Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Meds Hash

herbivore21

Some of us who are a little longer in the tooth have warm memories of traditional hashes. Some of us may even still get our hands on some from time to time.

This is the thread to admire, discuss and share recent reports and/or fond memories of traditional hashes (heat pressed, typically exported from primary producing countries in regions such as the Middle East, North Africa and the Indian subcontinent).

This can also be a thread where we discuss the ideal ways to vape traditional hashes.

Thought I'd share this image of some high quality traditional pressed hash that I took some high magnification snaps of and then forgot about lol - this one was not my own workmanship.

EJMPcTF.jpg

This is a traditional, high quality hash. As we can see in this 300x magnified shot, this stuff is 5 star full melt. This is a rare level of quality to find in traditional hashes, many of them had more plant contaminant present.

It had that typical rich, hashy flavor with hints of anise, chocolate and honey that only traditional, heat pressed hashes tend to have. It does not taste like any cannabis flower or unpressed hash or oil extractions will taste. It is mid-dark brown in color and reasonably soft and pliable by hands at body temp. Hash like this is ideal to put in a vapcap with some SS coil as a concentrate pad :biggrin:

Please do feel free to share any of your thoughts, experiences of fond memories of traditional hashes in this thread. @Hogniand @Baron23, I just know you guys are full of great hash lore so please do share :hungry:

I share this to highlight that even old school dark heat pressed hash can bring the fire. This shit is the ultimate thing to stuff into a vapcap on the way out the door and puff on for the rest of the day :smoke:

I'll be sure to come back with some more photos of traditional hashes wherever possible :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I'd share this image of some high quality traditional pressed hash that I took some high magnification snaps of and then forgot about lol - this one was not my own workmanship.

EJMPcTF.jpg

I share this to highlight that even old school dark heat pressed hash can bring the fire. This shit is the ultimate thing to stuff into a vapcap on the way out the door and puff on for the rest of the day :smoke:

@Baron23 here's lookin' at you old friend! Thought you would like to see some traditional hash love here too :D @Hogni I'm sure you'll enjoy this pic too my friend :D
oh yeah....takes me back to the days of red keif, black slab hash, and mushy, smelly, killer Pak/Afgan dark hash. Wow, would love to get some of that stuff again. Thanks for the tag, my friend.

EJMPcTF.jpg

@Hogni I'm sure you'll enjoy this pic too my friend :D

Herb, thank you so much! It remembers me the old days in the 70ies. Here in Germany it was a "hash only" time.
But that was old school hash at it's best! Afghani, Pakistani, Nepali, Red/Yellow Libanese, even finest turkish hash (R.I.P.) in those days,
and naturally all grades of moroccon hashes.

Remember my first hit in Feb '73 (I was just 12, silly boy) sitting on the lawn (Feb is preeeeetty cold in Germany) with my best friend and his older brother, who was a pusher. Smoking a chillum with finest temple hash (btw 50 cent/g!!). After my 2nd rip I straight felt back powerless. What a buzz! Immediately felt in love with it. After this I had my favourite drug. Used nearly all in my former days but canna is my favourite up to now. If I have to decide one drug having on a lonely island it would be canna. Probably I would miss a nice craft beer the most ;-) or a Vine.....Rum...Gin??.....but for sure canna!

Grass in Germany just homegrown or from time to time some thaisticks or some african weed in those days. But mostly brick stuff. So hash was nearly alway the better choice for us.

Last edited:
So much hash nostalgia in this thread! I think we need a traditional hash thread!

