Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Discontinued The Grasshopper

Vapes no longer in production
The user has had 2 units do this during normal use, they have had a few replacements,
1580305430582.png

1580305465963.png

The user has had 2 units do this during normal use, they have had a few replacements,
View attachment 15868
View attachment 15869
I have never heard of this in all the many units out there

Lots of faults I have read, but not this
Many many faults from many many people
Never this

Interesting that only one person has received 2 that melt out of everyone else

Again I wonder if it is with the faulty batteries or normal ones
Since it is a new post and the faulty batteries were posted just before the fire to some people (I didn't get mine pre fire though)

That pic doesn't look the same as either of the 3 bodies I have

The plastic looks too low in that pic

Here is one I have used the hell out of on setting 4 of 5
It is currently in need of a clean thus the discolouration

If I give it a swab clean it comes up shiny and clean as new
The plastic/silicone insulation is slightly stained from resin but also comes up pretty close to og shade

First pic still looks inconsistent with how I would think it would melt if the metal is that charred, it does look torched - not saying it is, just how the pic looks to me
Also the char goes inwards - you draw the other way or airflow is opposite direction so you suck the heat past the plastic end we can see and my head thinks it would melt and char in different directions
I could be wrong

Be interesting to see if more of this happens in the near future from other users

20200130_010150.jpg

EDIT
Another thought I had was that I know when people tried mixing and matching updated bodies or back ends with older tech ones they were not compatible and had issues also with function - either not hot enough or combustion

Possibly a case of this to over heat

Although I still never heard of melt or charring from such and still think it's odd the part of the chamber closest to the heater is not charred at all but the top is the worst and it fades off inwards
This is also why I see torch like traits in the pic

A lot of boxes in that pic
I wouldn't continue to buy units when they are all breaking down
You don't get a new box with your rma

I only bought one 2nd hand (which has been my one in RMA twice) and a replacement back end to go with the free spare body I got
My new one has always worked
I love my hopper but would never waste more money on more and more of them

Still hoping I get one of these new models as a replacement
I got an email saying they are going through rmas
Some people will get their old one back as it missed the fire and some will get a new updated version

I hope mine got burnt and I get a new one
Lol

Last edited:
I wonder if the new IO will get as hot as the old model,
View attachment 15867
Hehe, I wonder why their factory caught fire!
Something wrong with that GH. I have run GH's for...maybe three years now (well, incl time in the RMA penalty box) and have zero melting or really any other impact to the materials used.

And I run anywhere from 4.2 - 5 on the dail.

And I agree....one person? I am highly suspicious of WTF they are doing with the GH.

As I'm sure you know, those shy and retiring wallflowers on FC would be screaming their lungs out if this happened to them....and they are not.

Fuck knows what happened to it, I just copied the pics as I thought it might be of interest and hopefully steer people away from this mess until they have everything sorted, I find it hard to believe people keep giving them money for nothing.

Fuck knows what happened to it, I just copied the pics as I thought it might be of interest and hopefully steer people away from this mess until they have everything sorted, I find it hard to believe people keep giving them money for nothing.

I'll be the first to admit that GHL has their problems and their customer service has been shit. However, over time they have taken care of me. I have 3 Hoppers and I cannot envision a situation that would lead to the damage the picture shows. Can their half-assed battery even crank out enough power to do that? The damn thing looks like it was hit with a torch or a soldering iron.

I'll be the first to admit that GHL has their problems and their customer service has been shit. However, over time they have taken care of me. I have 3 Hoppers and I cannot envision a situation that would lead to the damage the picture shows. Can their half-assed battery even crank out enough power to do that? The damn thing looks like it was hit with a torch or a soldering iron.
I agree that it looks torched to me

I mean what is that charring on the metal?

1 - we can torch SS and Ti with no harm or charring to the metal so where did that come from

2 - if it is plastic charring on the metal why is it going backwards and not melted upwards into the front end (of which we have no pics

3 - why is the metal and grill directly next to the heater still shiny??

