Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Something old - something new

psychonaut

Florist
Company Rep
Not only was the last effort a success, but it was an eye opener for me. I live in the middle of the mountains far away from town, we have well water and it's relatively hard though I expect it's mostly calcium and magnesium. Both are beneficial for the plant and in my levels, are not deficient. I was told to use RO water, not bad advice, it probably would work. It's also very wasteful here where water is precious. So it was my goal to find a nutrient solution combo to give the plants everything they need. Foxfarms, advanced nutrients, general hydroponics, tried the 2 part systems, 3 part, 3 part plus the other 5 or 6 other bottles you use during bloom, PH up, PH down (my well water is 7.1 PH, they say this is a bit high for cannabis). That was a rabbit hole that guaranteed me in some shape or form a lockout of deficiency in every one of my grows indoors up until June.

That's when I took a leap of faith and figured I had nothing to lose, might as well try something completely different. Changed the medium to Sunshine Mix #4 Aggregate Plus, and changed the nutrients to Jacks Professional 20-20-20 (jacks classic is a very close formulation and can be used if you dont wanna buy the big bag of jacks pro), the only problems I seemed to have was feeding my plants too much! That's an easy fix, and I learned the limits before going into flowering. I still red lined the girls a couple of times through the cycle but never got to the point where the plant suffered more than just the tips of the leaves being burnt. Anyway, I didnt add anything to the medium, no extra perlite, it doesn't need it. The roots spread through the peat just fine and there seems to be plenty of perlite already in the mix. The medium holds onto water for a long time compared to coco coir. So I'm basically using my 7.1 PH well water at 230ppm off the tap, add in the measured blue crystals and that's all there is to feeding the plant. I pretty much start low, watch the plant react to the feedings and increase until I can get to 1/2 tsp (many thanks to @arb for all of this info as it's mostly his) I dont change to bloom nutes, dont use molasses or terpinator or bud candy just jacks 20-20-20. The plant seems to give us what she has when she has the basic nutrients?

Point being, this is the cheap method and I'll be damned if it wouldn't work for most anyone frankly. I can see some really poor quality water may have some problems but for most home well water you should be fine.

Plan this go around is to grow out some new and old varieties, see how they do in ScrOG. See what I think about the old genetics grown properly, and some of these new ones I've yet to try. Have some regular and feminized seeds going. I want to experiment a bit with some strategic defoliation as well.

Seedsman Original Skunk #1 Regular
Greenhouse Seeds The Church Feminized
Strawnana Magik Regular old caregiver bagseed (Strawberry Banana x Magik)
Rare Dankness Ghost Train Haze #1 Regular
Dutch Passion Desfrán Feminized

Stay green :weed:

Soaking them in water, room temp is low 60s, they didnt sink for like 2 days then I tapped then and they all sank.
20191006_111303.jpg
q
20191006_111323.jpg

Into starter pots buried 1/4" under the medium, moistened with just water and into the humidity dome.
20191008_163715.jpg

100W T5 4-bulb fixture above them in a 2x2x4' tent keeping the dome warm and humid. Skunk #1 is first to sprout yesterday.

Here they are getting bigger, Skunk #1 was first to sprout, followed quickly by the others. Ghost train hae #1 both were a little behind in escaping the seed case. Temps have been in the upper 70's to 80's inside of the dome, humidity has been around 85%, have one of the vents on the dome open to get some fresh air in there and regulate teh humidity some. Pots are moist but not wet. No nutrients yet, will likely start them on 1/16 tsp of jacks pro in the next 4-5 days.
20191017_103430.jpg
20191017_103617.jpg

R: Skunk #1, The Church, Strawnana magik, Ghost train haze #1
F: Skunk #1, Desfran, Ghost train haze #1
20191021_081240.jpg
20191021_081250.jpg

Still illegal to grow in Florida, but, we can all have hope, right? I really like the idea of just using the Jacks Professional, it seems too simple ( love that! ). Sunshine mix #4 is the medium. This is all so new to me. Years ago, I knew someone who grew small amounts, to sell to friends, personal use, etc. But, back then it hardly seemed worth the effort. I mean you could get some great weed, pretty cheap ( I wasn't in Fl. ) at the time. I figure once the price stabilizes, ( it will, right? ) that prices will come down. For now, I make myself happy dreaming of the day.

