Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy The Garden Thread

Two newcomers to the group...... I couldn't help myself lol..

IMG_5395.JPG
IMG_5396.JPG

It got warm enough to do a little clean up in the yard yesterday. Emptied my urns of all the winter pine in preparation for pansies in a couple weeks. And took a walk around my yard... and lo and behold!!! :aaaaa:

IMG_5458.JPG
IMG_5467.JPG

I get so geeked seeing the first buds and flowers of Spring. I've got to plant some more early bloomers this fall; Snowdrops, Siberian Squill and more Crocus. And maybe a few more Hellebores.... and...... :biggrin:

I get so geeked seeing the first buds and flowers of Spring. I've got to plant some more early bloomers this fall; Snowdrops, Siberian Squill and more Crocus. And maybe a few more Hellebores.... and...... :biggrin:
AHHHHGGGG!!! Me too! I am absolutely rejuvenated when I see the first crocus blades emerge. Alas, I'm still about 3 weeks out.
vxdqnq.jpg

But soon, very soon, in a few short weeks, it will look like this.
mvmgzn.jpg

Mom, you're making me mental!!! Even with our warm temps there's still snow covering about 50% of the ground. Hopefully in few more days it will be gone and the bulbs will burst up through the ground!!!

Can't wait... :tongue: Can't wait... :smile: Can't wait!!! :nut:

Love this thread, I don't think I've been here before. Great shots by all of you. I'll add that a florist shop, is an amazing scent.
We have been taken over, by iguanas, where I live. They will eat almost everything, flowers gone. They killed a flowering papaya,
recently. We presently have 2 pineapples, that have fruit. They leave them alone. Our mangoes are beautiful, and have fruit. Somehow,
Hurricane Irma put some tomato plants in our yard, and they have produced some beautiful little tomatoes. We planted star fruit after the storm,
and they produce like crazy- iguanas left them alone! Key limes are dropping like crazy, going to bake a Key Lime Pie, for hubby ( me too! ).
I'd post pictures but, I've yet to really understand what I am doing. someday. Hopefully, we'll have grass again ( storm ).

Ok, you have all shamed me into getting over to the garden center. We picked up some strawberry starts for the strawberry pot we were gifted, a few flats of annuals, some tomato and pepper plants. I've got seeds started for the herb garden, vegetable garden. We're waiting for a wood chip delivery, and are behind on mulching, but it really is Spring. I missed it entirely last year, so I'm pretty thrilled to see the tulips and iris all back. The poppies, nasturtiums and sweetpeas are fighting it out for dominance out front, and it's a daily fight to get rid of Morning Glories. My fault, entirely. I was told they were an annual. Monday we go pick up clones.

I worked outside today and walked around surveying the property. The areas where the crocus are planted are still under a good amount of snow and ice so they'll be late coming up this year. I cleared most of the fallen branches from freezing rain build up we had on the trees through the winter. I did find some daffodils poking through the dirt and the evergreen perennials are starting to look less ragged. Give it a week and I'll be out there in earnest cleaning out the beds and planting once again.

I can't wait to get my hands into the dirt again!!

Well... in true form it's going to snow tonight. I checked the forecast every day for a week before planting my pansies. No snow in sight until I got them into the ground lol..... Fortunately I think it will melt before doing any damage. Pansies are pretty resilient. And my magnolias haven't lost that fuzzy shell yet so they'll be safe as well.

Did a little tour around the yard. Not much to see yet but I was really happy to see my Hellebores are coming up!

IMG_5511.JPG

Prickly Pear Cactus, that helps us with privacy in the front of our house:
1zoce2b.jpg

Prickly Pear fruit buds all over the cactus... the red on top means they are ready to flower.

14mgwvp.jpg

A couple of blossoms.... We will have close to 100 Prickly Pear Fruits when the Flowers wither and die.
2ljomu1.jpg

Did a small tour of the back yard before it started raining this afternoon. I wanted to get some Rosetone down on my poor roses. They really took a beating this winter.

But there are a few things blooming...

Forget Me Nots:

IMG_5606.JPG

Violets:

IMG_5607.JPG

I was so excited. I found two Jack In the Pulpits growing in two separate areas. I have no idea how they got back there.

IMG_5605.JPG

Bleeding Hearts are in full bloom:

IMG_5604.JPG

And I picked the first of the rhubarb:

IMG_5611.JPG

Beautiful garden! Summer is definitely on it's way! Whatever are you going to make with that rhubarb?!?!?! I think that rhubarb is my all-time favorite.
Rhubarb Buckle?
Rhubarb Crisp?
Rhubarb Grunt?
Rhubarb Pie?
Rhubarb Jam?
Rhubarb Coffee Cake?
Rhubarb Cake?
Rhubarb Cheesecake?
Rhubarb topped Panna Cotta?
Rhubarb eaten raw dipped in sugar?

