Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Trimming and drying

What do you recommend to read?

Sadly, most reading is work related. There's a lot of it, and it's terribly dull. The Watchmen graphic novel was the last fun thing read. Definitely recommended for a light read. The recent HBO series was also brilliant. Always a fan of Dr. Manhattan. (Hence, the new avatar.) Perceiving time as he does, free of Einstein's persistent illusion, is on the bucket list. Making progress. Also, Disrupt (and Accept) talk like Rorshach, which was accidental.

Make sure the tricones are ready!

Started trimming the sugar leaves, because some were drying out. Noticed that even with stretching the branches horizontally under the trellis , apical buds were glued together. Needed to push them apart to get at the sugar leaf stems. The parts that weren't exposed to the light are completely unripe. Need to delay harvest, which is fine. There are still few amber trichomes.

Sadly, most reading is work related. There's a lot of it, and it's terribly dull. The Watchmen graphic novel was the last fun thing read. Definitely recommended for a light read. The recent HBO series was also brilliant. Always a fan of Dr. Manhattan. (Hence, the new avatar.) Perceiving time as he does, free of Einstein's persistent illusion, is on the bucket list. Making progress. Also, Disrupt (and Accept) talk like Rorshach, which was accidental.

Started trimming the sugar leaves, because some were drying out. Noticed that even with stretching the branches horizontally under the trellis , apical buds were glued together. Needed to push them apart to get at the sugar leaf stems. The parts that weren't exposed to the light are completely unripe. Need to delay harvest, which is fine. There are still few amber trichomes.
Einstein by Walter ISSACOV? Decent read!
It’s getting so cheap where I live?
Growing since the 70’s so it’s more for fun than cash!
My seed collection is huge.
My garden is beautifully done like MONET was here?
CANNABIS is a pretty tree!
CIVILIZED CITY with street’s lined with CANNABIS TREE’s 2 create peace☮️!

finger.jpg

Finger wax. (Yes, it could easily be mistaken for rodent droppings.) The live-trim method produces several hits worth each night. Probably some finger in this batch.

How would you vape this? It's not exactly full melt. The smart thing to do would be to dissolve in ethanol, winterize, filter and purge. Might try that. The effects are good, very stoney.

I draw the line at scissor hash, I wear gloves during harvest (handy if I have o answer the door for my latest bong etc delivery). It sounds like you know what you will do with it.
I missed the winterize bit with my first go at avb and jar trich oil (it was not in the videos I watched, nest time)

So, trimming the intact plant seemed worthwhile - the unripe parts quickly caught up. Flushing now.

What about drying the intact plant as well? Let the medium dry out after the flush and harvest when the buds are ready to jar? Seems like they would dry slowly. Foresee any problems?

So, trimming the intact plant seemed worthwhile - the unripe parts quickly caught up. Flushing now.

What about drying the intact plant as well? Let the medium dry out after the flush and harvest when the buds are ready to jar? Seems like they would dry slowly. Foresee any problems?
I use a moisture meter at 62% +/- 1% sometimes 2% however 62% work’s for my need’s!

Shatter! That is the worst consistency rosin I try to avoid making... I also need to harvest, 8 hours of solid work (30 mins a plant) split up over 2 or 3 days...next week maybe?
I look forward to seeing your dried buds @Disrupt

Harvest day. Super-sticky buds ripened pretty evenly. Looking forward to making shatter from them.

Always surprised by the amount of work. Couldn't handle manicuring more than one plant. This will take all night and some of tomorrow. :zzz:
Good on you!
I want to pop DUTCH CRUNCH SEED’s this week MARCH 1st ready to plant outside!
COLAS are life worth living!

I finally finished hanging my harvest and must say they did not mind me neglecting them,
IMG_20200319_162758.jpg

IMG_20200319_162849.jpg

Thanks, guys and gals, I wish you were all closer so I could share, theses buds are ridiculously tasty, I just had to sample some fresh stuff and it is just so tasty without even curing...

Turning Waste into Gold: Making Good Use of Trim

The old adage waste not, want not certainly applies to often-discarded cannabis trim, which can be used in a wide array of ways to create many kinds of consumable products including a pizza topping.

Savvy growers know that when it comes to harvesting cannabis, the plant’s trim can be just as valuable as its bud. Sugar leaves, those smaller trichome-drenched leaves that grow out of the bud, often contain a significant amount of THC and CBD and, while fan leaves may comprise only a very light dusting of trichomes, they’re extremely nutritious and shouldn’t be regarded as waste either.

Here are a handful of brilliant ways to make use of every leaf on the cannabis plant you spent so much time growing.

