Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Something completely different

Right at about 2 weeks from flip, will see how much more they stretch. Still on 1/4 tsp a gallon. I have some Jacks Classic Houseplant Special 15-30-15, thinking about giving that a go during bloom once stretch is over, hmmm. @arb would say no! lol

OHS Left, Cheese Right
View attachment 11785

Bruce Banger left, The Church right
View attachment 11786

View attachment 11787

View attachment 11788

Cheese
View attachment 11789

Orange Hill Special
View attachment 11790

The Church
View attachment 11791

Bruce Banger
View attachment 11792
@arb would say "Do for self", and I hope he shows up to say it.
It looks good, @psychonaut
You have a good point about the netting. I could see it as a real problem in the ocean, or even for birds in a landfill. Maybe someone could make one from hemp. It could at least breakdown this century.
The ladies are coming along. You must be so pleased, so far. :weed:

@arb would say "Do for self", and I hope he shows up to say it.
It looks good, @psychonaut
You have a good point about the netting. I could see it as a real problem in the ocean, or even for birds in a landfill. Maybe someone could make one from hemp. It could at least breakdown this century.
The ladies are coming along. You must be so pleased, so far. :weed:

Thanks yes I am! Next grow I am using rope for the trellis.

About 3 weeks since flip. The stretch is pretty much over or close to it, so this was as good as I got for canopy coverage. I guess that extra week I had hoped for might not have even filled it up but will never know for sure. Lots of tops though so I expect it'll be good so long as I don't get budrot :nut: Still feeding 1/4 tsp a gallon, at about 3/4 a gallon of nutrient water per plant every 3 days or so. Little or no runoff. I am feeding them with a funnel in my siphon pump tube that I put down to the stalk of the plant and slowly water each one. Makes it much easier than trying to feed in such tight quarters.

20190814_194928.jpg

20190814_194750.jpg

20190814_194850.jpg

Cheese
20190814_194756.jpg

Orange Hill Special
20190814_194802.jpg

The Church
20190814_194822.jpg

Bruce Banger
20190814_194835.jpg

Cheese under canopy view
20190814_194902.jpg

Orange Hill Special under canopy view
20190814_194908.jpg

Last edited:
So far these nutrients are very good if you are not going the organic route. I am quite impressed with their ability to feed the plant. There are some things that I've noticed, and this may just be my beginners level education, but it seems like the EC's you see listed by a lot of the bottled nutrient companies are extremely high! I would be surprised that my plants could survive with an EC of 1,3 using jacks professional. My plants get nutrient burn with much over 0,8 EC using jacks. I am pretty sure there have been no lockouts at all just some nutrient burn in the beginning when I overfed them. When I try this next time, I will begin feeding them at 2 weeks with 1/8 tsp for the first week, then up to 1/4 tsp on week 4?

I haven't touched my PH down or PH meter since I started this grow, and damn what a beautiful thing. I still do want to get back to some organic soil in the future, just so much space and electricity to do this! Now @arb has me so intrigued with his medium and nutrients the minimalism, I kinda wanna just outright adopt it as all other methods have been a bust in one way shape or form. I realize that I say all of this while I am mid bloom and who knows what may happen but it does seem that the plants are not lacking in any particular nutrient or getting too much so I guess I'm in the safe zone.

I'll be raising the lights another inch or so, put them about 14" above the canopy, hoping to keep them right at around 12" above the closest tops. Not sure still how this scrog-pro trellis will do shading the undergrowth, I expect to see a negative impact there.

Also, my gut is telling me that this 4x4 trellis should have 5 plants, the middle just seems so empty and even another week of growth that I missed this round doesn't seem like it would have filled in that empty space. I also wonder if going in 5ga fabric pots would have been a better option to get a bigger plant to fill the screen.

I am really surprised at how The Church is growing, really long spacing between nodes during stretch. This is an indica variety but the stretch felt a lot more like a sativa. That plant was the furthest behind having been restarted a week later, then FIM'd and took some fan leaves, it did fill in nicely but you can see it hadn't had all those new growth's plucked so it was esentially topped 1 whole round less than the other 3. I think I did the worst topping the bruce banger, missed some spots. Frankly this is my first attempt at this so I expected to have some fouls.

Cheese and Orange Hill Special are growing very similarly, which makes sense since they are both closely related. So far all of these varieties seem to be as the breeders stated, great for SCRoG and takes well to topping and training. These girls never missed a beat, always saw new growth within a day of topping, and no branches were broken when LST'ing and moving around during SCRoG duties. No silica as well.

And here I am struggling to find seeds :ko:

Good luck on your bush @psychonaut

Thank you! Best place I can recommend, lots of freebies and good selection, only problem is transit time. 2-3 weeks ETA is about right.

Their seedsman brand selection is worth a look for money saving and extra freebies too.

Starting to see some yellowing on some of the lower fan leaves, because the canopy is horizontal instead of vertical these may just be some of the original leaves but I am watching it closely, might have to bump up the nutrients to 3/8 tsp from 1/4 and see what that does. Seems like yellowing leaves except those without any light at 3 wks into flower is a bit premature.

Starting to see some yellowing on some of the lower fan leaves, because the canopy is horizontal instead of vertical these may just be some of the original leaves but I am watching it closely, might have to bump up the nutrients to 3/8 tsp from 1/4 and see what that does. Seems like yellowing leaves except those without any light at 3 wks into flower is a bit premature.