To me it looks like someone has tried to use a torch to clean it or something and fucked up their hopper?

Or torched and tried to get a new one as they are frustrated that they bought 6 hoppers in a row?

I mean there is a minimum of $1800 worth of boxes there if buying the cheapest option

I'm no fan of HL at all nor their CS
But this is a bit suss looking to my eyes especially as Ive never read of another person having the issue and one person says they have had two do it

Who knows
I can't trust HL either so it all speculation

My eyes and personal experience say it appears torched or the likes though

Only reason I suggested the faulty batteries is because HL blamed the fire on them - but again I would then expect the burns to be in the battery compartment of the body not the chamber

Hopper Labs had no problem that the units were warranty pronlems...torched....ffs we don't all test shit by blazing it.

Hopper Labs had no problem that the units were warranty pronlems...torched....ffs we don't all test shit by blazing it.
1 - HL have always honoured all their warranty claims no matter what and you can transfer warranty 2nd hand - their issue is too many problems and a slow turn around, not a lack of honouring people's RMA
They are quite known to go out of their way to help, just bloody slowly and frustratingly so

2 - who tests shit by torching it???

3 - if the person has done something out of the ordinary to achieve this and isn't telling us all what makes you think they are telling truth about the RMA claim?
(Not that I'm saying they have done something, just if it's the case)

4 - I never said I know what is going on and that it's all speculation, but you do have 3 people stunned by these pics and not one other person ever mentioned this on any forum of all the issues that are known

5 - why do you seem so upset by 3 of us thinking it is suss looking for normal use and two seeing torch like traits

I'm not upset at all
Just making observations that make sense if you look at it

None of my questions have been answered as to the state of metal or parts closest to heater or any other usual science type thinking

It may be faulty units as I mentioned above and what looks funny to me in pictures may not be reality in person

It looks weird and doesn't add up to my eyes

As I said before it will be interesting to see if others start having these issues now this first case has arisen
Also be interesting to see if there are more cases if they were using the dodgy batteries that were sent to some or not

Last edited:
So I finally got a response regarding my hopper
They will send a new hopper free of charge to replace my rma (but they ask me to chuck in if I can....pffft, sorry HL you haven't done enough good for me to consider this....lol)

Or they offer $80 off a new IO in April
I really don't want to spend more money on HL items given the history, and think $80 is not much of an incentive considering how long I have not had my other hopper

It is a little tempting as I'd like the improved version - they should just give me that anyway, but don't know if it's sensible to send more money

My good hopper is a beast - a better improved unit would have to be something special
The company is just not trust worthy and is asking me to help them if I feel like it

Not sure yet which option I will choose

20200206_204023.png

So I've been on a merry go round with HL for the last couple of months discussing my rma and the new IO etc

In emails I had asked for an IO to replace my hopper they have had for ever and ever
This was when the announcement was first made

They had accidentally almost offered me one saying that they will be sending replacements in April (the wording was debatable as to it being a genuine offer of an IO and them saying when IOs will be available)

Then in the warranty thread on their site I mentioned this again and requested that they honour the offer of an IO
I was told that there is no way they can give me an IO to replace my hopper that was lost in the fire
I could either wait until much later in the year for a brand new OG hopper or I could have an IO with an $80 discount

I mentioned that I have not had my hopper for approximately 18 months and that they have had it more time than I have had it in my possession
I also mentioned the emails where they effectively offered me am IO as a replacement and they should honour that

This went around in circles for a few messages
At one stage I thought I would try a compromise
I said in order to get a hopper in my hands quicker and not wait for near 2-3 years for my hopper back I would be willing to pay $120 for an IO to get this finalised and finally deal with the RMA

They said no but I could have the $80 discount as offered to everyone
We went back and forth and in circles for a while again and then they said they will check with CS

No reply for ages

I then messaged and asked for the payment code for a $120 IO as discussed....
I got a reply with a code for $80