Yeah, but we got to find some traditional hashish to vape so we have something to discuss! LOL

Yeah, but we got to find some traditional hashish to vape so we have something to discuss! LOL
TBH I think we have enough collective memories of hash to fill a thread with descriptions. I actually have quite a bit of experience vaping traditional hash, as I have had occasional access to it even in recent years :D I am sure I have more photos to share too :biggrin:

Times of traditional hashes are mostly gone. All those dutch and american seed banks did a good job but they started the end of pure landraces around the world because canna farmers - or their important customers - used modern hybrids to increase yields and/or shorten flowering time. Look at Morocco, Lebanon, Jamaica and South America. The only regions where (nearly) pure landraces can be find are Nepal, SE Asia and some regions in Africa.
That reminds me of the open invitation of an old lebanese friend to Lebanon, whose family/clan is one of leading canna cultivators in the bekaa plain :thinker:
All the other traditional canna areas are genetically contaminated by modern strains. May produce good hash but it's no traditional anymore.
Some strains are (nearly) gone because of missing general cultivation. Look at Turkey or Afghanistan (thanks Taliban, afghani warlords and US gouvernment!)
The dawn of genetic versatilty of canna is such a pitty. I could cry!

Have a lot of old literature. Could scan some pics of traditionals and post them here.

Herb, turkish hash was mostly pretty soft pressed, often in very thin plates (5-10 mm) pale yellow to dark greenish. The best had a very mind lifting, speedy and euphoric buzz probably pure sativa. War on drugs was nowhere so effective as in Turkey - regarding canna. But here nearly the same as in Afghanistan. Opium is more profitable than canna. So what, clean your fields and grow poppies instead! Fuck'em....

Hash culture in Germany has historical reasons for sure. It was just the best product for smuggling. Better 10 kg of hash than 10 kg of weed! And the landway went to hash producing countries like Morocco, Turkey, Lebanon.
Thaisticks are not Thaisticks. How said mostly terrible brickweed. But loved the pure sativa rush we normaly couldnt get by our hashes.

In the US clima and connections are different. Mexiko, the Carribeans, Panama, Columbia (all with no hash culture)...at your doors so you could get weed - but nearly only weed - with no efforts.
Because all the weed was seeded you had more genetics available than necessary.
Combined with your clima, at least in the southern states, it was an easy job for americans to grow the finest genetics and starting with breeding new genetics and developing sinsemilla.

Last edited:
TBH I think we have enough collective memories of hash to fill a thread with descriptions.

Yeah, but its not as much fun as it would be if we were all sharing a slab of Pakistan's finest! LOL

My state is now med legal and I have a med card. But dispensaries aren't open yet. I have seen on dispensary menus from other states "hash" but I'm presuming this is pressed keif type of hash and not the heated and hand manipulated soft hashes but I have never had it so don't know.

Now, down memory lane....hell yeah, I remember Moroccan and Lebanese keif wrapped in canvass, black soft slab hashish (little green tinge on the inside) with a seal in gold something (paint?) pressed in, finger hashish reputed to be from Nepal and looked like pencils in a slab before they are sawed apart, and of course my all time favorite was reputed to be from Afghanistan (pre-Russians) and was soft, moldy, sparked a bit when put to the match, and would knock the hair off of your head.

Ah...lovely times, when smuggling generally didn't carry the threat of having your head ending up on a spike somewhere.

@herbivore21 and @Hogni ,

My state is now med legal and I have a med card. But dispensaries aren't open yet. I have seen on dispensary menus from other states "hash" but I'm presuming this is pressed keif type of hash and not the heated and hand manipulated soft hashes but I have never had it so don't know.

Now, down memory lane....hell yeah, I remember Moroccan and Lebanese keif wrapped in canvass, black soft slab hashish (little green tinge on the inside) with a seal in gold something (paint?) pressed in, finger hashish reputed to be from Nepal and looked like pencils in a slab before they are sawed apart, and of course my all time favorite was reputed to be from Afghanistan (pre-Russians) and was soft, moldy, sparked a bit when put to the match, and would knock the hair off of your head.

Ah...lovely times, when smuggling generally didn't carry the threat of having your head ending up on a spike somewhere.

I don't necessarily agree with @Hogni that advances in hybrid genetics make any hashish now made "not quite traditional" anymore. I rather feel that any managed genetics plants would yield more trichomes for the hashish and the magic sauce was really in the making. I will say that Afgan/Paki hashish of my past was definitely Indica couch lock type stuff (and I say that knowing that sativa/ Indica are really a not an accurate terms). LOVED IT.

