Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Law The Cannabis Chronicles - Misc Cannabis News

Apple Now Allows Marijuana Businesses On Its App Store, While Google Maintains Ban

Apple will no longer prohibit marijuana delivery services from being hosted on its App Store—one of the latest pro-cannabis developments to come out of the tech industry.

The policy was updated last month to remove the ban, with some restrictions. A marijuana app must be geo-restricted to jurisdictions where cannabis is legal, and the program must be “submitted by a legal entity that provides the services, and not by an individual developer.”

Here’s what the previous policy said:

“Apps that encourage consumption of tobacco and vape products, illegal drugs, or excessive amounts of alcohol are not permitted on the App Store. Apps that encourage minors to consume any of these substances will be rejected. Facilitating the sale of controlled substances (except for licensed pharmacies), marijuana, or tobacco is not allowed.

The new policy, which was updated on June 7, reads:

“Apps that encourage consumption of tobacco and vape products, illegal drugs, or excessive amounts of alcohol are not permitted on the App Store. Apps that encourage minors to consume any of these substances will be rejected. Facilitating the sale of controlled substances (except for licensed pharmacies and licensed or otherwise legal cannabis dispensaries), or tobacco is not allowed.”

“Apps that provide services in highly-regulated fields (such as banking and financial services, healthcare, gambling, legal cannabis use, and air travel) or that require sensitive user information should be submitted by a legal entity that provides the services, and not by an individual developer. Apps that facilitate the legal sale of cannabis must be geo-restricted to the corresponding legal jurisdiction.”

TechCrunch first reported on the new guidelines, and WeedWeek later flagged the marijuana-specific guidance.

In contrast, Google’s Android app hub updated its policy in 2019 to explicitly prohibit programs that connect users with cannabis, no matter whether it is legal in the jurisdiction where the user lives.

“We don’t allow apps that facilitate the sale of marijuana or marijuana products, regardless of legality,” it says, adding that some examples of violations would be “allowing users to order marijuana through an in-app shopping cart feature” or “assisting users in arranging delivery or pick up of marijuana.”

It also says that “facilitating the sale of products containing THC(Tetrahydrocannabinol), including products such as CBD oils containing THC” is against its policies.

Chris Vaughn, CEO of the California delivery service Emjay, told WeedWeek that he believes Apple’s decision was informed by the continuing legalization movement in states like New York, as well as Amazon’s recent announcement that it will no longer be drug testing workers for cannabis in addition to lobbying for a federal legalization bill. He added that he thinks Google will “follow quickly” to update its own policies.

The tech industry has had a strained relationship with the marijuana industry, even as a growing number of states have decided to legalize and regulate the sale of cannabis.

Facebook, which in 2019 showed off its artificial intelligence technology that’s capable of identifying images of marijuana, continues to prohibit the commercial advertising of cannabis products, regardless of the legality of the business under state law.

Noncommercial cannabis news sites such as Marijuana Moment and state regulatory bodies like the Massachusetts Cannabis Control Commission have also been caught up in the anti-marijuana policy despite the fact that they do not promote or sell cannabis products. In some cases, it appears these organizations have been hidden from appearing in search results—a practice known as “shadowbanning.”

Despite marijuana firms being banned from Google’s app market, some of the company’s top officials seem pretty bullish about loosening cannabis laws. Google co-founder Sergey Brin joked about supplying employees with joints at a post-election meeting in 2016.

“I was asking if we could serve joints outside on the patio, but apparently these things take a little while to take effect,” Brin said, referring to the implementation of California’s cannabis legalization measure. “It was a huge, huge disappointment. I’ve been bemoaning that all week, I’ll be honest with you.”

Really, I have to like apple now
Do I have to get an iPhone, still don't know how to use my android

Sprinter Sha’Carri Richardson Has Been Disqualified From The 100-Meter Race At The Olympics After Testing Positive For Cannabis

Richardson will receive a one-month ban, and her 100-meter win at the Olympic Trials earlier this month has been invalidated.

1625240869210.png

US sprinter Sha’Carri Richardson has broken her silence following the news that the track star tested positive for cannabis, leading to her receiving a one-month ban and disqualifying her from running the 100-meter race at the Tokyo Olympics.
Appearing on NBC's Today show, the 21-year-old confirmed that she had tested positive for THC, the psychoactive substance in cannabis, which she used after hearing that her mother had died.
She told NBC the news of her mother dying was broken to her by a reporter, sending her into a “state of panic” in the midst of the pressure to perform on the track.
“I want to take responsibility for my actions. I know what I did, I know what I'm supposed to do, what I'm allowed not to do, and I still made that decision,” said Richardson.
In a statement to BuzzFeed News, the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) confirmed that Richardson had been handed a one-month ban for the violation.
“The rules are clear, but this is heartbreaking on many levels; hopefully, her acceptance of responsibility and apology will be an important example to us all that we can successfully overcome our regrettable decisions, despite the costly consequences of this one to her,” said USADA CEO Travis T. Tygart.
The USADA said in the statement that Richardson's positive test invalidates her win earlier this month in the women's 100-meter race at the Olympic Trials, meaning she will not be running that race in the Olympic Games in Tokyo.
It is still possible Richardson could be named to the 4x100 relay team, a decision that will be made by the sport's governing body, USA Track & Field, the New York Times reported.
The positive test news was broken by Jamaica’s Gleaner newspaper.

Twitter: @TODAYshow

Richardson was the woman of the moment last month after delivering a stunning performance at the track and field trials in Oregon, where she qualified for the women's 100 meters for the Tokyo Olympics by winning the race.
The Dallas native ran the race in 10.86 seconds, making her the fastest woman in America and earning herself a spot on Team USA.
Richardson expressed disappointment at the situation and vehemently maintained that she would never be associated with steroids.
“It's never been a steroid. It will never be a steroid attached to the name Sha'Carri Richardson. The charge and what the situation was is marijuana,” she told Today.
Before appearing on the show, Sha'Carri tweeted: "I am human."

The United States Anti-Doping Agency is a signatory to the World Anti-Doping Code (WADA), which rules cannabis and cannabinoids as prohibited substances in competition with exceptions for athletes who have approved Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE).

sub-buzz-5183-1625229775-1.jpg

Steph Chambers / Getty Images

Sha'Carri Richardson celebrates winning the women's 100-meter final with grandmother Betty Harp.

Regardless of the outcome, Richardson expressed optimism that this would not be her last chance at the Olympics.
While not generally considered a performance-enhancing drug, WADA’s classification of cannabis and cannabinoids is based on its potential danger to athletes, its impact on the “spirit of sport,” and the result of some studies that show it can potentially be a performance enhancer.
As reported in the Gleaner, Jenna Prandini, who finished fourth in the trials, has been tapped to join the Olympic team, and fifth-placed finisher Gabby Thomas will be heading to Tokyo as an alternate.
The Summer Olympics are scheduled to begin on July 23.
Richardson’s post-race interview in Oregon last month delivered a viral moment where she declared herself to be “that girl,” earning her fans across the internet.
"I just want the world to know that I'm that girl," she told an NBC reporter. "Every time I step on the track, I'm gonna try to do what it is that me, my coach, and my support team believe I can do."

Congressional Lawmakers Support Using Drones To Spot Illegal Marijuana Grows On Public Lands

An influential House committee says it supports federal law enforcement efforts to deploy drones in California to find illicit marijuana grow sites on public lands. However, it said that support is contingent on resolving issues related to cybersecurity and domestic production.

The note about the use of drones to find illegally grown cannabis comes in a House Appropriations Committee report filed last week that’s attached to a spending bill for the Department of the Interior and environmental efforts for fiscal year 2022. As in previous years’ reports, the document addresses the issue of illicit marijuana cultivation on public lands owned by the federal government.