I replied saying again that they had effectively offered a free one in emails and they should honour this but I am willing to just get it over with and pay the $120 as a compromise

Yesterday I got a code to input at checkout for $145 off

I tossed up between the Ti and the SS
I decided I didn't want to pay the extra $30 USD for a Ti considering it only has 5w extra power and because I really wasn't happy to give them money at all

So in the end I have just ordered an SS IO for $120 + $16 post in replacement of my OG Ti hopper

Hoping I get it in April without too many delays and hoping I get my extra batteries I had paid for before the fire (hoping the ghb3 units work well and don't explode or set units on fire etc as the last lot they had sent to some people reportedly did

And then hoping it is the new and improved unit and everything we have all been wanting and waiting for

Fingers crossed I didn't just throw money away at a failing company

At least I got a decent discount out of them after a lot of back and forthing

Hoping this is the beast it promises to be
Lifetime warranty again - we are yet to see how it all pans out

With the covid 19 going around it's affecting mail. I know airvape legacy was supposed to drop in April as well but if it's comming from China hope they aren't delayed. I grabbed a legacy for 99 bucks. The io looks alright I just won't trust HL until they prove themselves. I was planning on a tm this year but I think I've changed my mind on that one.

If your interested and haven't seen yet a company is making a power adapter for the hopper so you can use it plugged in sans batteries. Good luck on the io @felvapes .. I wonder if anyone ever got their ss cases or quick chargers promised in like 2016/2017 :ko:

With the covid 19 going around it's affecting mail. I know airvape legacy was supposed to drop in April as well but if it's comming from China hope they aren't delayed. I grabbed a legacy for 99 bucks. The io looks alright I just won't trust HL until they prove themselves. I was planning on a tm this year but I think I've changed my mind on that one.

If your interested and haven't seen yet a company is making a power adapter for the hopper so you can use it plugged in sans batteries. Good luck on the io @felvapes .. I wonder if anyone ever got their ss cases or quick chargers promised in like 2016/2017 :ko:
I have one of the maxvapor AC adaptor on reserve
I'm waiting for the 18650 battery slides they are making to get mine sent though

Yea I don't have lots of faith in the HL ppl, but I didn't want to wait until the end of the year or later for my RMA

My good hopper is kicking on great still and so hoping the io is the beast it should be

I think I should have got one for free but managing to talk them round to $120 is a win if I get one and it shines
It's a risk but I took it

If not it's no more money to HL but ensuring they honour my warranties for life which no other vape offers

I got my charger and ss case refunded ages ago as it took too long

Here's hoping

Corona hasn't affected my packages from China recently but have heard USA customers have some wait

TM I was watching but have held off for a number of reasons

If the IO is what it's meant to be I have a unit for half the TM price and a lifetime warranty

If it's as dodgy as prior it's a lesson I should have already learnt
At least only a cheaper lesson

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone ever got their ss cases or quick chargers promised in like 2016/2017 :ko:

Still waiting on those lol.

In fact, I got so sick of waiting that I put in a request for a refund of them January 8th. 3 different times they've told me they're going to refund the money, but then it "slips through the cracks." But they did find time to change my order to "refunded" on my order page.

Great guys.

Haven't even responded to my E-mails since Jan. 31st about it.

I get that shit is going on right now, but they have basically stolen my money at this point, after I floated it to them for 2 and 1/2 years. AND my other Hopper was lost in the fire and I was offered, after poking them, that bullshit $80 off a new IO. Yeah, because I should float them some MORE money. I guess their business model is, "Hey, Mom, can you send another check?"

I like supporting pioneers in this market. I also like not being jerked around.

I've tried to be patient about it. And I knew their history when going in - I should have never preordered anything from them.

Plus, this is a vape for a niche market within a niche market. They're a tiny company. I want them to succeed. Their tech is impressive.