Hogni is right that geo proximity to flower grow areas in the past made flower more prevalent in the USA. But in the day, the port cities on the east coast did a bumper business in hashish smuggling before all of the war (by the by, Hogni, you overlooked mentioning the Russians in your list of causes of Afghanistan's decline).

Cheers

Yeah, but its not as much fun as it would be if we were all sharing a slab of Pakistan's finest! LOL
Nobody can deny that!

This hash is likely to be either pressed kief (not kif, as the Morrocans would call it - which is the first agitation during their sifting which is kept unpressed, I have known Morrocans who have spoken very fondly of this hash!) as you say my friend. Otherwise, also might be low grade bubble hash or trim bin collection. Trim bin hash can melt almost enough to dab though, so maybe not.

Oh man, so many different kinds of hash right there! I have never seen a stamped brick in the flesh to this day, it has always been a thing I want to see and vape one day!

It is so crazy that cannabis has come to be treated so brutally. The only real danger of good hash is that you may run out of it! :rofl:

Last edited:
Times of traditional hashes are mostly gone. All those dutch and american seed banks did a good job but they started the end of pure landraces around the world because canna farmers - or their important customers - used modern hybrids to increase yields and/or shorten flowering time. Look at Morocco, Lebanon, Jamaica and South America. The only regions where (nearly) pure landraces can be find are Nepal, SE Asia and some regions in Africa.
That reminds me of the open invitation of an old lebanese friend to Lebanon, whose family/clan is one of leading canna cultivators in the bekaa plain :thinker:
All the other traditional canna areas are genetically contaminated by modern strains. May produce good hash but it's no traditional anymore.
This is true of a lot of the regions in the world indeed. However, I must agree with you and @Baron23 that a lot of the new varieties that have surfaced are actually better suited to making a higher quality of hash that was seldom achieved with many of the original landraces from producing regions. This is usually due to much greater resin production. However, traditional hashes from landraces have been found to have more CBD than most modern varieties used for recreational markets.

Some strains are (nearly) gone because of missing general cultivation. Look at Turkey or Afghanistan (thanks Taliban, afghani warlords and US gouvernment!)
The dawn of genetic versatilty of canna is such a pitty. I could cry!
Man this is a terrible shame, I have to agree with Baron, the Russians also had their part in making a mess of Afghanistan. Imperialism has had a terrible influence on too many good things.

Have a lot of old literature. Could scan some pics of traditionals and post them here.
Please do so my friend, I would love to see whatever pics you have!

Herb, turkish hash was mostly pretty soft pressed, often in very thin plates (5-10 mm) pale yellow to dark greenish. The best had a very mind lifting, speedy and euphoric buzz probably pure sativa.
Holy shit, the pale yellow stuff sounds like the fire!!!

Hash culture in Germany has historical reasons for sure. It was just the best product for smuggling. Better 10 kg of hash than 10 kg of weed!
I've always understood this to be the reason for the prevalence of hash in much of Europe. It is much easier to smuggle! Oh man would I be happy with 10kg of hash lol! That'd be my lifetime supply of medicine!

This hash is likely to be either pressed kief (not kif, as the Morrocans would call it - which is the first agitation during their sifting which is kept unpressed, I have known Morrocans who have spoken very fondly of this hash!) as you say my friend. Otherwise, also might be low grade bubble hash or trim bin collection. Trim bin hash can melt almost enough to dab though, so maybe not.

I don't necessarily agree with @Hogni that advances in hybrid genetics make any hashish now made "not quite traditional" anymore. I rather feel that any managed genetics plants would yield more trichomes for the hashish and the magic sauce was really in the making.
In my experience making hash, I have definitely learned that the quality, maturity and handling of the flower will determine the quality of the final product to a great extent. The hashmaker's skill is very important, but IME it is easier to learn the requisite skills than to find flowers of the requisite quality sometimes. As I said earlier in this post, we must concede that the chemotype of the traditional landrace varieties in a number of OG producing regions was different to a number of the contemporary varieties we see now. It is more common to find CBD in traditional hash from landraces for example.

