Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Law The Cannabis Chronicles - Misc Cannabis News

But 70 percent said it is not acceptable for pregnant women to use marijuana to reduce nausea or pain. And the survey respondents were about evenly divided on whether marijuana should be recommended for children if it were legal.
This just shows that further education is needed imo. With the abundance of testimonials that I read about the benefits that have been shown in children with seizure disorders and other neurological disorders benefiting from cannabis, as well as those being treated for cancer, I can't see how these numbers can be true unless people just aren't getting the information.

Same thing can be said for pregnancy. I am not advocating it's use during pregnancy or saying it is safe. However, I used cannabis during both of my pregnancies and, in my opinion, my children have no physical or mental issues relating to it. It did make it so that I could ingest food the first 4 months of my pregnancy. And towards the end, helped me with the discomfort. Just my experience. :twocents:

What I find interesting and what goes with the quoted text below, is that I was prescribed narcotics shortly after having my children; which I am sure could pass into the breast milk.

Every day, an overdose of prescription opioids or heroin kills 91 people, and legions more are brought back from the brink of death. Some 2 million Americans are thought to be hooked on the pills.
Not to mention the synthetic 'heroin' that can be obtained legally online and is sought out as a cheaper alternative to street heroin. I know of three people that have overdosed on it; one died. And all three of those people started with prescription narcs.

DHS chief reverses marijuana comments
Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly reversed recent comments on marijuana Tuesday in his first major public speech since being sworn in.

Kelly vowed that Department of Homeland Security staff would continue to investigate and arrest those involved in illegal trade of the drug and called marijuana “a potentially dangerous gateway drug that frequently leads to the use of harder drugs.”

"... Its use and possession is against federal law and until the law is changed by the U.S. Congress we in DHS are sworn to uphold all the laws on the books," he added.

"DHS personnel will continue to investigate marijuana’s illegal pathways along the network into the U.S., its distribution within the homeland, and will arrest those involved in the drug trade according to federal law. [Customs and Border Protection] will continue to search for marijuana at sea, air and land ports of entry and when found take similar appropriate action.

"When marijuana is found at aviation checkpoints and baggage screening [Transportation Security Administration] personnel will also take appropriate action. Finally, [Immigration and Customs Enforcement] will continue to use marijuana possession, distribution and convictions as essential elements as they build their deportation / removal apprehension packages for targeted operations against illegal aliens. They have done this in the past, are doing it today, and will do it in the future."

The apparent reversal comes two days after he told “Meet the Press” that marijuana is not “a factor in the drug war.”

“Yeah, marijuana is not a factor in the drug war,” Kelly told host Chuck Todd on NBC’s Sunday show, citing meth, heroin and cocaine as the three main drugs that have played a role in the U.S. drug crisis that killed more than 52,000 people in 2015.
Attorney General Jeff Sessions is an outspoken opponent of marijuana use and has criticized the 28 states and Washington, D.C., that do not enforce federal laws banning it.

The Trump administration has offered mixed messages, and no clear guidance, on its plans for marijuana regulation.

So, who doesn't see Session's finger prints all over this shit, eh?

Feds Face Bipartisan Opposition Over Relaunching Drug War

As Attorney General Jeff Sessions and other drug warriors rattle their sabers, glimmers of bipartisan agreement in Congress are starting to show as lawmakers from both sides of the aisle express support for criminal justice reform. They also concur that it’s not a good idea to mess with legal marijuana.

For example, two-term South Florida Republican Carlos Curbelo recently co-sponsored a bill that could have a dramatic effect on the booming weed industry.

Curbelo’s bill, the Small Business Tax Equity Act, would allow cannabis-based companies to take normal business-related tax deductions and credits, like any other business. Industry experts say this would cut the current tax rates for marijuana dispensaries in half and therefore allow them to make larger legal profits.

The bill has bipartisan support from co-sponsors Republican Senator Rand Paul from Kentucky and Oregon Democrat, Earl Blumenauer.

“One of my goals in Congress is to ensure the law treats all enterprises with fairness and equity,” Curbelo said in a press release.

Curbelo’s bill also has the support of influential Republican tax reformer Grover Norquist, founder and president of Americans for Tax Reform, an organization that opposes all tax increases.

Norquist also happens to be a longtime supporter of pot legalization and is on the record as opposing “arbitrary and punitive” treatment of legal marijuana sellers in the tax code.

It is also worth noting that that in Curbelo’s home state of Florida, 71 percent of voters approved a medical marijuana measure last November.

“For those of us who are small ‘c’ conservatives who believe in the 10th Amendment [states’ rights], we should defer to the people of Florida and other states… we shouldn’t get in the way,” Curbelo said in an interview with Yahoo News.

Bipartisan efforts being undertaken by Republicans like Curbelo and Norquist are one reason why Jeff Sessions’ plan to resume the failed War on Drugs could run into some serious resistance in Congress.

As the White House continues to shock with its bizarre cabinet choices to fill such positions as drug czar with a person who is known to be in bed with the opioid-producing pharmaceutical companies and an attorney general from another century, some reasonable thinkers in Congress are running to catch up with a train that left the station a while ago: pot legalization.