But the language on the use of drone technology to combat illegal growers is new for this year.

“The Committee is aware that trespassers illegally grow marijuana on public lands in California,” the report says. “These unlawful activities harmfully impact the public, water, soil, and wildlife. The Committee supports Forest Service efforts to develop tools to detect and eradicate grow sites.”

“The Committee also supports the Department of the Interior’s use of drones to conduct statewide remote-sensing surveys of federal public lands to identify grow sites and allow for the development of cost estimates for reclamation after concerns about cybersecurity, technology, and domestic production have been addressed,” it continues.

The report doesn’t expand on those concerns related to cybersecurity, technology and domestic production, but the federal government did ground hundreds of Chinese-made drones last year, in part due to cybersecurity risks.

With respect to issues over “domestic production,” it’s possible the committee is aiming to avoid having drones used to surveil state-legal marijuana operations that are near public lands, as legal operations in some California growing communities such as Humboldt County border federal lands and could potentially be captured by the technology.

t’s unclear what steps lawmakers want the department to take to ameliorate their concerns. Marijuana Moment reached out to Rep. Chellie Pingree (D-ME), who chairs the Appropriations Interior & Environment Subcommittee, and Rep. Dave Joyce (R-OH), who is ranking member on the panel and a co-chair of the Congressional Cannabis Caucus, for clarification, but representatives were not immediately available.

The drone language wasn’t included in previous reports on the spending legislation, but another change for the fiscal year 2022 version is that it focuses on California, whereas the last report mentioned Kentucky as another state where cannabis-related “unlawful activities harmfully impact the public, water, soil, and wildlife.”

A related issue that isn’t addressed in the report was previously identified by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, whose inspector general said in 2018 that the Forest Service has often failed to clean up illicit grow sites after they finished chopping down plants.

The Interior and environment funding legislation is one of numerous large-scale bills that are moving through the House this year that contain cannabis-related provisions.

For example, the chamber on Thursday approved a transportation bill that includes a provision to allow researchers to access marijuana from state-legal dispensaries in order to effectively study impaired driving.

House lawmakers also approved several spending bills in committee on Wednesday that touch on a wide range of cannabis-related policy issues, including immigration eligibility for people who use marijuana, benefits for military veterans who work in the industry and regulations on hemp and CBD. Other bills and reports that were recently approved contain provisions on banking for cannabis businesses, marijuana use by federal employees and the ability of Washington, D.C. to legalize recreational sales.

• Sad
Reactions: arb

Congressional Lawmakers Support Using Drones To Spot Illegal Marijuana Grows On Public Lands

An influential House committee says it supports federal law enforcement efforts to deploy drones in California to find illicit marijuana grow sites on public lands. However, it said that support is contingent on resolving issues related to cybersecurity and domestic production.

The note about the use of drones to find illegally grown cannabis comes in a House Appropriations Committee report filed last week that’s attached to a spending bill for the Department of the Interior and environmental efforts for fiscal year 2022. As in previous years’ reports, the document addresses the issue of illicit marijuana cultivation on public lands owned by the federal government.

But the language on the use of drone technology to combat illegal growers is new for this year.

“The Committee is aware that trespassers illegally grow marijuana on public lands in California,” the report says. “These unlawful activities harmfully impact the public, water, soil, and wildlife. The Committee supports Forest Service efforts to develop tools to detect and eradicate grow sites.”

“The Committee also supports the Department of the Interior’s use of drones to conduct statewide remote-sensing surveys of federal public lands to identify grow sites and allow for the development of cost estimates for reclamation after concerns about cybersecurity, technology, and domestic production have been addressed,” it continues.

The report doesn’t expand on those concerns related to cybersecurity, technology and domestic production, but the federal government did ground hundreds of Chinese-made drones last year, in part due to cybersecurity risks.

With respect to issues over “domestic production,” it’s possible the committee is aiming to avoid having drones used to surveil state-legal marijuana operations that are near public lands, as legal operations in some California growing communities such as Humboldt County border federal lands and could potentially be captured by the technology.

t’s unclear what steps lawmakers want the department to take to ameliorate their concerns. Marijuana Moment reached out to Rep. Chellie Pingree (D-ME), who chairs the Appropriations Interior & Environment Subcommittee, and Rep. Dave Joyce (R-OH), who is ranking member on the panel and a co-chair of the Congressional Cannabis Caucus, for clarification, but representatives were not immediately available.

The drone language wasn’t included in previous reports on the spending legislation, but another change for the fiscal year 2022 version is that it focuses on California, whereas the last report mentioned Kentucky as another state where cannabis-related “unlawful activities harmfully impact the public, water, soil, and wildlife.”

A related issue that isn’t addressed in the report was previously identified by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, whose inspector general said in 2018 that the Forest Service has often failed to clean up illicit grow sites after they finished chopping down plants.

The Interior and environment funding legislation is one of numerous large-scale bills that are moving through the House this year that contain cannabis-related provisions.

For example, the chamber on Thursday approved a transportation bill that includes a provision to allow researchers to access marijuana from state-legal dispensaries in order to effectively study impaired driving.

House lawmakers also approved several spending bills in committee on Wednesday that touch on a wide range of cannabis-related policy issues, including immigration eligibility for people who use marijuana, benefits for military veterans who work in the industry and regulations on hemp and CBD. Other bills and reports that were recently approved contain provisions on banking for cannabis businesses, marijuana use by federal employees and the ability of Washington, D.C. to legalize recreational sales.
Yeah....but these same shitheads can't seem to figure out how to stop "Maria from Credit Card Services" from ringing my phone 20 times a day...right?

Sprinter Sha’Carri Richardson Has Been Disqualified From The 100-Meter Race At The Olympics After Testing Positive For Cannabis

Richardson will receive a one-month ban, and her 100-meter win at the Olympic Trials earlier this month has been invalidated.

View attachment 28534

US sprinter Sha’Carri Richardson has broken her silence following the news that the track star tested positive for cannabis, leading to her receiving a one-month ban and disqualifying her from running the 100-meter race at the Tokyo Olympics.
Appearing on NBC's Today show, the 21-year-old confirmed that she had tested positive for THC, the psychoactive substance in cannabis, which she used after hearing that her mother had died.
She told NBC the news of her mother dying was broken to her by a reporter, sending her into a “state of panic” in the midst of the pressure to perform on the track.
“I want to take responsibility for my actions. I know what I did, I know what I'm supposed to do, what I'm allowed not to do, and I still made that decision,” said Richardson.
In a statement to BuzzFeed News, the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) confirmed that Richardson had been handed a one-month ban for the violation.
“The rules are clear, but this is heartbreaking on many levels; hopefully, her acceptance of responsibility and apology will be an important example to us all that we can successfully overcome our regrettable decisions, despite the costly consequences of this one to her,” said USADA CEO Travis T. Tygart.
The USADA said in the statement that Richardson's positive test invalidates her win earlier this month in the women's 100-meter race at the Olympic Trials, meaning she will not be running that race in the Olympic Games in Tokyo.
It is still possible Richardson could be named to the 4x100 relay team, a decision that will be made by the sport's governing body, USA Track & Field, the New York Times reported.
The positive test news was broken by Jamaica’s Gleaner newspaper.

Twitter: @TODAYshow

Richardson was the woman of the moment last month after delivering a stunning performance at the track and field trials in Oregon, where she qualified for the women's 100 meters for the Tokyo Olympics by winning the race.
The Dallas native ran the race in 10.86 seconds, making her the fastest woman in America and earning herself a spot on Team USA.
Richardson expressed disappointment at the situation and vehemently maintained that she would never be associated with steroids.
“It's never been a steroid. It will never be a steroid attached to the name Sha'Carri Richardson. The charge and what the situation was is marijuana,” she told Today.
Before appearing on the show, Sha'Carri tweeted: "I am human."