Man so much wonderful hash knowledge in this thread already, I knew it would be a great discussion to have :biggrin:

Last edited:
I feel like a dirty savage reading this. Then again that is why I stay out of the concentrates forum. I like to think if I lived in a legal place I would only vape flower & high end bubble hash. The closest I get is good kief out of my grinder but it does the job & has a nice tang to it.

I feel like a dirty savage reading this. Then again that is why I stay out of the concentrates forum. I like to think if I lived in a legal place I would only vape flower & high end bubble hash. The closest I get is good kief out of my grinder but it does the job & has a nice tang to it.
Actually man, traditional hashes like we see above are generally the domain of the black market. Because these products were always imported from the near and far East, rather than produced in the West, they never had a legal means of entering most nations. I'm sure that if we all had our choice of cannabis product to use, we'd all be using the full melt (whether bubble or dry sift) :biggrin: IME, those who have tried the many various methods of extraction all come back to full melt in the end. Full melt ends up replacing vaped flower in a lot of cases, since it gives the beneficial effects and that element of flavor that you don't get in other concentrates but can be tasted in the flower.

Even grinder kief can be great in the vapcap! Grinder kief barely contains more resin than the flower too, it is a very minor refinement of the resin - so you can imagine how much better hash gets as we start to sieve some more of the plant material out of it!

One day, it is my hope that the full melt will grace your vapes, my friend! Every one of us who loves cannabis should have the opportunity :weed::peace:

Last edited:
This is true of a lot of the regions in the world indeed. However, I must agree with you and @Baron23 that a lot of the new varieties that have surfaced are actually better suited to making a higher quality of hash that was seldom achieved with many of the original landraces from producing regions. This is usually due to much greater resin production. However, traditional hashes from landraces have been found to have more CBD than most modern varieties used for recreational markets.

Man this is a terrible shame, I have to agree with Baron, the Russians also had their part in making a mess of Afghanistan. Imperialism has had a terrible influence on too many good things.

You are right, don't forget the Russians. Of course they damaged first cannnbis culture in A.!
I've read that the last years producion of cannabis in A. is increasing again. So the farmers get $3900 per hectare with canna and $3600 per hectare with opium. Interesting fact aside. In A. they are meanwhile yielding 145 kg per hectare while in Morocco they are yielding 40 kg per hectare. So the farmer in A. get around $28 per kg!!

Please do so my friend, I would love to see whatever pics you have!

When I'll find the time I will do so.

Holy shit, the pale yellow stuff sounds like the fire!!!

It WAS real fire!

I've always understood this to be the reason for the prevalence of hash in much of Europe. It is much easier to smuggle! Oh man would I be happy with 10kg of hash lol! That'd be my lifetime supply of medicine!

It reminds me my last trip to Morocco in the beginning of the 80ties were I've thrown away 5 kg of the finest stuff after the 2nd police control which ripped off our last cash money. I was sweating like hell. The PO was sitting in our bus on my pillow where the hash was layed in at the downside and searched the bus, our beans, rice, salt etc. the whole time. He found nearly 60 gr. for which we had to pay some baksheesh and let us go. But we couldnt risk another control without cash money for baksheesh so I hided the stuff. When coming back the next day it was away. Guess our guide who was within the bust was faster than I. What a stuff. Bought it directely at a farmer in the Ketama region where we lived for 4 days. The last evening I could convinced him to sell me some of his best private stuff. Slabs of around 200 gr., creamy, dark brown outside light brown to yellow inside. Smell and flavour like heaven and bubbling and sizzling when heated - one of the best moroccans I've tried, REAL Zero Zero. And I've tried A LOT of m. over the decades.

Sorry friend, this doesn't agree wih my own experiences. When we got kif - usually smoked with a sebsi, the traditional maroccan "hash"pipe - it was broken weed. In those time maroccans usually smoked hash mixed with tobacco in a joint.