As Sessions was about to sign his new memo earlier this month outlining the responsibilities of a new Task Force on Crime Reduction and Public Safety, four state governors (from Alaska, Colorado, Oregon and Washington) launched a preemptive strike with their own letter to Sessions urging him to keep weed legal and to uphold states’ rights.

Sessions also faces increasing acceptance of cannabis from Republican states like West Virginia, where its Republican legislature just approved a medical marijuana bill.

“It’s absolutely powerful now. This is a political movement,” said Norquist, who is lobbying to get Curbelo’s proposal into Trump’s “historic” tax reform bill that the White House is hoping Congress will pass by this summer.

“What we’ve seen is a lot of pushback from both sides of the aisle,” said Taylor West, communications director for the National Cannabis Industry Association, per Yahoo News.

“A couple of times now, there have been statements coming out of the administration, from Sessions or Sean Spicer, that seemed ominous for legal marijuana programs,” West added. “But when follow-up is done and questions are asked, there is not a clear statement of policy changes. The clearest thing to come out of these episodes is the opposition to the idea that they might change the policy.”

You think its them looooong, cooooold winters! :naughty2::lol::wink:
Something in the water here. Or the snow. :lol:

Seriously though, after years of having among the most lenient decrim statutes, ME now has about the most lenient rec law, considering amount you can possess out of the house (2.5 z), the penalties for exceeding that (a ticket until you hit several z's), and the lack of that odious OUI law that makes WA and CO such dangerous places to use weed if you drive.

Add in our awful governor and it's a push. :rofl:

This is from last year but a good article. There's even more legal states now.

Just four years ago, recreational marijuana (the kind you can smoke without a doctor's note) wasn't legal anywhere in the U.S. Now, voters have reversed the rules in four states and D.C.

Sales of legal pot grew to $1.2 billion in 2015, more than tripling sales from the year before, according to an industry report from Arcview. And that doesn't include the $4.5 billion brought in from medical marijuana sales.

Related: 4/20 - It's high times for celebrities

But rules are still hazy about where you can buy pot and who can smoke. It gets more complicated for those who want to sell it.

Here's what you need to know.

1. Anyone over 21 can buy marijuana in Colorado, Washington and Oregon.

It's been legal to buy pot in Colorado and Washington since 2014, and in Oregon since last October.

2. You can smoke it legally in Alaska and Washington D.C., as long as you're older than 21.

But it won't be legal to buy it in those states until lawmakers hammer out the details. Alaska is currently accepting license applications from future legal marijuana growers.

3. Medical marijuana is legal in 24 states, and D.C.

Click the map to see where pot is legal.

4. You can still be fired for smoking marijuana.

Even if you show up for work stone cold sober, you can be fired for flunking a drug test in most states.

5. The government owns and operates one pot store.

The city of North Bonneville in Washington opened the Cannabis Corner in early 2015. Profits go to special city projects, like upgrading the local playground.

6. There's still a black market for pot, even where it's legal.

That's because it's cheaper. Pot sold legally in stores is taxed heavily. If you're buying pot from a store in Colorado, there will be about a 28% tax. In Washington, it's 37%, and in Oregon it ranges between 17% and 20% depending on what city and county you're in.

7. Banking is still a huge problem for pot shops.

Pot remains illegal on the federal level. That means many shops can't get bank accounts, since banks are regulated by the feds. Retailers have to pay employees and taxes in cash, which makes the business dangerous. But legislation has been proposed to make banking easier for medical marijuana sellers.

8. You can't smoke weed in public, anywhere.

CNNMoney (New York) First published April 19, 2016: 6:03 PM ET

Last edited:
Migrant workers are making thousands trimming marijuana in California

They sit for hours at a time, hunched over tables with scissors in one hand and marijuana in the other. The work is tedious, but it pays well -– for now. This once mostly black market trade is slowly becoming more regulated, hindering the flow of quick, under-the-table cash.

Time melds together, the sound of snipping and sticky scissors clinking as they are dipped in jars of alcohol, before they get back to grooming the weed.

Most people sitting around this table in Mendocino County are migrant workers. They flood into the region during the cannabis harvest in the fall. They are the trimmers –- those hired to cut marijuana for hours on end. Many trimmers in the county looking for work this season have come from all over the U.S. and from all over the world, including Spain, France, Portugal and Switzerland.

"You want to get all the big leaf, and all the leaf, off the flower stuff so it shows in a beautiful way," said cannabis farmer Tim Blake. "You really want to trim it perfectly if you're going to sell it."

Blake, 60, is a self-described activist who has been growing cannabis for 45 years.

Blake’s 155-acre farm is located across the road from his dispensary, Healing Harvest Farms, in Laytonville, California. The farm is home to 99 marijuana plants that look more like trees, standing between 6 and 13 feet tall. On average, he said, they produce 400 pounds of weed annually.

The towering plants are harvested every fall. Before the weed is sold, it has to be cut, dried and trimmed.