The United States Anti-Doping Agency is a signatory to the World Anti-Doping Code (WADA), which rules cannabis and cannabinoids as prohibited substances in competition with exceptions for athletes who have approved Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE).

sub-buzz-5183-1625229775-1.jpg

Steph Chambers / Getty Images

Sha'Carri Richardson celebrates winning the women's 100-meter final with grandmother Betty Harp.

Regardless of the outcome, Richardson expressed optimism that this would not be her last chance at the Olympics.
While not generally considered a performance-enhancing drug, WADA’s classification of cannabis and cannabinoids is based on its potential danger to athletes, its impact on the “spirit of sport,” and the result of some studies that show it can potentially be a performance enhancer.
As reported in the Gleaner, Jenna Prandini, who finished fourth in the trials, has been tapped to join the Olympic team, and fifth-placed finisher Gabby Thomas will be heading to Tokyo as an alternate.
The Summer Olympics are scheduled to begin on July 23.
Richardson’s post-race interview in Oregon last month delivered a viral moment where she declared herself to be “that girl,” earning her fans across the internet.
"I just want the world to know that I'm that girl," she told an NBC reporter. "Every time I step on the track, I'm gonna try to do what it is that me, my coach, and my support team believe I can do."
So, now they are not going to allow her to be part of the relay team either. She's out of Tokyo.

This is a travesty. Truly a contemptible, avoidable, travesty.

And, IMO, this young lady handled herself very well during all of this. No excuses, no "fill in the blank" cards played, no claim of victim-hood. She acknowledged that she violated rules that she was aware of, she acknowledge the harm and hurt her actions caused to team mates and coaches who put in so much time with her, and she sincerely apologized.

End of that part of the story for me. I think she is admirable in the way she handled herself, frankly.

The part of the story that isn't over, as far as I'm concerned, is WTF any athlete is being booted from competition for using MJ....well, maybe if it was an eating contest and the munchies would help. But other than that???? In sort of a humorous vein, I can see in my mind's eye a Cheech and Chong scene at the pole vault....holding the pole, looking ALL the way up there at the bar, and saying "oh wow, man.....wow". LOL

1625664667169.png

"As goes New York goes, so goes the world."

One can only fervently hope NOT!

The New York Cannabis Market Will Shape the Future of the Industry

As goes New York goes, so goes the world.

A few months ago, Governor Andrew Cuomo signed New York's Senate Bill S854A, the Marijuana Regulation and Taxation Act (MRTA), legalizing adult-use cannabis in New York. Despite having just passed, the MRTA has already positioned New York at the center of the legal cannabis movement.
While California's legalization in 1996 initially pushed states towards legalization, New York, and more specifically New York City, has the power to normalize legal cannabis, move the government towards federal legalization, and catalyze the global cannabis legalization movement. As the country's most populous city and the U.S.'s cultural, financial, and media capital, New York City shapes the future of all sorts of industries. And its role in cannabis will be no different.
Through the MRTA, New York's market has the potential to shape the country's cannabis industry, with the following factors leading the way.

Social equity

The New York legislature passed the MRTA, which is the most progressive state-wide cannabis legislation passed to date. A prominent element of the bill is provisions that support social equity, which aims to create a more diverse and inclusive cannabis industry. The MRTA mandates that 50% of license holders, and a certain percentage of employees, represent people from communities of color that were negatively impacted by the War on Drugs, along with other underrepresented groups like women and veterans. While regulations still have to be written and approved, the bill itself lays the groundwork for repairing communities damaged by the war on drugs by empowering a diverse group of people to participate in this growing legal industry.

Social consumption

One of the exciting surprises of this bill was that it embraced the concept of "social consumption" lounges, which is essentially a public place for adults 21 and older to consume cannabis and perhaps enjoy some food or entertainment while they do it.
This is how it should be, as those spaces already exist en masse serving other regulated products like alcohol on site, and we call them bars, restaurants, hotels, and venues. All of these spaces should have an opportunity to involve cannabis in their approach to hospitality. With the rise of cannabis-infused beverages, a social consumption lounge doesn't have to look or feel anything like a smoke-filled Amsterdam coffee shop— although those are great as well!
NYC will lead the globe in social consumption, with cannabis-infused experiences and entertainment and participation from a multi-disciplinary group of professionals. Imagine a night out in the East Village enjoying artisan cannabis cocktails from Death + Co and then taking in a lightly infused dinner followed by an outdoor jazz concert to enjoy low dose THC pre-rolls optimized for musical enjoyment. The possibilities are endless.

Delivery

Tens of billions of dollars of food and other CPG goods are delivered by courier, usually on a bicycle, in New York City every year. In addition, the city of New York consumes more cannabis - almost all of it from the underground market - than any other city in the world. You couldn't have a robust social equity bill without delivery right out of the gates - as the physical density of the city and low startup costs make it an attractive opportunity for achieving the promise of economic advancement to impacted communities. Based on current regulations, a business would be limited to 25 delivery drivers, protecting small businesses from large tech incumbents like Uber and Amazon. The overall scale, challenge, and ultimate opportunity in New York City cannabis delivery will catalyze the creation of ancillary companies that support the infrastructure of what will be a multi-billion dollar industry.

Wall Street

Launching, operating, and successfully scaling a regulated cannabis business is one of the most challenging tasks ever conceived - and the startup costs are immense, so access to capital is one of the most urgent and vital issues to confront. For the most part, Wall Street has mainly remained sidelined from investing in US-based plant-touching cannabis companies—primarily due to federal banking laws and SEC guidelines around cannabis.
Like it or not, Wall Street has some real power at the Federal level, and I can't envision a world where a multi-billion dollar industry is created on the streets of New York without Wall Street and the broader global financial community getting in on the action. Many federal bills are working their way through the system, including the broad-based MORE act to the more banking-specific SAFE act. It's not a matter of if Wall Street gets involved; it's when. At that point, hundreds of billions of dollars of capital will be up for grabs as the industry goes global.
This is just the beginning of the new market that's poised to take over the cannabis industry. There's no industry with as much growth potential as legalized cannabis - New York State is projected to create over 50,000 jobs over the next five years in this newly legal industry, across the state and all disciplines from cultivation to logistics to retail and beyond.
While there are still many unanswered questions about the New York cannabis market, one thing is for sure - demand and anticipation are building rapidly. With 9 million people in NYC and over 60 million people in the Northeast, New York is sure to be the state to watch as the cannabis industry continues to expand.

Top U.S. Sports Regulator Says Marijuana Policy ‘Must Change’ As White House Pursues Global Meeting

The rules on marijuana for international athletes “must change,” the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) said in a response letter to members of Congress on Friday following the suspension of runner Sha’Carri Richardson over a positive cannabis test. Separately, the White House is now reportedly seeking a meeting with international sports regulators to discuss the possibility of a policy change.

Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) and Jamie Raskin (D-MD) recently sent a letter to the U.S. athletics governing body on the penalty against Richardson, who admitted to using marijuana in a legal state after learning about her mother’s death. Earlier this week, USADA expressed sympathy for the runner and indicated that it may be time for a reevaluation of the marijuana prohibition—but the latest statement, in a letter to the lawmakers, explicitly calls for a policy change.

At the same time, the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) is working to secure a meeting with the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) to discuss enacting reform on the international sports stage. The Financial Times reported on Friday that the government intends to discuss issues “including the timeframe for testing, and the basis for the consideration of cannabis as a performance enhancing drug.”

