Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Vape Cannabis Hardware - Formerly New Vape

^LOL!^ Not wanting to sound NewVapeNegative, but again today brings another odd/strange/perplexing product decision from NV. They ordered a bunch of SiC dishes meant to be a less-expensive option to the D-nail 28mm SiC. Before they arrived, Edwyn hinted there might be an issue but that it would be sorted to everyone’s satisfaction. This is all my-memory paraphrase but anyway, today they posted that the dishes are indeed a bit too large.

Here is NV’s solution: all current owners of Vrod (versions 1 & 2) are to send in the top of the Vrod & cap into NV (no mention of shipping cost), they’ll have a machine dedicated for revision and the day it arrives it gets fixed and goes back out the same day. I would be pissed if, like one dude, I just got my Vrod after waiting for restock AND re-wired/soldered the plug for a de facto default pinned controller.

So an early adopter getting revision 1, then discover quite quickly that the design doesn’t vape the load evenly. NV’s solution was to send out a plug for the centre hole. Okay, I guess... All later buyers got Rev 2, which fit the D-Nail & other 28mm dishes perfectly, RESULT! Day saved! ...Except now I’m being asked to send it in so that it will fit an out-sized, uncommon dish. Thus presumably making the fit for standard dishes not as good? Okay... don’t send it in and simply wait for Dnail to get more, right?
Except there’s this:
Going forward with Rev 3, all Vrod top portions will apparently be milled to accommodate the NV SiC dish. Or maybe they’ll offer 2 Vrod top portions? All because their suppliers screwed up, WTF? Any other industry, you send that shit back & get what was specified. Then you manage your supply chain better going forward. This seems just like the Ti double-weave screens that he somehow got delivered in 78mm, so he increased the groove to fit it. Oh yeah, the reason he decided to carry them in the first place was because customers were buying a competitor’s 75mm Ti double-weave screen. Now suddenly those don’t fit anymore...

Thanks @herbivore21 & @Baron23 for making me feel less crazy. I too remember how passionately he defended his plug decision, citing industry experts and science, that and wanting the safest option out there. Now it just sounds like some bullshit myths passed around an epic session. So fucking lame to hear now what he based a business decision on and then obstinantly dug his heels in. Now it seems like since his UK vendor showed everyone how simple the matter actually was (they use the same China connection) and his customers called him out on it, he begrudgingly says “I’ll get ten”. This is just like the adjustabowl “leakage” blow-out, where he threw a self-denial hissy fit and then finally said, “okay, I can make the tolerance tighter if that’s what everyone wants” and it fixed the leak!

I want a Vrod (if a version ever stabilises) or Showerhead and I really like their gear, but I got no warm fuzzies for the company. These aren’t standard business practices and yet lotsa folks herald them. IDK...

^LOL!^ Not wanting to sound NewVapeNegative, but again today brings another odd/strange/perplexing product decision from NV. They ordered a bunch of SiC dishes meant to be a less-expensive option to the D-nail 28mm SiC. Before they arrived, Edwyn hinted there might be an issue but that it would be sorted to everyone’s satisfaction. This is all my-memory paraphrase but anyway, today they posted that the dishes are indeed a bit too large.

Here is NV’s solution: all current owners of Vrod (versions 1 & 2) are to send in the top of the Vrod & cap into NV (no mention of shipping cost), they’ll have a machine dedicated for revision and the day it arrives it gets fixed and goes back out the same day. I would be pissed if, like one dude, I just got my Vrod after waiting for restock AND re-wired/soldered the plug for a de facto default pinned controller.

