Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Something completely different

psychonaut

Florist
Company Rep
Time for a change. Who likes change? I like change.

This grow round I am changing many things for the sake of simplicity, preventing lockouts, reducing mids and more uniform buds. Still using a 4x4' tent. I have a 5.5x5.5' that I'd rather use but I would need a 3rd light and frankly don't want to spend any more on hardware, so something completely different mixed with a little making do with what I have.

On @arb master level growing experience and recommendation I bought some sunshine mix #4 aggregate plus and Jacks professional general purpose 20-20-20 chelated water soluble fertilizer.

I will be utilizing a 4-way LST then into SCRoG. The LEDs I have seem to be ideal for an even canopy. They have proven to produce potent dense buds at 24" distance.

The cultivars will be 1x Bruce Banger by Seedsman, 1x Orange Hill Special by Dutch Passion, 1x The Church by Greenhouse Seeds, 1x Cheese by Seedsman. All are photoperiod feminised. The OHS finishes after 7-8 weeks in bloom. The rest are 8-8.5. Well see what the phenotypes decide.

The seeds were started in rapid rooters soaked with well water, no added cal-mag or PH adjustment. They will be moved to small pots with sunshine mix and fed plain well water until they grow up.

I'll be transplanting them to 4ga fabric pots for their final home.

Worried about the heat this summer. Hoping the LEDS don't let me down. If I have to, I can move the drivers outside of the tent.

I did notice that growdiaries.com has some Jacks fertilizer users and they are also quite happy with them.

Edit: Mom can you move this to the journal section please?

Time for a change. Who likes change? I like change.

This grow round I am changing many things for the sake of simplicity, preventing lockouts, reducing mids and more uniform buds. Still using a 4x4' tent. I have a 5.5x5.5' that I'd rather use but I would need a 3rd light and frankly don't want to spend any more on hardware, so something completely different mixed with a little making do with what I have.

On @arb master level growing experience and recommendation I bought some sunshine mix #4 aggregate plus and Jacks professional general purpose 20-20-20 chelated water soluble fertilizer.

I will be utilizing a 4-way LST then into SCRoG. The LEDs I have seem to be ideal for an even canopy. They have proven to produce potent dense buds at 24" distance.

The cultivars will be 1x Bruce Banger by Seedsman, 1x Orange Hill Special by Dutch Passion, 1x The Church by Greenhouse Seeds, 1x Cheese by Seedsman. All are photoperiod feminised. The OHS finishes after 7-8 weeks in bloom. The rest are 8-8.5. Well see what the phenotypes decide.

The seeds were started in rapid rooters soaked with well water, no added cal-mag or PH adjustment. They will be moved to small pots with sunshine mix and fed plain well water until they grow up.

I'll be transplanting them to 4ga fabric pots for their final home.

Worried about the heat this summer. Hoping the LEDS don't let me down. If I have to, I can move the drivers outside of the tent.

I did notice that growdiaries.com has some Jacks fertilizer users and they are also quite happy with them.

Edit: Mom can you move this to the journal section please?
ROSIN LEMON HAZE
ROSIN MAUI WOWIE
FACE can not be felt?
9.0 which is devastating? 83% THC/12% CBD (lab report)

3 of 4 have been germinated for days. The church was restarted as it looks to be a dud. Seeds started in rapid rooters in 70F temp controlled chamber. Moved rapid rooters to 4" pots filled with straight sunshine mix #4, then into the humidity dome. No heated mat, the 100W T5 fixture is about 10" above the top leaves, keeping the temperature in the upper 70's. Humidity stable 90%+

Orange Hill Special, Cheese (back) The Church, Bruce Banger (front)
20190618_072551.jpg

Last edited:
Cracked open the church rapid rooter, the seed was a dud =/ Good news though, the 2nd seed germinated in just 3 days so here we grow, all 4 ladies are going. Going to wait to start feeding them the jacks professional, should only be another week'ish.

20190621_111400[1].jpg

Last edited:
With the church needing to be restarted, I am running both tents right now. The 2x2' tent is still lighting the church under 100W T5 24hrs light. The 4x4' tent has one of the SP-250 LED's running above the babies. Started feeding the bruce banger with 1/2 tsp jacks per gallon water, the cheese and orange hill special have been fed with 1/4 tsp jacks per gallon of water, will bump them up in the next day or two to the stronger feeding. Thinking they are no longer providing their own nutrients at this point. This is day 10 or 11 since germination. SP-250 LED light bar is about 18" above the plants. Been misting them several times a day with just water. Oscillating fan blowing on the plants to help strengthen the stems and get them ready for the LST which is not too far away. This week or next and I'll be topping and staking down the limbs. Still trying to decide how I want to handle the trellis for the SCRoG. I have gone to 2 different home depots and having trouble finding all the PVC parts I need to build a standing frame.