In my experience making hash, I have definitely learned that the quality, maturity and handling of the flower will determine the quality of the final product to a great extent. The hashmaker's skill is very important, but IME it is easier to learn the requisite skills than to find flowers of the requisite quality sometimes. As I said earlier in this post, we must concede that the chemotype of the traditional landrace varieties in a number of OG producing regions was different to a number of the contemporary varieties we see now. It is more common to find CBD in traditional hash from landraces for example.

We have to separate traditional "methods of hashmaking" from tradiotonal "varieties of hash".
How I've said in most hash producing countries today modern varieties are used or, so far old landraces are intended to use, they are often already genetically contaminated by pollen of modern varieties (pollen can fly far up to 300 km!)
So today you can see a drastical increase of THC content produced alt least by genetical influence of modern genetics.

Man so much wonderful hash knowledge in this thread already, I knew it would be a great discussion to have :biggrin:

Hope this discussion will go on!

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right, don't forget the Russians. Of course they damaged first cannnbis culture in A.!
I've read that the last years producion of cannabis in A. is increasing again. So the farmers get $3900 per hectare with canna and $3600 per hectare with opium. Interesting fact aside. In A. they are meanwhile yielding 145 kg per hectare while in Morocco they are yielding 40 kg per hectare. So the farmer in A. get around $28 per kg!!
That is fascinating. Less opium is a good thing. Heroin has cost us all good people.

I look forward to this :biggrin:

Sorry friend, this doesn't agree wih my own experiences. When we got kif - usually smoked with a sebsi, the traditional maroccan "hash"pipe - it was broken weed. In those time maroccans usually smoked hash mixed with tobacco in a joint.
I've only heard this from one Morrocan personally, but I have also seen a friend's footage of a Morrocan hashmaker showing his kif on camera and it was definitely pale resinous stuff. Didn't look like there was presence of powdered bud at all. Still, the potential exists for the term to not have been used consistently between these individuals. I do not dispute that you may have heard and seen differently :)

Perhaps the term is used more generally to refer to different grades of unpressed hash, with the kif that an especially skilled hashmaker keeps for themselves being the headstash type stuff whereas the kif that you had seen which had more plant material in it?

We have to separate traditional "methods of hashmaking" from tradiotonal "varieties of hash".
How I've said in most hash producing countries today modern varieties are used or, so far old landraces are intended to use, they are often already genetically contaminated by pollen of modern varieties (pollen can fly far up to 300 km!)
So today you can see a drastical increase of THC content produced alt least by genetical influence of modern genetics.
There are many contemporary varieties that produce higher CBD than we saw in most landrace varieties. Not all modern breeding has headed in the same direction, and we're about to see it get more diverse still :biggrin: I am not against new varieties on the whole.

I agree that it can be hard to tell if plants in various producing regions are the same genetic stock and have not been interfered with by other newer varieties, but establishing the provenance of many cannabis varieties and pinning their geographical origins is a tough gig so we can't afford to get too hung up on that if you ask me! :peace:

As a hashmaker, the process of traditional hashmaking is what really sets it apart. For me, I'll take any variety, authentic landrace or otherwise that gives me the medical relief that I need. I'm sure there'd be many landraces that I'd benefit from - but in the absence of any availability - I just love the full flavor of hash, and in many cases, traditional pressing can produce wonderful medicine.

Absolutely, a great thread! I'm going to make a temple ball or two soon just because this thread has me on a hash nostalgia trip :biggrin:

Last edited:

It WAS real fire!

It reminds me my last trip to Morocco in the beginning of the 80ties were I've thrown away 5 kg of the finest stuff after the 2nd police control which ripped off our last cash money. I was sweating like hell. The PO was sitting in our bus on my pillow where the hash was layed in at the downside and searched the bus, our beans, rice, salt etc. the whole time. He found nearly 60 gr. for which we had to pay some baksheesh and let us go. But we couldnt risk another control without cash money for baksheesh so I hided the stuff. When coming back the next day it was away. Guess our guide who was within the bust was faster than I. What a stuff. Bought it directely at a farmer in the Ketama region where we lived for 4 days. The last evening I could convinced him to sell me some of his best private stuff. Slabs of around 200 gr., creamy, dark brown outside light brown to yellow inside. Smell and flavour like heaven and bubbling and sizzling when heated - one of the best moroccans I've tried, REAL Zero Zero. And I've tried A LOT of m. over the decades.

