for an IPhone 12 rather than getting a phone now. I still have my iPhone 6S. I feel ready for an upgrade. My battery isn’t doing so well. I use an iPad Pro so they interchange really well with each other. I probably won’t buy the most expensive one. Hopefully this week we will hear something about it. Normally I don’t pay much attention to high tech stuff. I guess I need to divert my attention elsewhere. I need something to look forward to.:treadmill::dogpile:

I am/was in the same boat, my 5 year old Xiaomi Note 3 battery is only lasting a couple of days (I used to get 2 weeks) and would never get an Apple product, just too expensive for what you get IMO.
I settled on the new Xiaomi POCO X3 as it was only US$275 (6gb/128gb), I do not game on my phone so no real need for 5G for me.
Tin foil hat time...I like the idea of China knowing all my details rather than my local gov or the US as China can't do anything directly to me with that info...except personalise my DHGate and Ali shopping.:sherlock:

My old laptop is also slow for any video editing as I have discovered so the fast processor in the POCO will be good for video editing on my phone until I get around to building a new desktop.
Another bonus of a gaming orientated phone is the quad wifi antenna on the POCO for me as my camera drones will communicate better for further than what I have now.

I did look into iphones and was amazed at how many models and varients they offer, no wonder you asked for advice @CarolKing .

I don’t do any gaming at all I just want my phone updated. As you see I don’t upgrade very often. I don’t usually require the newest and best. Just good timing with all the talk about 5G. I would imagine there will be glitches. I probably would wait a couple months until I hear all the issues a head of time. Let them sort things out. I have Verizon as a phone company. I will want to get a good deal. If too many problems I might decide on sticking with 4 G. Could they slowly try to phaseout 4G Phones? Make everybody feel they have slow phones.

Last edited:

AT&T
AT&T has a new Netgear 5G hotspot, and this time it is allowing anyone to buy it.
Called the Netgear Nighthawk 5G Mobile Hotspot Pro, the device will be available on Sept. 18 for $510, or $17 per month on a 30-month installment plan. The new Nighthawk will be able to access AT&T's full 5G portfolio including its nationwide low-band service as well as the faster millimeter-wave 5G network that is available in parts of 35 cities.

nighthawk5g-1

AT&T's new Nightgear 5G Mobile Hotspot Pro.
AT&T

I guess I shouldn’t worry about this.:juggle: I’ve always been happy with my phone service through Verizon. It’s expensive. My brother used to have so much trouble with TMobile. I would tell him to change services. Don’t know if they have problems anymore.

The Achilles heel of mmWave networks like Verizon's, is their miniscule coverage. Base stations have to be situated every 1000 feet or so in dense urban areas, whereas Sprint's mid- and T-Mobile's low- and mid-bands can produce signal that travels much farther.

What's more, while Verizon's Ultra Wideband (UWB) mmWave network offers the fastest speeds and thus marketing bombast at the initial rollout, the spectrum has very low penetration rates.

So low, in fact, that the signal can get easily dispersed by the phone's glass body, and it has trouble getting through your hands holding the phone, let alone trees, buildings, and even windows, that is why there are UWB-marked 5G models at Verizon, more expensive and with more antennas inside. Well, Verizon just announced that this state of affairs may not last long, or else it risks to keep being taunted about it by T-Mobile.

Taunting Verizon over its 5G network is T-Mobile's favorite pastime - Verizon's indoor tests with Samsung counter all that T-Mobile 5G signal penetration trolling

Taunting Verizon over its 5G network is T-Mobile's favorite pastime

Verizon aims to solve its 5G network building penetration

To solve the mmWave penetration puzzle, Verizon has teamed up with Samsung (for the indoor base stations), and Corning (for the fiber optic) in test setups that it says will offer all the advantages of its UWB network - high speeds, load, and low latency - indoors.

Specifically, Verizon mentions hospitals, manufacturing facilities, warehouses, schools, ports, retail stores and more, or places that need connectivity, and fast. Its 5G station partnership with Samsung is going into the indoor direction now, albeit still in the lab test phase. According to Magnus Ojert, Vice President, Networks Division, Samsung Electronics America:

The switch to 5G wireless technology could leave millions of older vehicles cut off from emergency services

The switch to 5G wireless technology could leave millions of older vehicles cut off from emergency services unless manufacturers upgrade systems.
(Cadillac)
By DAVID LAZARUSBUSINESS COLUMNIST
SEP. 24, 2020
6 AM
Telecom companies want people to focus on the benefits of state-of-the-art 5G wireless technology: faster speeds, greater reliability.
But for possibly millions of car owners, the transition to 5G may mean you’ll be losing something you value: your on-board emergency-contact system.

Simi Valley resident Patrick O’Bryan received an email from Lexus the other day notifying him that his 2016 RX 350’s Enform wireless emergency services will be terminated Oct. 31, 2022, as existing 3G technology gives way to 5G.