So an early adopter getting revision 1, then discover quite quickly that the design doesn’t vape the load evenly. NV’s solution was to send out a plug for the centre hole. Okay, I guess... All later buyers got Rev 2, which fit the D-Nail & other 28mm dishes perfectly, RESULT! Day saved! ...Except now I’m being asked to send it in so that it will fit an out-sized, uncommon dish. Thus presumably making the fit for standard dishes not as good? Okay... don’t send it in and simply wait for Dnail to get more, right?
Except there’s this:
Going forward with Rev 3, all Vrod top portions will apparently be milled to accommodate the NV SiC dish. Or maybe they’ll offer 2 Vrod top portions? All because their suppliers screwed up, WTF? Any other industry, you send that shit back & get what was specified. Then you manage your supply chain better going forward. This seems just like the Ti double-weave screens that he somehow got delivered in 78mm, so he increased the groove to fit it. Oh yeah, the reason he decided to carry them in the first place was because customers were buying a competitor’s 75mm Ti double-weave screen. Now suddenly those don’t fit anymore...

Thanks @herbivore21 & @Baron23 for making me feel less crazy. I too remember how passionately he defended his plug decision, citing industry experts and science, that and wanting the safest option out there. Now it just sounds like some bullshit myths passed around an epic session. So fucking lame to hear now what he based a business decision on and then obstinantly dug his heels in. Now it seems like since his UK vendor showed everyone how simple the matter actually was (they use the same China connection) and his customers called him out on it, he begrudgingly says “I’ll get ten”. This is just like the adjustabowl “leakage” blow-out, where he threw a self-denial hissy fit and then finally said, “okay, I can make the tolerance tighter if that’s what everyone wants” and it fixed the leak!

I want a Vrod (if a version ever stabilises) or Showerhead and I really like their gear, but I got no warm fuzzies for the company. These aren’t standard business practices and yet lotsa folks herald them. IDK...
Well, they do have some dedicated groupies over there in the FP thread....true believers of the faith. Not the only vape to have such dedication but I rather discount that level of blind enthusiasm. To me, this is just a product made by a company...not an opportunity to personally bond. haha

I believe he ordered his SiC dishes because D-nail is out of stock of first run SiC Halos (which is also very surprising). He used to carry TAG SiC dishes for wrap around but D-nail Halos seemed to be far preferred by customers. So, apparently they decide to source them themselves and yes, I agree....you need to buy to a spec for dimensions and if they don't fit the answer is to bounce them back to the supplier....not hog out people's Vrod. I have no idea how tight a spec he put on his purchase order, but he's a machinist so I would expect it to be pretty tightly defined. So, why did he accept them?

It is a bit like the double weave screens. He said that they were 78mm because he could get that tool cheaper/quicker than the 75mm....but that's not a decision I would make either. Its either done perfectly right or its wrong. I'm very binary about stuff like that.

I would not send my Vrod back, I would just wait and buy from D-nail or NV if D-nail ever restocks them at wholesale, and if going forward he doesn't accommodate a better fit on D-Nail in favor of his own oversized SiC dish, I may well hesitate if I was interested in purchasing a Vrod. Now, his sourced SiC dishes, while a bit too wide, may be at the same quality level as D-nail's in which case it may be all right. But after the reporting on TAG vs D-nail SiC, I would personally wait and see what owners think of his dish.

I still have and still love my FP SH. I've been using the glass bowl I bought off of e-bay and it works pretty darn good. It dribbles a little bit of flower into my rig, but that's easily cleaned up and doesn't really bother me. If it did, I would fashion a hemp fiber filter and put it in the joint under the glass gauze to catch any Scoopy Snacks (how did that phrase enter into the vaporist lexicon? haha).

Last edited:
Ok, in complete fairness....and upon further examination (rather than react to another post), it turns out the new dishes are .005 too big. 5 thousands of a mm ain't doodly squat.

I'm not a machinist, but I presume that putting a 28.5mm dish into a cavity now opened to 28.55mm ain't going to impact performance in any way.

Anybody got any better insights into this? Seems like a non-issue to me.

But I wonder if rather than open the Ti of the Vrod, can't they take a sander to them for .005mm. There must be someway to work these dishes to remove such a small amount on the outside face, yeah?

You’re completely right of course, it’s not a big deal in reality this time but I brought it up as an example (one of many) of a cannabis business not operating like “normal” business practices, like @herbivore21 & you were discussing. Seeing herbivores posts really reminded me how much I’ve missed them and I’m not sure why I’ve been such an asylum stranger but I’m getting out of old ruts!

