Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy The Garden Thread

Very Special Green on Green
f9hzci.jpg
Then it is truly Paradise on Earth. You deserve every happiness, @Squiby, and it looks like some has come your way...

Spring blooming Foam flowers growing as ground covers under peonies. The common variety is in the background and the hybridized two tone Cutting Edge variety is in front. I'm encouraging them to fill in around all the taller perennials.
eq5t3m.jpg

A new bed with mostly lilac saplings, a couple of Beauty Berries and a Ninebark. The thick layer of hay mulch keeps the soil moist and cool and prevents weeds for at least a season of two and will allow the saplings to establish themselves. The only water they get comes from the sky and the heavy mulch conserves water.
2vmzzwg.jpg

Spring blooming Foam flowers growing as ground covers under peonies. The common variety is in the background and the hybridized two tone Cutting Edge variety is in front. I'm encouraging them to fill in around all the taller perennials.
eq5t3m.jpg

A new bed with mostly lilac saplings, a couple of Beauty Berries and a Ninebark. The thick layer of hay mulch keeps the soil moist and cool and prevents weeds for at least a season of two and will allow the saplings to establish themselves. The only water they get comes from the sky and the heavy mulch conserves water.
2vmzzwg.jpg
Let me tell U a story that reminds me of my growing life before I became greedy!
In Hawaii north shore we surfed and grew weed.
No fancy shit!
Lava soil, trade wind’s, rain fall 1 acres of 5!

Outdoors is all we knew?
GDP STYLE without seed.
It sold better & 4 more $ back ‘n da daze!
LAX da kine li that.
We only had zigzag papers for joint making!
2 day we have tried 2 modernize the way CANNABIS is consumed.
4-me being a no income sack I use what I have?
NIRVANA is what U make it!
MAUI WOWIE is OK 2-me!

Our veggie garden isn't doing great. Lots of rain here but 40F nights and 50F days have slowed things down. The watermelons I started in my grow room are barely alive. Beans, peppers, potatoes are not bad, tomatoes so so. Weeds are doing great tho, lol.

I love these! So dainty. Are they a slow spreader? Or are they invasive? Seems like they mound.
I really like them too. They are quite well behaved. Initially, they form a low clump and then slowly spread. The common variety seems to be slightly more vigorous.
I like that they basically cover the ground and bloom as the peonies and hosta in that bed are just emerging. The exposure is East, under the dappled shade of overhead trees.
I had to look up Ninebark and Beauty Berries... I'd never heard of them before. Which variety of Ninebark did you get? And do the deer like it lol?
Ive never had Beauty Berries before either, so they will be a surprise. The ninebark is a purple variety but I don't remember the name. It was planted last fall as a tiny 6 inch sapling. It has done quite well so far. The deer did chew it down to a nub over the winter, which didn't take much nibbling since it was just a little stick. But it's comeback strong. I think that it is going to be vigorous enough to hold its own against the deer.

The cherries are done, and now there are plums and peaches. I can always figure out what to do with peaches, but am perplexed by plums. There always seem to be so many, and they all get ripe at the same time. Any plum ideas? Pluots aren't far behind.

The cherries are done, and now there are plums and peaches. I can always figure out what to do with peaches, but am perplexed by plums. There always seem to be so many, and they all get ripe at the same time. Any plum ideas? Pluots aren't far behind.
I’m at a lost?

This morning before ESPRESSO my favorite garden squirrel was being chased by big old Crow’s!
My wife and I were laughing at the chasing of these creatures!

The squirrel has a tail crooked?
What name do I give her/him?

At lost 4 a name?

Outstanding. I don't think I've ever seen a red peony before.... Are any of yours aromatic? I've found it's mostly the fuchsia variety that smells good.
Yes, many of them are sweetly scented. I love the red peonies! I typically don't see them for sale around here. All of mine have been purchased as roots through mail order.

Early blooms fade away as new buds form.

Rusty German Iris.
20190626_110736.jpg

Blue Iris.
20190619_141649-3.jpg

A Northern Catalpa tree. I started it from a seed about 7 years ago. It's a very fast grower!
20190706_184445.jpg

Close up of the Northern Catalpa flowers.
20190706_184503.jpg

Yes, many of them are sweetly scented. I love the red peonies! I typically don't see them for sale around here. All of mine have been purchased as roots through mail order.

Rusty German Iris.
View attachment 10742

Blue Iris.
View attachment 10743

A Northern Catalpa tree. I started it from a seed about 7 years ago. It's a very fast grower!
View attachment 10744

Close up of the Northern Catalpa flowers.
View attachment 10745
Such beautiful flowers, @Squiby. Really a garden to envy.

I love the red peonies! I typically don't see them for sale around here. All of mine have been purchased as roots through mail order.

So you've had good luck buying through mail order? I've always been hesitant... but I have never seen that red variety and think I may have to cave and see if I can find it online. You said that early blooms fade as new buds form... do you find this variety to bloom longer than the others?

And what are your tricks for planting those roots? In pots first; then once they take you put them into the ground?

I've never seen that either. And you started it from seed?!? Amazing. Where, pray tell, did you get the seed? it's beautiful.

As are your Iris... my bearded Iris didn't do much this year. But I only planted them last fall. I'm hopeful for next year.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back