Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy To Text or not To Text?

Helios

When Messenging with others (friends, coworkers, lovers, etc) are you one who responds to text messages immediately or are you a non responder? Does it annoy you if others do not respond within an appropriate time frame?
I fall somewhere in between depending on circumstances, not the slowest to respond but not flash Gordon either.

texting via oldschool sms - i am medium myself, though it obviously depends on circumstance / nature of the txt. i dont use other messengers. but with email i usually take my sweet time. everyone carrying a smartphone these days seems to have changed (shortened) the expectancy of what is an ok timeframe to read & reply to an email. i dont care for that. it makes me want to go back to stagecoaches & quills.

Times have changed, it seems, along with communication etiquette. Email became the primary communication method, in the 90s, often with follow up phone conversations. With email, a response was expected within a day of two but often a back and forth conversation would take place at the time if both parties were at their computers. Then when texting via cell phones became a common form of communication, more immediate responses were expected.

There are people that I communicate with solely through email and our messages to each other are sporadic. It could be weeks of even more between messages. I communicate with my inner circle of friends via phone text and phone conversations. I text throughout the day with these folks and I respond when I happen to pick up my phone and when I am not otherwise occupied, but I do respond. I don't necessarily pick up my phone every time I hear the notification that a text has arrived. I don't interrupt what I'm doing to read and respond to texts, unless a back and forth conversation is in progress and a response is time sensitive.

What I have noticed is that the younger generation seems to have a different text etiquette. They don't respond to confirm receipt of a text or plans made. I don't know, maybe it is just the young people that I know but when someone suggests we meet sonewhere, I will always respond to confirm our plans. The youngsters don't respond to confirm but show up. Is RSVP dead?

What I have noticed is that the younger generation seems to have a different text etiquette. They don't respond to confirm receipt of a text or plans made. I don't know, maybe it is just the young people that I know but when someone suggests we meet sonewhere, I will always respond to confirm our plans. The youngsters don't respond to confirm but show up. Is RSVP dead?
Haha was wondering this, having a few family members in their 20's in our immidiate circle, funny was going to send them an RSVP request, didn't waste my time messenging it out in the end. Prbly get no confirm.

it makes me want to go back to stagecoaches & quills
:rofl:

Last edited:
I find it rude when in a group one person (my wife, lol) is texting or calling on their phone subjecting the group to their business.

When I have an important call, I excuse myself and make the call. But I don't continue to subject everyone to my business.

I don't feel I have to respond to texts right away. That's what calling is for. I respond when it's convenient. I don't stop what I'm doing.

Never text. Never had a cell phone. Still surprised they caught on. Thought they were a fad - like CB radios (and just as useful, IMO). Can't get over how people will say anything out loud, anywhere. (A long time ago, public telephones were housed in booths, for privacy. It's true, look it up. :nod:) As a non-adopter, texting is preferable.

On the other hand, love email. So civilized. Like writing letters, only fast and free. Enjoyed long correspondences with all sorts of people. Not so much, lately, but chalked it up to bachelorhood. Tend to reply quickly, but part of the appeal is that you're free to do so at your leisure, if at all. A telephone call is like ringing a bell and demanding immediate attention, by comparison. Let the robots have them.

I don't mind getting texts for short messages. I rarely start a text exchange, and get frustrated if someone wants to have a conversation by text. A few friends love to have long conversations by text, but if it takes more than a few texts I prefer someone call me and just talk to me. Texting back and forth over hours is tedious, and I won't do it any more. Call, write, come by, but don't keep interrupting me over and over. It makes it hard to get anything done.

Call if it's urgent, but don't talk for too long.

Txt if you want a response within a couple of hours, don't txt me essays though.

Emails = business.

Social media for chats, sharing and fun, but might not be answered for a couple of days.

Knock on my door, and if I let you in, it will be cups of tea, coffee, biscuits, cake, lunch, dinner, beer if I've got any and a vape if your that way inclined. :cheers:

I remember when the big switch to mobile email in business with the BlackBerry 10+ years ago. There was a sudden shift to peoples response expectations. If it is urgent call so I can prioritise it or get someone to address it.

I like messaging platforms where you can send messages, memes, gifs etc. If it requires more than 3 or 4 messages talking is much easier.

They all have their place in modern society but too many are controlled by the message service rather than controlling it.

I like messaging platforms where you can send messages, memes, gifs etc
Same here vastly superior to SMS, hold more data and is encrypted (if discretion is ones thing)

With the instant contact at our fingers as someone else mentioned here, hearing the phone ring is like classical conditioning but unlike Pavlovs salivating mutts, calls are generally directed to Vm, I even changed my ring tone to something relaxing, less annoying.
After 6pm my phone goes right into airplane mode, don't want anybody calling unless it's an emergency.
Funny how we developed mobile ettiquettes with the everything now generation.

I think I sounded grumpier than I am about text messages. It's true I don't often enjoy a long drawn out conversation that could quickly be dealt with in a phone call, but I do like the ability to send or receive a quick text. I also don't mind sending long conversational texts. Calls aren't always needed or possible. I am glad to have a cell phone. Long distance calls used to cost crazy money, and now they are included for one low, low, monthly rate. Plus, how easy is it to check for cheating? You don't have to wait for a credit card bill! If not for texts, my Dix Pix Photo Album would be nearly empty except for a handful (!!!) of Polaroids that survived the Great Purge of '05.

Last edited:
c9a6b057d22bab6131306d03d17d2bae.jpg

I too am glad. Very glad that was the case but there were a bunch of crazy/hilarious shit I wish I had video of.

We decided to record a few of our cars tearing up a car park with donuts & burnouts etc. It required getting a video camera & some planning but it was watched 100's of times. Difference is only a few of us had copies & it never went viral. Nowdays it would be live streamed from a gang of angles & we all would end up arrested as the cars were known by the law :lol:

sometimes i want to strangle my brother, who to be fair has a newborn and is busy with work, so maybe ill give him a soft pass, but when i ask a question which needs answering, it takes him literally a week to respond, that is just plain fucking rude.
anyone have these frustrations with family lately? or do people insta text right back?

sometimes i want to strangle my brother, who to be fair has a newborn and is busy with work, so maybe ill give him a soft pass, but when i ask a question which needs answering, it takes him literally a week to respond, that is just plain fucking rude.
anyone have these frustrations with family lately? or do people insta text right back?
So irritating; isn't it? I have a few friends that do that. Drives me nuts.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back