20190626_145149[1].jpg

20190626_145227[1].jpg

The church girl getting started
20190626_150416[1].jpg

Last edited:
With the church needing to be restarted, I am running both tents right now. The 2x2' tent is still lighting the church under 100W T5 24hrs light. The 4x4' tent has one of the SP-250 LED's running above the babies. Started feeding the bruce banger with 1/2 tsp jacks per gallon water, the cheese and orange hill special have been fed with 1/4 tsp jacks per gallon of water, will bump them up in the next day or two to the stronger feeding. Thinking they are no longer providing their own nutrients at this point. This is day 10 or 11 since germination. SP-250 LED light bar is about 18" above the plants. Been misting them several times a day with just water. Oscillating fan blowing on the plants to help strengthen the stems and get them ready for the LST which is not too far away. This week or next and I'll be topping and staking down the limbs. Still trying to decide how I want to handle the trellis for the SCRoG. I have gone to 2 different home depots and having trouble finding all the PVC parts I need to build a standing frame.

View attachment 10283

View attachment 10284

The church girl getting started
View attachment 10285

I like the stability of fencing (2x4 holes) for my scrogs. The 2x4 frame is screwed into one wall and has 4x4 legs on the other. The fencing is wrapped around the frame and secured with wire ties. The netting is pretty wimpy in comparison.

I can dismantle it in 15minutes, although I havnt yet in over 5 years. I did replace the fencing once due to it getting so sticky with resins, lol. I tried to use a spot steam cleaner and simple green but it didn't work well. So it was easy to replace.

I like the stability of fencing (2x4 holes) for my scrogs. The 2x4 frame is screwed into one wall and has 4x4 legs on the other. The fencing is wrapped around the frame and secured with wire ties. The netting is pretty wimpy in comparison.

I can dismantle it in 15minutes, although I havnt yet in over 5 years. I did replace the fencing once due to it getting so sticky with resins, lol. I tried to use a spot steam cleaner and simple green but it didn't work well. So it was easy to replace.

I am wanting to build a frame with 2.5" holes like what's used here. I dont plan on having a long term trellis, so gonna probably use kite string or something maybe a little heavier then cut it away when done and restring it next time it's used.

real-scrog-training.jpg

I was avoiding using wood for the frame in case of mold issues, so wanted to go with PVC but perhaps I can just paint the wood with kilz. That'd make this a much more simple DIY job.

I was also looking at these just dont like the price nor the wide plastic that'll just block any hope of light getting lower than what's above it.

il_fullxfull.1809800591_5j0f.jpg

I went with 2x4 fencing since its the smallest I can get a hand through. Mine is 4.5 ft wide, so there's a lot of reaching. It's 42 inches high and my plants are on carts. I sit on a wheeled mechanic chair to trim stuff from underneath. After I get my cuts, I pretty much trim everything under the screen.

That sounds like a nice setup. That's the thing I dont like about tents, the constraints.

I've never done this before but I imagine if I keep it all low profile should have a lot of headroom but not much room underneath. Watering may be a challenge. I can swap the legs out on my base to raise it up some. I'll have the led about 12" off the canopy during late bloom so can move things up.

That sounds like a nice setup. That's the thing I dont like about tents, the constraints.

I've never done this before but I imagine if I keep it all low profile should have a lot of headroom but not much room underneath. Watering may be a challenge. I can swap the legs out on my base to raise it up some. I'll have the led about 12" off the canopy during late bloom so can move things up.

Ya, it would be hard to replicate my grow in a tent. I have a 4.5x9 grow area in a 10x12 room.

In my old house with a homemade grow box I watered remotely. I used a T to make a circle using 1 inch plastic tubing. I drilled holes in the tubing to let water out. I fed it through funnels mounted to the walls that drained into the tubing. Without that I needed to get on my hands and knees to water.