When you can @Whisper please try this method out, you will invest in little money for fertilizer and medium, then just use your water in your home. No need to PH down the water, or add anything extra. I'll try and document my feeding regime this time, but please consider my last effort I was just learning and this effort may be the same, I expect I -might- burn the plants but I hope to only burn them just a little and then back off and let them thrive :weed:

Medium is very cheap if you can get it locally, some hydro shops carry it, some Ace/Tru-Value has it. For me I had to order it, no biggie, even after shipping it's still pretty affordable. I don't add anything to sunshine mix #4, it works great as is.

I would guess one could make their own using peat moss, perlite, and some other amendments but not sure if it's worth the time and effort when the bale is already to go!

I'm not so sure the caregivers and dispensaries will cut their prices too much lower, it can be grown for around $10/oz with 500watts of lights in 4x4' space, if you use this medium and fertilizer indoors. That would include seeds, medium, fertilizer and power. The lowest I've seen at a caregiver around here is $84/oz and we've had legal medical for 19 years. These folks don't use lights either so it's free lighting using greenhouses, nice markups for sure!

No markups or profits here, just savings and hopefully something to be proud of when it's all done!

Here are the girls just finishing up week 2 since sprout. Some are a day or two behind the others but soon enough will catch up in foliage. Moved the baby girls out of the humidity dome and into the big tent with the mars hydro sp-250 hanging about 18" above the tops. Room is being kept at 60F, tent is a little warmer as I dont have any fans in there yet just the vents open to keep fresh air flowing. Might have to mist these girls for the next few days. Desfran is looking a little weak, not sure if it was too much humidity in the dome or not, was around 87% when I moved them out. Started feeding them 1/16 tsp per gallon of jacks professional 20-20-20. The cotyledon's have started to turn a little yellow so it's for sure time to at least begin feeding.

20191025_082840.jpg
20191025_082846.jpg

Ghost train haze #1 reg's
20191025_082854.jpg

Skunk #1 reg and Desfran fem
20191025_082859.jpg

The church fem and Strawnana magik reg
20191025_082907.jpg

Skunk #1 reg
20191025_082913.jpg

Yes I hope it's a female too, very good genetics the flower I got the seed from said it was over 24% tested.

Since the plants dont need much time right now, installed small eye hooks into my scrog pro pipe frame. PITA job lol, no wonder I waited so long. Spacing is 2.5" apart, will be using some of this twine to string it up when the time comes.

20191025_144646.jpg
20191025_144655.jpg
20191025_144803.jpg

The plants are very sad right now and making a come back from stunting. I'll explain what I think happened. Pictures to follow tomorrow to give a visual.

The medium was soaked with plain water no nutrients from their time in the humidity dome. By the time to start actually giving nutes, when I fed them for the first time it pushed basically more water w/o nutrients down to the bottom where all the roots were. Plants basically started to eat them self from lack of nutrients combined with lack of oxygen from overwatering.

How I plan to fix this next time is add in some perlite to the medium while in starter pots AND use much smaller starter pots as these were big enough for a 3wk old plant and not a seedling.

I transplanted them to 3ga fabric pots a few days ago to try and pull the moisture out and it's working. Been feeding them 1/8 tsp jacks per gallon in a ring about 2" away from the stalk. Gonna get them rebounded then top them all.

Surprisingly this one ghost train haze had been trucking right along the whole time as the other 6 struggled. Probably lost a week or so of growth from the stunting. Good thing i'll be topping and training which makes for a longer veg anyway.

The plants are very sad right now and making a come back from stunting. I'll explain what I think happened. Pictures to follow tomorrow to give a visual.