“The very best flowers are always going to be trimmed by hand,” Blake said.

“Why do we trim? It's obviously financial motivation, for sure. It's not fun work,” said Bishma, 31, who has been trimming weed for eight years. He goes by Bishma in Mendocino, but declined to give ABC News his legal name.(cont)

Congressman: Total Shift on Federal Marijuana Policy “In Five Years”

2022. Mark the date, set an alarm. By then, in five years’ time, U.S. federal marijuana policies will at last reflect the will of the American people—more than 90 percent of whom want safe and reliable access to medical cannabis, and (these days) are almost as likely to smoke weed as they are tobacco.

U.S. Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Oregon) is planning on it.

“In five years, everyone will have access to medical marijuana,” Blumenauer said during a conference call with reporters on Wednesday. “In five years, every state will be able to treat” cannabis like a commodity.

“Frankly, marijuana has gone mainstream,” he said. “This is gaining traction. It’s my personal assessment that it has come of age politically.”

Blumenauer represents most of Portland, Oregon in Congress, where he has become one of marijuana reform’s biggest supporters. But every session, there are more and more lawmakers like him.

Earlier this spring, three other representatives from states where marijuana is legal for adults 21 and over formed a bipartisan “Cannabis Caucus.” Caucus members are currently pushing the most ambitious package of marijuana reform bills ever seen on Capitol Hill—covering banking, taxation, research, veteran’s access and outright legalization in a manner similar to alcohol.

Aiding them in this effort are conservative Republicans—the kind who end rallies with “Make America Great Again” chants—because their constituents have also made it clear that “there’s a consensus that this ought to be something the federal government ought not to try and suppress,” Blumenauer said.

Adult-use legalization and medical-marijuana ballot initiatives won in eight of nine states on Election Day. Weed, Blumenauer noted, earned more voters than either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton. But despite this consensus, there’s no guarantee anything will happen in Speaker Paul Ryan’s Congress.

There’s no solid indication that any one of the 13 cannabis-related bills currently in the House and Senate will be called for a committee hearing, let alone pass a majority vote and be signed into law by President Donald Trump—whose administration continues to send mixed, but mostly hostile, signals on the issue.

On Sunday, Homeland Security chief John Kelly went on television to declare that marijuana was “not a factor” in the drug war—and then appeared to reverse himself on Tuesday, telling a law-enforcement gathering that cannabis is a deportable offense.

That same day, Attorney General Jeff Sessions—marijuana legalization’s enemy number one—completely contradicted Kelly with a declaration that cannabis distribution in America is still controlled by international drug cartels.

Blumenauer declined to directly criticize either Sessions or Trump or the administration’s erratic nature. (Partly because, by introducing a bill on Tuesday that would streamline the removal of the president from office, he said plenty.)

Instead, he suggested that they could be partners—which would greatly help Blumenauer’s effort to renew what is currently the single most important piece of federal marijuana policy.

In 2014, Congress passed a budget amendment barring the federal government from interfering in state-legal medical marijuana operations. As long as the amendment is in effect, neither the Justice Department nor the DEA can do anything about law-abiding medial cannabis—a notion federal courts have upheld.

But the amendment expires on April 29—Donald Trump’s 100th day in office—and needs to be renewed.

Last week, 44 members of Congress signed a letter, co-authored by Blumenauer and U.S. Rep Dana Rohrabacher, asking that the amendment—now named the “Rohrabacher-Blumenaeur amendment”—be included in any spending bills, the tone and agenda for which are generally set by the president.

“I’m quite confident that we will ultimately be successful working with this administration, despite some confusing signals which have characterized everything from foreign policy to healthcare,” Blumenauer said. “This is where the American public wants to go. To do otherwise would be to precipitate yet another clash for an administration bogged down in everything.”

“I don’t think they want to pick a fight to be on the wrong side of the American public,” he added.

Marijuana reform efforts will likely continue throughout the rest of Trump’s current term in office.

“It’s going to take another two to four years to work this through,” Blumenauer said. In the meantime, marijuana advocates and entrepreneurs should be cautiously optimistic—and on their best behavior.

“This is a pivotal time and nobody should take anything for granted,” he said. “These are strange times in this nation’s capital and sometimes things happen that are unexpected. But the long term is clear.”

...I don't know man...I hope he's right...but I don't know...it makes too much sense...that bothers me.

State of the Leaf

Good article reviewing very recent activity on a state by state basis.

Will Jeff Sessions launch a War on Weed? If so, it could accelerate marijuana legalization.

Today is April 20, when reporters and columnists everywhere bust out their lamest pot jokes to note what has become a new quasi-holiday devoted to advocacy for marijuana legalization. And some new polls show just how strong that movement is becoming.

A CBS poll out today shows that 61 percent of Americans favor full legalization, the highest number the poll has recorded, while a Quinnipiac poll puts the number at 60 percent, with an incredible 94 percent saying people ought to be able to get it if their doctors prescribe it (CBS put that figure at 88 percent). Perhaps more important, 71 percent in the CBS poll and 73 percent in the Quinnipiac poll said that the federal government should leave states that have legalized it alone.