I had a Moroccan sebsi with a clay skuff and kept it intact for over a decade. LOVED that pipe.....might need to get another. :headbang:

Oh man, this is my kind of thread!

Just to chime in on the kief/keef/kif confusion.

Traditionally the word kif in Morocco refers to a mixture of small buds, popcorn buds etc and a dark, black-ish tobacco that they also grow, but in the rest of the world it means unpressed hash, and even pressed hash. Where I'm at, the word keef meant pressed hash untill expousure to U.S. cannabis culture made the word change meaning, and now it refers to unpressed hash.

Maybe the same is happening in Morocco?

Anybody noticed the increase of sativa hashes on the European market in the last year or two? Used to be, as @Hogni described earlier, that the herb almost exclusively meant a sativa rush, and the hashish meant a body high... not anymore!

What do you mean with "sativa hashes"? Made of european commercial trichomes or coming from Morocco/Lebanon, made of modern sativa hybrids etc.?
German hash market ist still dominated by moroccan hashes (guess at least 80-90%)
I don't agree with your classification "herb" stands for "sativa rush", "hash" for a "indica/body high".

Pure energetic sativa herbs are pretty rare on german market. Reason for that is german customers are nearly never interested in connoisseur stuff for higher prices. They want the heaviest buzz for cheap - related to local prices. There is a north-south divide regarding prices. Northward the Main you get it on the street for small amounts from 7-10 €/g, southward for 10-15 €.

Imagine you grow a commercial indica/slightly sativa influenced hybrid. Flowering time is 8-9 weeks. If you grow a real sativa flowering time is at least 12-14 weeks. If you grow a landrace/heirloom sativa it's going fast up to 26 (!) weeks. Yield of pure sativas is the half to 2/3 compared to commercial (mostly) indica varieties. Price of this stuff has to be economically (cause of longer flowering time AND less yield) at least x3 or even x4. Nearly nobody here in Germany is such a connoisseur that he is able a/o willing to pay 20 or 30 €/gr in the north resp. 30-40/g in the south. So you have to grow it yourself or with luck you get some private stash from a grower.

As a conclusion you don't get nearly never real sativas who could really stand for sativas on the black market.
I know there are a lot of MJ varieties offered by seedbanks as "mostly sativa" with flowering times of 9 -12w. But there are only a few strains within you can find phenos which deliver a nearly real sativa rush.

EDIT: My experiences with growing REAL landrace sativas:

- Columbian Gold (BCO)
- Columbian Punto Rojo (BCO)
- Columbian Black (BCO)
- Black Haze (BCO)
- different "OG" Hazes (FD Haze + OT Haze (BCO) + OT Purple Haze (BCO))
- Michoacan (Brought along by a friend from Mexiko)
- Guerrero (Brought along by a friend from Mexiko)
- Laos (sampled by a friend who is married with canna farmer daughter in Laos)
- Thai (selected by my friend from Laos)

Unfortunately all pure Sativa can't show their whole potential when grown indoors.
Will try it again with my just bought but still undelivered new lamp setup:

- 548W Greenception LED GC-Bar 8 WiFi
- + UV (ReptiSun 10.0 T5HO UVB 50W)

Very optimistically that this setup can bring out more of sativa potential.

Last edited:
Some of the hashes are Dutch I believe, but most are Moroccan, seemingly made with newer hybrids. What the genetics are, I can unfortunately only speculate.

When I say sativa hashes, I mean energetic, mind racing hashes, as opposed to the more sedative hashes from my youth days. On the very rare occasions we got weed back in those days, it was usually very strong sativa hazes etc, for the connossieur market.

Now there are all kinds of both weed and hashes.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back