Also, you touched upon something else that strikes me as somewhat unique to the vape-world where there is “personal bonding” between customers and inventors/companies. It gets really passionate!

Legit Kudos to Edwyn and team NewVape for coming back with options for everyone and their situation. And saying straight from the get-go that the intent was that each customer will be satisfied and when a manufacturer starts the conversation that way, it’s awesome. That’s a great attitude and a real advantage a small shop has, they can be flexible if they choose to be.

Completely OT, but @Baron23 back to personally bonding subject: I really thought you & I made real progress over the last year plus! :razz2: I envy your ability to communicate with clarity, I tend to get lost along the way...:private: Anyway thanks again for your POV here! :peace:

(one of many) of a cannabis business not operating like “normal” business practices
Seriously? I've worked for and with many large well organized businesses none of which had any involvement with cannabis and I would say this is normal with companies that are seeking to innovate.

Although that could be my
blind enthusiasm

Respect! -YaMon

...i still have not jumped on the vrod bandwagon... primarily due to the fact i have a SiC halo, been mainly dabbing off a 25mm quartz banger + coil and i only use the SH for flower..... not to mention i'd need new coil + adapter OR a new controller...

...i do think the SH is an amazing flower vape and is hard to compete against... maybe one day i will see a vrod, but for now i don't see the point...

Once you factor in the UK VAT of 20%, import duty and shipping fees from the US, it's about right

you and me both :) ;)

Man I’m so excited about the Black Friday deal I got at NV for the VRod + all the accessories that my conscience would allow. Since NV just started reselling the Auber RDK-300A, I grabbed that as well for less than I could from Auber directly. The only thing I passed on was a coil because I’m down for a sexy red number from @710 coils that are meant to arrive next week!

Did anyone else jump on the Flowerpot train today? I’m just so excited because I’ve been waiting like a kid for Christmas...:biggrin:

I still love my FP SH. I use it ONLY for flower and do not dab off of it. I have other bangers and dedicated nails for that.

I moved on to glass bowls for a while...tasted good, more scooby snacks in the water, but sort of felt that putting in a Ti screen defeated the purpose of going glass in the first place.

I have, in the last couple of months, returned to the Ti adjust-a-bowl and frankly it gets me faster and more complete extraction. Nice med-dark brown AVB.

I use an 18 mm rig and 18 mm body on the adjust-a-bowl and it works terrifically.

Can't say enough good about FP SH and NewVape.

NewVapes customer service is atrocious. I've given their phone number to several people that told me they left messages on NewVapes answering machine. (That's all you can do is leave a message...no one ever answers the phone at NewVape.) Not one of the people that called and left a message on NewVapes answering machine has received a return phone call. Does anyone know how to contact a human being at NewVape? :idon'tknow:

Hey @Vital Have you tried the email address on the contact page: support@newVape.com that’s what I’ve used and someone (usually Lori) has gotten back to me within a day or two, IIRC. But I’ve also heard from others who’vej had your experience, so don’t take it personally. :lol: I also think it’s strange that nobody answers the phone during business hours, why list a number otherwise?

Hey @Vital Have you tried the email address on the contact page: support@newVape.com that’s what I’ve used and someone (usually Lori) has gotten back to me within a day or two, IIRC. But I’ve also heard from others who’vej had your experience, so don’t take it personally. :lol: I also think it’s strange that nobody answers the phone during business hours, why list a number otherwise?

It's a waste of time emailing NewVape, all any of them received was an automated response informing them "someone will get back to you within 24 hours", but no one received a reply (save the automated reply).

Thanks pxl_jockey...I appreciate the suggestion though. :wink:

DNail were great to deal with, offered to help me rewire a DHGate PID to suit their (unofficial industry standard) XLR plug. Mucked up a small part of my order, sent what was missed plus 1x SiC and 3x quartz Comets, stickers, joint stoppers and other little goodies for my trouble.
Don't know about actual prices but NewVape wanted US$108 just for shipping to send me a Vrod+Showerhead kit!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back