In its letter to Ocasio-Cortez and Raskin, USADA said it “agrees that Ms. Richardson’s exclusion from the Tokyo Olympic Games is a heartbreaking situation and that the World Anti-Doping Agency’s rules concerning marijuana must change.”

The rules on marijuana for international athletes “must change,” the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) said in a response letter to members of Congress on Friday following the suspension of runner Sha’Carri Richardson over a positive cannabis test. Separately, the White House is now reportedly seeking a meeting with international sports regulators to discuss the possibility of a policy change.

Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) and Jamie Raskin (D-MD) recently sent a letter to the U.S. athletics governing body on the penalty against Richardson, who admitted to using marijuana in a legal state after learning about her mother’s death. Earlier this week, USADA expressed sympathy for the runner and indicated that it may be time for a reevaluation of the marijuana prohibition—but the latest statement, in a letter to the lawmakers, explicitly calls for a policy change.

At the same time, the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) is working to secure a meeting with the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) to discuss enacting reform on the international sports stage. The Financial Times reported on Friday that the government intends to discuss issues “including the timeframe for testing, and the basis for the consideration of cannabis as a performance enhancing drug.”

In its letter to Ocasio-Cortez and Raskin, USADA said it “agrees that Ms. Richardson’s exclusion from the Tokyo Olympic Games is a heartbreaking situation and that the World Anti-Doping Agency’s rules concerning marijuana must change.”

However, the organization said it and WADA are “in very different positions of authority and we sometimes have different views when it comes to what substances are included, or not included, on the WADA Prohibited List and what consequences result from a Positive Test.”

“The anti-doping rules are legislated by WADA based on the consensus of Stakeholders worldwide. USADA does not make or have a direct vote on the anti-doping rules but, as a WADA Code Signatory, we are required to enforce them,” it said. “During the Stakeholder comment phase of the rule-making process, USADA has advocated for more flexible and fair rules to address the use of marijuana by athletes.”

“While those rules have indeed become more flexible and fair over time, USADA has argued for still more changes and will continue to advocate for changes going forward. Because USADA is required to enforce the rules as written, however, it has gone to great lengths to ensure that all athletes are informed through our education programs of the risk and potential consequences of a positive marijuana test during competition.”

This represents the most forceful comments the nation’s top governing body on international sports has made since new broke of Richardson’s suspension. It also reveals that USADA has been pushing for a change prior to the high-profile suspension.

It said that funding could be jeopardized if the U.S. were to let Richardson compete in violation of rules mandating a 30-day ban under the UNESCO Convention Against Doping in Sport.

“Ms. Richardson’s one-month suspension was the absolute minimum sanction that USADA was permitted to impose under the Code. Anything less would have resulted in USADA being non-compliant with the WADA code,” it said. “Continued non-compliance by USADA could result in serious consequences to U.S. Athletes (inability to participate in the Olympics, World Championships and other International Competitions) and the U.S. Government (loss of seats on the WADA Foundation Board and WADA Committees and more importantly the international embarrassment to U.S. athletes that USADA’s noncompliance would cause under the UNESCO Convention and otherwise).”

“Given that Ms. Richardson voluntarily accepted the outcome, there is no longer any legal process to challenge it or to reverse it. Further, any decision by USADA to attempt to reverse Ms. Richardson’s one-month suspension would be futile. WADA, World Athletics or the IOC would have quickly appealed such a decision and may have resulted in a lengthier suspension for Ms. Richardson.”

The response letter also acknowledged that the origin of the marijuana ban was largely influenced by the U.S. government in the 1990s—something the first president of WADA touched on in a recent interview with Marijuana Moment.

And while advocates have strongly opposed the penalty against Richardson, USADA said that questions still remain as to whether marijuana should be considered a performance enhancing drug, as it “has also been reported in scientific literature and anecdotally by athletes that marijuana can decrease anxiety, fear, depression and tension thereby allowing athletes to better perform under pressure and alleviating stress experienced immediately before and during competition.”

Even so, “USADA has consistently put forward recommendations that the rules addressing cannabis and cannabinoids should be more flexible and fair,” the letter says. And while some reforms have been enacted to lessen the severity of punishments for athletes who test positive for marijuana, USADA would “go still further in mitigating the harsh consequences of a positive marijuana case in a situation like Ms. Richardson’s.”

The organization noted that USADA amended its marijuana policy for domestic professional fighting that’s not subject to WADA rules. On that note, Nevada sports regulators voted on Wednesday to make it so athletes will no longer be penalized over a positive marijuana test, with members citing Richardson’s case during the meeting as an example of why the policy is inappropriate.

“Simply put, USADA will continue to be very active in its efforts to change how marijuana is addressed under the WADA Code and Prohibited List,” the new letter states. “Given USADA’s inability to unilaterally change the rules governing marijuana in sport, USADA has gone to great lengths to ensure that all athletes are informed of the risks and potential consequences of a positive marijuana test during a competition.”

The letter concludes with a section titled “The way forward.”

USADA wrote that “President Joe Biden described the way forward best when he said” that the “rules are rules,” but those regulations may need to be reevaluated and he’s proud of Richardson for how she responded to the situation.

“So is USADA,” the group said. “USADA will continue to advocate for rule changes which would better address tragic situations like Ms. Richardson’s.”

Richardson’s suspension for using marijuana in a legal state after learning news of her mother’s death has elicited widespread calls for reform in the governing bodies of the Olympics.

On Wednesday, the White House press secretary—like USADA—expressed sympathy for the runner and indicated that it may be time for a reevaluation of the marijuana prohibition.

Press Secretary Jen Psaki previously declined to condemn Olympics officials’ sanction on Richardson when asked about the issue at a briefing with reporters last week, but she told CNN in the newer comments that the case highlights the need to “take another look” at the rules on cannabis, especially in light of the decision to bar the athlete from a second event that fell outside the scope of the 30-day suspension

USA Track & Field also said this week that international policy on cannabis punishments for athletes “should be reevaluated.”

A bipartisan collection of members of Congress slammed Richardson’s punishment last week, with Ocasio-Cortz and Raskin sending the scathing letter to USADA and WADA on behalf of key House subcommittee they respectively co-chair and chair, urging the bodies to ”strike a blow for civil liberties and civil rights by reversing this course you are on.”

A separate group of lawmakers also sent a letter to USADA on Friday to urge a policy change.

“We believe that cannabis does not meet the description of scientifically proven risk or harm to the athlete,” those 18 lawmakers wrote, “and the USADA is perpetuating stereotypes and rhetoric fueled by the racist War on Drugs by claiming its usage, in private use and outside of competition, violates the ‘spirit of the sport.’”

Advocates have broadly embraced internal marijuana policy reforms at other major professional athletic organizations, arguing that they are long overdue especially given the ever-expanding legalization movement.

NFL’s drug testing policy changed demonstrably last year as part of a collective bargaining agreement, for example. Under the policy, NFL players will not face the possibility of being suspended from games over positive tests for any drug—not just marijuana.

In a similar vein, the MLB decided in 2019 to remove cannabis from the league’s list of banned substances. Baseball players can consume marijuana without risk of discipline, but officials clarified last year that they can’t work while under the influence and can’t enter into sponsorship contracts with cannabis businesses, at least for the time being.

Meanwhile, a temporary NBA policy not to randomly drug test players for marijuana amid the coronavirus pandemic may soon become permanent, the league’s top official said in December. Rather than mandate blanket tests, Commissioner Adam Silver said the league would be reaching out to players who show signs of problematic dependency, not those who are “using marijuana casually.”

For what it’s worth, a new poll from YouGov found that women are notably more likely to oppose Richardson’s suspension than men are.