How delightful to be able to grow violets! And bleeding heart outdoors! I'm not sure about rhubarb. I've never had it, so I'm suspicious...but if @Squiby says it's o.k, I'd try it.

Rhubarb looks suspicious
Though I hear it's quite nutritious
It looks to me
Like red celery
But @Squiby says it's delicious

Did a small tour of the back yard before it started raining this afternoon. I wanted to get some Rosetone down on my poor roses. They really took a beating this winter.

But there are a few things blooming...

Bleeding Hearts are in full bloom:

View attachment 9181

And I picked the first of the rhubarb:

View attachment 9182

Hmm. My Bleeding Hearts haven't done too much the past two years. I wonder if I should them? They get the western sun in the afternoon. The foliage looks good good but the flowering is not like yours. Well done!

Beautiful garden! Summer is definitely on it's way! Whatever are you going to make with that rhubarb?!?!?! I think that rhubarb is my all-time favorite.

Rhubarb Grunt?

Rhubarb topped Panna Cotta?

Rhubarb Grunt? I think @Squiby is over medicated and making shit up. :biggrin:

Rhubarb Panna Cotta?!!! :drooling::drooling::drooling::drooling::drooling::drooling::drooling::drooling::drooling::drooling::drooling::drooling: You're killin' me squibs. That sounds delicious.

Whatever are you going to make with that rhubarb?!?!?! I think that rhubarb is my all-time favorite.
Rhubarb Buckle?
I've had this recipe on file for a few weeks now and am dying to try it. Unfortunately, there's only about 2 cups of rhubarb there so I froze it until the next batch is ready. Then it' on!!!

I love rhubarb as well. I remember a pudding that my mom used to make with it that had a custard cream over it... to die for. I need to see if I can find a recipe for it. I'm sure it's some traditional Danish dish.

Rhubarb looks suspicious
Though I hear it's quite nutritious
It looks to me
Like red celery
But @Squiby says it's delicious
Fabulous... :lol:

While you'd think it was in the celery family it's actually not. However it is a vegetable and is quite bitter on it's own. Most recipes call for it cooked with a lot of sugar lol.

Hmm. My Bleeding Hearts haven't done too much the past two years. I wonder if I should them? They get the western sun in the afternoon. The foliage looks good good but the flowering is not like yours. Well done!
Mine get the same sun exposure as yours. How old are yours? I had some up north that were incredible for years... and then one year they were just gone. But, it had reseeded across the sidewalk so now I have a new one.

Can you get Milorganite where you live? I swear by it as a deer deterrent and fertilizer. It's safe to broadcast by hand and smells a bit... but works like a charm. If you can find it, try it on those bleeding hearts and you might get some serious flowers next year.

I'm not sure about rhubarb. I've never had it, so I'm suspicious...but if @Squiby says it's o.k, I'd try it.
Rhubarb is delicious!! You haven't lived till you've tried it. As kids, we would go out to the garden and snap off a stall and dip the end into sugar and munch it down. Spring brings all kinds of Rhubarb creations.

I remember a pudding that my mom used to make with it that had a custard cream over it... to die for. I need to see if I can find a recipe for it. I'm sure it's some traditional Danish dish.
My all time favourite Rhubarb pie is a baked custard and Rhubarb pie with a crumb topping. Absolutely delicious!!!

Rhubarb Grunt? I think @Squiby is over medicated and making shit up. :biggrin:
Nope. It's true, Grunts are in the family of baked fruit desserts with variations to create buckles, slumps, crumbles, crisps, cobblers etc. If you like baked fruit with some sort of baked topping, you'll love a Grunt which has a sort of dumpling topping baked into the bottom layer of fruit. Yummm!!!

https://www.amazon.ca/Cobblers-Cris...okkbook&qid=1557680598&s=gateway&sr=8-3-spell

https://www.bing.com/search?pc=KAWI&form=AMZNS2&q=rhubarb+grunt

I've had this recipe on file for a few weeks now and am dying to try it
THAT recipe looks delicious!!!

This is my first harvest of the season. I don't put any chemicals on my mowed areas of any areas for that matter. It's not really a lawn but rather a mixture of plants that grew after I cleared the land. I never added any cultivated grass seed. Anyway dandelions found there way here and they are in full bloom.

Dandelions are considered to be one of the most nutritious vegatables. They are widely recognized as a promoter of liver health, as they stimulate the production of bile and work to detoxify, reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in the liver.

The plant is also a known diuretic, increasing the amount of urine the body produces, and can be valuable in reducing water weight or blood pressure. It also has digestive benefits, as a mild appetite stimulant and an upset stomach soother. It also is a mild analgesic. Some studies have shown dandelion to be an effective blood sugar regulator as well. They say it may also work to reduce “bad” cholesterol while increasing “good” cholesterol.

All parts of the plant are edible, medicinal and healing. The flowers make a delightful tea or pretty addition to a salad.

Here is the first of the trays on their way to be dried and stored to make my daily cup of dandelion flower tea.

fjq79h.jpg

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back