These services include the emergency-assistance button, automatic collision notification, enhanced roadside assistance, remote engine start, remote door unlock, vehicle finder help and other features.

The change will affect an unspecified number of Lexus vehicles sold between 2010 and 2018.
“These are regular features for expensive cars,” O’Bryan, 76, told me. “I never dreamed they would end.”
He added: “If I had known this would happen, I would have bought a different car.”

It’s well-known that a car starts depreciating in value as soon as you drive it off the lot. But it’s remarkable that luxury vehicles purchased within the last few years would experience such a significant loss in functionality because of changing technology standards.

I would not worry about 3G shutting down, 4G would be something to worry about...tech moves on and so do manufacturers, 27MHz radios aren't monitored by the CoastGaurd here (officially) any more thanks to VHF being adopted as the norm here.

There are a lot of good deals out there with phones right now. I’m an IPhone fan so I will be waiting for an IPhone 12 rather than getting a phone now. I still have my iPhone 6S. I feel ready for an upgrade. My battery isn’t doing so well. I use an iPad Pro so they interchange really well with each other. I probably won’t buy the most expensive one. Hopefully this week we will hear something about it. Normally I don’t pay much attention to high tech stuff. I guess I need to divert my attention elsewhere. I need something to look forward to.:treadmill::dogpile:
Not an Apple user, but I'd look at the slightly older 4G phones with the best specs that will be dumped on the market when 5G does become more adopted. Preferably unused and at the tail run of the last production run. Apple might even sell you last months model cheaper just to clean house. UNLESS bandwidth matters and you are willing to be an earlier adopter to 5G. Oh wait, can you still trade in your old Iphone for a discount on your new one? That'd be cool if they did. :hmm:

I don't understand buying bleeding edge Apple products. Any electronics that is being manufactured might be better to choice to wait before they make there first million units and work out the expected bugs and updates and perhaps even recalls. Then I'd pull the trigger when the problems get a little more ubiquitous. :twocents:

how-to-get-5g-verizon-plan-iphone-12.jpg

In the process of ordering an iPhone 12, I noticed what seemed like a strange alert that I needed to change my Verizon plan to be able to use 5G. That’s despite having what I thought was the carrier’s latest unlimited plan. Follow along for how to make sure you’ve got a 5G Verizon plan and what to look out for.

TL;DR: Even if you think you have a current unlimited plan with Verizon that includes 5G, you may need to update your plan which doesn’t cost more on face value, but may include different “perks.” These perks could save you money or cost you more when changing plans. Read on for all the details.

As part of the process of ordering the iPhone with Verizon, I got this alert:
Your device is 5G Ultra Wideband ready, but your plan isn’t. In order to take advantage of all that 5G UW has to offer, upgrade to a plan that includes this service. If you stay on your current plan, you’ll still have 4G LTE and 5G nationwide network access but you’ll miss out on this upgraded service.
There was an option to upgrade my plan but that threw me off since we have what I thought was a current Unlimited plan with Verizon (Do More Unlimited). So I decided to pause and do some research before changing plans.
Here’s what I found on Verizon’s website for plan details:
Verizon 5G plans

I thought this was weird, because, our current plan is the Do More Unlimited and what Verizon’s website showed was that it included 5G/4G LTE premium data (up to 50GB per month). I double-checked, and yeah we have the Do More Unlimited. So what’s up with the alert?
  • how-to-get-5g-verizon-plan-confusion.png

How to get a 5G Verizon plan​

I called Verizon and talked with a nice and knowledgeable rep. Curious enough, even though the plans from 2019 are named the same as the 2020 ones (shown above) there are previous-gen and new-gen plans that don’t and do include 5G.
The pricing hasn’t changed, but what has changed in addition to 5G being included with the latest generation of Verizon Wireless unlimited plans is the perks that are included (which actually could change the price, for instance, if you have an Apple Watch on your plan).

When you go to change the plans yourself, you’ll see them differentiated with “5G UW” added at the end making things clear. The latest-gen plans aren’t more expensive, but the perks can change the overall value. Another important note, each line can have a different Unlimited plan.
The rep I talked to didn’t say that my plan would automatically update to a 5G plan when activating an iPhone 12 with Verizon (I did end up buying my iPhone 12 directly through Apple instead of Verizon, set to be activated with my existing Verizon number).
How to change to a 5G Verizon plan

Here’s how the new perks stack up for the latest Play More, Do More and Get More Unlimited Plans from Verizon:
how-to-get-5g-verizon-plan-perks.png
Left: Play More, Middle: Do more, Right, Get More
When changing your plan, pay attention to the perks that are available now compared to last year or earlier (or whenever you last changed plans). For example, if you want Disney+, Hulu, ESPN included, you need the Play More or Get More now.
But if you want 50% off Unlimited connected device plans like with a cellular Apple Watch, you need the Do More or Get More.
Only the Get More plan includes both of those perks plus Apple Music. So long story short, even though the new 5G plans aren’t more expensive, depending on the perks you want compared to the previous-gen unlimited plans’ perks, you could see your bill go up or down a bit.