But there’s one person who doesn’t agree, and he happens to be the chief law enforcement officer of the U.S. government. In fact, if there’s a single thing that Attorney General Jeff Sessions hates more than undocumented immigrants it might just be marijuana, which is why he appears to be planning what amounts to a return to a 1980s-style War on Drugs. We don’t yet know what practical steps Sessions will take, because things are still in the planning stages. But allow me to suggest that in the end, Sessions might actually accelerate the country’s move toward the eventual goal of full legalization.

When it comes to cannabis, the attorney general is old school. His views seem to be ripped right from “Reefer Madness,” with dark warnings about how the evil weed will fry your brain like an egg (and who knows, maybe make you start listening to that crazy jazz music). Here’s an excerpt of a speech he gave last month:

I realize this may be an unfashionable belief in a time of growing tolerance of drug use. But too many lives are at stake to worry about being fashionable. I reject the idea that America will be a better place if marijuana is sold in every corner store. And I am astonished to hear people suggest that we can solve our heroin crisis by legalizing marijuana – so people can trade one life-wrecking dependency for another that’s only slightly less awful. Our nation needs to say clearly once again that using drugs will destroy your life.

When Sessions was under consideration for a federal judgeship in 1986, a witness testified that he had heard Sessions say that he thought the Ku Klux Klan “was okay until I found out they smoked pot.” Even if that might have just been a tasteless joke, Sessions has made clear that he still believes that “good people don’t smoke marijuana.”

But the big unanswered question is how the attorney general will approach the states that have passed some form of legalization. He could follow the (mostly) hands-off approach that the Obama administration did. Or he could send out federal agents to start shutting down dispensaries across the country. Or he could do something in between. But given his strong views and the fact that marijuana is still illegal under federal law — which gives him substantial power to go after the burgeoning pot industry in states that have l

it’s hard to believe there isn’t some kind of crackdown coming from the Justice Department.

Sessions may already be having a deterrent effect. The Colorado legislature was all set to pass a law regulating marijuana clubs, but backed off after the governor warned that doing so could incur Sessions’ wrath. But in other places, the movement toward legalization continues. Just yesterday, West Virginia’s governor signed a law passed by the legislature to create a medical marijuana system in the state.

Which means that if and when he attacks legal marijuana, Sessions will be going after a movement with extraordinary momentum. And it’s not just the opinion polls, it’s also what’s happening at the ballot box. In 2016, marijuana initiatives were on the ballot in nine states, and won in eight of them. California, Massachusetts, Maine and Nevada legalized marijuana for recreational use, while Arkansas, Florida, Montana and North Dakota passed medical marijuana initiatives. Only Arizona’s recreational measure was narrowly defeated.

As of now, there are 8 states that have legalized recreational marijuana, and 22 more (counting D.C.) that have some kind of medical legalization in place. Sixty-eight million Americans live in the recreational marijuana states, and another 133 million live in the medical marijuana states, for a total of over 200 million Americans, or over three-fifths of the population.

And no one on either side of this issue thinks those numbers are going to go anywhere but up. While it’s still early, Ballotpedia has tracked proposed marijuana initiatives in 12 states that are planned for 2017 or 2018. Some may never make the ballot, but any initiative that does stands a strong chance of passing, even in conservative states. In many other states, lawmakers have proposed bills that would legalize cannabis for recreational or medical use.

So consider this scenario. Sessions initiates some kind of new War on Weed, one that results in lots of splashy headlines, dramatic video of state-licensed businesses being shut down, and thoughtful debates about the proper balance between federal and state power. Then the backlash begins. Even many Republicans express their dismay at the Justice Department’s heavy-handed actions. Pressure builds on President Trump (whose comments on the topic have been mostly vague and non-committal) to rein Sessions in. The controversy energizes cannabis advocates and the voters who agree with them. More and more candidates come out in favor of legalization, or at least a new federal law that would remove the drug from Schedule 1 (which puts it in the same category as heroin or cocaine) and leave it up to states to decide how to handle it without any federal interference.

Then in 2020, we see the first major-party nominee who advocates full legalization of marijuana.

That last part might not happen three years from now (though some past and future nominees have already sponsored bills to allow medical use). But it will eventually, because politicians inevitably follow where the public has moved.

Most of them do, anyway. But on this issue, Jeff Sessions is not such a politician — he’s going to pursue that demon weed no matter what the public thinks. But we all know where America is heading on this issue, and Sessions may end up pushing us there just a little faster

The Exhaustive List Of Everyone Who’s Died Of A Marijuana Overdose
Thursday is April 20, better known to many as 4/20, or “Weed Day.” People around the world are celebrating the unofficial marijuana holiday by gathering for rallies, smoke-outs, policy discussions and thousands of other weed-centric events.

It’s a day of blissful hypocrisy for millions of cannabis users in the U.S., who by and large are still expected to be somewhat covert about their fondness for the plant. The federal government maintains that marijuana is a dangerous illegal drug, with no accepted medicinal value and a high potential for abuse. Despite repeated calls for the reclassification of cannabis, it remains on the Drug Enforcement Administration’s list of Schedule I substances ― which also includes heroin, mescaline, LSD and a broad category of synthetic stimulants often referred to as “bath salts.”