How U.S. Bullying In The 1990s Led To The Olympics Marijuana Ban Behind Richardson’s Suspension

The suspension of U.S. runner Sha’Carri Richardson over a positive marijuana test has led many to call for changes to Olympics rules—with even President Joe Biden, top White House officials and American sports regulators saying it might be time to reconsider punishing athletes for cannabis.

But how did the sports prohibition get imposed in the first place? Marijuana Moment spoke to the first president of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) to gain further insights into how the policy unfolded, which turns out to be the result of pressure from the U.S. itself.

Some of those who’ve defended the action against Richardson have made the case that, since cannabis is strictly prohibited in other countries, it wouldn’t make sense to set aside an international rule just because legalization is advancing in the U.S. But in reality, it was the U.S. in the 1990s that played the leading role in bullying the athletic governing body to add cannabis to the list of banned substances for the Olympics in the first place.

For example, then-U.S. drug czar Barry McCaffrey, who served under President Bill Clinton, sent a 10-page memo to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in 1998 that said the games “must adopt a comprehensive anti-drug program” that should include punishing participants who test positive for recreational drugs like marijuana, according to an Associated Press report at the time.

“We raise Olympic athletes up on international pedestals for all the world’s children to look up to as role models—it is vital that the message they send is drug free,″ McCaffrey, then the head of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), which provided $1 million in funding to IOC to combat drug use, said. “The goal of this whole effort must be to prevent Olympic medals and the Olympic movement from being tarnished by drugs.″

In this way, the U.S.’s aggressive push to criminalize drugs at home translated into policy positions on the world athletics stage. And the Clinton administration prided itself on influencing IOC to enact the change, touting its efforts in a 2000 ONDCP report on “Agency Accomplishments and Significant Actions.”

Following news that a Canadian snowboarder who won a gold medal tested positive for marijuana, ONDCP “become seriously concerned about the impact of this victory on youth attitudes toward drugs,” the report from the drug czar’s office said.

The medal “seemed to directly undercut our messages to young people that drug use undermines a child’s opportunities for success,” it continued. “ONDCP began a wave of efforts to get the IOC to ban marijuana from the games. In short course, these efforts were successful and the IOC banned marijuana.”

Richard Pound, who served as the first president of WADA, spoke to Marijuana Moment about the origins of the cannabis ban and said that the U.S. was “really quite adamant that [cannabis] was on the list” of prohibited substances.

“The U.S. was a leader in saying—and this was the ONDCP saying this—’in our view, marijuana is the entry-level drug. If you can keep people from using marijuana, they don’t graduate to cocaine and heroin and some of the other the other chemical variations of these things.'”

Pound, who represented Canada as a swimmer in the Olympics and then served as vice president of IOC before leading WADA, said he initially had a strained relationship with McCaffrey, as ONDCP had taken a position that “basically nothing we did or wanted or proposed was was any good.”

But after requesting a meeting at the White House to go over shared principles and policies, the official said “well, it doesn’t sound like we have any significant differences at all,” according to Pound, and the relationship became productive.

Pound told Marijuana Moment that he feels the international committee that decides on substance bans should take another look at cannabis and he personally believes the policy could be amended to make a positive THC test punishable by a warning without the threat of suspension. He’s perplexed that Team USA decided to penalize Richardson beyond the internationally prescribed 30-day ban by choosing not to let her run in a relay that falls outside of that window.

“I would have thought, on the face of things, it would make sense to try and have your best team in the field,” he said. In a recent interview with The Washington Post, he also said that he felt the WADA drug code would soon be amended in to exclude marijuana from the banned substances list.

For what it’s worth, McCaffrey told Politico that he doesn’t recall pushing for the cannabis ban specifically and was more focused on performance enhancing drugs like steroids. And Pound said he couldn’t recall any specific conversation he had with the then-ONDCP director on marijuana policy.

“Whether it had a full buy-in from Barry or not, I can’t recall discussing it,” Pound said. “But that was certainly the the view of the United States. Whether it was a ditch that he was prepared to die in or not, I don’t know. But it certainly was a U.S. position.”

He added that while the U.S. had an outsized influence on these types of matters, the desire to add cannabis to the list of banned substances was “shared by many, many, many other countries.”

In any case, Richardson’s suspension for using marijuana in a legal state after learning news of her mother’s death has elicited widespread calls for reform in the governing bodies of the Olympics.

On Wednesday, the White House press secretary and the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) both expressed sympathy for the runner and indicated that it may be time for a reevaluation of the marijuana prohibition.

Press Secretary Jen Psaki previously declined to condemn Olympics officials’ sanction on Richardson when asked about the issue at a briefing with reporters last week, but she told CNN in the newer comments that the case highlights the need to “take another look” at the rules on cannabis, especially in light of the decision to bar the athlete from a second event that fell outside the scope of the 30-day suspension

USA Track & Field also said this week that international policy on cannabis punishments for athletes “should be reevaluated.”

Biden said on Saturday that while “rules are rules,” he also suggested that there’s an open question about whether “they should remain the rules.” And that’s notable for a president who has maintained an opposition to adult-use legalization.

A bipartisan collection of members of Congress slammed Richardson’s punishment last week, with leaders of a key House subcommittee sending a scathing letter to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency and the Anti-Doping Agency, urging the bodies to ”strike a blow for civil liberties and civil rights by reversing this course you are on.”

A separate group of lawmakers also sent a letter to USADA on Friday to urge a policy change.

“We believe that cannabis does not meet the description of scientifically proven risk or harm to the athlete,” they wrote, “and the USADA is perpetuating stereotypes and rhetoric fueled by the racist War on Drugs by claiming its usage, in private use and outside of competition, violates the ‘spirit of the sport.’”

Meanwhile, Nevada sports regulators voted on Wednesday to make it so athletes will no longer be penalized over a positive marijuana test, with members citing Richardson’s case during the meeting as an example of why the policy is inappropriate.

Advocates have broadly embraced internal marijuana policy reforms at other major professional athletic organizations, arguing that they are long overdue especially given the ever-expanding legalization movement.

NFL’s drug testing policy changed demonstrably last year as part of a collective bargaining agreement, for example. Under the policy, NFL players will not face the possibility of being suspended from games over positive tests for any drug—not just marijuana.

In a similar vein, the MLB decided in 2019 to remove cannabis from the league’s list of banned substances. Baseball players can consume marijuana without risk of discipline, but officials clarified last year that they can’t work while under the influence and can’t enter into sponsorship contracts with cannabis businesses, at least for the time being.

Meanwhile, a temporary NBA policy not to randomly drug test players for marijuana amid the coronavirus pandemic may soon become permanent, the league’s top official said in December. Rather than mandate blanket tests, Commissioner Adam Silver said the league would be reaching out to players who show signs of problematic dependency, not those who are “using marijuana casually.”

For what it’s worth, a new poll from YouGov found that women are notably more likely to oppose Richardson’s suspension than men are.

World Anti-Doping Agency Says U.S. Bears Responsibility For Marijuana Ban That Led To Richardson’s Suspension

The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) is making clear that the U.S. has played a key role in placing marijuana on the list of prohibited substances for international athletes—and it still has a seat at the table if it wants a policy change.

In a letter to Reps. Jamie Raskin (D-MD) and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY)—who recently reached out to WADA about the suspension of U.S. runner Sha’Carri Richardsonover a positive cannabis test—the global organization provided background on why marijuana was included in the banned substances list in the first place and explained why it couldn’t unilaterally reverse the punishment.

While WADA consistently reviews and updates the prohibited drug list, it said that decisions are made based on consensus among representatives of participating governments. It stressed that “no time since the first Prohibited List was published in 2004 has WADA received any objection from U.S. stakeholders concerning the inclusion of cannabinoids on the Prohibited List.”