Been struggling a little but now seems to be on the rebound. Bruce banger, cheese and OHS all had been overfed since they came out of the humidity dome. I had some severe damage to the early growth lower fans. They were all topped between the 4th and 5th node. Since topping I have tried to get the nutrients under control and feel like I got it. The BB, Cheese and OHS all were transplanted to 3ga fabric pots and haven't missed a beat. The bottoms of the starter pots had a nice root mass. I am a little concerned that 3ga pots are not going to be large enough as doing 4-way LST is going to take longer to veg and the roots are going to be very big but I think I'll see how it goes, if I end up having to water more often so be it. I am contimplating putting clay pebbles on top of the medium. The last run there was a great root mass at the top of the medium where it met the clay pebbles. Seems like the plant gets a lot of oxygen from that spot. The church was topped yesterday and really messed up and took the fans below the node as well. I guess that'll slow things down a little which is not good considering it was a week behind the others but I'll get it figured out. There's a lot of time yet to train the branches under the screen.

In my estimation, for the first feeding after the seedling has grown some, 1/8 tsp/gal of jacks professional is good, then after a week feed 1/4 tsp/gal which is where I am now and seeing favorable growth. I'm not sure when 1/2 tsp/gal will be acceptable for these varieties but I expect next week. The sunshine mix seems to be a little more spongy than the coco, I'm liking that.

Here's the 4 girls 19" below 1x SP-250 LED
20190708_071527.jpg

Cheese
20190708_071535.jpg

The Church
20190708_071546.jpg

Orange Hill Special
20190708_071556.jpg

Bruce Banger
20190708_071603.jpg

The new growth on the plants looks so healthy. I will post pictures tomorrow morning. I waited until the Bruce banger started to wilt a little to water them. Still feeding 1/4 tsp per gallon. I reckon another week and then I'll try 1/2 tsp. This is going to be a very cheap grow, grateful @arb shared his knowledge.

Started the LST on the older 3 girls, have 10" garden stakes holding the 4 main branches down. Going to let them fill out a little then top all of them once more them it's under the screen. I hope I don't screw this up. No silica or any of that extra stuff people suggest.

Tent temps are a bit high 80F when lights on then it cools down slowly to about 73F. All of this training is nice haven't had to touch the light height at all.

The church is filling in good with nice broad green indica leaves.

Here's the 4 girls going, all have been topped, the Church is about a week behind the other 3. Will probably begin LST on her in a week or so. We'll see how she does after being FIM'd instead of topped.
20190716_065104[1].jpg

Cheese
20190716_065116.jpg

The Church
20190716_065121.jpg

Orange Hill Special
20190716_065127.jpg

Bruce Banger
20190716_065132.jpg

Garden staples being used for LST'ing
20190716_065326.jpg

Waiting for them to grow a little more than going to top every point of new growth and split the colas again, then it will be on to letting them grow some more, and then adding the screen and beginning 12/12 light flip.

No adjusting PH, it's amazing!

Last edited:
Here's the 4 girls going, all have been topped, the Church is about a week behind the other 3. Will probably begin LST on her in a week or so. We'll see how she does after being FIM'd instead of topped.
View attachment 10898

Cheese
View attachment 10899

The Church
View attachment 10900

Orange Hill Special
View attachment 10901

Bruce Banger
View attachment 10902

Garden staples being used for LST'ing
View attachment 10904

Waiting for them to grow a little more than going to top every point of new growth and split the colas again, then it will be on to letting them grow some more, and then adding the screen and beginning 12/12 light flip.

No adjusting PH, it's amazing!
We all need a strain that work’s for our need?
For example I like GSC for ATAXIA.
TAI STICk’s and other’s for Good Times!
The point is:

Whatever work’s for you?
However COLAS are always my go to regardless of strain!
DUTCH Crunch ROSIN if I could choose?
Then again just me!

We all need a strain that work’s for our need?
For example I like GSC for ATAXIA.
TAI STICk’s and other’s for Good Times!
The point is:

Whatever work’s for you?
However COLAS are always my go to regardless of strain!
DUTCH Crunch ROSIN if I could choose?
Then again just me!

Skunk varieties are my medicine, sativas help me during the daytime, hope bruce banger will deliver. No more big huge colas only a bunch of smaller tops, no mids!

@psychonaut , the girls look lovely today. It looks like you are doing everything right. Very nice, indeed. :weed::weed::weed::weed:

Thank you, they had a rough start as I overfed but they've rebounded, handled topping well and now the LST will keep them squat and full like a bush!

Skunk varieties are my medicine, sativas help me during the daytime, hope bruce banger will deliver. No more big huge colas only a bunch of smaller tops, no mids!

Thank you, they had a rough start as I overfed but they've rebounded, handled topping well and now the LST will keep them squat and full like a bush!
In the 70’s my surf friend’s from SOUTH AFRICA brought a trash bag full of DURBAN POISON?
Maybe Girl SCOUT COOKIES being a combination of strain’s that remind me of good-times of my youth?

Grow all you can while it is possible!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back