The government’s message is clear: Marijuana and the psychoactive compound within it ― tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC ― poses a severe hazard to your health. To get a better sense of just how dangerous these substances are, The Huffington Post set out to compile a list of every person who has ever died solely as the result of a marijuana overdose.

Here’s what we found:

There are no recorded instances of anyone dying from a fatal dose of marijuana alone. (cont)

Instagram Hackers Target Weed Business Accounts
nstagram hacking has more than doubled since last year with large accounts falling victim to intruders, especially accounts connected to the weed industry.

Why? Because weed-related accounts tend to have a lot of followers and happen to be connected to legit companies that are still forced to deal only in cash.

Instagram, currently the fastest growing social media network, also provides marketing tools for weed companies who are still dependent on alternative outlets due to marijuana’s tentative status. This is especially true these days with so many anti-weed crusaders in the White House trying to turn the clock back.

According to the LA Weekly, an employee of TLC Collective in Los Angeles, said an affiliated account—the Jungle Boys grow operation with more than 300,000 followers—was recently disabled for 24 hours.

Another Instagram account belonging to the CaliCropDoc, a consulting firm for growers, knew of an affiliate with 1.6 million Instagram followers who had its account hacked after promoting a giveaway for medical marijuana companies RxCannaCare.com and PathogenZERO.com.

The account was taken down and replaced with smiley face that said, “You’ve been hacked.” (cont)

Meet the Hardcore Trump Republican Pushing Pot Reform’s Best Hope

Matt Gaetz is a conservative Republican’s conservative Republican.

Gaetz is a 34-year-old attorney who, while in the Florida legislature, pushed for accelerated executions and blocked any revision of the stand-your-ground law following Trayvon Martin’s shooting death. He now represents most of the Florida Panhandle in Congress.

Most of us would call those solid conservative bona fides “textbook reactionary,” but back at home in Gaetz’s First Congressional District, they’re local mores. His district is so solidly Republican, it’s an island of dark red floating in a less-red sea.

The district is the most conservative in Florida, with a plus-22 conservative rating from the Cook Partisan Voting Index—which may be off by double-digits. In November’s election, Gaetz defeated the Democratic challenger by nearly 40 percentage points.

So far in Congress, Gaetz has made waves for introducing a bill that would permanently abolish the Environmental Protection Agency. And in February, during the buildup leading to the failure to repeal or replace Obamacare, Gaetz ended a town-hall meeting by leading a chant to “Make America Great Again!”

Gaetz, then, is the perfect person to carry what could be the single most important marijuana-related reform bill in a session of Congress full of cannabis-related legislation.

On April 6, Gaetz and fellow Florida Rep. Darren Soto, (D-Orlando) introduced a bill that, if passed, would force Attorney General Jeff Sessions to remove marijuana from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act to Schedule III.

Because, you see, even if Floridians want to shoot people and then put shooters on an accelerated death-row conveyor belt, they want to use medical marijuana while doing it. On the same day Donald Trump and Matt Gaetz were elected, Florida voters also overwhelmingly voted in favor of expanded medical cannabis access.

“This drug should not be in the same category as heroin and LSD, and we do not need to continue with a policy that turns thousands of young people into felons every year,” Gaetz said in a statement. “Nor do we need to punish the millions of people who are sick and seeking medical help—from pain, from muscle wasting, from chemotherapy-induced nausea.” (cont)

4 Reasons Why Legalizing Weed Can Help Save The World
enviro.jpg

Photo credit

The criminalization of cannabis is bad for the environment. For decades, unregulated and illicit cannabis cultivation meant harvesting crops in precious forests, parks and remote areas that are singled out for preservation. As the demand for pot grows, we could face harsher environmental repercussions if federal drug enforcement continues. Legalizing pot would allow for regulated grow areas, higher quality cannabis, less environmental impact and meet higher standards for the use and disposal of toxic substances that are causing harm to natural habitats.

1. Illegal growers use dangerous chemicals
Why_Legalizing_Weed_1.jpg

Photo credit
In California, illegal growers’ use of toxic pesticides and rodenticides to protect their marijuana crops are posing a threat to the region’s environmental safety.

The substances have become detrimentally harmful to wildlife in the area who come anywhere near cultivation sites, not to mention that they are upsetting the ecological balance of the area.

Preservationists are finding that chemicals are seeping into much of the land’s soil, where they can easily make their way into nearby streams and rivers, poisoning local fish and the animals that consume them.

The potential impacts on humans is equally alarming. Most toxic substances are left scattered throughout forests where those who lack knowledge of the chemicals are left vulnerable to unsafe contact.

Carbofuran, a popular substance used to kill off rodents, causes symptoms ranging from nausea, to convulsions, right on up to sudden death. Chemical leaks into nearby water sources can eventually bleed into small towns and cities as well; poisoning the water supply.