“On the contrary, as has been reported by some media, the U.S. has been one of the most vocal and strong advocates for including cannabinoids on the Prohibited List,” the letter from Witold Banka, WADA’s president, said. “The meeting minutes and written submissions received from the U.S. over nearly two decades, in particular from [the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency], have consistently advocated for cannabinoids to be included on the Prohibited List.”

That point was also made by the first president of WADA, Richard Pound, in a recent interview with Marijuana Moment.

“The U.S. was a leader in saying—and this was the [Office of National Drug Control Policy] saying this—’in our view, marijuana is the entry-level drug. If you can keep people from using marijuana, they don’t graduate to cocaine and heroin and some of the other the other chemical variations of these things,’” he said.

In the new letter, WADA wrote that “the argument that some have advanced indicating that U.S. anti-doping stakeholders are bound by antiquated thinking regarding the Prohibited List is not supported by the facts.”

“The consultative process in place allows for modifications to the Prohibited List and the Code, annually,” it continued. “In fact, over time, as your letter recognizes, several such changes have occurred, and there is nothing preventing additional changes consistent with the process I have described.”

Part of the consultative process is based on recommendations from WADA’s Prohibited List Expert Advisory Group. The letter emphasizes that the U.S. is overrepresented on that body, with three of its 12 seats—”including an official with more than two decades experience at the U.S. National Institutes of Health.” The country also “has had greater representation” on WADA’s separate Health, Medical and Research (HMR) Committee “than any other nation.”

“While the United States does not currently serve on WADA’s Executive Committee, it has represented its 42-nation region more than any other nation in WADA’s history (seven years),” it continues. “An important fact for the U.S. Congress to know about this process is that there are more representatives from the United States advising WADA on these scientific issues than from any other nation in the world. These decisions are not reached in a vacuum.”

In other words, criticism from Americans over the marijuana ban should not solely target WADA but should take into account the fact that the U.S. itself bears significant responsibility for setting and maintaining the global prohibition.

The letter further states that while WADA sympathizes “with the circumstances of this case” and applauds “Ms. Richardson’s accountability for accepting that the rules are in place for athletes worldwide, WADA simply plays a coordinating role in the development and publication of the Prohibited List.”

“As you correctly noted in your letter, the testing of Ms. Richardson and her resulting suspension were administered and adjudicated by USADA. WADA is not a party to that particular matter and, therefore, simply is not in position to vacate the results of Ms. Richardson’s test in Oregon, the 30-day suspension imposed by USADA, nor the decisions of USA Track and Field regarding her participation at the Tokyo Olympics.”

Separately, The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) also responded to the letter from Raskin and Ocasio-Cortez last week. It asserted that the rules on marijuana for international athletes “must change.”

USADA had previously expressed sympathy last week for Richardson and indicated that it may be time for a reevaluation of the marijuana prohibition—but the latest statement explicitly calls for a policy change.

Meanwhile, the White House ONDCP is also working to secure a meeting with WADA about cannabis policies on the international sports stage. The Financial Times reported on Friday that the Biden administration intends to discuss issues “including the timeframe for testing, and the basis for the consideration of cannabis as a performance enhancing drug.”

While WADA indicated that the U.S. has not strongly protested marijuana’s inclusion on the banned substances list and has historically advocated for such inclusion, USADA said in its letter that it “has argued for still more changes and will continue to advocate for changes going forward.”

Banka said in his new response on behalf of WADA that he was forwarding the congressional letter to various internal WADA decision-making committees and has “requested that your concerns be specifically examined during their ongoing review of the
Prohibited List.”

The organization noted that USADA amended its marijuana policy for domestic professional fighting that’s not subject to WADA rules. On that note, Nevada sports regulators voted last week to make it so athletes will no longer be penalized over a positive marijuana test, with members citing Richardson’s case during the meeting as an example of why the policy is inappropriate.

USADA wrote that “President Joe Biden described the way forward best when he said” that the “rules are rules,” but those regulations may need to be reevaluated and he’s proud of Richardson for how she responded to the situation.

Also last week, the White House press secretary—like USADA—expressed sympathy for the runner and indicated that it may be time for a reevaluation of the marijuana prohibition.

Press Secretary Jen Psaki previously declined to condemn Olympics officials’ sanction on Richardson when asked about the issue at a briefing with reporters earlier this month, but she told CNN in the newer comments that the case highlights the need to “take another look” at the rules on cannabis, especially in light of the decision to bar the athlete from a second event that fell outside the scope of the 30-day suspension.

USA Track & Field also said last week that international policy on cannabis punishments for athletes “should be reevaluated.”

Following Ocasio-Cortz and Raskin’s letter, a separate group of lawmakers also sent a letter to USADA on Friday to urge a policy change.

“We believe that cannabis does not meet the description of scientifically proven risk or harm to the athlete,” those 18 lawmakers wrote, “and the USADA is perpetuating stereotypes and rhetoric fueled by the racist War on Drugs by claiming its usage, in private use and outside of competition, violates the ‘spirit of the sport.’”

Read the new statement from WADA on Richardson’s marijuana-related suspension by following title link and scrolling to the bottom of the article,.

Congressional Lawmakers Advance Marijuana Protections For Medical Programs And Universities In New Spending Bills

Congressional lawmakers have again included protections for states with medical marijuana programs—as well as several other cannabis-related provisions—in new spending legislation for Fiscal Year 2022.

But while advocates are encouraged by the inclusion of the marijuana riders, which also includes language to prevent the penalization of universities that conduct cannabis research, they’re holding out hope that a broader provision is added later in the process to keep the Department of Justice from using its funds to interfere in the implementation of any state-level legalization law—including those that allow recreational use.

There are two key House Appropriations bills that include language on marijuana issues that were approved in subcommittee on Monday, and the full panel is set to take those measures up on Thursday.

The most consequential measure, which has been added to spending legislation and enacted in federal law going back to 2014, would prevent the Justice Department from using tax dollars to intervene in the implementation of medical cannabis programs in states:

“SEC. 531. None of the funds made available under this Act to the Department of Justice may be used, with respect to any of the States of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming, or with respect to the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the United States Virgin Islands, Guam, or Puerto Rico, to prevent any of them from implementing their own laws that authorize the use, distribution, possession, or cultivation of medical marijuana.”

It remains to be seen whether lawmakers will push for an additional amendment in the full committee or on the floor to protect adult-use marijuana programs as well, as the House approved in 2019 and 2020. The provision was not attached to final bills sent to then-President Donald Trump’s desk, however, after they were not included in Senate versions that advanced when the chamber under Republican control.

Another longstanding provision again included in the latest Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies (CJS) spending legislation would bar DOJ or its component Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) from interfering in state-legal hemp programs. Here’s the text:

“SEC. 530. None of the funds made available by this Act may be used in contravention of section 7606 (“Legitimacy of Industrial Hemp Research”) of the Agricultural Act of 2014 (Public Law 113–79) by the Department of Justice or the Drug Enforcement Administration.”

A new provision was also attached to the bill that would make states and localities ineligible for certain federal law enforcement grants if they maintain a policy allowing for no-knock warrants for drug-related cases. That policy garnered national attention following the police killing of Breonna Taylor, who was fatally shot by law enforcement during a botched drug raid.

“SEC. 219. None of the funds made available by this Act under paragraph (1) under the heading “State and Local Justice Assistance”, or under the heading “Community Oriented Policing Services”, may be awarded to a State or unit of local government unless the Attorney General of the United States certifies that the State or unit of local government—

(6) has in effect a law that prohibits the issuance of a “no-knock warrant” in a drug case, consistent with the requirements as described in section 362 of H.R. 1280 of the 117th Congress as passed by the House of Representatives on March 3, 2021.”

