Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Misc. The Taboo of Vaping

Jill NYC

A few things I have been thinking about...
I find it very hard to casually tell people I vape cannabis - most immediately think of Juul or other ecig.
If I have time, I explain that I vape dry herbs - but those who only know it from their kids or media still think it is a huge danger (I.e. stupid)

When someone who also partakes asks if I smoke weed - I feel kind of like a douche to say “no, but I vape.” Instead, I usually just say yes, but it hurts my heart a little!

Partaking of cannabis is still done in back rooms in my neck of the woods - rarely are adults at a party out in the open, unless it is a fully partaking group in a home with no kids. I mean, it is definitely less taboo than it was 5 years ago - walk the streets of NYC and you can basically get a contact high. But in general, you still have to be cautious about who you tell/offer etc.

So a few questions -
do any of you have same social stigma put upon you?
those in legal states/countries- has the stigma lessened on partaking in general?
how do you explain to people (in one sentence) vaping as we know it? I wish there was a word or two that would differentiate ecigs and vaping dry herbs, but sadly vaping = ecigs to the general public.

When someone who also partakes asks if I smoke weed - I feel kind of like a douche to say “no, but I vape.” Instead, I usually just say yes, but it hurts my heart a little!
I've stopped offering detailed info when I'm initially asked this sort of question. I say something like "yeah, I toke"
Not much has changed in my world with legalization. I'm in a rural setting and the intoxicant of choice strongly sides with alcohol. So I don't usually openly vape at a gathering. I'm more likely to abstain until I'm at home.
how do you explain to people (in one sentence) vaping as we know it? I wish there was a word or two that would differentiate ecigs and vaping dry herbs, but sadly vaping = ecigs to the general public.
I say that I don't burn it anymore because baking it is smoother and less harsh. I bake my flower. I bake my flower in the oven of this device until the essence is vaporized. If the conversation continues, I'll mention that very different types of devices are called Vaporizers and that those that operate on a battery to vaporize a highly processed liquid made from unknown ingredients can be risky and detrimental to your health.

Funny you should bring this up... I had someone tell me the other day that "Vaping is dangerous!!!" :shakehead: The ecig market has ruined the credibility of vaping imo. Or I should say, the Juul generation has. Between them and the counterfeit vape cartridges that caused the deaths.... vaping has gotten a rotten reputation.

I went into great detail with them... of course. But it would be nice to be able to have a pat little answer for folks that encompasses vaping herb without a negative connotation.

Not usually... at least not any more. When I first started vaping people thought I was being snobby when I refused to share a joint. Or rolled their eyes. That's no longer the case with vaping becoming much more mainstream. I'm also in a state that has had medical for a number of years and just turned rec. So it's not something that needs hiding anymore.

those in legal states/countries- has the stigma lessened on partaking in general?
Absolutely. In fact I crack up at the people I overhear talking about weed. I was at physical therapy last week and overheard two ladies in their 80's discussing THC and how you need that as well as 'the CBD' for pain. And most of the people in the therapy pool I go to clamor to me for advice (or my salve; which I give them for free) when I'm there. I'm known as the 'marijuana expert.' :rofl:

It wasn't like that there two years ago.. or even a year ago. It was all very hush hush.

I don't know that a word or two will do it. What I generally say is that I use a vaporizer. And if they don't know what that is I tell them it's a way of ingesting it without smoking it. Unfortunately (or fortunately... depends) that usually leads to more discussion. And sometimes to someone coming over for a demo lol. Overall though, I think the conversation is usually positive. And I feel that if I can educate someone on the benefits of cannabis and how it may help them it's a win/win situation.

But.. if you are trying to avoid all that, maybe just say you use a cannabis vaporizer because it's a healthier option and leave it at that.

Unless they argue.. then it's game on. There is nothing I love more than when a person cites some ridiculous nonsense and I can point them to a peer reviewed study that contradicts them. :devil2:

Edit:

I've stopped offering detailed info when I'm initially asked this sort of question. I say something like "yeah, I toke"
That's a really good way to put it Squiby.... I like that.