4 Ways to Use Your Sugar Leaf​

Often coated in sugary trichomes come harvest season, the cannabis plant’s sugar leaves are a significant source of THC but tend to produce a much harsher smoke. As such, many growers prefer to trim the sugar leaves from their cannabis plant and toss them, while crafty cultivators will transform their trichome-covered leaves into valuable products.

Let’s have a closer look at four innovative ways to get the most out of your sugar leaves.

Transforming Leaf into Kief​

6ed4d822-630b-4dfe-a2ce-9f8893a45eb3.jpg

Turning sugar leaf into kief is like turning water into wine. A trimming machine will help growers collect kief (trichomes and loose resin) from trimmings automatically or they can use a silkscreen. Simply rub your sugar leaf across the silkscreen and let the kief fall through to a tray below. Since kief contains high levels of THC, many consumers choose to roll it into their joints for a more intense buzz. They can also press it into hash or bake it into cookies.

Homemade Hash Cakes​

92a65a9c-9670-41ed-8723-192e0a18ddf4.jpg

Producing hash from sugar leaf can be time consuming depending on the quality you’re after.
Hand-making hash is a sticky, often messy job and not exactly sanitary, but other DIY methods do exist. A pollen press is the simplest and most affordable tool growers can use to compress their kief into hash cakes.

Extract Rosin​

7856cab2-232a-4bb6-a84d-67e75d2b291b.jpg

Rosin is a semi-transparent cannabis concentrate that can boast levels of more than 80 percent THC content. Sugar leaf can be pressed into rosin with an industrial press or with a hair straightener and then reheated and vaporized. Either method promises intensely potent results.

Make Edibles with Trim

ec83292b-d3ff-455f-8e57-0cdabb5738f4.jpg

Whether you want to make marijuana muffins or wake-and-bake brownies, most edibles start with THC- or CBD-infused oil. Grind up your trim, bake (decarboxylate) it in the oven on low for 25 minutes and then toss it in a crockpot with coconut oil or butter for several hours. After running the mixture through a strainer, you can use the oil in an unlimited number of sweet and savory recipes.

The remaining plant matter and oil will still contain trichomes, so be sure to save it and try to extract even more later on.

Alternatives to Tossing Fan Leaves​

Fan leaves may not offer the psychoactive experience that makes the cannabis plant so popular, but that’s not to say they’re entirely worthless.

Below are three inventive ways to keep fan leaves out of the trash.

Make a Soothing Salve or Lotion​

ecda5490-fa16-4bd5-a712-be619cc3f457.jpg

Cannabinoids are easily absorbed through the skin, which makes them excellent for treating conditions like acne and localized pain such as arthritis.

A cannabis salve is reasonably easy to make at home and a terrific way to use all those fan leaves. Simply follow the steps above to make cannabis oil, and then slowly pour it into molten beeswax to make your salve. Stir well, and store in a cool, dark place.

Juiced Fan Leaves for Healthy Living​

5bb672c4-a75a-40d6-a74f-2c2f0df68575.jpg

Juicing marijuana is the probably easiest way to consume all the nutrients found in raw cannabis, including iron, zinc, and calcium. Simply toss 15 or more large fan leaves into a juicer and then add the juice to your favorite smoothie. Raw cannabis contains nearly zero THC, so consumers don’t need to worry about catching a buzz from this beverage. Growers can also freeze fan leaves to preserve their nutrients for future juicing.

Use as an Herb for Pizza​

f2cf7b7e-639f-4c0b-8234-88d65272e439.jpg

Dry fan leaves make a wonderful topping for pizzas and pastas, just like salt and pepper.

Simply grind up your dried leaves and sprinkle them on any dish you would normally season. Likewise, you can place dried cannabis leaves into a tea infuser with hot water and any other ingredients you enjoy for a tea that may promote relaxation

Trimming cannabis is a must for growers to ensure healthy plant growth and abundant yields, but there’s no need to throw away any part of the plant.

Even the roots and branches of a cannabis plant can have a useful afterlife. If you’ve dedicated months of your time and energy to growing and caring for a plant this year, why not make the most out of everything it has to offer?

I used to chuck the following in the bin after harvesting, then I found out it is great fodder for bubble bags, even a big old half dead leaf has trichomes, another reason to keep them on the plant until you harvest. :twocents:
1662818176085.jpg

I was a couple of weeks over my normal harvest period, will finish harvest tomorrow...light headed just from the smell...onion eyes!
1662818674649.png

Bucket of popcorn buds from the bottom of the plants ready for the freezer then bubble hash (plus afew of the mid-section buds ready to hang),
1662899394115.jpg

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back