Over in the House Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies Appropriations Subcommittee, members put language in their spending bill that prohibits the Department of Education from denying funds to colleges that carry out—or plan to carry out—research into cannabis. Here’s the text:

“SEC. 316. None of the funds appropriated by this title for the Department of Education shall be withheld from an institution of higher education solely because that institution is conducting or preparing to conduct research on marihuana as defined in 21 U.S.C. 802(16).”

But advocates are disappointed to see that another rider dating back to the 1990s was included again that broadly prevents agencies from promoting the legalization of Schedule I substances like marijuana. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) attempted to get that language deleted in 2019 by arguing that it impedes research on psychedelics, but Democrats joined Republicans in rejecting her floor amendment. The proposed text for 2022 states:

“SEC. 507. (a) None of the funds made available in this Act may be used for any activity that promotes the legalization of any drug or other substance included in schedule I of the schedules of controlled substances established under section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act except for normal and recognized executive-congressional communications.

(b) The limitation in subsection (a) shall not apply when there is significant medical evidence of a therapeutic advantage to the use of such drug or other substance or that federally sponsored clinical trials are being conducted to determine therapeutic advantage.”

In a press release, the committee also touted the fact that the bill “removes a longstanding general provision that prohibited federal funds from being used to purchase syringes as part of a public health campaign to provide services to individuals involved in injection drug use.”

That’s a significant development as far as harm reduction advocates are concerned. And on a related noted, the governor of Rhode Island signed a bill last week to establish a safe consumption site pilot program where people could test and use currently illicit drugs in a medically supervised environment. It’s the first state in the country to legalize the harm reduction centers.

The marijuana and drug policy provisions in the new spending bills are just the latest examples of how lawmakers are using the annual appropriations process to advance reform.

A House subcommittee and then the full Appropriations Committee approved a large-scale funding bill last month that includes provisions protecting banks from being punished for working with marijuana businesses and allowing Washington, D.C. to legalize cannabis sales.

The move by congressional Democrats to let the District of Columbia set its own marijuana policies is in contrast with a budget released last month by President Joe Biden, which proposed continuing the longstanding Republican-led rider that has prevented the city from spending its own money to regulate adult-use cannabis commerce.

The banking-related provision is less far-reaching than more robust standalone bills the House has passed on four occasions, but would still provide some protections to banks that work with state-legal marijuana operators.

Both measures are attached to the Financial Services and General Government bill for Fiscal Year 2022. The corresponding committee report also urges federal agencies to reconsider policies that result in the firing of employees who use marijuana legally in accordance with state law.

In a separate spending bill that allocates annual funding for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), there’s also a provision that would protect immigrants from have their status penalized simply because they’ve admitted to using cannabis or were convicted of a low-level marijuana offense.

Standalone legislation has been introduced this session to resolve the problem, but it has yet to be acted on.

The Appropriations Committee also approved a bill that includes a report acknowledging that the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has clarified that military veterans are eligible for home loan benefits even if they work in a state-legal marijuana industry. However, it expresses disappointment that VA hasn’t taken further action to communicate this policy to lenders and borrowers.

The new report directs VA to improve that communication and report back to Congress on its progress within 180 days of the enactment of the legislation. A separate provision urges VA to expand research on the medical benefits of cannabis for veterans.

Separately, there are a host of provisions on hemp and its derivatives like CBD in another spending bill and attached report that covers funding for the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

In the report, lawmakers took issue with the 2018 Farm Bill’s 0.3 percent THC cap for lawful hemp products and directed USDA to work with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and DEA on a study of whether that threshold is scientifically backed.

The Appropriations Committee also approved a report last month voicing support for federal law enforcement efforts to deploy drones in California to find illicit marijuana grow sites on public lands. However, it said that support is contingent on resolving issues related to cybersecurity and domestic production.

The Biden administration, for its part, is being closely watched by advocates when it comes to any marijuana policy development—especially since the president has maintained an opposition to adult-use legalization even as multiple bills to end federal prohibition are being drafted and introduced.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Biden’s budget did not propose gutting the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) as Trump did. The former president called for a roughly 90 percent cut in the agency’s budget in his proposals, but Congress did not follow suit. Biden helped to establish the drug czar’s office during his time in the Senate.

Biden’s budget also includes $17 million in funding to support industrial hemp production.

Schumer To Unveil Federal Marijuana Legalization Bill On Wednesday

The leader of the U.S. Senate and colleagues will be releasing a discussion draft of a long-awaited bill to federally legalize cannabis on Wednesday, Marijuana Moment has learned.

Two sources who were briefed on the plans said that Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Senate Finance Committee Chairman Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ) will hold a press conference Wednesday to unveil a preliminary version of what’s being titled the Cannabis Administration and Opportunity Act.

Details of the proposal’s provisions are not yet available, but the purpose of the draft being released is to spark conversation to inform what will be a formal introduction of the bill at a later date. Advocates have been anxiously anticipating the legislation, which Schumer has repeatedly said was coming “soon” after he, Wyden and Booker first pledged in February that it would be ready “in the early part of this year.”

Since then, the majority leader has been making the case for reform everywhere from the Senate floor on 4/20 to a cannabis rally in New York City.

Beyond ending prohibition, Schumer said the proposal he and his colleagues are working on will “ensure restorative justice, public health and implement responsible taxes and regulations,” similar to what New York lawmakers sought to accomplish in a legalization bill that the governor signed into law this year.

The three senators formally started their efforts on the legalization bill by holding a meeting earlier this year with representatives from a variety of advocacy groups to gain feedback on the best approach to the reform.

Schumer made a point in March to say that it will specifically seek to restrict the ability of large alcohol and tobacco companies to overtake the industry. Instead, it will prioritize small businesses, particularly those owned by people from communities most impacted by prohibition, and focus on “justice, justice, justice—as well as freedom,” he said.

He also urged voters to reach out to their congressional representatives and tell them that “this is long overdue.”

Meanwhile, a House bill to federally legalize marijuana and promote social equity in the industry was reintroduced in May.

The legislation, sponsored by Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), was filed with a number of changes compared to the version that was approved by the chamber last year.

The Marijuana Opportunity, Reinvestment and Expungement (MORE) Act passed the House but did not advance in the Senate under GOP control. But this time around, advocates are optimistic that the policy change could be enacted now that Democrats run both chambers and the White House, and as more states are moving to enact legalization.

President Joe Biden, however, is an outlier within the Democratic Party, maintaining an opposition to adult-use legalization despite the widespread and increasingly bipartisan public popularity of the reform. It remains to be seen whether the president—who campaigned on more modest pledges to decriminalize cannabis possession, expunge prior records and respect state legalization laws—would stand in the way of a comprehensive policy change by threatening to veto the bill that’s ultimately produced.

Wyden, who under the chamber’s new Democratic majority assumed the top spot on the Senate Finance Committee—where the new legislation is likely to be referred once formally introduced—recently said his goal will be to “end the prohibition and come up with sensible tax and regulatory oversight at the federal level.”

He said in February that “it’s not enough in my view to just end cannabis prohibition,” and “I think we need to restore the lives of people who’ve been hurt most by the failed war on drugs and especially black Americans.”

To accomplish that, he said reform legislation should include provisions to provide expungements for those with prior cannabis convictions, community reinvestment programs, job training and reentry services and “access to capital.”

“I’m strategizing now on the next steps,” he said at the time. “We need comprehensive reform, and you need legislation to do it.”