2. Local cultivators could safely maintain inventory
Why_Legalizing_Weed_2.jpg

Photo credit
According to environmentalist Scott Gracen, pot regulation would allow small-time growers to become registered and contribute to the growing industry. He believes that this would undermine the black market and lead to reduced environmental strains on these impacted areas.

You’re going to get a higher quality product and better environmental performance from more small production.

It’s when you go to high-volume production, you lose quality and you have to use chemical crutches.

3. Cannabis smugglers produce harmful emissions
Why_Legalizing_Weed_4.jpg

Photo credit
Nikki Gloudeman, senior fellow at Mother Jones magazine says that legalization would also benefit the environment by reducing many of the harmful smuggling practices used by drug cartels.

Cartels routinely use generators, diesel storage tanks, and animal poison to preserve their cache, when the border area is surrounded by more than 4 million acres of sensitive federal wilderness.

4. Indoor grow houses consume tons of energy
Why_Legalizing_Weed_3.jpg

Photo credit
Currently, 1% of U.S. electricity consumption comes from indoor cannabis cultivation. While it may not sound like much, that energy expenditure equates to $6 billion per year and produces the same amount of CO2 emissions in one year as 3 million standard vehicles.

Pot legalization would move much of this production out into the open. This way, cultivators can quit using artificial light and opt for the photosynthesis provided by natural sunlight.

John Krocer, owner of Colorado medical marijuana dispensary, River Rock told CBS Denver,

Arrests after Philly police raid pot party: 'Marijuana is still illegal'

Philadelphia police conducted a raid of a marijuana meet-up in a Frankford warehouse Saturday night around 9 p.m., according to sources and media reports.

The event, which took place in a warehouse on the 4500 block of Worth Street, was publicly organized on Instagram by Philly Smoke Session, which was charging $50 per person to attend the event.

Sources who were at the party say that about 75 people were detained by police, and that as many as 11 were arrested, including libertarian candidate for mayor and pot activist N.A. Poe, whose real name is Rich Tamaccio. A number of vendors who were selling marijuana-infused products were also arrested, though the exact number is currently unknown.

Sources also say that several attendees had chronic medical conditions, but were unable to obtain medical marijuana elsewhere.

"Seeing friends get carted out of there like that hurt," Michael P. Whiter, a pot activist who attended the event, shared on Facebook. Whiter added that he's trying to deal with the situation "rationally and not emotionally."

As of early Sunday morning, police haven’t released any information about the raid, including the number of people detained and arrested.

Among those detained by police was Philly.com columnist Chris Goldstein, who tweeted about the raid as it was happening.

Who’s The New Drug Czar?

Washington, D.C. -- After months of speculation, President Donald Trump apparently has found drug czar. Congressman Tom Marino, an early and vocal supporter of Trump’s run for the White House, reportedly will be nominated director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP).

According to CBS, the first news outlet to break the news of the pending announcement, reported that “Marino is in the final stages of completing his paperwork and an official announcement is forthcoming.” If true, Marino will resign from his seat in the House, which he has held since 2011.

The position is not a cabinet post, but requires a Senate confirmation. Historically, the ONDCP advises the executive branch on drug-control issues and coordinates activities to combat drug-related issues. The agency’s charter includes fighting to reduce illicit drug use, putting a stop illegal narcotic manufacturing and trafficking, reducing drug-related crime and violence, and improving drug-related health consequences.

“My understanding is that Tom has a deep understanding of the issue and is excited to get started,” Kevin Sabet, who served for three presidents as an ONDCP adviser, told CBS News.

The National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML), a leading cannabis advocacy group, gives Marino a “D” grade for his positions. The former prosecutor has a long record of voting against progressive marijuana legislation, including opposing amendments that would have allowed Department of Veterans Affairs doctors to recommend cannabis to veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

Robert Capecchi, director of federal policies for the Marijuana Policy Project, another pro-cannabis advocacy organization, opposes Marino for the job. According to Capecchi:

“We are disappointed but not at all surprised to hear a marijuana prohibitionist is being selected as the next drug czar. After all, whoever fills the position is required by law to oppose any attempts to legalize the use of marijuana for any purpose.

“Despite a steady stream of anti-marijuana drug czars over the past several decades, 28 states have legalized marijuana for medical use and eight states have enacted laws regulating it for adult use. We expect that trend to continue regardless of who the next drug czar is.

“President Trump repeatedly said he believes states should be able to determine their own marijuana policies, and the vast majority of Americans agree. We remain hopeful that the administration will respect state marijuana laws. It is also critical that Congress take action to ease the tension that exists between state and federal marijuana laws.”

Based on his record and his public statements, Marino has focused more on the opioid epidemic than marijuana use. Last year, he was appointed to serve on the House’s bipartisan committee charged with tackling the opioid crisis. And as the drug czar, it would appear Marino’s focus would remain on this major national issue.

