Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Talking varieties

I have taken multiple lines out past the fifth generation and a couple past nine.
SSH is a hybrid at the f1 gen and unless you have some really old stock you have a hack of a hack of a hack.........you might see similarities but not identical or even consistent buds.
How do you breed cuts together..............not many males being kept in cut format.
I keep some males and a couple other guys I know do also........do you?

I have taken multiple lines out past the fifth generation and a couple past nine.
SSH is a hybrid at the f1 gen and unless you have some really old stock you have a hack of a hack of a hack.........you might see similarities but not identical or even consistent buds.
How do you breed cuts together..............not many males being kept in cut format.
I keep some males and a couple other guys I know do also........do you?

I'd have to research it but I doubt mr nice sells f1's. Most good breeders don't. It takes time and money to do it right.

Good catch on the cuts. Although you can take cuts from males and females for breeding, thats not what i meant. I meant breeding sister to brother for generations to get consistently uniform plants.

I don't breed mj. I don't really have the time or space or really any desire for breeding plants. Being a caregiver takes enough time for me. Most of my plants are from seeds I grew out or from friends. There is a loose group of growers that I'm a part of that trade. I have taken cuts from a plant line for many years though. Until I recently screwed up labeling plants and lost my super silver haze I grew it for 8 years, cut after cut for 8 years. My new ssh plants from seeds are to replace that line. I expect the buds to be identical. I'll know for sure at harvest time.

One little trick I use to get fully mature buds from the lower parts of a plant is to harvest the top first to let the light mature lower buds.
How do you tackle flushing with part harvesting then flowering again for the lower buds?

How do you tackle flushing with part harvesting then flowering again for the lower buds?

I don't flush. In organic growing it's not really needed. I do feed just water at the plants end of life. Actually right now at 2.5 weeks in flower I just feed water. This last batch of worm castings seem pretty rich so I backed off adding any extras to my plants. I fed the worms some rotten pumpkins and squash and apparently my plants approved of the worm poop. I also have a lot of small pumpkins trying to grow in my pots though, lol.

Even when I do feed it's not a lot. My theory is to put a lot of choices in the soil mix and let the plants decide what they want. The plants signal to the microbes what they want through root exudes. The microbes in healthy organic soil respond to the plants needs. I'm not talking days either, it happens quick.

Using chemical nutrients the plants basically take in whatever you feed them. In organic growing most of the nutrients have to be made available for the plants by microbes. So being insoluble the organic nutrients wouldn't flush out anyway like soluble (chemical) grows.

My seeds are now tiny plants, and we picked up some Forbidden Fruit and Strawberry Banana clones the other day. I want some Blue Dream, but intend to stop after that. I'm running out of room. So far, everything is ahead of last year, so this should be the start of a good year. Fingers crossed.

My plants mostly have numbers instead of names.
I do name the line but individual plants get a phenotype selected and selected sequential number so something like "Crosseyed Nancy 5-1,f-4"the f-number is how many generations I have linebred that particular line.
Gets confusing after a while so I keep a record of what gets crossed to what........not sure why but I do.

Depends on your genetic starting point,plant numbers,selection process and how ruthless you are.
Start with similar plants and your that much closer.......similar can be many things.
Structure,vigor,smells,tastes,effects,speed of flower resistance to insects,disease,drought.......all kinds of stuff.
I am currently selecting on petiole length if all other factors are equal.
My experience is if you start well it gets better with each generation.
I only use male and female plants no selfed or femmed for this guy.......lolz.
Do it..........you will not regret it.

My plants mostly have numbers instead of names.
I do name the line but individual plants get a phenotype selected and selected sequential number so something like "Crosseyed Nancy 5-1,f-4"the f-number is how many generations I have linebred that particular line.
Gets confusing after a while so I keep a record of what gets crossed to what........not sure why but I do.
Difference is, you are a real grower. I'm just lucky to live where it's hard not to grow mj, effort or no.

Apples and oranges.........you are every bit as much of a "real"grower as I am........if you doubt that just go look at your plants.........they are real as real gets young lady!
My grinder is full, @arb, my grinder is full. I'm just very new to these plants, but I know my yard. I've been soil building for 10 years, and I'm counting on that, The Cannabis Encyclopedia, and my VA friends to get me to a happy harvest.
Madri-Guy found my seeds in the condiment section of the refrigerator, so I didn't need to buy seeds this year. We have Black Cherry, Sweet Tooth, Purple Bud, Tutankamon, Northern Lights, Chem Dawg, Red Dragon and the Forbidden Fruit and Strawberry Banana. And a few autoflower that I was given. Something should make it til Fall.

I love sweet tooth I hope you got some of steves actual genetics.
He sent me a bunch in a trade in 03 or so and they were by far,hands down the most consistent plants from seed I have grown........ever.
Consistent in flower is really rare and out of like 20 or so females they were nearly identical and all very good.
Broke my heart when he quit the biz but I fully understood why and now I hear he may get back at it........

All the names sound so exciting!!!
They do, don’t they?

If anyone here is a “fake grower” it would be me: I grew ONE plant at the end of the 70s...it got to ~14”, flowered, didn’t even get a joint out of it. No buzz, not even a headache.... I may have been studying and planning since then, but the saga of my inability to find even a risky place to grow is a long one, and either funny or pathetic depending on your mood. I make no pretense about that.

When I say I’ve been studying and planning, I mean it, though, and yes, for 40 years...I decided it was time to make it a priority roughly six months ago, and I’ve been “in class” ever since, 8-12 hours a day for 4 days a week solid: books, fora, videos...I *AM* going to grow, and I’m going to do it smart, and I AM going to do it well. I need the medicine, and I’ve lost a lot (almost all) of my friends for lack of it, and I’m not going to lose anymore, and I’m NOT going to run out again (4 months and counting).

I may not be fast, I may(!j not have been lucky...but...I. do. not. give. up. ever.

Nice selection @Madri-Gal looking forward to your flowers =)

I had a strawberry banana cross last run that grew really big! I had to super crop it to control the stretch.
We put a few feet of lattice all around the top of the back fence, but we did have to deal with height issues last year. Our biggest three were taller than I am. I'm short, but I wouldn't want them any taller. Not that that would happen again.

CSC-0457.jpg

I like this kind of variety myself.......

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back