Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy The Garden Thread

And theres me getting annoyed at the hedgehog shitting on my lawn...
Oh what id do for a big American garden...
(Not move to america)
Space in the UK is a premium...
I'm not rich enough...
I so desperatly wish I had room to grow food...

Im considering building a multi level structure to grow all my veg in, with the help of some lights and extraction.. like a mini high rise building...
I gotta be efficient with space...
More thinking needed..

Or a undergroung area... but that means digging my lawn up... hmm

Late to this party................ It may piss you off more, but hedgehogs are sold in the U.S. as pets.

With that fence you have a ton of options to grow vegetables. You can use something as simple as an old burlap bag, or go fancy and get smart pots.

https://smartpots.com/

You can do vertical gardening with posts and yarn or string. It's possible to grow melons this way if you fashion a sling to hold their weight.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/how-to/g847/how-to-start-a-vertical-garden/

http://www.hobbyfarms.com/trellising-fruits-and-vegetables-saves-garden-space/

Last edited:
Winter just doesn't want to break here.... the spring bulbs haven't even started blooming yet. So the only thing to do is bring the 'garden' inside....

I forced some forsythia branches. Think I might try magnolia next...

IMG_3912.jpg

And, of course.. had to get some cut flowers as well to brighten things up. :biggrin:

IMG_3911.jpg

Still not a whole lot going on outside in the garden. We had our first rush of Hellebores and wildflowers... but not much else has popped yet. So, as usual, I bring the 'garden' inside. :biggrin: Here's a couple of the arrangements that I made for a celebration of life this weekend....

IMG_4043.jpg
IMG_4045.jpg
IMG_4044.jpg

IMG_4052.JPG

Same here, it's a bit early. I did plant potatoes and beet seeds so far, and soon I'll get other seeds in. Too early to plant started plants in my area. And it's dry here, we need an all night rain.
So you must not have gotten the deluge of rain over the weekend? It was ark time around the Detroit area...

I've got pansies in. But that's about it. And they suffered tremendously this year with the sudden snow storm and the ice storm that followed (just after I planted them). They're looking a little punk.

There was a time you could plant by Mother's Day. I don't dare until after Memorial Day now. I would imagine it's the same for you.

Our garden is about done with the cool weather grow....
and we are getting it ready for "summer stock".
I thought I would show the remaining vegetation:
DSC05792.JPG
The Garden, almost empty.

DSC05793.JPG
First Garlic

DSC05794.JPG
Swiss Chard The closest one going to flower.

DSC05795.JPG
Kale (one also going to flower)

DSC05796.JPG
Beets that remain from the season average size like this following image from last season:
IMG_0622.JPG
(as big as my head!)

DSC05797.JPG
Spike Lavender (in need of de-grassing)

DSC05798.JPG
Oregano, gone to flower.

DSC05799.JPG
Italian Parsley at end of cycle, and gone to flower.

Still not a whole lot going on outside in the garden. We had our first rush of Hellebores and wildflowers... but not much else has popped yet. So, as usual, I bring the 'garden' inside. :biggrin: Here's a couple of the arrangements that I made for a celebration of life this weekend....

View attachment 3434 View attachment 3435 View attachment 3436
View attachment 3437
Beautiful arrangements, Mom. What's a celebration of life....not a funeral I hope??

Did I ever tell you that my paternal grandmother worked in my great uncle's downtown (Pittsburgh) flower shop that was on the ground floor of a building called the Jenkins Arcade (have no idea if it was still standing). As a small child, my mother would take us (me and my sister) into town to see my grandmother for lunch. The smell of a damp, active flower shop is like no other and is one of my most basic memories. Smell, especially from experiences when young, seem like the most vivid memories.

Whenever I go into a florist's shop, the smell immediately takes me back to being 6 or 7 years old. Just love it.

So you must not have gotten the deluge of rain over the weekend? It was ark time around the Detroit area...

I've got pansies in. But that's about it. And they suffered tremendously this year with the sudden snow storm and the ice storm that followed (just after I planted them). They're looking a little punk.

There was a time you could plant by Mother's Day. I don't dare until after Memorial Day now. I would imagine it's the same for you.

We got some rain but not much.

@Vitolo apparently our growing seasons are months apart. About 5-6 weeks ago we had 22 inches of snow, lol. Where I'm at , N. MI, growing season is typically around June 1- mid sept.

We finally have some flowers blooming in the garden! Wow it's been a tough winter this year. I've lost several bushes and trees to the deer and the extreme weather. And my ajuga (purple ground cover) has really thinned out. I'm not sure if the darn deer were sleeping on it, eating it or if the last snowfall did a number on it. But it's not as lush as in the past.

IMG_4103.jpg
IMG_4099.jpg
IMG_4098.jpg
IMG_4096.jpg
IMG_4092.jpg
IMG_4094.jpg
IMG_4089.jpg
IMG_4088.jpg
IMG_4101.jpg

And a couple things about to pop... I'm hoping I don't miss the peonies blooming since I'm gone for a week.

IMG_4104.jpg
IMG_4106.jpg

It hasnt rained here in ages.. and its not due to for the forseeable weeks coming....
And they are asking us to conserve water...

But iv been using my sprinkler through the night...
Shhhhh...

This is the time of year I usually have to go to a greenhouse and take in the warm air, smells and colors to get through the winter lol. The thing I've found that helps my winter gardening doldrums is having flowers in the house. I've posted before about my orchids and they are doing really well this year. When I remodeled my kitchen, I bumped out the kitchen window about a foot and made a sort of 'bay' window for them. Well.. they love it!

And there is NOTHING an orchid grower loves more than to see one of these sprout up... :biggrin:

IMG_5368.JPG

IMG_5372.JPG
IMG_5371.JPG

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back