But they run their business, in particular their customer service, like someone with the IQ of a butter dish whose mind is a black hole that sucks all surrounding thought into it in an infinite singularity of pure stupidity. I have never experienced and I hope to never experience again a business run so pervasively, astoundingly, unyieldingly incompetently ever again.

With thanks to Stephen Colbert.

But I guess I should just be "cool" about it; they're engineers, doncha know.

I have one of the maxvapor AC adaptor on reserve

In better news, my order for the adapter has shipped! Kind of wish I hadn't ordered it, at this point, but whatever. I sure hope mine works because the batteries I received in November have degraded noticeably already. :hmm:

Will report further upon receipt. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I received a donation of a Grasshopper to use to educate and share with my patients.
It arrived with a missing front end.
A friend who I feel like a brother to, sent me a front piece, as quick as you please!
He's an associate that actually came to visit me here in Tucson about a year and a half ago.
Today I tried the Grasshopper for the first time. Wow!
I often film (hey wait a minute....it is not "film".. do I just say I videoed myself?).
Anyway I sit in front of a computer and I take a test hit.
Up ahead a few words, you will see my first hit on the Grasshopper.
Those who know me know I have Titles and usually music in my videos.
This is a Vaporist TV blooper, sort of.
I did not edit it or add music, so you could hear my totally toasted mumblings as I went to shut the video on the computer.
P.S. Look at my dull witted eyes at the very end!!:ko:

I received a donation of a Grasshopper to use to educate and share with my patients.
It arrived with a missing front end.
A friend who I feel like a brother to, sent me a front piece, as quick as you please!
He's an associate that actually came to visit me here in Tucson about a year and a half ago.
Today I tried the Grasshopper for the first time. Wow!
I often film (hey wait a minute....it is not "film".. do I just say I videoed myself?).
Anyway I sit in front of a computer and I take a test hit.
Up ahead a few words, you will see my first hit on the Grasshopper.
Those who know me know I have Titles and usually music in my videos.
This is a Vaporist TV blooper, sort of.
I did not edit it or add music, so you could hear my totally toasted mumblings as I went to shut the video on the computer.
P.S. Look at my dull witted eyes at the very end!!:ko:

Consider turning the unit off just before the end of your draw to keep the heater from overheating.

Consider turning the unit off just before the end of your draw to keep the heater from overheating.
Thanks for the tip.
I had just taken the unit out of a box, and the battery was already charged. I did not know the fine points.
I loaded it... package still on table....
did that one hit you saw.
The unit allowed me to finish that load, and load it again, and get another few great hits.
After that, I recharged it.
I know of all of the issues... I read it all. It appears I got a good one!

Dope Gun™ IO is here. Didn't get tracking and HL website still shows order status as "In Progress". Surprised and on the charger. Will report back later!

My IO arrived two weeks ago

I've been using it almost exclusively since

So far

The construction is miles above the OG
Much more solid feeling and screws in and out etc smooth af

No loose buttons and smooth dial turns

It functions brilliantly
Instant vapour
Tastes great
Hits hard
Even extraction

It's like what the GH always promised to be

Only issue is I seem to have to unscrew and rescrew the back end at each use
Seems to reset the battery
Otherwise it flashes as if it's empty

I get the same 2-3 bowls per battery charge though
Just need to reset each bowl as described

I hope the new batteries arrive soon and are stronger to compensate

But so far this is a bong beast that hits and works better and more reliably than the OG
Really loving the upgrade

Let's just see how the longevity pans out

I'm still waiting for my ac adaptor for the OG hopper

If this io keeps working as is and HL can get my new batteries to me as improved versions I think they have a chance to maybe, maybe reclaim some credit and save their business

This if lasts is almost that one vape we want
As a bong head it is amazeballs on any setting but 5 is best
No combustion
As a dry vape it tastes way better than the OG and is super quick extraction

I have noticed on the site that the lifetime warranty is still valid
But on the IO only for original purchaser
No longer transferable to resales

I do hope you manage to get some new batteries before too long @felvapes, I might even consider an IO in a few months if it all pans out with them.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back