Probably no biggy. More important are the tops at 3 weeks in. At 3-5 weeks the buds are building, and it takes fuel. A boost might help.

I never feed after 6 weeks, and then I prefer yellowing leaves near harvest. The buds are about as big as they're going to be, but they will swell and get dense. They start to ripen then as well.

A little stress reinforces to the plant the end is near, and they need to put all their energy into buds.

Fertilizer is just delaying things late in flower. Plus adding off tastes later.

Keep in mind, I grow organically, so what I do may not apply.

@Shredder Yes, we have pretty different mediums so I have to feed mine up until the point where I feel like the plant has enough nutrients stored in the plant to make it through till harvest time, usually they start fading 2-3 days after switching from nutrients to plain water.

I began feeding 3/8 tsp of Jacks professional 20-20-20 yesterday, the cheese and OHS both seem to be heavier feeders, the bruce banger needed the least amount of water but I fed each of them a whole gallon to saturate the medium and hopefully replace any lower nutrients with the higher dose.

I will keep them on 3/8 tsp/gal unless I see a negative reaction, the leaves had faded a bit more yellow so I am just hoping to save the leaves that haven't faded too much.

The tent has a very good smell going on, can't even describe it but it's more floral than the last run, and a bit more pungent. Stretch definitely seems over at this point, the tops are stretching at a snails pace now. Lights are 12" above the tallest tops so they're being blasted with as much lumens as I can without reducing the footprint of the lights.

The smell keeps getting more intense. Here there about to start week 5. I am starting to get concerned with the lower buds getting pressed up against the trellis. I will start cutting out some portions where I see there are problems. I have some rubber coated wire that I am using to try and pull limbs into good spots for light. I can already see a lot of things that need to be done differently next grow 'round. Nutrients at 3/8 tsp/gal of the 20-20-20. I havent seen a need to go with the houseplant special for extra phosphorus so far. The bruce banger has the most impressive buds so far of the bunch.

20190822_182529.jpg

Cheese
20190822_182604.jpg

Orange Hill Special
20190822_182551.jpg

The Church
20190822_182618.jpg

Bruce Banger
20190822_182701.jpg

Some of the yellowing I was seeing when feeding 1/4 tsp of the 20-20-20
20190822_183418.jpg
20190822_183423.jpg
20190822_183427.jpg

Here the ladies are starting on week 6, very much liking what I am seeing out of the bruce banger. The orange hill special always impresses, I've been growing that variety for many years, it's a good one. The church seems to like a heavier feeding, perhaps I'll give her 1/2 tsp/gallon for her feeding. The other 3 don't seem to be showing any more fading. I have no fans blowing on the plants, just the exhaust up top recycling the air at the moment, all seems to be good in that department.

The smell is starting to get intense, I can smell the bruce banger over the others on the front side of the tent, perhaps the cheese will catch up and stink them all out?

20190829_181647.jpg

Cheese
20190829_181656.jpg

Orange Hill Special
20190829_181706.jpg

The Church
20190829_181722.jpg

Bruce Banger
20190829_181739.jpg

OHS under canopy lower buds
20190829_181756.jpg

Orange Hill Special cola
20190829_181824.jpg

Cheese cola
20190829_181834.jpg

The Church cola
20190829_181843.jpg

Bruce Banger cola
20190829_181852.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Me too @momofthegoons I got my money on the orange hill special but I am hoping the bruce banger pulls ahead, I always thought the OHS had a bit high leaf calyx ratio but the meds are one of my top choice. Very orange flavor and racing effects that last a while. So far the bruce banger looks easier to trim =)

@Madri-Gal I think so too, been about 4 years since I had it, but remember it well. Thank you, here's to no more surprises, 2-3 weeks left!

6 1/2 weeks, nutrients are on point. Been cutting away at the trellis, I will give them credit on this now that I've done it, when you start cutting at the trellis, it remains stable, so in areas where no trellis is necessary, you can cut out that section and allow the light more intensity to the growth below. I probably should have started on that a week earlier but all seems good, the buds are swelling up nicely. This is a good week to see a lot of progress. The cheese is starting to get a rough smell, the bruce banger is really berry and gassy as I expected, the church just seems really skunky. OHS has a faint orange smell with the usually skunkiness, I expect it'll ramp up here shortly.

Orange Hill Special ~8.5wk variety
20190902_181331.jpg

Cheese ~9-10wk variety
20190902_181344.jpg

The Church ~8wk variety
20190902_181354.jpg

Bruce Banger ~9-10wk variety
20190902_181406.jpg

Thanks very much @Moses Baca and @Madri-Gal !

Here are the ladies starting on week 7, week 6 was much more exciting in development all around but starting to see the pistils change to orange. I accidently fed the church with 3/8 tsp instead of 1/2 tsp, I dont think it mattered much but that was a boo-boo. The bruce banger seems to be right on the edge with 3/8 tsp, I see some yellowing on the tips of some of the leaves up near the buds, so I may back that down on that variety.

20190905_224810.jpg

Cheese
20190905_224817.jpg

Orange Hill Special
20190905_224824.jpg

The Church
20190905_224833.jpg

Bruce Banger
20190905_224846.jpg

Orange Hill Special
20190905_224855.jpg

Cheese