When he ran for re-election last year, Marino was asked by a reporter for the Williamsport Sun-Gazette if marijuana “should marijuana be legalized on a national level, either for medical or recreational use.” Here is his response:

“The only way I would agree to consider legalizing marijuana is if we had a really in depth-medical scientific study. If it does help people one way or another, then produce it in pill form … You can’t smoke it for this, but you take a pill. But don’t make an excuse because you want to smoke marijuana. Look what’s happening to states and cities who are legalizing it. They are running into a lot of problems.

“I’m a states’ rights guy. The less federal government in my life, the best. I think it’s a states’ right issue. If Pennsylvania passes it … and if I don’t like it, I can pick up and move.

“But I don’t agree with the smoking part of it.”

Philadelphia police conducted a raid of a marijuana meet-up in a Frankford warehouse Saturday night around 9 p.m., according to sources and media reports.

The event, which took place in a warehouse on the 4500 block of Worth Street, was publicly organized on Instagram by Philly Smoke Session, which was charging $50 per person to attend the event.

Okay..... how can this possibly be a surprise? They set themselves up by advertising on IG; for one. The laws in PA are pretty clear that this type of event wouldn't be legal.

I dunno.. I'm all for pushing reform and even pushing the envelope a bit if you can get away with it. Hash Bash here in Ann Arbor would be a good example. But it seems to me that the kind of events like the one in this story lead to negative press that's counter productive to the entire legalization movement.

Okay..... how can this possibly be a surprise? They set themselves up by advertising on IG; for one. The laws in PA are pretty clear that this type of event wouldn't be legal.

I dunno.. I'm all for pushing reform and even pushing the envelope a bit if you can get away with it. Hash Bash here in Ann Arbor would be a good example. But it seems to me that the kind of events like the one in this story lead to negative press that's counter productive to the entire legalization movement.
I completely agree.

Charges Dropped for All but 2 in DC Pot Giveaway

WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal prosecutors have dropped charges against six of the eight people arrested during a marijuana giveaway near the U.S. Capitol.

The U.S. attorney’s office said Friday that it would pursue misdemeanor charges only against two men who had more than 2 ounces of pot on them. Possession of up to 2 ounces for personal use is legal in the District of Columbia, although it remains illegal under federal law.

The men were arrested Thursday near the Capitol during a demonstration by pot legalization activists who were giving away free joints. Both have been released from custody and ordered to stay away from the Capitol Grounds.

One was Adam Eidinger, who led the ballot initiative that made pot legal in Washington. He did not immediately return a message.

This had nothing to do with the law and everything to do with the police wanting to disrupt these people's lawful political free speech, IMO.

“The DEA has lost its moral authority”: Rep. Jared Polis pulls no punches in exclusive interview

Colorado congressman talks with The Cannabist about marijuana policy, states' rights, and why Attorney General Jeff Sessions needs to 'get with the times'

In his eight years on Capitol Hill, Congressman Jared Polis has doggedly championed cannabis legalization.

For the Democrat from Colorado, it’s a matter of personal freedom, a means toward more a effective criminal justice system, and a potential boost for local and regional economies. It’s also policy that a majority of voters in his home state want: Colorado legalized medical marijuana in 2000 and then became the first U.S. state to have legal, regulated sales of recreational marijuana in 2014.

On why he champions legal cannabis

“Look, these are decisions that people get to make in life. To somehow say that just because you happen to choose to use marijuana you’re some kind of criminal is not only offensive, but it’s really counter-productive as a society in terms of shifting money away from businesses to cartels, having police waste their time on something of no public safety consequence, and putting good people potentially in jail and in court.”

On the prospect for passing marijuana reform legislation in the current Congress
“The bills, like Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol, it’s a tough-going, because procedurally it has to flow through committees whose chairmen are not friendly toward medicinal or recreational cannabis. So the best route … would be to go around leadership with these floor amendments (Rohrabacher-Blumenauer and McClintock-Polis). It doesn’t matter if Paul Ryan or Mitch McConnell or Kevin McCarthy vote against them, if you have sufficient votes on the floor to pass them, they become part of those appropriations bills … and no federal funds can be used to enforce federal laws in areas where it’s legal in a state, as long as you’re following state law,” he said.

“That’s what I think we have an operational majority to do. So that’s step 1. It might take a few more years to get to the whole enchilada.”

On the Cannabis Caucus and Attorney General Sessions
“I would point out the imperative — for Colorado but also states where over 60 percent of the American people live — that they get with the times, look at the data and allow the states the room to come out with the right way to regulate marijuana,” he said.

“And that’s not where he is today, but the more he hears it, the more people he hears it from, the better, and he needs to catch up from the age of Reefer Madness to the 21st Century. We’ve got to bring him there over the course of the next few months.”

On the DEA’s stance on medical marijuana
(Watch the full video at the top of this post)

“The DEA has lost their moral authority in this matter, which is sad and dangerous for us as a nation, because we are suffering under the scourge of meth abuse and opioid abuse. … This is ripping families apart. People are dying. It’s awful. And yet the DEA is removing their eye from the ball and they’re saying we’re going to classify CBDs as Schedule I and we’re going to bust somebody who’s trying to help their migraines. I mean, this is a huge disservice for the public health, huge disservice to our country, and it’s why, of course, the DEA should reschedule marijuana. That doesn’t solve all of our issues, but at least it allows for medicinal use and testing. But two, Congress needs to take this up, because we can’t allow this DEA to continue to act as a rogue agency. Too many lives are at risk.”