“Certainly the fact that millions of Americans have voted for at least some of what I just described means that we’re in a position to move at the federal level,” he added. “I do think that this kind of crazy quilt—particularly as it relates to regulation and the financial aspects, particularly nationwide consideration—you really need some kind of bedrock federal rules on, one, ending the prohibition; two, sensible tax policies; and three, sensible regulatory oversight.”

All three senators—Schumer, Wyden and Booker—have in past years introduced marijuana legalization bills that never got hearings or votes.

Separately, a proposal to federally deschedule marijuana that does not include social equity components was recently filed by a pair of Republican congressmen.

USADA said that questions still remain as to whether marijuana should be considered a performance enhancing drug
Oh yeah, right....not an Olympic sport haha

1626188060950.png

This guy is in training for when they lift the MJ in sports bans.
1626188239297.png

But this guy would be a true Olympic champion if not for MJ being a "performance enhancing drug" LOL

1626188314817.png

Folks we need to grab hold of the regulation and keep the bad actors out completely
Corporations have to be knee capped and given two in the back of the head
They will turn everything to crap
Sorry for the graphic reference but there is too much money involved and we have to get a lobby movement together to counter the one they will assemble

Cannabis by Coca Cola
KMN

Folks we need to grab hold of the regulation and keep the bad actors out completely
Corporations have to be knee capped and given two in the back of the head
They will turn everything to crap
Sorry for the graphic reference but there is too much money involved and we have to get a lobby movement together to counter the one they will assemble

Cannabis by Coca Cola
KMN
Go for it. It takes folks like ourselves to show up during legislative season and lobby the legislature. Vote the idiots out of office. Actually get others to join you. That would mean letting others know that you support cannabis. Help to organize bills that would help out our favorite plant and those that want to produce it. I think getting big business out but they give big bucks to those in office. Then those lawmakers vote with big business.
Its easy to talk but we need need to get out and actually do something.

Vote the idiots out of office.
HI Carol - how dedicated are you on this particular subject as a certain very visible politician in office today was a driving force behind pushing sports anti-doping agencies to include MJ on the banned lists.

See what I'm saying.....

@Baron23 I live close to my capital luckily and over the years have gone into the legislature arena and helped to support for social services and cannabis related bills. We have referendums here thank goodness. The law goes slow and often it’s bumped to the next year, it’s very frustrating. Often the bill fizzles out and may not get to committee. I’ve taken off personal days from work or have gone in after work. To be honest it’s really hard to park my car far away and walk all the way in with arthritis on some days. If I do it again I will have to be dropped off and picked up if I hurt.

Before rec cannabis here in WA we lobbied to include cannabis medical dispensary owners with a previous business in good standing be able to be grandfathered in and get a lisence. That didn’t work out so much. Some did and some didn’t, it depended how quickly they got their paperwork in. Some were told they would be grandfathered in and that was false info. My favorite medical dispensary didn’t get a lisence.

I’ve also sent quite a few emails to lawmakers to continue to have a more of a medical cannabis industry rather than going all recreational. They went all recreational anyway but we tried. You don’t win them all, It comes down to money.

I would love for cannabis stores to deliver. I would also love cannabis lounges too. I know some folks are working on that.

Last edited:
Of course I want cannabis to be legal. I want folks records cleared of cannabis infractions. I worry about the feds slapping a very expensive tax on cannabis. The state taxes are already huge. The tax needs to be minimal. We know the states won’t remove high taxes. My problem is I’m always thinking about the “what if’s”. I just need to to happy about the present!

I hope this passes. It could pay for infrastructure!

@Baron23 I live close to my capital luckily and over the years have gone into the legislature arena and helped to support for social services and cannabis related bills. We have referendums here thank goodness. The law goes slow and often it’s bumped to the next year, it’s very frustrating. Often the bill fizzles out and may not get to committee. I’ve taken off personal days from work or have gone in after work. To be honest it’s really hard to park my car far away and walk all the way in with arthritis on some days. If I do it again I will have to be dropped off and picked up if I hurt.

Before rec cannabis here in WA we lobbied to include cannabis medical dispensary owners with a previous business in good standing be able to be grandfathered in and get a lisence. That didn’t work out so much. Some did and some didn’t, it depended how quickly they got their paperwork in. Some were told they would be grandfathered in and that was false info. My favorite medical dispensary didn’t get a lisence.

I’ve also sent quite a few emails to lawmakers to continue to have a more of a medical cannabis industry rather than going all recreational. They went all recreational anyway but we tried. You don’t win them all, It comes down to money.

I would love for cannabis stores to deliver. I would also love cannabis lounges too. I know some folks are working on that.
Hi Carol - yeah, I get all of that and its very admirable of you to be so active.

My point, however, went to your statement of

Vote the idiots out of office.
While at the same time I believe that one of the "idiots" who advocated for MJ to be included in sports anti-doping rules, mandatory sentences for drug crimes, and much else is sitting in the White House and is a politician who I think you support. That was the nature of my question as to commitment...because, it appears to perhaps represent a conundrum for you.

Please, no need to respond...I'm really not trying to put you on the spot...or at least no more than I already have! haha

It could pay for infrastructure!
Ah, which infrastructure would that be. Promise...no snark or push back from me. Not looking for an argument. Just curious as this word seems to have taken on all kinds of meanings, outside of the dictionary definitions, lately.

Cheers

Biden Remains Opposed To Marijuana Legalization, White House Says Minutes After Senators Unveil New Bill

Minutes after Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and colleagues unveiled a much-anticipated draft marijuana legalization bill on Wednesday, the White House press secretary reiterated that President Joe Biden remains opposed to the reform. However, she notably said the president would be “encouraged” by efforts to advance more incremental reform such as decriminalizing possession, as he pledged to do on the campaign trail.

“Nothing has changed, and there’s no new endorsements of legislation to report today,” Press Secretary Jen Psaki said at a briefing after being asked about the new draft legalization bill.

Advocates have been waiting eagerly for the release of the cannabis legalization bill that Schumer, Senate Finance Committee Chairman Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ) have been working on for months. That finally happened on Wednesday, but the press secretary’s comments signal that even if the measure advances through Congress, it may face opposition from the president.

She said in response to another question that Biden remains supportive of more incremental cannabis decriminalization and would be “encouraged by steps to implement that, but I have not spoken with him in recent days about marijuana or legislation on this.”

Beyond ending the decades-long prohibition on cannabis, the new legislation contains a litany of other provisions to promote social equity, facilitate research and repair the harms of criminalization. The three senators formally unveiled the 163-page bill at a press conference on Wednesday, though they’ve also opened a public comment period to solicit feedback until September 1 to finalize the language.

The remarks from the press secretary come as a disappointment to advocates, but they’re far from unexpected given that Biden has maintained an opposition to adult-use legalization despite its popularity among the public, and particularly among Democrats.

During his presidential campaign last year, he ran on a pledge to enact modest reforms such as decriminalizing cannabis possession, expunging prior records and respecting the rights of states to set their own laws. Since taking office, however, his administration has not made progress on any of those promises and has instead fired its own White House staffers over marijuana and sought to extend a budget provision that has blocked Washington, D.C. from legalizing cannabis sales.

He took some by surprise by suggesting that international sports rules on marijuana may need to be reevaluated after a star U.S. runner was suspended following a positive cannabis test. But that’s a far cry from endorsing comprehensive reform.

Psaki, for her part, initially declined to condemn Olympics officials’ sanction on Richardson when asked about the issue at an earlier briefing with reporters. But she told CNN last week that the case highlights the need to “take another look” at the rules on cannabis.

In April, the press secretary said that Biden’s campaign pledge to release federal inmates with marijuana convictions will start with modestly rescheduling cannabis—a proposal that advocates say wouldn’t actually accomplish what she’s suggesting.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back