Carol, there’s no real, good reason to spring for “5G” phone now..early adoption of “5G” has few if any benefits beyond buzzword compliance.

I understand wanting to upgrade your phone, I’m still on my 6s as well, but it’s fine for everything I actually care about - my iPad does all the heavy lifting, and my phone is a perfectly adequate smartphone. If it really is time for you to jump up, get yourself an 11 - or even a 10: those are great phones, and probably heavily discounted now.

@ClearBlueLou it sounds like we have the same setup. I think you are right. I probably should just buy an iPhone that just fits my needs. I could get a good deal on a phone that’s been out for a year or so. I wouldn’t even worry about getting a new phone but the battery isn’t the same as it once was. It drastically goes down power wise fast after 50%. The 5G service looks to be more expensive as well. I don’t need to have the newest and the hottest product like some folks. I can’t believe the 6s is from 2015. I think I’ve had my phone for 4 years. It must have been a year old when I bought it.

My iPad works well but the battery goes down quicker than it used to. My iPad fits my needs for the time being though.

My iPad carries most of the weight as far as use goes - no exaggeration to say I use it 10+ hours a day. I have to leave it plugged in all the time, or it will up and quit, even with battery @ 85%. I can have the battery replaced for $100, but it’s mail-in, and I honestly don’t know if a new battery would fix it. Unfortunately, the battery swap is more than I can swing until I get back to work, so replacing this beast - or swinging a more complicated repair - is out of reach at least for now. I’m fortunate that I can save my phone for calls, reminders, alarms, and photos.

Who knows what 5G will bring to the table, but existing WiFi won’t disappear when new phones arrive, so yay...my previous phone was a 4, and I had it for 6 trouble-free years. I replaced it because I use a lot of music apps, and they were bogging down with that then-ancient processor.

I was going to go with Batteries Plus for a new battery for my IPad, it’s 4 yrs old. It was around a little over a hundred dollars and they could not guarantee that they wouldn’t break my screen which they wouldn’t fix for free. Some deal right? I did have a friend get her IPhone a new battery and it worked out. It was only like $35.

I’ve always gone to Apple for repairs of any kind: prices have always been competitive (considering things like the trade-off you mentioned about the screen), and they have done more than I expected more than once. Never charged me a dime for any kind of phone support, either, no matter old the device, even replacing items out of warranty at no cost to me. I know people like to rag on them for...well, reasons, I guess, but...damn.

M
I’ve always gone to Apple for repairs of any kind: prices have always been competitive (considering things like the trade-off you mentioned about the screen), and they have done more than I expected more than once. Never charged me a dime for any kind of phone support, either, no matter old the device, even replacing items out of warranty at no cost to me. I know people like to rag on them for...well, reasons, I guess, but...damn.
Main problem i have with apple is that they limit battery life after an amount of time, to force you to upgrade.. pretty sure they admitted this too.. jailbreaking the products gets round this..
But its just a dick move from a company so i always go samsung...
Also pretty sure apple buy screens from samsung anyway so the screen isnt any better.. you really are just paying for a name imo...

Like I said, “reasons”....

My iPhone as I said, is a 6s - which means it’s at least five generations old. My battery is *not* limited, nor is it dead. The phone is designed to be plugged in often, but not for long: might be an annoyance for some, but people are different - I like to use machines the way they’re designed to be used (unlike my mother, who was convinced that her indifference to maintenance meant her car didn’t like her). Design choices matter, it’s why there are multiple products.

Personally, I had a Samsung Galaxy x years ago...and I hated it. I hated pretty much everything about it - including Android, and I replaced it with my current phone the very first moment I could. The thing I liked least about it was that it would transfer anything said in its presence to Google, but that certainly wasn’t the only thing that bothered me about it. Design choices: they did not make Android for *me*, and that’s okay, lots of people love their non-Apple phones, and I’m fine with that. I’m also fine with the phone I have. Entirely trouble-free? Of course not, it’s a machine - they all have their own issues.

The ONLY reason I have as many Apple products as I do is because they - and Apple - have *never* let me down. I’m not “a fan”, just a satisfied customer.

I know a lot of people who buy a phone every couple years. My iPhone 6s works really well and matches up with my IPad perfectly. It’s just over 4 or 5 years the battery slows down. I think Apple got in trouble for slowing down their phones. They can’t do that anymore. I buy something and have it a long time. I go for quality, not that there aren’t other quality tablets and phones out there. I just happen to be in the cult I guess. I’ve decided not to buy a 5G phone. I will wait a few years. I have a chrome book from work but just for work related stuff. I wouldn’t come on here using my work chrome book.:thumbsup::peace:

Speaking about speeds and processors,

Here is another great reason not to give Apple your money,

What a bunch of turds!
At least the EU are forcing them to change to USB-c charging.

Last edited:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back