The medium was soaked with plain water no nutrients from their time in the humidity dome. By the time to start actually giving nutes, when I fed them for the first time it pushed basically more water w/o nutrients down to the bottom where all the roots were. Plants basically started to eat them self from lack of nutrients combined with lack of oxygen from overwatering.

How I plan to fix this next time is add in some perlite to the medium while in starter pots AND use much smaller starter pots as these were big enough for a 3wk old plant and not a seedling.

I transplanted them to 3ga fabric pots a few days ago to try and pull the moisture out and it's working. Been feeding them 1/8 tsp jacks per gallon in a ring about 2" away from the stalk. Gonna get them rebounded then top them all.

Surprisingly this one ghost train haze had been trucking right along the whole time as the other 6 struggled. Probably lost a week or so of growth from the stunting. Good thing i'll be topping and training which makes for a longer veg anyway.

If this or something similar happens you could look into foliar feeding. It's a way to feed a plant until the roots heal and regrow.

It's fairly common for roots to be damaged from transplanting, but it works for root problems caused by about anything.

I soak a handful of alfalfa meal in water a couple days, strain, maybe add a little liquid silica, and humic acid in tiny amounts. And use this as a spray.

But there are commercial sprays that work the same way. The point is it can help feed a plant that's hurting limp along, without hardly missing a beat, until it's roots heal.

Thanks for the tip @Shredder , I believe the Jacks works for foliar feeding as well. I should have done that already but I'll mist them ASAP. I always struggle with the babies :doh: Right now the leaves are just starting to perk up after droop city and get a little green.

Yesterday morning's view of the sad babies.

20191109_073949.jpg
20191109_073957.jpg
20191109_074002.jpg

When I checked them this morning they were starting to look a little better though still making their come back. Going to keep nutrients at 1/8 tsp/gal for drenching, and 1/32 tsp/gal for foliar. Lamp distance is about 18" above the tops. These girls are going to get topped once they've greened up enough. I didn't kill them!

Does sunshine mix (I think that's what your using) have enough lime in it?

Your pictures make me curious.

I know pro mix does but it's not enough. The pH starts about 5. Sometimes I use straight pro mix and worm castings for clones, but if I forget to add a little lime, or in my case powdered oyster shell, I can get that yellowing. But a little calcium (lime, oystershell) watered in and they recover pretty fast.

Does sunshine mix (I think that's what your using) have enough lime in it?

Your pictures make me curious.

I know pro mix does but it's not enough. The pH starts about 5. Sometimes I use straight pro mix and worm castings for clones, but if I forget to add a little lime, or in my case powdered oyster shell, I can get that yellowing. But a little calcium (lime, oystershell) watered in and they recover pretty fast.

I'm not sure if there is enough but my well water is fairly hard so I think there should have been enough? I'm considering drenching the media with a really light dose of Jacks at like 1/32tsp gallon instead of tap water for my next attempts seedlings. That way at least there is some nitrogen in the medium when they need it, then gradually increase as the plant can handle it.

Starting on week 4, really rough start to these babies, I topped all but 2 of them yesterday between 4th and 5th nodes. All is looking well with the new growth, I think I have overfed them a bit but not horribly at this stage. I am feeding 3/16 tsp of jacks 20-20-20 per gallon of water. It looks like it'll take until next effort to get these nutrients dialed in. All 7 are still under 1x SP-250 light. I will be turning on the 2nd lamp soon and spread them out.

20191115_081900[1].jpg

Starting on week 4, really rough start to these babies, I topped all but 2 of them yesterday between 4th and 5th nodes. All is looking well with the new growth, I think I have overfed them a bit but not horribly at this stage. I am feeding 3/16 tsp of jacks 20-20-20 per gallon of water. It looks like it'll take until next effort to get these nutrients dialed in. All 7 are still under 1x SP-250 light. I will be turning on the 2nd lamp soon and spread them out.

View attachment 14651
Poor babies..... but they're starting to look a lot more perky.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back