Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Shredderville

Shredder

Dogs like me
IMG_20190715_222822638.jpg
IMG_20190719_205206101.jpg

As a lot of you know I grow organically. One of my ingredients is malted barley. I use it at 1/4 cup ground malted barley to about 4.5 gallons of water, and I use it 2-3 times a cycle.

Another way I use it is to eat up old roots in soil I remove from pots to get a new plant in. I leave most of the plants soil and just take out enough to get a new plant in. From 8 plants I get enough soil and roots to fill a 20 gallon tote. I make a strong mix of ground barley (1cup) and wet that in with water. In a couple months the roots are gone and the soil is nice a fluffy, and I put it in my soil container to use again.

Last time I added a half bushel of fan leaves that I layered in and doubled the ground barley. It came out like always and I put it in my soil container.

So a few weeks ago I transplanted and used some of this soil to fill in around the new plants. About 2 gallons per plant. A few waterings later I started getting mutated top leaves. Also in that soil I started clones, a tray of 11. 6 died and the rest looked iffy.

It took me a while to realize I'm working with atomic soil, lol. Now I have a crazy ass stretch, and had fan leaves that I removed like pie plates, with huge 1/4 inch leaf stems. Never seen anything like it. The pics above are at 2 weeks in flower and budding has just started.

The deal with barley is each seed has enough energy (starch) to supply a seedling for 3 weeks, but the real deal in the enzymes they have. When the sprouts get to the optomin length brewers stop the sprouting to lock in enzymes for brewing. Turns out mj likes beer. Go figure! I use 6 row malted barley, and grind it in an old blender. I buy it 50lb at a time and it will last me years.

Last edited:
Pretty impressive.

Thanks, I certainly try.

The bottoming trimming was from a week or so ago. The last two nights I've pulled fan leaves from above the screen. Enough to fill a 30 gallon trash can from the screen up something I rarely do.

I'm pretty sure this is from an enzyme over load. My normal stretch is about half of this. And I still don't know how it ends. I won't know that till mid sept. I ordered a roll of 1/8 nylon rope to make a support system, if I don't in a couple weeks those tall stems will get heavy and wanna flop down on the tall sativas. In front are two cherry pies, they are built stouter and the buds aren't huge, and should be ok. But ya, I'll try to keep y'all updated.

Thanks, I certainly try.

The bottoming trimming was from a week or so ago. The last two nights I've pulled fan leaves from above the screen. Enough to fill a 30 gallon trash can from the screen up something I rarely do.

I'm pretty sure this is from an enzyme over load. My normal stretch is about half of this. And I still don't know how it ends. I won't know that till mid sept. I ordered a roll of 1/8 nylon rope to make a support system, if I don't in a couple weeks those tall stems will get heavy and wanna flop down on the tall sativas. In front are two cherry pies, they are built stouter and the buds aren't huge, and should be ok. But ya, I'll try to keep y'all updated.
Thank you. I love hearing about growing. I just love plants. Was just off reading about malted barley.

@Shredder how long are you vegging to fill your canopy? Are you filling a specific sq/ft per plant?

I like to have about 80% of the screen filled before I flip the room. Normally this takes 2-3 weeks. (If I put in 20inch plants) This grow I tried to stretch it out because of summer weather. I don't have AC. I kept the lights at 600w and just fed water and when stems got where I wanted them I pinched tops to encourage secondary grow. It took 5 weeks and pushed harvest to mid to late sept. Late August to mid sept here is ussually hot and humid.

I should mention my worm bin. I top dressed each plant with worm castings. And even now with every fan running my co2 levels are over 1000ppm. The decaying matter in the bins gives off co2. Win win as they say

How is Cherry Pie to grow? It's on my short list for next season.

It grows fairly well, but compared to the rest of my garden it grows slow, and doesn't produce great either.

I have my cherry pie plants on 3 styrofoam 1.5" thick blocks, (4.5") and it's still shorter than the others. But it is a sturdy plant. A lot like bubba kush.

But it looks great. It turns purple and blue at the end. It tastes really nice. Not sure how I'd describe it, not like cherry pie to me, just a nice strong marijuana smell. The smell is intoxing, it draws you in. And the effects are relaxing, not quite couch lock but close. To me it's like what I remember vallium to be like.

Edit, it's a grand daddy purps crossed with Durban Poison, so I expect it's a good medicinal plant as well.

Last edited:
It grows fairly well, but compared to the rest of my garden it grows slow, and doesn't produce great either.

I have my cherry pie plants on 3 styrofoam 1.5" thick blocks, (4.5") and it's still shorter than the others. But it is a sturdy plant. A lot like bubba kush.

But it looks great. It turns purple and blue at the end. It tastes really nice. Not sure how I'd describe it, not like cherry pie to me, just a nice strong marijuana smell. The smell is intoxing, it draws you in. And the effects are relaxing, not quite couch lock but close. To me it's like what I remember vallium to be like.

Edit, it's a grand daddy purps crossed with Durban Poison, so I expect it's a good medicinal plant as well.
Thank you, @Shredder. That's good information.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back