I hate that our flower vaping/pure original vaping has been unfairly tarnished by the vape cartridge fiasco, "vaping".
Our flower vaping is painted with the broad brush stroke of "vaping", when most "cannabis uneducated" only know cartridge vapes, and that's vaping to them.
Cartridge vaping has ruined our flower vaping reputation

The current vaping reputation is unfortunate and it has real world negative impact. Here in MN, our House of Reps is preparing a legal adult cannabis bill. I got set up to meet 1:1 with a State Senator who is also a practicing MD, to seek his support. He said he had been sort of ok with legal as it doesn't hurt anyone.....and then the vaping deaths/injuries made him change his view. He had never heard of the endocannabinoid system :(
I tried to explain that the crisis was from illegal cartridges, tainted with synthetic vitamin e, which is like coating your lings with saran wrap. Legal product would not have these nasty additions. The old stigma and new mis-information are a tough nut to crack.

Still big stigma here in MN. I have to hide away at my vape station to vape. Having legal cannabis would help but there is so much ignorance on cannabis.

When asked about vaping , I say that I vape the purest form, flowers, and not the vape carts with unknown additives. Maybe add that flower vaping is like steel cut oats, the least processed/healthiest option.

A few things I have been thinking about...
I find it very hard to casually tell people I vape cannabis - most immediately think of Juul or other ecig.
If I have time, I explain that I vape dry herbs - but those who only know it from their kids or media still think it is a huge danger (I.e. stupid)

Partaking of cannabis is still done in back rooms in my neck of the woods - rarely are adults at a party out in the open, unless it is a fully partaking group in a home with no kids. I mean, it is definitely less taboo than it was 5 years ago - walk the streets of NYC and you can basically get a contact high. But in general, you still have to be cautious about who you tell/offer etc.

So a few questions -
HI Jill - I certainly understand where you are coming from but I guess I have just turned into an old curmudgeon and don't give a hoot anymore what anybody thinks (well, for the most part).

If the subject comes up, I just say I vape dry flower. If they have an interest in that subject, I will then bore the living shit out of them for an hour and they will never ask another person! hahahaha

Cheers

Last edited:

Yeah, and what makes the whole thing even more complicated is that e cigs were not the culprit for those lung incidents either. Cartridge vapes have nothing to do with e cigarettes, neither technically nor in terms of liquid media nor users nor desired substance. It's a whole different thing.

As a dry herb vaper and e cig user I often feel extremely helpless watching different lobbies and communities attacking each other and manipulating the discussion about it. The cartridge affair lead to extremely stupid flavor bans, also dry herb vape devices have been banned in certain states as a result of those lung incidents – neither has any connection to harmfully cut black market cartridges.

I say something like "yeah, I toke"
That is easy enough - I may try it out!

I'm known as the 'marijuana expert.' :rofl:
Hilarious! Amongst my friends - I am definitely the “expert.” Little do they know how limited my knowledge is (thank goodness for these forums).
I am happy to hear it is so much more socially accepted in your region. Loving the therapy bath chats!
I guess I have just turned into an old curmudgeon and don't give a hoot anymore what anybody thinks (well, for the most part).
Why did I KNOW that you’d say something like that! :rofl: I would expect nothing less!!

It’s not that I care what they think. But just saying “I vape dry flower“ confuses most people who only partake once in a while.
I just want to have a way to say it succinctly without having to resort to...

If they have an interest in that subject, I will then bore the living shit out of them for an hour and they will never ask another person! hahahaha
Yup, me too!!

I'm wondering when we won't feel guilty not passing.

We don't pass food or drinks, but i feel guilty not passing a vape/doobie or whatever.

I have got strange looks turning down joints. And I've run into joint smokers who claim vaping dry herb is worse than smoking.

With the covid 19 deal it seems like a good idea to change our passing behavior.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back