On “Big Marijuana” concerns and the business of legal cannabis
“I think so and, you know, some of that comes back to the public and municipal and county and state regulatory apparatus, right? We certainly, for instance, have independent liquor stores in our state because we only allow grocery stores to sell liquor in one (store). You could certainly have municipal rules that nobody can own more than one dispensary in your boundaries. You could have state rules about size, so it’s entirely up to policy-makers and your elected officials whether this winds up as one super-chain of 50 dispensaries or whether they’re all independently owned or operated or somewhere in-between.”

Outstanding. This in particular: "because we can’t allow this DEA to continue to act as a rogue agency" :thumbsup::clap:

Growing Number of Baby Boomers Are Using Marijuana
BY GUEST POST ON APRIL 25TH, 2017 AT 1:01 PM | UPDATED: APRIL 25TH, 2017 AT 1:06 PM LIFESTYLE, MARIJUANA NEWS

declining, a 2012 Statistics Canada community health survey found that the percentage of older users has quadrupled since 2002. The increase in the U.S. is just as dramatic. A 2016 study published in the journal Addiction indicates that marijuana use among those 65 and up swelled by 250 per cent between 2006 and 2013.

These days, Susan smokes pot using a vaporizer, a move advised by her doctor. She makes her own edibles mixing oil with vaporized weed, adding it to peanut butter and homemade granola.

“When I travel, I bring the granola,” she says.

Asked if she’s ever worried about getting caught crossing the border, Susan shrugs. “I’m just a Jewish grandmother from Toronto.”

When NOW went searching for older women who use cannabis, they were hard to find at first. But where there’s smoke, there are stoners. Many of the women we contacted have smoked pot for years and continue to be huge fans of the stuff. A few of them have grown their own, one was a small-time dealer, and nearly all of them had concocted their own edibles, topical creams and more.

Take Joan, a retiree who’s been smoking pot for 50 years and tends a several-hectare garden in Peel where she grows a dozen or so marijuana plants.

“We have our own animals and manure, so it’s all organic,” Joan states proudly. “My friends started wanting some of it because it’s better than that hydroponic stuff. I give most of it away, but I sell a little bit here and there.”

She recently got into edibles, which she enjoys socially. “I make a lot of cookies and butters,” she says. Many of her friends are stoners who drop by for some conversation over a bottle of wine and Joan’s pot cookies. More often than not, Joan smokes a joint during the day to help her work her garden.

“Pot gets me motivated. I can work for, like, six or seven hours after smoking. It’s amazing,” she says.

Joan also makes her own cannabis cream, which she says helps relieve joint pain and muscle aches. She’s been trying to convince her 86-year-old mother to give it a try instead of popping Tylenol.

Many of the women we spoke with claim smoking pot and consuming marijuana-laced edibles help with medical issues, even though none of them are licensed medpot users.

Craig Jones, executive director of NORML Canada (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws), says he’s heard countless similar stories from older users, particularly menopausal and post-menopausal women, on pot’s medicinal benefits.

Cannabis is believed to help relieve symptoms like mood swings, fluctuations in body temperature, sleep irregularities and pain.

Jones says, “I have one female friend who’s a trauma survivor, and she says the only decent sleep she gets is under the influence of cannabis.”

Growing interest in cannabis has led some businesses to target the demographic specifically. Collingwood-based CanCann Consulting hosts monthly workshops on how to use pot to help with pain. Events held at holistic community hubs are often standing-room-only, packed with folks eager to learn recipes for cannabis edibles, oils and tinctures.

Evelyn obtains her weed from her partner, who has a medpot licence. Once a week, he turns part of his bounty into oil, which she bakes into brownies for sleep and pain relief.

“My doctor says she believes it’s a safe alternative to sleeping pills,” she says.

Ida also self-medicates, although her doctor doesn’t know about it. The 61-year-old Barrie woman started smoking pot as a teenager. She’d use her weekly allowance to buy a nickel bag, which would last her the weekend. By the time she was in her 20s, she needed pot to help calm her down and sleep.

“I’m kind of a hyper person, so it keeps me on the same level as most people,” she says. “It’s part recreational and part self-prescribed medicinal, if you want to call it that.”

Living in west Toronto, Ida worked several jobs, including 12 years as a student loan clerk, before moving to Barrie.

“Sometimes I wake and bake if I don’t feel like doing anything,” she says. “Usually I have three joints a day.”

While Ida also smokes between five and 10 tobacco cigarettes daily, most of the women we spoke to smoke pot exclusively. Though a few had experimented with other recreational drugs in their youth, many rarely consumed alcohol.

Deb, who lives in Toronto’s east end, was an intravenous drug user addicted to speed as a teenager in the 1960s. Even when she became pregnant at 17 and then again at 20, she found it hard to quit drugs. When she took up smoking pot, her family was relieved.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back